Dress code

Pinktrixie

We have sailed with family on Brittania and Azura three times. On formal nights son wore his wedding suit (pale grey) and daughters partner wore dark jacket/tie but not a suit. On ALL other nights they both wore jeans, son's being very pale denim and the other medium blue and at no time were they stopped from entering the MDR. Our daughter also wore pale jeans with fancy top some nights. Our grandson didn't comply with any dress code.

No one bothers unless it's formal night.

The limit is 18 as this quote from the web site. Trousers and a shirt are fine.

The Dress Code is applied in most restaurants and bars for guests over 18 years of age, from 6pm. Please wear the appropriate attire to the ship’s bars and restaurants; blue or worn denim, sandals, sleeveless tops (for men) and shorts are not permitted in ship's public areas during the evening.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But the Buffet is 'public area' and shorts/T shirts are allowed there of an evening, even on formal nights, as they were on QM2 recently.:halo:

But the Buffet is 'public area' and shorts/T shirts are allowed there of an evening, even on formal nights, as they were on QM2 recently.:halo:

So are the decks!

P&O's web site has several statements of 'fact' which contradict each other or do not match the reality aboard the ships.

For example the Glasshouse on Azura and Ventura is described as ...The Glass House will be a relaxed, informal haven of good food and fine wine.... Yet the web site states it requires formal dress on Black tie evenings. On Ventura recently it remained evening casual and according to staff always has been. :confused:

It will be interesting to see the reality on Azura next month.

So are the decks!

P&O's web site has several statements of 'fact' which contradict each other or do not match the reality aboard the ships.

For example the Glasshouse on Azura and Ventura is described as ...The Glass House will be a relaxed, informal haven of good food and fine wine.... Yet the web site states it requires formal dress on Black tie evenings. On Ventura recently it remained evening casual and according to staff always has been. :confused:

It will be interesting to see the reality on Azura next month.

I always follow the dress code, by choice and not because I feel forced to, so I can go anywhere I want on any night of the cruise, simples.

I always follow the dress code, by choice and not because I feel forced to, so I can go anywhere I want on any night of the cruise, simples.

We are the same we always dress smartly wherever we go.

If people don't want to dress smart thats none of our business but certainly interesting what people's clothes sense is.

The intention of the dress code is pretty clear; some people choose to ignore it because that suits them; P&O make little or no attempt to enforce it. Result: a more scruffy/informal [choose your own adjective] ambience and part of the inexorable, and I think deliberate, move of P&O down market. I no longer book with them unless there is an overwhelming reason to do so.

I always follow the dress code too. My post about the Glass House was pointing out the contradictory nature of the P&O site, not expressing my preference for a particular code, be it formal or casual.

The intention of the dress code is pretty clear; some people choose to ignore it because that suits them; P&O make little or no attempt to enforce it. Result: a more scruffy/informal [choose your own adjective] ambience and part of the inexorable, and I think deliberate, move of P&O down market. I no longer book with them unless there is an overwhelming reason to do so.

So you can't cruise a lot then.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well from what I have heard are they not going the same way.

Actually, I fear so. On my last transatlantic, there was a guest in the theatre in the evening wearing no jacket, a T shirt and a "Vote Trump" baseball cap.

Why not Dai.

We personally have had 93 nights on P&O,182 nights on RCI,21 nights on NCL, 28 nights on Princess, and 35 nights on Sun cruises so there is a world out there.

Don't take the comment out of context.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Dress sense has certainly changed over the years. One evening on a recent cruise when the required dress was casual I noticed one gentleman guest in the main dining room wearing camouflage trousers, thongs (flip flops) and a blue vest. Personally I wouldn't call that casual I would call that beach wear. He wasn't turned away.

Perhaps it's time that casual should be more clearly defined as "Smart Casual"?

On the other hand the chap was pleasant and most polite and certainly wasn't as rude as the immaculately dressed couple who strode into the main dining room 30 minutes after the doors were closed on a formal night and sat down to eat, obvious to the annoyance of many of the waiting staff who were far too polite to make comment and merely grinned and bore it.

Dress sense has certainly changed over the years. One evening on a recent cruise when the required dress was casual I noticed one gentleman guest in the main dining room wearing camouflage trousers, thongs (flip flops) and a blue vest. Personally I wouldn't call that casual I would call that beach wear. He wasn't turned away.

Perhaps it's time that casual should be more clearly defined as "Smart Casual"?

On the other hand the chap was pleasant and most polite and certainly wasn't as rude as the immaculately dressed couple who strode into the main dining room 30 minutes after the doors were closed on a formal night and sat down to eat, obvious to the annoyance of many of the waiting staff who were far too polite to make comment and merely grinned and bore it.

You can't judge a book by its cover comes to mind.

The way some people dress is baffling but if they are pleasant they can often get away with it.

Sorry but the way you phrased the question indicated that if they didn't cruise P&O they must've not cruised much.

I was talking about the standards, if P&O are not formal enough then there is not much left to cruise on. Which is why I said don't take it out of context.

Especially for two boys who will not wear half the stuff we have bought them ever again. Mine are normal little boys who love nothing more than a comfy football kit! .

If I were you I wouldn't take the labels off and keep receipts. You will find what the website says and reality on board is vastly different. Your boys will be having so much fun in the children's club in their football kit they will barely have time to eat never mind follow a dress code. They do tea for children between 5pm-6pm in the buffet (a casual affair) which is usually busy after that it's back to the club with their new friends.

Don't worry about dress code you will find a very mixed bunch on board.

I was talking about the standards, if P&O are not formal enough then there is not much left to cruise on. Which is why I said don't take it out of context.

Your spot on there.The dress adherence on P&O is far better than all the American ships in my experience.

If I were you I wouldn't take the labels off and keep receipts. You will find what the website says and reality on board is vastly different. Your boys will be having so much fun in the children's club in their football kit they will barely have time to eat never mind follow a dress code. They do tea for children between 5pm-6pm in the buffet (a casual affair) which is usually busy after that it's back to the club with their new friends.

Don't worry about dress code you will find a very mixed bunch on board.

Thank you, that's reassuring. Just hope I have kept all the receipts and haven't wasted a lot of money!

I think different people's view points on smart casual. My hubby wears dark blue jeans with a shirt and it looks really smart he was hoping to wear that to dinner on the non formal nights. He has a dinner suit and suit trousers and shirts and ties for other nights. I think it may also be linked t age he wouldn't ever own or want to wear chinos he sees that as an older style it's just not his style doesn't make him scruffy he is very smart and looks great so will see if he can pass the test for dinner if not he has his dinner suit and suits to change into lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think different people's view points on smart casual. My hubby wears dark blue jeans with a shirt and it looks really smart he was hoping to wear that to dinner on the non formal nights. He has a dinner suit and suit trousers and shirts and ties for other nights. I think it may also be linked t age he wouldn't ever own or want to wear chinos he sees that as an older style it's just not his style doesn't make him scruffy he is very smart and looks great so will see if he can pass the test for dinner if not he has his dinner suit and suits to change into lol

Jeans have never been for me and the last time i wore a pair was 38 years ago when i met my wife.

Jeans have never been for me and the last time i wore a pair was 38 years ago when i met my wife.

Different strokes for different Gilles and there is so many different styles and looks they can be really smart x

Different strokes for different Gilles and there is so many different styles and looks they can be really smart x

First thing she said was ' I'm not going out with you if you wear jeans'and i have never wore them since.