Sailing from venice- pre cruise hotel ?

L7oopys

Hi

I am sailing from Venice in October and we would like to stay one night in venice before the cruise. Can anybody recomend a hotel or area to stay in venice which is isnt going to cost a fortune and easy to get to so we can see a bit of the city in a day?

Thanks

Just 10 days ago we stayed at Hilton Garden Inn in Mestre, on the mainland and a 10 minute bus journey to Venice. If we were returning to Venice we would definitely stay there again

We stayed there both before & after our cruise.

We stayed at Hotel Antioch Figure and its sister hotel. Across the canal from the train station and right on the water. Our water taxi dropped us directly at the hotel. We loved them both...welcome drinks and breakfast included. Don't overlook some of the smaller places.

I stayed at Violino d'Oro (a bit pricey, near St Marks), and Hotel Arlecchino (one bridge from Piazzle Roma). For the Arlecchino, you can take the bus (on land) from the airport to Piazzle Roma, and it is a small bridge to the hotel. I loved it and would stay there again. Their breakfast room was small so we had to wait a few minutes for a table. I highly recommend it. And get a canal view room if available.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are lots of hotels right on the island. If you are going to do Venice, then really do Venice.

We took the train into Venice from Switzerland. The terminal ends right at the water. We turned left and walked about two blocks to our hotel. I forget the name, but it is one of many. It is in our blog below.

Stayed at all three of the below. In order of preference:

(1) Hotel Moresco - good location near Piazzale Roma. Fabulous personal service and terrific happy hour (free with purchase of a 2 euro soda)...

(2) Antiche Figure - great location on the Grand Canal across from the train station; excellent personal service

(3) Papadapoli - good location near Piazzale Roma

We stayed at Hotel Antioch Figure and its sister hotel. Across the canal from the train station and right on the water. Our water taxi dropped us directly at the hotel. We loved them both...welcome drinks and breakfast included. Don't overlook some of the smaller places.

I too have stayed at the Hotel Antiche Figure and also the Hilton Milano Stucky. I really loved both. Unfortunately, the Hotel Antiche would not allow us to reserve only a 1 evening stay so we stayed at the Hilton instead. It is located on a little island directly across from the heart of Venice but is easily accessible by ferry. As stated, the Hotel Antiche is ideally situated and reasonably priced. The Hilton is a bit pricey, especially if you want a Canal view, however, the views are amazing!

Edited by roddy good boy

I've stayed at Airbnb flats in the city - each with canal views - one near San Marco, one in Dorsoduro and one near Fenice Opera

I took the airport boat to the city (cheapest option albeit it a bit long)

as for hotels I loved the Westin also with canal views. depends on your budget. I have lodging reviews on travel blog PhilaTravelGirl and if first time Airbnb user there's a discount code in posts to use

I love Venice and it's totally worth it to get into the city even for one night

I did however store my luggage at the airport and take only overnight bad to make life easier - best money spent!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Venice pages on europeforvisitors dot com have many useful suggestions for hotels , taking into account the location you want, number of bridges you have to clamber over, and is generally helpful about transportation and so on.

We also stayed in Mestre, hotel called B4 or D3 or something like that. Was a short bus or cab ride into Venice, but a quarter of the cost of Venice hotels. More "American" than traditional European old hotels with wonky floors etc.

Hi

We stayed at Elite residence hotel in Mestre.

They do a fly to cruise package.

They pick you up from airport, welcome drink in bar, bed and breakfast and transfer to cruise terminal in the morning.

Made it very easy not having to arrange cabs.

No lugging cases around Venice.

The tram stop is a 5 minute walk and you're in Venice in 15 minutes €3 return.

We stayed at the Locanda Vivaldi and would highly recommend. Reasonably priced (for Venice) boutique hotel named after the composer. Included breakfast. Charming and unique rooms, either facing the canals or a garden. Walk right across the bridge out front into St. Mark's Square and all of the sights. Water taxi service right out front as well. Really can't beat the location. Our family still talks about our stay there (and it was a few summers ago).

I don`t think it`s possible to go wrong with anything-But do stay on the island. The most fun is getting lost after a couple glasses of vino! You`ll usually find your way home, but the ole iPhone`ll get you there. We stayed at the Hotel Scandinavia. Fabulous folks at desk, bent over backwards to help. On a great piazza, central to everything! Good free breakfast.

We stayed outside the city at the Crowne Plaza Venice East on two different occasions. The train station is right on the doorstep and for a couple of Euros you can take the 25-30min train ride right into Venice. We went in to Venice the day before the cruise and explored, ate, shopped. Then the next day we took the train in again and went over the bridge with our luggage to the people-mover that takes you to the cruise port. The hotel allowed us to keep our vehicle in their lot for the duration of our cruise.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g227671-d488915-Reviews-Crowne_Plaza_Venice_East_Quarto_d_Altino-Quarto_D_Altino_Veneto.html

We visited Venice for a cruise in 2010.

If you like spending $400 a night at a expensive hotel, you probably want to stay close to St. Mark's Plaza. However, then you have to get there and options are expensive.

If you want a hotel that allows you to walk the city, yet convenient to bus transportation from the airport and the people mover to the cruise port, then I recommend a hotel near the Piazzale Roma. The Venice cruise port website has some hotels listed.

If you can't find any you like there, try across the bridge near the main train station. You can walk there from the Piazzale Roma.

Some people like staying in Mestre, we did one night and frankly, I didn't care for having to take the train in to Venice. Also, Mestre is not a tourist destination in itself.

Last year we stayed at the BW Olimpia over one short bridge from the Piazza Romo. We took the bus from the airport and it was a 5 minute walk. On embarkation day we walked to the People Mover and rode to the port. Hotel was great and the breakfast was wonderful.

Hi

I am sailing from Venice in October and we would like to stay one night in venice before the cruise. Can anybody recomend a hotel or area to stay in venice which is isnt going to cost a fortune and easy to get to so we can see a bit of the city in a day?

Thanks

We stayed at

Casa Favaretto

a very nice clean place, i would stay there again, it is a shared bathrooms, it freaked me out at first but it was no big deal, there are 4 or 5 rooms, it is on the Allilaguna line from the airport, close to Saint Marks square, and you can take vaperretos near by, and also take the allilaguna to the cruise port. close to restaurants....

Last year we stayed at the BW Olimpia over one short bridge from the Piazza Romo. We took the bus from the airport and it was a 5 minute walk. On embarkation day we walked to the People Mover and rode to the port. Hotel was great and the breakfast was wonderful.

Hotel Arlecchino is next door. Highly recommended....

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Mestre, both pre & post-cruise. Very convenient as the bus from the airport to Piazzele Roma stops right in front of the hotel. Excellent restaurant in the hotel.

The only problem that we had was post-cruise. The bus stop is across a highway from the hotel and you have to use a pedestrian overpass to cross the highway. The elevators were not working, so we had to drag our luggage up 2 flights of stairs.

We stayed outside the city at the Crowne Plaza Venice East on two different occasions. The train station is right on the doorstep and for a couple of Euros you can take the 25-30min train ride right into Venice. We went in to Venice the day before the cruise and explored, ate, shopped. Then the next day we took the train in again and went over the bridge with our luggage to the people-mover that takes you to the cruise port. The hotel allowed us to keep our vehicle in their lot for the duration of our cruise.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g227671-d488915-Reviews-Crowne_Plaza_Venice_East_Quarto_d_Altino-Quarto_D_Altino_Veneto.html

We stayed there as well. Great hotel. They have free bikes you can use to cycle around the area.

It's one of the most important areas as far as Venice goes. Attila the Hun besieged Altono and all the residents retreated to some marsh land so that they wouldn't be followed. And that marsh land is now Venice.

There are some really good roman ruins and parts of streets a 1/2 hour bike ride away in a museum. Fantastic day out in itself. Reception will give you a map and a bike. Enjoy.

We thought the trouble staying in Venice was all the walking and bridges, we saw lots of hot sweaty people lugging suitcases around, not luggage friendly at all.

Lots of good suggestions so far.

I've stayed both in Venice and Mestre and both have their merits.

The obvious is to stay in Venice and really appreciate the views and the very different atmosphere at night. You just have to be aware of location if any mobility issues.

On my 2nd visit my budget was lower so Mestre was the choice, As other posters have mentioned there is a cheap and direct bus back from Venice and I honestly welcomed the chance to sit down after a long day walking around. Dining was cheaper too.

I have never cruised from Venice but I did spend a few wonderful days there recently. I stayed at the Hotel Ala, which is perfectly situated a couple of minutes walk from Piazza San Marco. It is only about 100 yards from a water taxi stand where boats leave both for the train station and the airport. A beautiful buffet breakfast is included. I would highly recommend it.

I highly recommend the Best Western Hotel Olimpia. Look it up on T-A and see the reviews. Lots of people use it for pre-cruise. It is in an amazing location for getting to the ship, meaning you can walk! The price is good and the breakfast buffet was delicious. There is a water taxi stop right at the hotel. I could go on and on.