Dress code

Pinktrixie

The limit is 18 as this quote from the web site. Trousers and a shirt are fine.

The Dress Code is applied in most restaurants and bars for guests over 18 years of age, from 6pm. Please wear the appropriate attire to the ship’s bars and restaurants; blue or worn denim, sandals, sleeveless tops (for men) and shorts are not permitted in ship's public areas during the evening.

I think P&O have changed this within the last 2 years Dai. Like John Watson, I think the dress code used to apply from about the age of 13, because on our first two P&O cruises (2012/2013) our son was below this age and so could wear evening casual, although in fact on formal nights he wore a pair of his dark school trousers, a school shirt and a tie, so a halfway house between casual and formal, at no great expense.

By the time of our 2015 cruise he was over 13 and so we bought him a suit and a dinner suit. As he was going to need a suit for his school prom and his uncle's wedding last year, they have been put to good use, and will be appearing again on Aurora in August.

Incidentally, our Holiday Information Booklet for this year states, under children's code: "On Formal Black Tie evenings children should wear evening casual dress, at least, and dark denim is not permitted."

So that's even more confusing, they can wear evening casual but not dark denim! :confused:

I'm just back from Britannia and definitely saw jeans of all shades and not just dark jeans as described in the P&O dress code. However we saw someone being refused entry to the Limelight because he was wearing a t-shirt and he had to go back to his cabin to change. However we saw the same person wandering round the ship after 6:00 in shorts most nights, though not in the MDR.

I generally think that if you are the sort of person who worries about compliance your not the sort of person that will have an issue. Jeans look great with brown leather shoes, a shirt etc and are allowed as smart casual.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I generally think that if you are the sort of person who worries about compliance your not the sort of person that will have an issue. Jeans look great with brown leather shoes, a shirt etc and are allowed as smart casual.

Exactly [emoji3] happy cruising

I got turned away from the main dining room on Arcadia because I wasn't wearing a jacket back when they had three different dress codes (formal, smart casual and casual I think they were called) it was way back in 2009. It was smart casual night and a jacket was required. But a chap on the next table was wearing a cardigan and so weirdly that counted as a jacket.

On Arcadia again in 2014 we did see someone in the piano bar on formal night in shorts, a sleeveless tshirt/vest thing and flip flops sat amongst us all in tuxedoes. It really does vary massively in term of what staff allow and what they don't.

We liked Celebrity for its "evening chic" dress code we could wear chinos and a nice linen shirt or smart short sleeve shirt and fit right in. Everyone was dressed up as if they were going to a nice restaurant so they still all looked smart. Was a godsend being in 38 degrees on an Italy and Greek island cruise.

I'm glad that they've relaxed their dress code on p&o so that on the more casual nights we can dress as we did on celebrity.

That said we will wear our tuxedoes on formal night, though I am not looking forward to it simply because I prefer to be comfortable and particularly because I'm worrying about the heat in August. I'd like to see them do away with that requirement but have chosen this cruise because of the itinerary and the price plus it sails from southampton.

I do find it odd that the really upmarket 5 and 6 star cruise lines allow smart casual but a more mid range cruise like p&o require tuxedoes (Cunard being the exception i suppose) but hey ho thems the rules so we will comply.

Edited by claudiniusmaximus

I think different people's view points on smart casual. My hubby wears dark blue jeans with a shirt and it looks really smart he was hoping to wear that to dinner on the non formal nights. He has a dinner suit and suit trousers and shirts and ties for other nights. I think it may also be linked t age he wouldn't ever own or want to wear chinos he sees that as an older style it's just not his style doesn't make him scruffy he is very smart and looks great so will see if he can pass the test for dinner if not he has his dinner suit and suits to change into lol

I agree. I wear jeans, a crisply ironed long sleeved shirt and always a pair of Jeffery West shoes for most smart casual nights.

Chino's and short sleeved polo shirts are fine for when I play golf, but never for smart evenings out.

I think different people's view points on smart casual. My hubby wears dark blue jeans with a shirt and it looks really smart he was hoping to wear that to dinner on the non formal nights. He has a dinner suit and suit trousers and shirts and ties for other nights. I think it may also be linked t age he wouldn't ever own or want to wear chinos he sees that as an older style it's just not his style doesn't make him scruffy he is very smart and looks great so will see if he can pass the test for dinner if not he has his dinner suit and suits to change into lol

Your husband clearly is a man who wants to look good and without being patronising I'm sure he wants to make an effort for you as well. When I read men moaning about Formal Nights and smart casual I often wonder if there wives are the same or whether they get dressed up and their husbands just don't bother.

Most people do make an effort. Apart from evening dresses and dinner suits I have seen ladies in saris (absolutely stunning) and plenty of men in full highland dress (I never take mine simply because of the weight).

Some of the young children I have seen on cruises look fantastic on Formal Nights. In my opinion they are a real credit to their parents. They don't all go about in football tops.

Incidentally I have no problem at all with chinos, they are far better than some of the cheap, ill-fitting baggy jeans that some wear.

We recently went on our first and probably last Cunard cruise. Discovered after booking...4 nighter to Hamburg, and no formal night at all.

Went into the MDR for the first night..food was about the same, certainly no better than Pando. After that for various reasons we ate in the buffet.

More expensive than Pando..and from we could see not much in it as regards it supposedly being more upmarket.

As we ate in the buffet did not look at what others were wearing.

Really missed the tea/coffee making in the room..was not going to call room service (free or not) for 1 cup of coffee.

Everyone has their own opinion, but those interested in a comparison between P&O and Cunard might like to see the thread on that topic currently live, where people with more experience than 4 nights and 1 MDR dinner have contributed.

I appreciate the topic is related to Britannia, but I applaud the enforcing of the code this week whilst aboard Oceana in the evening time around various lounges.

Whilst the gents concerned were not loutish in their appearance, they were in breach of the code and after being discretely reminded of the policy they accepted the situation and left without comment.

I appreciate the topic is related to Britannia, but I applaud the enforcing of the code this week whilst aboard Oceana in the evening time around various lounges.

Whilst the gents concerned were not loutish in their appearance, they were in breach of the code and after being discretely reminded of the policy they accepted the situation and left without comment.

We were on the Ventura new year cruise and it was lovely to see almost everyone dressed smartly for formal night.

I've started to change my opinion to those who wear dark suits on formal nights, at least they have tried. OK, a DJ would be better, but it's a start.

I still don't like to see those who don't bother at all.

I always think that DJ or tuxedo might be a bit of an expense to anyone who has never previously needed one but is now on a first time cruise particularly if they are not sure that they will like the experience and possibly never book another. If people are in this position and decide to bring a suit, to me this shows respect. I am happy with this attitude faced with the predicament too.

Regards John

I always think that DJ or tuxedo might be a bit of an expense to anyone who has never previously needed one but is now on a first time cruise particularly if they are not sure that they will like the experience and possibly never book another. If people are in this position and decide to bring a suit, to me this shows respect. I am happy with this attitude faced with the predicament too.

Regards John

I bring a lightweight suit when we cruise as it is smart but not heavy for the case weight allowance on the flight and it is not too warm like my thicker suits.

On some cruises I take a dinner jacket, on some a dark suit and on some smart casual. My next cruise on Azura will be smart casual and on my following Oceana one I will take my suit. The Oceana one next year I will be going smart casual. On my world segment I took a dinner jacket. There is plenty of room on the ships to exercise my choice without breaking any of the dress code rules.

On some cruises I take a dinner jacket, on some a dark suit and on some smart casual. My next cruise on Azura will be smart casual and on my following Oceana one I will take my suit. The Oceana one next year I will be going smart casual. On my world segment I took a dinner jacket. There is plenty of room on the ships to exercise my choice without breaking any of the dress code rules.

You sound like you make the effort to look smart, good on you.

Your husband clearly is a man who wants to look good and without being patronising I'm sure he wants to make an effort for you as well. When I read men moaning about Formal Nights and smart casual I often wonder if there wives are the same or whether they get dressed up and their husbands just don't bother.

Most people do make an effort. Apart from evening dresses and dinner suits I have seen ladies in saris (absolutely stunning) and plenty of men in full highland dress (I never take mine simply because of the weight).

Some of the young children I have seen on cruises look fantastic on Formal Nights. In my opinion they are a real credit to their parents. They don't all go about in football tops.

Incidentally I have no problem at all with chinos, they are far better than some of the cheap, ill-fitting baggy jeans that some wear.

I'm sure that no matter whether a child wear a "football shirt" or a suit, as long as they are well behaved and well mannered they would be a credit themselves and their parents. After all, a child is a child and should be allowed to be such. As long as they are comfortable and happy I'm sure no one will care. After all we no longer live in the days of bloomers and petty coats and it seems that the cruise company's are realising that and moving the dress code along with the times. Jeans are no longer associated with the days of wearing a hard wearing material that will last in the fields. They are and can be an expensive addition to any wardrobe. They look smart, feel good and are extremely versatile. Cruises are opening up to a younger generation thankfully, moving with the times. A cruise is not a holiday I even considered in the past due to their out of touch ways. But as they recognise their market is (naturally) decreasing they are aiming to the younger end. I personally am excited for my cruise on Sunday, and dressing my boys in their "football shirts", after all I know their manners and behaviour to be impeccable. They make me proud every minute of every day...no matter what they wear

I'm just back from Britannia and definitely saw jeans of all shades and not just dark jeans as described in the P&O dress code. However we saw someone being refused entry to the Limelight because he was wearing a t-shirt and he had to go back to his cabin to change. However we saw the same person wandering round the ship after 6:00 in shorts most nights, though not in the MDR.

Probably an Orstralian, the colonials ran riot on QM2 this year. Shorts galore.:eek:

I bring a lightweight suit when we cruise as it is smart but not heavy for the case weight allowance on the flight and it is not too warm like my thicker suits.

Same here, limited baggage allowance on the flying machines, Sydney - LHR for a P& O UK adventure.

:(

I'm sure that no matter whether a child wear a "football shirt" or a suit, as long as they are well behaved and well mannered they would be a credit themselves and their parents. After all, a child is a child and should be allowed to be such. As long as they are comfortable and happy I'm sure no one will care. After all we no longer live in the days of bloomers and petty coats and it seems that the cruise company's are realising that and moving the dress code along with the times. Jeans are no longer associated with the days of wearing a hard wearing material that will last in the fields. They are and can be an expensive addition to any wardrobe. They look smart, feel good and are extremely versatile. Cruises are opening up to a younger generation thankfully, moving with the times. A cruise is not a holiday I even considered in the past due to their out of touch ways. But as they recognise their market is (naturally) decreasing they are aiming to the younger end. I personally am excited for my cruise on Sunday, and dressing my boys in their "football shirts", after all I know their manners and behaviour to be impeccable. They make me proud every minute of every day...no matter what they wear

The dress code says that evening casual is required for children on all nights including Formal Nights if you intend to use the Formal Dining Rooms or Theatre. Evening Casual says no football shirts. I would expect that P&O will turn a blind eye to children wearing them rather than upset them.

Regards John

The price of DJ's can now be lower than a suit, but I agree that it's better to wait until you are certain you love cruising before you buy one. They are also quite lightweight, or at least mine is, and it seems very crease resistant as well, which means it packs well, so I have no concerns about that or my case being over weight.

The advantage of a dark suit, mine is navy blue, is that it is much more flexible, I can wear the trousers without the jacket. You can wear it on other social occasions etc. It allows for more individuality in how you dress, I use either a baby blue or baby pink shirt and a bright santa tie at xmas. The downside is it needs dry cleaning which is why I took my DJ on the 30 nighter cruise. It is an excellent M&S washable version and I could rinse the trousers after a few wearings.

What do P&O think? a couple of years ago in their magazine they had a fashion guru dress up a couple for formal evenings. He had a Navy blue suit but I though spending £100 for the shirt was a trifle expensive.

The price of DJ's can now be lower than a suit, but I agree that it's better to wait until you are certain you love cruising before you buy one. They are also quite lightweight, or at least mine is, and it seems very crease resistant as well, which means it packs well, so I have no concerns about that or my case being over weight.

Yes, I am committed to cruising and have a few hobby collections one of which is tuxedos, I have got 14 now and they all fit. Wearing a suit is respectful of the occasion of a formal evening. This is appropriate etiquette, does anyone remember Alan Partridge's terrible attitude and inappropriate jacket on his show form the 80's? This would not go down well on a cruise

It is worth suffering the advert to see btw.

Regards John

The dress code says that evening casual is required for children on all nights including Formal Nights if you intend to use the Formal Dining Rooms or Theatre. Evening Casual says no football shirts. I would expect that P&O will turn a blind eye to children wearing them rather than upset them.

Personally, and without wanting to sound mean, I hope they wouldn't turn a blind eye. If parents aren't comfortable with their children putting on a shirt there is always the buffet. One of the reasons for eating there of an evening is to avoid the dress code. Or of course there are plenty of cruise lines or other type of holiday that doesn't have dress codes.

I'd hate to go to all the expense and hassle of dressing up in a tuxedo only to be sat on a table with kids in football shirts (or similar - I'm not just having a pop at football shirts, or kids. I wouldn't want to be sat at a table with anyone of any age who hadn't made some effort to keep to the dress code).

It's no hardship to ask kids to put on a shirt. There are other situations where kids are expected to wear a shirt, school for one, other events (weddings etc). I don't expect them to be all stuffy and uncomfortable - just the parents to go some way towards respecting other diners.

If I go to a harvester or a wetherspoons and there are kids OR adults in football shirts or whatever then fair enough but if I splash out on a nice restaurant, put on my finery and pay for a four course, fully waited dinner I wouldn't want to see that. Seeing everyone looking smart (or at least making the effort) it part of what makes it special. Plenty of parents manage to get their kids to look tidy at restaurants it's clearly not that big of an issue. Personally I think it's an important life lesson for them.

I hope any kids have a wonderful cruise, are well behaved and a credit to their parents etc. I hope all kids on board run around happily having a great time in football shirts being well mannered all day to their hearts content, I really do. But when it comes to eating in the restaurant, going to the theatre etc at night, I do hope everyone of whatever age sticks to the dress code. Otherwise why bother myself? As I said in an earlier post I really would prefer not to but I will because it's made very clear by p&o it's expected.

Edited by claudiniusmaximus