CCL onboard credit for owning stock.

dockman

I’m wondering ..if we purchase the shares now...would that apply to our upcoming two long cruises? We have put a deposit down but not paid for either of them. I think I need to call.

That’s how it worked for me last year. Booked the September cruise in February, bought the stock in May, and faxed the June brokerage statement in July. Got confirmation email within a couple of hours.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m wondering ..if we purchase the shares now...would that apply to our upcoming two long cruises? We have put a deposit down but not paid for either of them. I think I need to call.

As ArtsyCraftsy said, "Yes".

Good news:

• If the "long" cruises are 14+ days and homeported in the US, it's $250 per.

Middling news:

• It's technically use-it-or-lose-it OBC, but I've heard tell of folks getting a refund on unused SOBC.

Bad news:

• Unless they've changed the rules, you'll need to apply separately for each cruise.

• It's one SOBC per stateroom, even if y'all own two separate 100 share blocks.

There are actually a lot more fax machines then you might imagine. Many of us have multi-function printers (some of which cost no more than $100) which can print, fax, and copy (this is invaluable in our home). You can also go to any of the "mailbox" type places and pay a very small fee to fax anywhere.

Hank

But then you need to have a phone line. I have a multi function printer but no phone line. :D

So I send it again by email and it was accepted, one last time. Just last week.

as for this " Financial compliance laws prohibit us from accepting and transmitting unsecured email of guest financial records." That is a head scratcher. As a one time Washington resident I was able to sell a house by using only email. Buy, sell , inspection and check deposit. So, their Fax is "secure" but their desktop email is not

Good news:

Middling news:

• It's technically use-it-or-lose-it OBC, but I've heard tell of folks getting a refund on unused SOBC.

Bad news:

• Unless they've changed the rules, you'll need to apply separately for each cruise.

This is good news. Our next trip is 34 days, the Kon Tiki sept 10 (FLL.) And the next one is Jan 30 Antarctica... not sure how long that is...22 days I think...but that leaves out of Argentina...not US ... do you not get the OBC for cruises leaving from other countries? That would be a deal breaker as we often go out of Amsterdam, Copenhagen...etc.

Good news:

Middling news:

Bad news:

This is good news. Our next trip is 34 days, the Kon Tiki sept 10 (FLL.) And the next one is Jan 30 Antarctica... not sure how long that is...22 days I think...but that leaves out of Argentina...not US ... do you not get the OBC for cruises leaving from other countries? That would be a deal breaker as we often go out of Amsterdam, Copenhagen...etc.

bolding is mine. I am not sure where haboob got the idea that the cruise had to be homeported int the US. I don't see any restriction in the Carnival Corp policy that states that, and I got the credit for a Rome to Barcelona cruise. Maybe that restriction is for Royal Caribbean or NCL?

Good news:

Where are you getting that homeported stuff from?

We recently got the $250 OBC for this August's 20-night Viking Passage on the Zuiderdam out of Copenhagen ...

For the $250 OBC, you have to be sailing on a "North America Brand" cruise line of Carnival Corp; here's their policy:

http://www.carnivalcorp.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

Where are you getting that homeported stuff from?

It doesn't matter where he's getting it from. It's flat out wrong.

I can't remember the last time I sailed out of a US home port; they are few and far between. I get the shareholders' credit on every cruise since I purchased it back in '06.

bolding is mine. I am not sure where haboob got the idea that the cruise had to be homeported int the US. I don't see any restriction in the Carnival Corp policy that states that, and I got the credit for a Rome to Barcelona cruise. Maybe that restriction is for Royal Caribbean or NCL?

I didn't say that the ship had to be home-ported in the US. I said that *if* it

were home-ported in the US, SOBC on a 14+ day CCL cruise would be $250.

Other homeports, other amounts: AU$250, £150, €200.

For what it's worth, I think South American cruises are generally home-ported in the US

For what it's worth, I think South American cruises are generally home-ported in the US

The amount of the onboard credit depends on the currency of the ship, which in the case of Holland America is always the US Dollar. If you look at the Carnival Corp Website you will find that the amounts you list are for Australian Brands, Continental Europe Brands, and UK Brands respectively. Holland America is a US Brand which ALWAYS uses the USD for on board currency, with the possible exception of a few cruises totally in Australian waters marketed to Australians.

The pdf for OBC can be found here - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiDpPaNtczaAhVI0lMKHegpD8cQFghRMAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fphx.corporate-ir.net%2Fphoenix.zhtml%3Fc%3D140690%26p%3Dirol-sharebenefit_pf&usg=AOvVaw3JufYOsAuZ5GkmsxFF1o16

Since the CCL shareholder benefit policy does not turn on nor use the word "homeport," your use of it injected confusion here. Per CCL's written policy, which has been linked in comments above, the amount of the benefit turns on the length of the cruise and the "brand" of the cruise line -- North American Brands, Continental Europe Brands, etc.

Since the CCL shareholder benefit policy does not turn on nor use the word "homeport," your use of it injected confusion here. Per CCL's written policy, which has been linked in comments above, the amount of the benefit turns on the length of the cruise and the "brand" of the cruise line -- North American Brands, Continental Europe Brands, etc.

::nods::

Most of the time I'm over on Princess, but next cruise I'm over here on HAL.

Their ships swap regions frequently. I've gotten AU$ SOBC on the Emerald

on one cruise, but then after it did a trans-Pacific and came over to Santa

Clarita territory, I got US$ SOBC on her during a cruise a few months later.

That apparently doesn't happen over here on the HAL side?

::nods::

Most of the time I'm over on Princess, but next cruise I'm over here on HAL.

Their ships swap regions frequently. I've gotten AU$ SOBC on the Emerald

on one cruise, but then after it did a trans-Pacific and came over to Santa

Clarita territory, I got US$ SOBC on her during a cruise a few months later.

That apparently doesn't happen over here on the HAL side?

No, it doesn't happen on HAL. Princess is under 3 operating companies: Princess, Princess UK and Princess Australia. HAL is only under one.

From the linked pdf:

*The onboard credit for Carnival Cruise Line,

Costa Cruises, Cunard and Princess Cruises is

determined based on the operational currency

onboard the vessel. Please visit our corporation

website at www.carnivalcorp.com for updates.

• 1 month later...

HELP WITH CCL on board credit please!

Once you fax proof of your CCL stock as a shareholder and required information, how long before it is posted, AND, where can I find it on my booking on the new HAL website. I have looked all over without any luck. Thanks in advance for your help !

Once you fax proof of your CCL stock as a shareholder and required information, how long before it is posted, AND, where can I find it on my booking on the new HAL website. I have looked all over without any luck. Thanks in advance for your help !

If you have a TA, HAL only shows payments and OBC's to your TA.

I just did it the other day. My TA, whom is also my DMIL, got notice in less than 24 hrs that it has been applied to my account. $250 for a 14 day Koningsdam cruise on August 5.

Yes, in fact, unless things have changed, you only have to own the stock within 6 months of your embarkation date.

Obviously this has to be 6 months before, because it would be a little hard to get some OBC for a cruise thats already over.

I generally do it the weeks after final payment has been made, once the next brokerage statement shows up, as at that point we are always within the window.

Cheers,

I just did my stock fax last week -- submitted the fax at 1:10 PM; received the email confirmation at 2:04 PM (less than an hour). And Alberta Quilter's direction for the new website is spot on if you booked directly with HAL.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

But then you need to have a phone line. I have a multi function printer but no phone line. :D

So I send it again by email and it was accepted, one last time. Just last week.

as for this " Financial compliance laws prohibit us from accepting and transmitting unsecured email of guest financial records." That is a head scratcher. As a one time Washington resident I was able to sell a house by using only email. Buy, sell , inspection and check deposit. So, their Fax is "secure" but their desktop email is not

Its more secure than non-encrypted email. The phone connection is temporary point-to-point connection between source and the destination fax machine, nothing is doing store and forward type operations and once you terminate it, its all over.

When you send an email, even to someone in the same household, you really have no idea how many servers it landed on and for how long it is retained there. There could be copies of your emails sitting around in Server Cache or even be deliberately copied and saved for later viewing.

If you didn't book with a TA, you would find it in My Bookings (after logging in, of course). Find your booking and click on Manage Payments. The OBC shows on the right hand side under Cruise Fare and Taxes, Fees.

Thanks all for the info! It has been just 24 hours so I will keep checking. Usually I see it the same day online, but not this time.

Its more secure than non-encrypted email. The phone connection is temporary point-to-point connection between source and the destination fax machine, nothing is doing store and forward type operations and once you terminate it, its all over.

When you send an email, even to someone in the same household, you really have no idea how many servers it landed on and for how long it is retained there. There could be copies of your emails sitting around in Server Cache or even be deliberately copied and saved for later viewing.

In addition the PDF format (as well as many others) has been used to place viruses on computers. Since this happens upon opening the PDF, it is difficult to stop. For more information on this, please click HERE.

So I saw several people on earlier pages of this thread say that they own their CCL stock in their IRAs. Just want to confirm that you haven't had any problems getting your shareholder OBC when the owner of the stock is "Stephanie's IRA" instead of just "Stephanie." If I'm going to buy the stock, I would prefer to do so in my IRA so just want to make sure that this isn't going to be a problem.

Addressing something else from the thread, I went to a presentation given by the future cruise consultant on Maasdam in April, which wasn't about future itineraries but how to save money on your next booking, and she definitely mentioned buying the stock to get OBC.

Curious also if your OBC gets treated like a dividend for tax purposes (i.e. do you get taxed on that money)? Actually for that matter, isn't it problematic getting a cash benefit now from your IRA investment? I don't have enough in my ROTH to do it there and I'm not old enough for tax-free benes from my Traditional. I'm talking about the OBC, not dividends. Or am I just overthinking this? :)

Yes, in fact, unless things have changed, you only have to own the stock within 6 months of your embarkation date.

Obviously this has to be 6 months before, because it would be a little hard to get some OBC for a cruise thats already over.

I generally do it the weeks after final payment has been made, once the next brokerage statement shows up, as at that point we are always within the window.

Cheers,

That’s not true. I literally just bought the stock this week and my cruise departs August 5.

So I saw several people on earlier pages of this thread say that they own their CCL stock in their IRAs. Just want to confirm that you haven't had any problems getting your shareholder OBC when the owner of the stock is "Stephanie's IRA" instead of just "Stephanie." If I'm going to buy the stock, I would prefer to do so in my IRA so just want to make sure that this isn't going to be a problem.

Addressing something else from the thread, I went to a presentation given by the future cruise consultant on Maasdam in April, which wasn't about future itineraries but how to save money on your next booking, and she definitely mentioned buying the stock to get OBC.

Curious also if your OBC gets treated like a dividend for tax purposes (i.e. do you get taxed on that money)? Actually for that matter, isn't it problematic getting a cash benefit now from your IRA investment? I don't have enough in my ROTH to do it there and I'm not old enough for tax-free benes from my Traditional. I'm talking about the OBC, not dividends. Or am I just overthinking this? :)

The SOBC "cannot be exchanged for cash". I'll let your tax professional explain that to you. ;)

That’s not true. I literally just bought the stock this week and my cruise departs August 5.

Thats less than 6 months? Whats your point? Mine was that if sold you stock on say February 10, you would still be in the 6 month window. You don't have to own the stock for 6 months or own it 6 months prior to your cruise, you just have to own the stock, even for 1 day, within the previous 6 months from your departure.