Royal testing to bring back same drink package for all

I totally agree with you! I sometimes feel all these stories of sharing are more fantasy than reality fueled by their moral point of view on the topic. First of all, the facts you stated. How much time could/would a person spend during their vacation trying to figure out how to get more drinks without paying? There isn't that much time, if you're actually doing things and enjoying yourself. And you're not exactly poor if you're cruising. Second, who are these people who "observe" other supposedly sharing a drink package? Are you just wandering the ship watching what people are doing? I myself enjoy some people watching anywhere I go, but not to the point that I know what the hell everyone is doing with themselves in detail. I also don't understand all the drink package sharing rage. If it in fact does happen, why do you care that much? The world is full of people doing stuff they shouldn't, whether it's breaking an official rule or just generally disregarding others. It's called "life". The argument that it raises prices or whatever doesn't leave me convinced. It just seems like one of those things that people get worked up about. Like tipping, chair hogging, dress codes, smoking, etc.

If they change their policy, for whatever reason, I don't care. My BF and I both drink the same and always buy a package.

Agree!

You know what they say about a woman scorned....:*

Hubby says just pay for the tetotaller friend's package and be done with it. Okay. But if it's going to cost ME more I can, at the very least, ensure it costs Royal more, too. Fair is fair. Right?

So for every cocktail I order to drink I can be sure to order a second to leave behind/dump. And if I stop at a bar for a bottle of water I can be sure to obtain a 2nd bottle to throw away. Specialty coffee? Juice? Oh yes. The drains & garbage cans are getting mighty thirsty. This could be an entertaining game for me!

Royal won't have a successful test by me, I promise. You're all welcome for my efforts to bring a test failure. Teamwork. I got you! ;p

Oh. And to those saying this "test" was brought on by the cheaters.....I don't buy that for a second. Why? Because if they were having such loss to people cheating the system they'd simply raise the price of the package or make the change fleet-wide. No, they're "testing" to see what the impact is on their bottom line/revenue. They chose to "test" on a ship people already committed to spending a little extra to sail on for the ship. People are already willing to spend a little more. Ask yourself why this "test" isn't being conducted on a ship that's less expensive to sail? All signs point to this being strictly a test to see how much more money is out there to be raked in. Plain & simple.

Hubby says just pay for the tetotaller friend's package and be done with it. Okay. But if it's going to cost ME more I can, at the very least, ensure it costs Royal more, too. Fair is fair. Right?

So for every cocktail I order to drink I can be sure to order a second to leave behind/dump. And if I stop at a bar for a bottle of water I can be sure to obtain a 2nd bottle to throw away. Specialty coffee? Juice? Oh yes. The drains & garbage cans are getting mighty thirsty. This could be an entertaining game for me!

Royal won't have a successful test by me, I promise. You're all welcome for my efforts to bring a test failure. Teamwork. I got you! ;p

How old are you? 8?

I will be on the harmony on September 30th cruise. I already purchased for my husband the deluxe drink package with voom for one device. I don't drink enough for a package. If I want a drink I will pay for it. Don't drink soda. I drink the lemonade in the windjammer and bring a cup for water. So now I'm being forced to buy a package that I don't want. I know he doesn't have to get the package but It's so much easier to pay upfront for his drinks then to keep checking how much you spend everyday. I have heard about these drink cards that are offered sometimes. I think $79 for 10 drinks. Some ships offer them on day 4 depending how the bar sales are going. Maybe they can offer those instead of making both people in a room have to get the package or you can't get it. I haven't heard anything yet. You would think they would let us know in advance. I love royal, but enough is enough.

If you've paid for one and your account has been charged you're good! When the package first came out you weren't able to just purchase 1online. You had to call, tell them why the oother was unable to indulge and it was good. Even when rule was in effect we still bought 1 on ship no questions asked.

Seriously? There are doctors that will write whatever you want them to. If someone is really intent on getting around this, it won't be a problem. Not to mention, how does RCI know if a note really comes from a doctor? I'm sure there are plenty of people who ignore rules who would have no issue with faking a doctor's note. Also, what about people who choose not to drink? A legitimate doctor would not write a note for that. That answer from RCI doesn't make sense.

Even if true, I don't see how that note could make its way into the system to approve a solo package sale pre cruise - where lots of folks buy their packages at a discount.

I wonder how this will affect all of the drink package pushers on the ship.

Are they going to tell you that you have to go get your cabin mate because he/she has to buy one too?

Card or band

I am in the UK the deluxe drinks package is £35 ($43) The refreshment package I bought and planned to cancel was £15 ($19) the difference is $24 i.e less than the price of 2 glasses of wine. I am not a big drinker a few cocktails and a few glasses of wine in the evening and I already have to subsidise those who over indulge.

In May prepaid was 44 US for unlimited and 71 onthe ship

I hope all the cheapskates who blatantly shared (and often bragged about it) are happy now.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

One on one of the fb pages blatantly complaining because even though they shared they didn't make their 15 drink max on the carnival ship. And they saw nothing wrong with this. I just don't understand people. Now she's getting what she deserves but other people are paying due to this.

Even if true, I don't see how that note could make its way into the system to approve a solo package sale pre cruise - where lots of folks buy their packages at a discount.

Just call, they'll push it thru. When you check in you seapass card will be in your room with sticker

And how do you get the doc note to the CSR on the phone?

They won't ask for note.....they had same policy when first implemented. We've sailed 4-5 times a year since 07. NEVER forced to purchase 2.

Royal won't have a successful test by me, I promise. You're all welcome for my efforts to bring a test failure. Teamwork. I got you!

A perfect example of how cruising clientele is slowly slipping into the Wal-Mart zone.

Edited by bouhunter

They won't ask for note.....they had same policy when first implemented. We've sailed 4-5 times a year since 07. NEVER forced to purchase 2.

Welcome to 2017 where on board revenue is king and RCI will do things differently to make it happen.;)

I'm not saying it won't happen if you give a good sob story and you have a compliant CSR on the phone, but to simply assume you'll always be able to circumvent policy is a bit of wishful thinking.

Welcome to 2017 where on board revenue is king and RCI will do things differently to make it happen.;)

I'm not saying it won't happen if you give a good sob story and you have a compliant CSR on the phone, but to simply assume you'll always be able to circumvent policy is a bit of wishful thinking.

Just called and got C&A. We had 10/717 sailing booked on sailing just 7 weeks ago on Harmony. Said "hey what's up with this two must purchase drink package? We're diamond and she uses her complimentary drinks and we're not buying two" He said "no problem". Would you like to complete your purchase with me now?

Royal won't have a successful test by me, I promise. You're all welcome for my efforts to bring a test failure. Teamwork. I got you!

A perfect example of how cruising clientele is slowly slipping into the Wal-Mart zone.

Thank you. FYI, I avoid Walmart like the plague. You know what they say happens when you ASSUME things, tho. ;) You might also note that the majority of my cruises are on a cruise line that's typically far more expensive than Royal. But keep making assumptions. That's working for you. :)

Why the negativity, though? If it's going to cost me double what makes it wrong for me to have it cost Royal double as well? Fair is fair. I mean, would I be more "respectable" in your eyes if I happily let someone dupe me out of $488?

Just called and got C&A. We had 10/717 sailing booked on sailing just 7 weeks ago on Harmony. Said "hey what's up with this two must purchase drink package? We're diamond and she uses her complimentary drinks and we're not buying two" He said "no problem". Would you like to complete your purchase with me now?

Obviously you got a complaint one. Also, this announcement just happened yesterday. It will take weeks for this to really trickle down to all CSRs.

While many assume this will turn into a fleet wide thing, I'm not so sure. It will really depend on the outcome of the test and what the accountants say.

Originally posted by Snowball I wish they would offer something like drink coupons that could be used by either guest, which would provide a discount on a limited number of drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great idea. It would be similar to the discount drink card some ships sell towards the end of the cruise. Maybe even have a choice of the number of drinks, make it with no expiration and usable on any Royal ship until all drinks are used.

Thank you. FYI, I avoid Walmart like the plague. You know what they say happens when you ASSUME things, tho. ;) You might also note that the majority of my cruises are on a cruise line that's typically far more expensive than Royal. But keep making assumptions. That's working for you. :)

Why the negativity, though? If it's going to cost me double what makes it wrong for me to have it cost Royal double as well? Fair is fair. I mean, would I be more "respectable" in your eyes if I happily let someone dupe me out of $488?

Just goes to show money can't buy maturity or intelligence.