Comparison Between Azamara and Oceania

sabrefan

We too have used both Az and a B to B on Oceania R class..this was handled really well. The finer touches, furnishings, chinawear etc is slightly better on O and it's a very clean line. It's difficult to put my finger on it, but Az is a better cruise.

The ship (O) is somewhat lacking in personality, and is dead in the evening with acres of empty ship. Itineraries are on a par, all too expensive, but on Az the captain himself will often wave you off with a cheery word.

Different strokes for different folks but everyone we met on our O cruise preferred AZ.:cool:

Your comment about lack of personality and being dead in the evening hits the nail on the head for us, on our one Riviera experience. The so-called more economical non-inclusive for alcohol policy contributes to that I think. There is a mad scramble in any bar where there's a happy hour, so much so you can't find a seat. Otherwise, you could shoot a canon off.

Going on Oceania for the first time next month...on Insignia, so I should be able to do a pretty straightforward comparison. Will report back on our return. (but I have two Azamara cruises booked after that :D)

We spent a month on Insignia last Nov. for S. America. Although we are not very social, you tend to meet very nice and polite people on board when you travel for a month.

DH would play ping pong in daily tournaments and it was so much fun meeting people from all over the world that shared the enjoyment of the game. I played the golf putting games and there is plenty of fun and laughter. Lot's to do on board, especially on sea days where you will meet many interesting people. On such a long cruise, the age demographic tends to skew older due to time away and retirement.

We would stop by happy hour occasionally and never found it packed with people, but many just enjoying a cocktail prior to dinner. Most seemed to share tables at dinner, although we always dine alone. Those that do drink (majority enjoy a cocktail or wine) have no problem paying for what they want.

We had the OS and were able to change out the liquor for wine and they would take it and chill it for us to enjoy anytime we wanted it. They also changed out the champagne provided in our suite with no problem. AZ would not do that for us when I asked to change the bottles for wine provided in the OS last month. They also would not change out the champagne and it ended up being poured down the drain.

I also love the Bvgari bath products on O. Large and plentiful vs: the tiny little bottles of an unfamiliar brand given on AZ. These little things to me mean the difference between a Ritz and a Marriot and I enjoy the extra luxury.

DH is not a picky eater, but did mention that he thought the food on AZ was just average and he missed his lobster and lamb chops that are available every evening if you choose to dine in the Terrace Cafe after a long day of touring.

Lot's of positives on O, and I am sure you will enjoy your cruise. AZ has some nice itineraries and that is why we chose our last cruise with them. The timing and itinerary were perfect. We had a lovely cruise with AZ.

We've cruised twice on Oceania: a week on Regatta in the Mediterranean and 34 days in the South Pacific, Australia, and New Zealand on Marina, so I've been on both size ships. I liked Marina a bit more for the size, but the culinary center was amazing. I took three or four classes there plus a couple of excursions connected with the chef. We don't drink much except for an occasional glass of wine, but we took advantage of the specialty restaurants. We almost always sat with other people and enjoyed meeting others from all over the world. The cabin was wonderful and the bed.... heavenly comfort. Service was excellent.

Our first Azamara cruise was on the Quest in March of '16, the last voyage of that vessel before going to dry dock. The Asian itinerary was shortened by several days so that the ship could get into the dock sooner, but while we were on board, electricians and electronics technicians were already busy working in public areas. There was dust everywhere in the hallways and people lined up in the medical office with coughs. (Thank goodness I travel with my own asthma nebulizer and medication, because I needed it.) The crew were very apologetic about the conditions, and the company certainly compensated us for the inconvenience (discounts, onboard credits, etc.) but I have to say it was unpleasant. We took advantage of the offers to book a 13-day UK (golf) cruise this year for July on the Journey so I'm withholding my opinion until we complete that voyage. I do think the food wasn't as good as on Oceania- not even close. The fruits and vegetables (especially the fruit) were just plain terrible, right down to the limes in drinks. Since I'm not a pastry fan and rely on fruit as my dessert, this was very disappointing.

We've cruised twice on Oceania: a week on Regatta in the Mediterranean and 34 days in the South Pacific, Australia, and New Zealand on Marina, so I've been on both size ships. I liked Marina a bit more for the size, but the culinary center was amazing. I took three or four classes there plus a couple of excursions connected with the chef. We don't drink much except for an occasional glass of wine, but we took advantage of the specialty restaurants. We almost always sat with other people and enjoyed meeting others from all over the world. The cabin was wonderful and the bed.... heavenly comfort. Service was excellent.

Our first Azamara cruise was on the Quest in March of '16, the last voyage of that vessel before going to dry dock. The Asian itinerary was shortened by several days so that the ship could get into the dock sooner, but while we were on board, electricians and electronics technicians were already busy working in public areas. There was dust everywhere in the hallways and people lined up in the medical office with coughs. (Thank goodness I travel with my own asthma nebulizer and medication, because I needed it.) The crew were very apologetic about the conditions, and the company certainly compensated us for the inconvenience (discounts, onboard credits, etc.) but I have to say it was unpleasant. We took advantage of the offers to book a 13-day UK (golf) cruise this year for July on the Journey so I'm withholding my opinion until we complete that voyage. I do think the food wasn't as good as on Oceania- not even close. The fruits and vegetables (especially the fruit) were just plain terrible, right down to the limes in drinks. Since I'm not a pastry fan and rely on fruit as my dessert, this was very disappointing.

That's good you are keeping an open mind about Azamara and not basing your opinion on a cruise that was not typical. We are also on the British Open cruise--our first with Azamara. We enjoyed our cruise on Oceania so I'm interested to compare the two.

Right now I'm disappointed that Oceania has quit allowing passengers flying from non-gateway cities to take advantage of their $149 premium economy air upgrade. They had a couple Mediterranean itineraries we liked, but not being eligible for that upgrade takes away O's edge.

I am an Azamara fan but one area where I have felt they could step up is with the variety of fresh fruit on board. Having left the Quest less than two weeks ago I can report there has been a big improvement.

The quality and variety of fruit is now very good and I particularly enjoyed choosing different combinations for my breakfast fruit platter

I am an Azamara fan but one area where I have felt they could step up is with the variety of fresh fruit on board. Having left the Quest less than two weeks ago I can report there has been a big improvement.

The quality and variety of fruit is now very good and I particularly enjoyed choosing different combinations for my breakfast fruit platter

I was on Quest for May 5 cruise. The raspberries and blueberries are some sort of stewed/frozen thing and not fresh as you get on O. I put them in my muesli, but would have preferred fresh berries. Not sure what type of fresh fruit you received?

I was on Quest for May 5 cruise. The raspberries and blueberries are some sort of stewed/frozen thing and not fresh as you get on O. I put them in my muesli, but would have preferred fresh berries. Not sure what type of fresh fruit you received?

All the berries ( strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries) I had for breakfast in the MDR were fresh and delicious. I did not have breakfast in Windows so cannot confirm whether it was the same there. I certainly agree that frozen berries are not very nice.

All the berries ( strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries) I had for breakfast in the MDR were fresh and delicious. I did not have breakfast in Windows so cannot confirm whether it was the same there. I certainly agree that frozen berries are not very nice.

This is good info for others to know about. We have never eaten in the main dining room on AZ and this will be helpful to many. We like to dine al fresco as often as possible, therefore chose Windows cafe. This was also a port intensive cruise so grabbed a quick bite early and out for the day of exploration. I wonder why they do not serve the fresh berries in Windows if they have them available?

This is good info for others to know about. We have never eaten in the main dining room on AZ and this will be helpful to many. We like to dine al fresco as often as possible, therefore chose Windows cafe. This was also a port intensive cruise so grabbed a quick bite early and out for the day of exploration. I wonder why they do not serve the fresh berries in Windows if they have them available?

Last month on the Quest I had fresh berries in the Windows Cafe every time I ate breakfast there (all but once). Delicious!

Our first Azamara cruise was on the Quest in March of '16, the last voyage of that vessel before going to dry dock.

I don't believe it is fair to judge any cruise line by the first cruise before a ship goes into drydock or the first cruise following the drydock. There is almost always work beginning or carrying over on those cruises. This is a common report on every cruise line forum on Cruise Critic.

In the MDR on Quest now they have a table set up with a chef carving the most delicious fresh fruit plates to your personal preferences. You can either go and choose it yourself or ask your waiter for what you want.

There is also a brand new breakfast menu with Asian choices, but it still has the old favourites and some new ones too.

I had perfectly ripe mango, pineapple and melon every morning and yes... the berries were most definitely fresh.

Fresh berries every day in Windows on our recent Quest cruise in the Med ! Food altogether was lovely.

Have been on Oceania and my daughter's quote on watching embarkation was "why is everybody so old!". We had a good cruise on Riviera but fellow passengers not nearly as friendly as on Azamara. On Oceania everyone seemed to go to bed by 10 p.m.

Azamara is much more fun !

We did, too, on the LCV Croatia cruise. Guess you had to know where to look.

I was on this cruise, as well. I must have missed them. The stewed/frozen berries were at the muesli station. I would definitely have preferred the fresh ones. Although, I am picky about my muesli and this was very good.

DH and I have the same thing every day on a cruise. He has granola and I have the muesli. We each have just a little bit because we always watch our calories.

On debarkation from Venice, the fresh tomatoes and vegetables were excellent and must have just been picked up in port for the Italian buffet.

One of my favorite meals was the Indian buffet. If not for reading about it on CC, I would have missed it. It lived up to its reputation.

Fresh berries every day in Windows on our recent Quest cruise in the Med ! Food altogether was lovely.

Have been on Oceania and my daughter's quote on watching embarkation was "why is everybody so old!". We had a good cruise on Riviera but fellow passengers not nearly as friendly as on Azamara. On Oceania everyone seemed to go to bed by 10 p.m.

Azamara is much more fun !

I am not old and still go to bed by 10pm on all of our cruises :). I also get up very early, go to the gym, and spend our days touring. It does not matter what cruise ship I am on, I keep the same daily habits I do at home.

I do think the age on O depends on the itinerary and length of cruise. I personally did not see many Spring chickens on the AZ Quest cruise in May.

Early bird get's the worm :)

I was on this cruise, as well. I must have missed them. The stewed/frozen berries were at the muesli station. I would definitely have preferred the fresh ones. Although, I am picky about my muesli and this was very good.

Yes, the muesli station had prunes, kadota figs, canned/stewed fruits, etc. To the right of it was a station with bowls of fresh-made yogurt, cottage cheese, small cups with yogurt topped with fresh fruit and granola, and metal cups shaped like old-fashioned champagne saucers filled with fresh berries.

I recall one woman who would take several berry dishes and dump the berries on her breakfast plate to avoid carrying multiple berry dishes to her table. The lesson is it's better to ask for something important to you rather than complain on a blog after the fact.

Yes, the muesli station had prunes, kadota figs, canned/stewed fruits, etc. To the right of it was a station with bowls of fresh-made yogurt, cottage cheese, small cups with yogurt topped with fresh fruit and granola, and metal cups shaped like old-fashioned champagne saucers filled with fresh berries.

I recall one woman who would take several berry dishes and dump the berries on her breakfast plate to avoid carrying multiple berry dishes to her table. The lesson is it's better to ask for something important to you rather than complain on a blog after the fact.

Actually, I did see what you are discussing because I gave my DH one of the tiny yogurt/granola to try. The tiny silver bowls had strawberries in them to the best of recollection. If blueberries and raspberries were in them, I would have definitely taken to put with my muesli.

No need to get snippy about me asking where the fresh berries were. I never saw them, therefore asked Spursgirl the question.

I thought most of my comments comparing AZ to O were very balanced. I do prefer O over AZ and have had 3 cruises on each. Due to that fact alone, I think my comments do have merit.

Hope you have a nice and sunny day. :)))

No need to get snippy about me asking where the fresh berries were.

I don't know what your "snippy" reference applies to. If it's my "lesson," that's a lesson for everyone, not just you.

I see this happen all the time here, where someone complains that they couldn't get something. Another Oceania partisan complained that Discoveries was never open for breakfast. It is, every day, except perhaps on Jazz Brunch days when the brunch starts at 10. Ask someone on board.

Another complaint was about not getting eggs Benedict at the Windows buffet. Well, you can, if you just ask. I just don't understand why people don't ask when they feel getting a certain item is important to them.

There were blueberries and raspberries in Windows on many days of our 29 days on board.

I don't know what your "snippy" reference applies to. If it's my "lesson," that's a lesson for everyone, not just you.

I see this happen all the time here, where someone complains that they couldn't get something. Another Oceania partisan complained that Discoveries was never open for breakfast. It is, every day, except perhaps on Jazz Brunch days when the brunch starts at 10. Ask someone on board.

Another complaint was about not getting eggs Benedict at the Windows buffet. Well, you can, if you just ask. I just don't understand why people don't ask when they feel getting a certain item is important to them.

There were blueberries and raspberries in Windows on many days of our 29 days on board.

Thanks...my balanced review and comparison stands as is. I cruise many different lines and have only had one cruise that was not up to my standards.

Anyway, I do trust Spursgirl and Lottie A when it comes to their reporting and happy she told me about the fresh fruit and berries. Seriously, berries are not the highlight of any of my cruises. :-)

I did not even know this was an LCV cruise when we booked it. I could not tell you today who the President on board was because although offered many nice opportunities to attend the events he was hosting, we chose not to attend and maintain our privacy.

Sorry, I missed meeting you on board. It would have been nice to put a face with Marinaro. I was the petite woman with long blonde hair and DH has brown hair and most often gets asked if he is a movie star or a rock star on every cruise we are on. No, he is not a rock star but an ex CEO and great skier. Enjoy your day!

This thread is hilarious!

Sadly I didnt see anyone on our cruse who could remotely be mistaken for a movie or rock star.

Although thinking about it DH does have bear a slight resemblance to Meatloaf occasionally.

My handsome rock star with the flat belly is why I need to go to bed by 10 pm every evening. He exhausts me ;-))

It is fun to find humor on these posts because a good laugh is healthy. Hope to meet you and Meatloaf on AZ or O one day.

Funny, we were on that cruise and, although it was a little annoying to see the internet techs in the hall with their cables every day of the cruise, I thought that the staff and crew did a great job trying to keep the noise and clutter to a minimum until we left Hong Kong (where we picked up extra crew and construction equipment). Then it got a little more annoying as they loosened all of the upper deck light stanchions (which were gone by the time we awoke in Singapore), thought about evicting people from the thalassotherapy deck (they reconsidered when we all channeled the Vietnam era and said He!! no, we won't go, lol) and removed all of the hallway decorations, plants, paintings and the like. But as you said, they did compensate us handsomely for that inconvenience. We still have three deeply discounted cruises to take, having taken full advantage of the 20/25% off they offered as part of the deal.

DH had to go to medical with Noro and that seemed to be the disease du jour when I dropped him off. :eek:

We had cruised Azamara twice before that, and thought that the food was a cut way above what it had been in 2008 and 2009, including the fruits & veggies. But I can't compare to Oceania, having only toured Regatta many years ago and never sailed them. Now, we only had dinner in the MDR once or twice, preferring the buffet or specialty restaurants, so maybe that's why the difference take on things.

The only things that really got to me were the CD and Captain's non-emergency announcements being piped into the spa treatment rooms (that's where we used our massive OBC) and a senior officer pompously telling me that experienced cruisers know better than to book a cruise immediately before drydock. We had booked the cruise and air when the drydock was scheduled for September of 2015 and subsequently rescheduled. He knows that now.:evilsmile::D Two minor hiccups in what I thought was a brilliant cruise.

I think you will find your upcoming cruise to be vastly better.:)

I don't think noting something that she didn't find onboard is necessarily complaining, especially when someone is asking for opinions. Personally, if I didn't see something, whether it be fresh berries or eggs benedict, it wouldn't occur to me to ask because I'd assume it wasn't available. I don't like to make waves ;)