Dress code

Pinktrixie

I have 2 suitcases full of party dresses for my kids been saving them up for months can't wait to get them on them they don't get a chance to wear them these days as most parities are soft play so I for knw am really looking forward to dressing myself and my kids up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Personally, and without wanting to sound mean, I hope they wouldn't turn a blind eye. If parents aren't comfortable with their children putting on a shirt there is always the buffet. One of the reasons for eating there of an evening is to avoid the dress code. Or of course there are plenty of cruise lines or other type of holiday that doesn't have dress codes.

I'd hate to go to all the expense and hassle of dressing up in a tuxedo only to be sat on a table with kids in football shirts (or similar - I'm not just having a pop at football shirts, or kids. I wouldn't want to be sat at a table with anyone of any age who hadn't made some effort to keep to the dress code).

It's no hardship to ask kids to put on a shirt. There are other situations where kids are expected to wear a shirt, school for one, other events (weddings etc). I don't expect them to be all stuffy and uncomfortable - just the parents to go some way towards respecting other diners.

If I go to a harvester or a wetherspoons and there are kids OR adults in football shirts or whatever then fair enough but if I splash out on a nice restaurant, put on my finery and pay for a four course, fully waited dinner I wouldn't want to see that. Seeing everyone looking smart (or at least making the effort) it part of what makes it special. Plenty of parents manage to get their kids to look tidy at restaurants it's clearly not that big of an issue. Personally I think it's an important life lesson for them.

I hope any kids have a wonderful cruise, are well behaved and a credit to their parents etc. I hope all kids on board run around happily having a great time in football shirts being well mannered all day to their hearts content, I really do. But when it comes to eating in the restaurant, going to the theatre etc at night, I do hope everyone of whatever age sticks to the dress code. Otherwise why bother myself? As I said in an earlier post I really would prefer not to but I will because it's made very clear by p&o it's expected.

Thats why we always get a table for 2.

Personally, and without wanting to sound mean, I hope they wouldn't turn a blind eye. If parents aren't comfortable with their children putting on a shirt there is always the buffet. One of the reasons for eating there of an evening is to avoid the dress code. Or of course there are plenty of cruise lines or other type of holiday that doesn't have dress codes.

I'd hate to go to all the expense and hassle of dressing up in a tuxedo only to be sat on a table with kids in football shirts (or similar - I'm not just having a pop at football shirts, or kids. I wouldn't want to be sat at a table with anyone of any age who hadn't made some effort to keep to the dress code).

It's no hardship to ask kids to put on a shirt. There are other situations where kids are expected to wear a shirt, school for one, other events (weddings etc). I don't expect them to be all stuffy and uncomfortable - just the parents to go some way towards respecting other diners.

If I go to a harvester or a wetherspoons and there are kids OR adults in football shirts or whatever then fair enough but if I splash out on a nice restaurant, put on my finery and pay for a four course, fully waited dinner I wouldn't want to see that. Seeing everyone looking smart (or at least making the effort) it part of what makes it special. Plenty of parents manage to get their kids to look tidy at restaurants it's clearly not that big of an issue. Personally I think it's an important life lesson for them.

I hope the OPs and her kids have a wonderful cruise and as she said they are well behaved and a credit to her etc. I hope they and all kids on board run around happily having a great time in football shirts being well mannered all day to their hearts content, I really do. But when it comes to eating in the restaurant at night, I do hope everyone of whatever age sticks to the dress code. Otherwise why bother myself? As I said in an earlier post I really would prefer not to but I will because it's made very clear by p&o it's expected.

I, and my husband, agree with you.

As I have said in an earlier post (can't remember whether it was on this thread or another) there are rules and regulations on every cruise line. One of them happens to be dress codes. You are, therefore, required to abide by them.

How about the smokers amongst us (and there are some!) choosing to ignore the one about not smoking on their balconies - there would, and rightly so, be uproar.

There are, as the above poster has mentioned, plenty of other cruise lines that do NOT require any formal wear, on any night, of any kind, and, therefore, if it is such a huge imposition to put on formal wear for the odd night in a cruise why not choose one of those lines to travel on.

I have 2 suitcases full of party dresses for my kids been saving them up for months can't wait to get them on them they don't get a chance to wear them these days as most parities are soft play so I for knw am really looking forward to dressing myself and my kids up.

You sound like a perfect parent.

This sounds wonderful!

I know that as a little girl/young lady I would have given my eye teeth to dress up in a pretty dress, and I would have loved seeing all the ladies looking gorgeous in their long dresses. I would also have thought that all the gentlemen looked like James Bond!! :D

I hope you have a wonderful time. :)

I, and my husband, agree with you John.

Why some passengers think it is 'fashion police' (whatever they are!) I'm not sure.

All cruise lines have rules and regulations that you are supposed to abide by.

If these rules include dress codes then, unfortunately(!) you are supposed to abide by them.

There are a large number of cruise lines that have very relaxed dress codes nowadays, as opposed to years ago, and if people don't like 'dressing up', which some don't, then why don't they go on those.

We're not really into 'poncing up' but wear as to the rules - we cruise on ships that offer the itinerary we want, not by which cruiselines allows us to wear certain items of clothing. The ports are more important to us, than if jeans of any colour are allowed.

Still not sure why certain people feel offended or concerned about what others wear or don't wear - we all paid for our cruises and want to be comfy, whether your comfort is casual/relaxed or the more refined/formal wear. Who cares, whatever floats your boat!

Still not sure why certain people feel offended or concerned about what others wear or don't wear - we all paid for our cruises and want to be comfy, whether your comfort is casual/relaxed or the more refined/formal wear. Who cares, whatever floats your boat!

Speaking only for myself I think it's about respect. Respect for other diners.

I hate wearing suits if I'm honest, but if I'm invited to a wedding I wear one out of respect to the bride, groom but also other guests.

I'm not religious in the slightest but on the rare occasion I go to church I wouldn't turn up in my board shorts and a vest/sleeveless t shirt. It's not that I think god would be offended as I don't believe in one, I just want to show respect the other church goers.

I work from home and mostly wear jogging trousers but when I go to a meeting I put on a pair of trousers and a shirt out of respect for my clients.

(And because it's expected. Same as on some cruise lines and some restaurants. It's expected).

Same on a cruise. Part of me would like to rock up in my swimming trunks and a baggy tshirt - and there are some cruise lines where I could. But on p&o I don't because (like you) I respect the dress code and others who've adhered to it. And then there are some occasions when being in a nice restaurant, with nice food, surrounded by nice looking people in nice clothes etc makes me feel pleasant. Like the weddings. I don't like wearing a suit but I enjoy the ambience of a well dressed crowd enjoying good times with good food and company etc.

Other times I don't mind either way. Depends on circumstance.

And then part of it is my inner child stamping m foot going "it's not fair, if I have to dress up why doesn't he!" [emoji38]

Edited by claudiniusmaximus

I hope any kids have a wonderful cruise, are well behaved and a credit to their parents etc. I hope all kids on board run around happily having a great time in football shirts being well mannered all day to their hearts content, I really do. But when it comes to eating in the restaurant, going to the theatre etc at night, I do hope everyone of whatever age sticks to the dress code. Otherwise why bother myself? As I said in an earlier post I really would prefer not to but I will because it's made very clear by p&o it's expected.

Actually I totally agree but I tried to respond without causing offence and I absolutely agree that its an important life lesson as well. In my previous post you would see how complimentary I was to those who dressed for the occasion. I do and in fact take two dinner suits with me mainly because we dance every night. The fact is that there are a very small number of people who push their luck or just can't be bothered and as far as I'm concerned a cruise is the wrong choice for them.

Actually I totally agree but I tried to respond without causing offence and I absolutely agree that its an important life lesson as well. In my previous post you would see how complimentary I was to those who dressed for the occasion. I do and in fact take two dinner suits with me mainly because we dance every night. The fact is that there are a very small number of people who push their luck or just can't be bothered and as far as I'm concerned a cruise is the wrong choice for them.

[emoji106][emoji6]

I, and my husband, agree with you.

......if it is such a huge imposition to put on formal wear for the odd night in a cruise why not choose one of those lines to travel on.

Or just remember to stay out of the formal venues aboard if you are wearing evening casual ;)

Agree 100% (y)

Speaking only for myself I think it's about respect. Respect for other diners.

And what about respecting those who do not wish to dress in formal attire? Having read your posts it comes across as though you don't respect their wishes to not wear formal attire. Edited by peteukmcr

It IS all about respect - respect for the dress code that is well-publicised and clear in its intent, and respect for the majority who follow it. Clearly, some have the "I've paid for my holiday, I'll do what I like" attitude, while others respect the code even if it's not their personal favourite form of dress. As I've already said, I now prefer to cruise on ships where a larger majority of passengers understand this.

Agree 100% (y)

And what about respecting those who do not wish to dress in formal attire? Having read your posts it comes across as though you don't respect their wishes to not wear formal attire.

There are 2 formal nights and 5 casual nights in a week so it seems reasonable each side has an opportunity to dress how they want.

I do get the impression that some posters would rather the whole ship had a formal dress code on black tie evenings but that is not the way it is on P&O ships.. Yes, people should respect and adhere to the dress code but that respect should also extend to those who wear evening casual on black tie evenings if they avoid the formal venues. There may be occasions when they can't avoid the formal venue, for example the main bar on Oceana which is a high transit area so on formal nights expect to see lots of people trooping through dressed in evening casual.

Actually Dave I'd honestly rather they didn't have black tie at all but I respect the dress code and follow it.

My reading of people's posts have been about people who choose to dress informally using the venues that allow that. I mean, the dress code does allow for that. I honestly don't think anyone is saying "don't come on the ship if you aren't in a tux" just respect the dress code.

And Pete I do respect those who choose not to dress formally - that is catered for within the dress code with venues on board specifically for them as I stated within my posts.

Or just remember to stay out of the formal venues aboard if you are wearing evening casual ;)
Now you see this is where I have the biggest problem with P&O.

Being banned from all venues except the buffet and pub on formal nights is wrong IMHO. This means for those people who have paid to use all the venues on the ship (that are included in the cruise fare) but who do not wish to dress in formal attire, they are effectively being short changed on these nights. That is not acceptable to me.

It IS all about respect - respect for the dress code that is well-publicised and clear in its intent, and respect for the majority who follow it. Clearly, some have the "I've paid for my holiday, I'll do what I like" attitude, while others respect the code even if it's not their personal favourite form of dress. As I've already said, I now prefer to cruise on ships where a larger majority of passengers understand this.
But from your statements you clearly do not respect those who would rather not dress in formal attire. Dressing in formal attire is not respecting the dress code, it's adhering to it. One of the definitions of respect is to have due regard for (someone's feelings, wishes, or rights).

Pete, are you saying you think anyone should be allowed into any venue regardless of whether they follow the dress code or not, because they've paid to get on board?

There are ships that operate that way. I'm not against it. But what's the point of p&o having a dress code if that's the point?

There are some ships that have a required dress code. Some that have an optional dress code. Some that don't have a dress code at all.

Surely it's down to the customer to choose their product based on their preferences? And follow the rules of the ship they are on?

It's a bit like joining a golf club. One club might not have a dress code another might. If you don't want to follow a dress code choose the club that doesn't have one. Don't choose the one that has, then wear what you like and then say "I've paid to be a member I'll do what the hell I like".

Ps to carry on the analogy the difference between adherence and respect. You *adhere*to the dress code and *respect* the fellow members of the golf club.

There are 2 formal nights and 5 casual nights in a week so it seems reasonable each side has an opportunity to dress how they want.
Not true, because on those 2 nights people are severely restricted to the venues that they can enjoy if they prefer not to dress formally.

I do get the impression that some posters would rather the whole ship had a formal dress code on black tie evenings but that is not the way it is on P&O ships.. Yes, people should respect and adhere to the dress code but that respect should also extend to those who wear evening casual on black tie evenings if they avoid the formal venues. There may be occasions when they can't avoid the formal venue, for example the main bar on Oceana which is a high transit area so on formal nights expect to see lots of people trooping through dressed in evening casual.
(y)

Not true, because on those 2 nights people are severely restricted to the venues that they can enjoy if they prefer not to dress formally.

Then surely they have to make grown up choices? Either I wear want I want and am restricted in my venues, as I know is the case when making my booking, or I suck it up and put on my big boy pants and accept that I have to follow the rules like the other couple of thousand people on board.

But from your statements you clearly do not respect those who would rather not dress in formal attire. Dressing in formal attire is not respecting the dress code, it's adhering to it. One of the definitions of respect is to have due regard for (someone's feelings, wishes, or rights).

Not at all. If people respect the dress code, be it for formal or informal nights, that's fine. The problem comes when people don't respect the code and wish to wear what suits them when it's clearly not consistent with what the code says.