What do you like and/or dislike about sharing a table with strangers?

Hey Tina

It's obviously not advisable to talk about politics at the dinner table on a cruise. But it's unacceptable to respond to someone making a comment about your preferred politician by escalating to physical intimidation.

My wife was asked her opinion of the candidate and simply gave her honest opinion, maybe she should have lied and said what a great person the politician was .;p It's too bad some people can't handle the truth.

My wife was asked her opinion of the candidate and simply gave her honest opinion, maybe she should have lied and said what a great person the politician was .;p It's too bad some people can't handle the truth.

Sometimes the "truth" can be seen as abrasive. Sure, someone may honestly feel that a certain politician is evil personified, but honestly expressing those feelings can lead to a downward spiral. If someone is careless enough to bring up a sensitive topic in unfamiliar company, there is no need to lie : simply mentioning that you prefer not to discuss politics should work.

The best thing about sharing a table is meeting new people

Conversely, the worst thing about sharing a table is meeting new people!

I know enough about US politics to know that I know nothing, so I keep my mouth shut about that! yet I am always amazed that people know so much about Britain

Sharing a table on the my time dining is the best because you don't spend the fortnight with the same people and you can meet a new gang every night if you wanted to! Just don't speak to me at breakfast ... it ain't pretty!

Sometimes the "truth" can be seen as abrasive. Sure, someone may honestly feel that a certain politician is evil personified, but honestly expressing those feelings can lead to a downward spiral. If someone is careless enough to bring up a sensitive topic in unfamiliar company, there is no need to lie : simply mentioning that you prefer not to discuss politics should work.

Yep, lesson learned

We've broken new ground in the past 227 days and 7 hours. Except for those who are truly closed minded or let their politics get in the way of sound thought and judgement, certain things are not a matter of opinion but are just plain truth, without quotes. It's difficult to bite one's tongue when someone else is spewing crap, attempting to normalize bigotry, hate, homophobia, etc. in the name of politics or patriotism. MDR or not, I won't let it go.

It's best I dine at a two top, thank you.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

We've broken new ground in the past 227 days and 7 hours. Except for those who are truly closed minded or let their politics get in the way of sound thought and judgement, certain things are not a matter of opinion but are just plain truth, without quotes. It's difficult to bite one's tongue when someone else is spewing crap, attempting to normalize bigotry, hate, homophobia, etc. in the name of politics or patriotism. MDR or not, I won't let it go.

Thank you for not rolling over and taking it. Hopefully there are enough of us.

I know enough about US politics to know that I know nothing, so I keep my mouth shut about that!

You do not have to be from the Isle of Man to know very little about US politics - too bad many who should (but do not seem to) know a lot more fail to keep their mouths shut.

I had a 10-year friendship ended 2 weeks ago because she violently disagreed with me voicing my opinions on FB. Interesting enough, her daughter has the same opinions as I do - we talk still. I wonder if her mother has stopped talking to her :confused:

Back in the Bush-Gore election bru-ha-ha, I was in Canada on business (Calgary and Banff). If people found out I was from the US, I got all sorts of questions. Not too long ago in Rome, I had wine and appetizers out on the terrace of the Cavalieri when a Canadian couple sat across. Again, we had a nice, but civil discussion (Obama and Harper). But, it was always polite, civil discussion - nothing like we are enduring now. I will not bring up politics. But, if someone does, I do not shy away ;)

I understand your discomfort, but what about the folks who fervently believe they need to bless before eating? Would you deny them that? Sorry, just cannot let this go unsaid.

It seems this discussion is all over the place. Bottom line, to each his/her own, and please don't judge or impose on others. If you simply cannot stand being with others, or if it makes you uncomfortable, eat by yourself, as others have stated. We're not in that camp, but that is our choice.

You obviously don't understand their discomfort. If you did, you would agree that religion and politics don't belong at shared tables. We stay away from shared tables for many reasons. Would you share a table with strangers at a land restaurant? Well, if you wouldn't on land, why would you do it at sea? Our exception is a Chef's Table, where thankfully, some very good wine is usually flowing.

Hopefully there are enough of us.
Too bad the safety pin fashion accessory didn't become more prevalent.

Gee, I thought we took vacations and cruises to relax, not to be uncomfortable...
Me too.

Would you share a table with strangers at a land restaurant? Well, if you wouldn't on land, why would you do it at sea?
It is a good point, though one that would blow the minds of people beholden to the past.

That cuts both ways: Get comfortable with being deferential to other guests' lack of interest in participating in someone else's religious ritual.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

I'm pretty comfortable with the general populations lack of interest in learning about people and exploring other cultures.

We tend to talk a good game, but when placed in the crucible of having to maybe hold hands, touch another human, and partake in a 20 second "ritual" that while meaningless to some, is profound to others, we run like frightned little children.

Best to observe other cultures through the tour bus window or by viewing some rehearsed show that has been put on for us to keep us safe.

It another opportunity lost to learn and appreciate.

Humans are tribal people and they walk around in their personal hallucianations about what great people they are. But when put to the test.....

Yeah...I know all about Christianity because I was raised in it. Saying grace is not an exotic ritual from afar that I have some amazing opportunity to learn about. It's not a new and exciting culture for me to explore, it's something that I already have a lot of unpleasant experience with and something that I chose to separate from.

If someone wants to say grace at the table, more power to them. Go nuts. But it is absolutely rude and inappropriate to expect a stranger at the dinner table to participate in your religious rituals. And I suspect that if someone asked you to hold hands and "partake" while they prayed to Satan, or Xenu, or Zorp the Surveyor, you might not feel the same way.

Your religion belongs inside your own personal bubble. You are welcome to chant over your food at the beginning of the meal, I am equally welcome to exercise my deliberate lack of religion by not joining in.

I'm pretty comfortable with the general populations lack of interest in learning about people and exploring other cultures.
That's nice. The problem is that that wasn't what we were talking about.

Here's a hint: Most Americans - whether they're Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Bahá'í, Buddhists, Unitarians, atheists, agnostics, or whatever - have been exposed to the Christian ritual of saying a blessing before a meal. There is nothing left to explore there. As a matter of fact, what is missing is an interest in learning and exploring the culture of Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Bahá'í, Buddhists, Unitarians, etc. with regard to such rituals. I will admit that as a worship leader I am prepared to do my part in that regard. If someone at the table asks about saying grace, I am ready to say, "That's a great idea; would you mind if I did it?" Then I would proceed to offer an interfaith blessing that would resonate with all religious perspectives, and even with those who hold no religious perspective.

Here's a hint: Most Americans - whether they're Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Bahá'í, Buddhists, Unitarians, atheists, agnostics, or whatever - have been exposed to the Christian ritual of saying a blessing before a meal. There is nothing left to explore there. As a matter of fact, what is missing is an interest in learning and exploring the culture of Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Bahá'í, Buddhists, Unitarians, etc. with regard to such rituals. I will admit that as a worship leader I am prepared to do my part in that regard. If someone at the table asks about saying grace, I am ready to say, "That's a great idea; would you mind if I did it?" Then I would proceed to offer an interfaith blessing that would resonate with all religious perspectives, and even with those who hold no religious perspective.

Well put. Still, it would probably be a good idea to get everyone's compliance - given the strength and sensitivity with which some people adhere to their faith - or lack thereof.

Lol. My wife always cringes anytime anyone ask what I do for a living. Im a legal investigator for a large Law Firm in Connecticut. Didn't get the luck of the Irish. But got the Irish Gift of Gab. Get asked a lot of questions and alway have some great stories. Was happier when I worked for Kodak, lol. So it's table for 2 to keep my better half, happy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I tell people I'm an industrial engineer...which I am btw...but since many don't know or understand the profession they usually just cordially respect me and my opinions ....primarily because they don't know what an industrial engineer does. Lol so they really don't know what type of person they are talking to

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If someone offered to say grace at my table I would say "no worries." Why do you feel the need to offer your interfaith blessing? Is it better than theirs?

As a same sex couple, I would find it awkward if we were seated with people who " didn't approve" of our life. When we travel with our kids, I really enjoy our family time at meals, since it happens so seldom during the year because of schedules.

I do enjoy meeting and chatting with new people on vacation, so if asked to meet up for dinner after chatting comfortably, I could do that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

If someone offered to say grace at my table I would say "no worries." Why do you feel the need to offer your interfaith blessing? Is it better than theirs?

Why be confrontational? While offering grace isn't considered good social etiquette by many, the person offering had everyone's best interest in mind. There are many ways to politely decline the offer. A positive response will set the tone for the rest of the meal.

Burt

While offering grace isn't considered good social etiquette by many, the person offering had everyone's best interest in mind.

I don't think that's true, I think the person offering only had their own interests in mind. If they had everyone's interests in mind, they would understand that not everyone shares their religion and would say grace silently to themselves.

If someone wants to say grace at the table, more power to them. Go nuts. But it is absolutely rude and inappropriate to expect a stranger at the dinner table to participate in your religious rituals. And I suspect that if someone asked you to hold hands and "partake" while they prayed to Satan, or Xenu, or Zorp the Surveyor, you might not feel the same way.

Your religion belongs inside your own personal bubble. You are welcome to chant over your food at the beginning of the meal, I am equally welcome to exercise my deliberate lack of religion by not joining in.

very well said, thank you.

Why be confrontational? While offering grace isn't considered good social etiquette by many, the person offering had everyone's best interest in mind. There are many ways to politely decline the offer. A positive response will set the tone for the rest of the meal.

Burt

not everyone's, but only their own, indeed.

The person offering grace wouldn't have my family's interests in mind at all. We can have a very positive meal without participating in any grace offering.

I don't think that's true, I think the person offering only had their own interests in mind. If they had everyone's interests in mind, they would understand that not everyone shares their religion and would say grace silently to themselves.

Doesn't matter what their motivation is, confrontation shouldn't be the natural reaction. Take the high road and set a positive example for uncomfortable situations. Everyone will be grateful. A polite patient tone is a show of respect and integrity.

Burt