2-month old baby on Seaside?

George4747

My wife and I are considering taking our soon-to-arrive baby on the Seaside this winter. At the time of sailing, our baby will be roughly 2 months old. Does anyone have any info on how easy or difficult it is to sail with a very young baby specifically on a MSC cruise?

In addition, we welcome any responses from other parents/grandparents who have had a young baby on a cruise or witnessed other young babies on a cruise. Thank you!

Its a bad idea for many reasons. If this is your first child its a super bad idea. As new parents you going to be exhausted, Its possible it may be a C section so adding to the stress. Trust me you don't want to be in small room with 2 month old for a week

Stay at home father of 2

Age limit aside, we waited until our son turned one to take him on his first cruise. A big reason why was because of medical considerations. Our doctor told us that we'd be stupid to take him on a cruise before he turned one because, during that first year when babies are building their immune system, they can get sick fast and a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean is no place to deal with that. We had already seen our son go from perfectly healthy to emergency room sick within hours so it was not a risk that we were willing to take for the sake of going on a much needed vacation.

Even after we decided to finally take him on his first cruise, we chose a 5 night itinerary that stayed close to the US mainland and visited ports that were not too far off the beaten path. And even though we'd waited, the cruise was still an eye opening learning experience. Cruising with a small child will be nothing like what you may be used to before you had kids. Even though we don't regret taking that first cruise, I will admit that there were moments when we questioned our sanity and whether we'd made a bad decision.

When our 2nd child was born, we also waited until she had turned one to cruise with her, but we opened up a bit about itineraries and sailed to Alaska. We felt a bit more comfortable with her since she was a much healthier baby and we had already outgrown some of the "first time parents" woes, but we still wanted to be responsible about her well being.

My recommendation is that you wait until your baby is born and consult with your doctor before you put any money down. Hopefully your baby will be perfectly healthy and your doctor will give you the green light before you put any money down, but you don't want to be booked and ready to go only to learn that it's advisable to stay close to home.

I know that it's a bummer to have to wait to travel or change habits or lifestyle, but this will be one of many changes associated with having a baby. Does it suck? Absolutely. But in my humble opinion, the awesome moments and memories will far outweigh the crappy ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hesitated with my original post to give my personal opinion. My first thoughts were:

Omg.....all of the things that are needed for a new born baby and I would have to lug them on a cruise ship.

Omg....I know newborns sleep a lot, but they also cry a lot and need tons of attention. Just as if you are home, I remember the days of never taking a shower, go to the bathroom, putting on make-up, doing my hair or nails.......etc. etc. On a ship? Holy Cow! Forget about you and your spouse even going to dinner or a show. Not happening. Well, actually depending upon what type of person you are, you could let your baby scream during dinner and the shows....

Our last cruise on the Anthem, there were parents with 4 kids. It was terrible. They were all on the pool deck every sea day...ALL DAY. The youngest (about 1 ) screamed and cried ALL DAY. It was terrible. The parents? Did not care. Kept drinking and partying as if they did not have 4 children.

Lots to consider OP....and I hope you make the right decision. I honestly cannot imagine having even a decent time with a newborn.

MSC used have an age limit of 3 months as long as you have no sea days. I know this because we took a 4 /5 month old around the Med on MSC Orchestra about 4 years ago. We were really impressed with the service on board and the help given by the staff, wonderful. The same Grandaughter is now 5 years old and has tucked a lot of cruises, last count about 7, under her belt. A seasoned cruiser.

Champagne you cannot judge a family by one experience. Families are different, my last cruise with RCCI, the whole family were confined to cabin, they were awful, I would rather the baby on board.

MSC used have an age limit of 3 months as long as you have no sea days. I know this because we took a 4 /5 month old around the Med on MSC Orchestra about 4 years ago. We were really impressed with the service on board and the help given by the staff, wonderful. The same Grandaughter is now 5 years old and has tucked a lot of cruises, last count about 7, under her belt. A seasoned cruiser.

Champagne you cannot judge a family by one experience. Families are different, my last cruise with RCCI, the whole family were confined to cabin, they were awful, I would rather the baby on board.

Thank you and I certainly respect your opinion. I am not judging by one family. I only gave one example....but can give dozens if you want me too. The one I gave was the worst because it was a ten day cruise with 4 children and terrible parents. They upset many, many people and did not care. This, of course would not be the case of the OP, but things do happen. A newborn baby has no control of crying (sometimes for hours on end) because of a simple gas pain..new environment, different water(for formula), seasick...... on and on. I have been on enough cruises to know the difficulties the babies and parents can endure. Perhaps the baby would be an angel! Who knows. I have never taken my children at such a young age on a cruise....(I would be scared to death if the baby got sick) nor would I now take any of my grandchildren. JMO.

My wife and I are considering taking our soon-to-arrive baby on the Seaside this winter. At the time of sailing, our baby will be roughly 2 months old. Does anyone have any info on how easy or difficult it is to sail with a very young baby specifically on a MSC cruise?

In addition, we welcome any responses from other parents/grandparents who have had a young baby on a cruise or witnessed other young babies on a cruise. Thank you!

2 months is a little too too young .

We took my 10 month old son on a family cruise, he wound up with broncholitis and we had to fly home from Bermuda because the ships doctor explained they don't have the equipment to deal with medical emergencies for someone that young. It wouldn't be possible to intubate him if necessary. I would wait too many things can happen

First of all: Congratulations with the soon-to-arrive baby! If it is your first, then your life is about to change BIG time!

My wife and I got our first born 4 months ago. Oboy what a ride! First of all: The birth itself took 48 hours, and ended up in an emergency C-section... a terrible experience for all of us. Luckily all ended well! Now both mother and child is healthy and strong!

We travelled (flight within Europe) for the first time this month, and I am happy it was a fairly short flight (1.5 hour). The flight itself worked out perfectly, but it was a big hassle at the airports.. We also had him with us to a restaurant for the first time, and luckily the other guests around was our close family (It was my parents gold wedding celebration).

Our little family will go on a cruise with Celebrity in October. Then our little son will be around 8 months. Not looking forward to the flights (then 3,5 hours each way). We know already now that most of the time will be spent in/around the balcony cabin, and that MDR in best case will be in turns... I am looking forward to this cruise, but we know that it will be very difficult as well. If the sleeping pattern changes again, then it might be horrible for all of us. OR the sleeping will turn out perfect, and cruise life will be perfect.

So far parenting is way harder than I first thouht it would be... Love him more than anything else, but the SCREAMING is FAR from charming...... Diapers is no issue though!

If you decide to go on the cruise, just be prepared for the worst - only hope for the best.. And remember other guests around you! :)

Again, I wish you all the best! It is AMAZING.. and really tough!

..(and yeah, he got a small nap time right now so I can check out CruiseCritic..)

[quote name=RealNorwegianCruiser;53444573

Our little family will go on a cruise with Celebrity in October.

So far parenting is way harder than I first thouht it would be... Love him more than anything else' date=' but the SCREAMING is FAR from charming...... Diapers is no issue though!

. And remember other guests around you! :)

Again, I wish you all the best! It is AMAZING.. and really tough!

..(and yeah, he got a small nap time right now so I can check out CruiseCritic..)[/quote]

Seriously, what about the people in the cabins around you?

What cruise are you going on in October? LOL

Seriously, what about the people in the cabins around you?

What cruise are you going on in October? LOL

Yes, it is one of the things that potentially can be a isdue. Luckily our little son calms down as long as I carry him around in my arms. The crying stops quite fast. .. it is my wife and myselfs job to calm him down.

And hey, some people snores loud and disturb their neighbour cabins....

What cruise? 9th October out of Civitavecchia with Celebrity Reflection. The roll call is quite active, so feel free to join:)

Thank you for all the responses so far. We share the same concerns as many of you (medical care or lack thereof, crying, not able to enjoy cruise with baby in tow). To add a little more info about our situation...we will be with a lot of family, so we will have some help. Also, our cabin will be next to family on both sides, so they would understand that there is baby next door.

The biggest concern for us is the medical care on board. If we ultimately go on the cruise, we want to know that MSC will be able to address most medical concerns (within reason). My understanding, from the limited literature available online, is that MSC has pediatric resources available on board. MSC also has many baby-friendly resources available for free (bottle warmers, strollers, bouncers, baby laundry service, etc). Has anyone had any experience with these specifically? If so, please share!

The biggest concern for us is the medical care on board. If we ultimately go on the cruise, we want to know that MSC will be able to address most medical concerns (within reason).

I would try to get what pediatric care is available onboard in writing. The last thing you want is for your baby to come up with a serious medical condition in the middle of the ocean, with the closest port with neonatal facilities hundreds of miles away, and for the ship doctor to tell you that he can't do anything for your newborn baby. I know that my wife would kill me if that was the case (specially if I were the one organizing the cruise and gathering the information).

There's one thing that you may want to consider as well if you haven't done so: trip insurance. This is something that a lot of people overlook and which could mean life or death, specially for a baby. An emergency medical evacuation at sea alone will cost tens of thousands of dollars.

I know that all of this may sound fatalistic, but with a newborn baby, it's not worth it to take any gambles.

Mom of 4 here :) I am going to keep this very real so look away if you must. Two months old is way too young. Your wife is going to be exhausted, leaking milk, and still not herself if you know what I mean. Like...no swimming for instance. The things that you are thinking you might borrow on the ship like the stroller and the bouncy seat? They might not be meant for a 2 month old. The medical possibilities..just the thought of needing urgent care for a newborn of that age gives me hives :) I really don't care what they put in writing. Before I had my first I was in a bit of La La land. I would be sipping a latte in a coffee shop while my angel slept beside me. I can't even tell you how I laugh about that now. It was more like I twitching from lack of sleep and wearing the baby 24/7 and wiping potato chip crumbs off her head because I could only eat while circling the dining room table. JMO but I would wait. Congrats and best of luck!

We took our son on his first at 10 months old. We enjoyed it, packed a lot, ran short and luckily were able to get more supplies in port. By 10 months (he was our first) we had figured out A LOT and his sleep patterns also got much better. 2 months old is, in my opinion, just too young. Behaviors/patterns are not predictable and there is not adequate medical care onboard for an infant. I am NOT against having kids on a cruise ship, but for your own benefit you may be trying to rush things a bit.

I think @andrew2346 says it best. I'm also a mom of 4, and 8 weeks after delivery, I was barely human. To get very real, I still didn't fit in regular clothes, but maternity clothes looked weird (that whole snap back into pre-baby body is unrealistic for almost everyone -but your wife may get lucky.) I would not have wanted to spend a lot of time in public, where pretty much everyone else at that point is going to look and feel better than me. Definite yes to the leaking milk! And weird night sweats that necessitated changing the sheets and my pj's every few nights. I spent most of my time with my shirt unbuttoned, nursing my child, who ate every 3 hours, around the clock.

Babies require an inordinate amount of stuff, even young ones. The number of diapers, wipes, clothes, and burp cloths you will need to bring is probably incomprehensible to you now. If your wife is not nursing, add bottles, formula, and some way to wash the bottles.

And a 2 month old's immune system is not good. Cruise ships are petri dishes. Everything everyone in your family touches then touches the baby will be transmitted to her/him. If mom is nursing, that will offer some small protection. If not, that's a lot of new germs that will most likely take hold somehow.

Like Tapi says, you are in for big changes, and some of them suck, but it is what it is. My oldest twins go off to college next month - time has flown!

FWIW, I recently heard on NPR that becoming parents ranks up with surviving war as a life-changing experience. That what parents go thru is so foreign to what they have experienced before that there is no real way to know what you are agreeing to when you decide to go thru with it. That the magnitude to which your life changes, and the stress that incurs, is incomprehensible before it actually happens. I totally agree.

Take the advice from those that have BTDT and postpone the cruise just a bit. You will have lots of time to travel when your child is a bit older. My favorite trip to Disney World was when youngest dd was 18 mos. So much fun to watch her, but that 16 month difference would have been all the difference in the world, age wise, from a 2 month old.

I cant believe you are still considering this insanity. 2 month old IS WAY TOO YOUNG! Here is a list as to why this is SUPER bad idea ( I am a stay at home dad of 2 and we cruses with both when they reached 3 years old)

1) Danger to the baby from viruses ( and some vaccines are not given until baby is 6 months and older and lack of pediatric care

2) Your wife will be different human being, getting used to to being a mother, possible postpartum depression, recovering form giving birth. etcc..

3) Tons of stuff you will need to bring box of diapers, wipes, stroller, car seat etcc formula if you wife cant breastfeed

4) caring and living with a newborn in small room will very challenging

5) Just because you traveling with family doest mean they are available, willing and qualified to help. Even if they are as new parent you many not trust them

I am almost sure baby must be 6 month old to go on cruise. First have a baby see how easy it is to take care of him home and then book a cruise))

Thank you for all the responses so far. We share the same concerns as many of you (medical care or lack thereof, crying, not able to enjoy cruise with baby in tow). To add a little more info about our situation...we will be with a lot of family, so we will have some help. Also, our cabin will be next to family on both sides, so they would understand that there is baby next door.

The biggest concern for us is the medical care on board. If we ultimately go on the cruise, we want to know that MSC will be able to address most medical concerns (within reason). My understanding, from the limited literature available online, is that MSC has pediatric resources available on board. MSC also has many baby-friendly resources available for free (bottle warmers, strollers, bouncers, baby laundry service, etc). Has anyone had any experience with these specifically? If so, please share!

No no no not pediatrics's resources on board at all. its just they can call to some paediatric doctor for consult. Can you be sure he will answer? will you trust some one you don't know with 2 month old baby life? Only thing they will do its just take you to Hospital in first port or call for helicopter lift if its real emergency.Last place you want to be with 2 month old sick baby its on cruise. there will be other cruises .plus in this age not even proper vaccination will be done .

It is interesting that nearly every other cruise line has a 6 month old minimum. There are no pediatricians on cruise ships to handle pediatric emergencies. We recently had a new Grandchild added to our family :). The Pediatrician made it clear that the baby should not be very restricted as to his exposure in public places to strangers. And this was for a totally healthy baby. Why? Many physicians now want babies contact with the public...kept to a minimum until after they have received their 2 month shots and have further developed their immune system. There is also an increased fear of whooping cough in the USA....and during the first few months the parents were urged to avoid any contact with folks who have not received whopping cough vaccine in the past few years.

While these cautions may sound extreme, apparently it is the current SMP (Standards of Medical Practice) in many parts of the USA. This is not done to make the parent's life miserable...but to simply further protect the baby during those first few months when they have limited defenses against many bugs and viruses.

Hank

MSC does have an age limit, it is 3 months as long as there are no sea days. No problem there. If your baby has a medical problem then do not take it off-shore.

As far as I know, MSC does not have any age restriction whatsoever. Could you please tell me where did you find that info?? Thanks!