What to do about replacing a passenger who had a stroke

barante

I am confronted with a new situation. My fellow passenger had a stroke and will not recover.

I have two forthcoming cruises, one from Abu Dhabi in December; the other from Australia in March. I have insurance (including pre-existing), but I also have already bought air tickets.

I presume I could cancel both of them for a refund. But in rebooking there would be no guarantee that we could get the same cabin or similar.

What do you think are my options? So the other option would be replacing the sick passenger on my booking and, possibly, eating the cost of a lost air ticket.

What would be the pros and cons of going that latter route?

Edited by barante

sorry about your travel companion

I would talk to your TA

Some lines will charge a small fee for a name change so if you can find someone to go with you that could be an option

The airfare you may be able to cancel one person & claim on insurance but again you may want to talk to the airline & insurance company when you decide if you will continue with the trip

Your insurance should cover this, if it's an independent insurer (i.e., not the cruise line). If you're comfortable with sailing solo, it should refund the money spent on the air tickets and cruise fare for your companion, and cover your single supplement. If you don't want to go solo and want to substitute someone else in, read your contract to see how it will handle this. If it doesn't mention it, call the insurer. They likely will prefer to cover any charges for the substitution with the cruise line than pay out the whole cruise amount. They will need to cover the air fare, as airlines do not allow substitutions.

If you insured with the cruise line (not generally recommended), you need to check with them or have your TA check with them.

So sorry about your friends medical condition.

My situation, last December, is a little different but perhaps will give you some insight. My closest friend and traveling companion on many previous cruises passed away only 32 days before we were scheduled to depart on a cruise and had another cruise planned several months after that one. My TA was a great help, as well as distressed over the death. She immediately made contact with our insurance company and assisted in getting all the proper paperwork and death certificate submitted. In your case it will be medical form paperwork. I received a full refund for both cruises and my friends refund was sent to his daughter. Even though our hotel room, for the night before the cruise, was non-refundable as well as our flight tickets with United, both immediately credited my credit card for the full amounts upon being informed of the situation. I was not expecting this at all but was very appreciative and forwarded my friends share of the refund to his daughter. I am sorry you have to go through this difficult time but I hope you have no problems.

Sorry about your friend. I had to cancel a Holland America cruise to Alaska last year due to my own health problem. I called my travel agent, and he handled the cancellation and sent me the forms to fill out for the insurance we had purchased through HAL. I dealt with the airline (fortunately, Southwest, so we did not lose money--able to use it against flights in December and February). I also dealt with Hotwire canceling my hotel room, and later my credit card to get a refund.

Sorry about your traveling companion.

You mentioned that your cruises are in December and March. Hopefully have you have not paid them in full this far out. We never make the final payment until about 75 days out from the cruise. That way if we need to cancel, we get our deposits back and the agency that we book through doesn't charge a cancellation fee. Also we always buy refundable airline tickets.

You really need to talk to your TA.

I had to cancel my cruise less than a week before leaving.. (long story lets just say I was too sick to travel) my sis got my bil to go. We had a great suite :( that I didn't get to see but anyway HAL charged my sis and bil $800 to take my name off and put his name on. The worse part was the TA we used wasn't happy about doing it and kept telling my sis that she didn't think HAL would do it since it was so close!

Anyway they went and had a great time. So sis and I are doing it again this winter (on the new Koningsdam) This time we have ins.