March 17 Edge booking canceled because of a charter

joeinsb

We were so excited to book on Edge the minute the bookings opened, but because of the tremendous interest in the ship, we could not get our first choice for the February dates we preferred since we wanted the same stateroom for two back-to-back cruises. We were able to get two cruises in late March, but today Celebrity informed our travel agent that our booking for the March 17, 2019, cruise has been canceled because of a charter.

They said we can switch to the March 24 voyage, but we are already booked on that cruise. That was the second cruise on our back-to-back booking. The March 24 cruise hasn't been canceled, but we don't want to fly cross country for one seven-day cruise.

The other option we were offered is March 10, 2019, but that does not match up with our March 24 cruise, so I don't know where we will go from here. We may have to cancel the March 24 booking and sail on some other cruise line. We are already booked on Silhouette in late 2018, so we don't want to book another Solstice-class ship in March 2019.

I know that in the overall scheme of life a canceled cruise is not the end of the world. My wfe went through a year of cancer treatment, so we know what is really important in life, but even so, this was a very important cruise to us. It was a gift to ourselves for our 50th anniversary. We are longtime cruise veterans, so we know that charters are part of the game, but we are so disappointed. It was going to be a wonderful way to celebrate 50 years together.

we too were booked on 17th & 24th. will not be flying from Australia for a 7 day cruise.. giving a good look at rci symphony of the seas for this time frame.. was so looking forward to a sky suite for my 60th.

Good news! Celebrity was able to work out a back-to-back booking for us on Edge after one of our cruises (March 17, 2019) was canceled because of a charter. We had to change the dates of our trip and our stateroom choice, but we are satisfied with the new arrangements, so our 50th anniversary adventure is back on track. Now we just have to make it to 2019.

Good news! Celebrity was able to work out a back-to-back booking for us on Edge after one of our cruises (March 17, 2019) was canceled because of a charter. We had to change the dates of our trip and our stateroom choice, but we are satisfied with the new arrangements, so our 50th anniversary adventure is back on track. Now we just have to make it to 2019.

Good for you! I hope you enjoy it every bit as much as you may be looking forward to the trip!

Glad it is working out,,,,guess we have to give Celeb credit for coming through! Congrats on upcoming Celebration in 2019

We also had a March 17 & 24 B2B.

We were able to rebook the cancelled March 17th sailing for the March 31st sailing, so we still have our B2B. clear.png?emoji-thumbsup-927

The only cabins, in the same category, available both weeks. were right before or after a bump out, so we decided to move up one category, and only had to pay $100 more total, for both weeks, and we got the $350 cancellation OBC.

Thank to CC clear.png?emoji-heart-193 we found out soon enough to be able to make this change. Not many rooms still available both weeks.

We were on 10 and 17 March WE got an upgrade to CC1, $350 obc and price match to move to 3rd and 10th Happy bunnies, though what we will spend OBC on as we have drinks packages and have been to all bar 2 ports before so wont be doing ships trips. Guess I'll have to speciality dine!

We were the 4th customer on the phone to book a suite when Celebrity opened the booking of the Edge, we booked the March 17th Edge sailing for my birthday and retirement cruise and were saddened :loudcry:to get the cancellation/chartered phone call, we really only wanted to do the western Caribbean sailing as we have been to the eastern Caribbean several times, alas the only sailing they are offering for the western Caribbean is on Easter week and we are in the ministry and can't take Easter Sunday off. I know this is a first world problem but we had our hearts set on a suite..... I spent hours on the phone only to be told, too bad, so sad, :mad:we'll give you 250 on board credit per person on any other sailing but will only protect the pricing on March 10 or April 14......kind of miffed at Celebrity right now, we sail them exclusively and have sent numerous customers their way......saddened by the corporate greed and poor handling of this situation.:rolleyes:

Might have to rethink my loyalty, we've spent $$$ with them over the years. Thanks for listening all and I am happy for those folks who will be able to change their plans and enjoy the Edge!

We were the 4th customer on the phone to book a suite when Celebrity opened the booking of the Edge, we booked the March 17th Edge sailing for my birthday and retirement cruise and were saddened :loudcry:to get the cancellation/chartered phone call, we really only wanted to do the western Caribbean sailing as we have been to the eastern Caribbean several times, alas the only sailing they are offering for the western Caribbean is on Easter week and we are in the ministry and can't take Easter Sunday off. I know this is a first world problem but we had our hearts set on a suite..... I spent hours on the phone only to be told, too bad, so sad, :mad:we'll give you 250 on board credit per person on any other sailing but will only protect the pricing on March 10 or April 14......kind of miffed at Celebrity right now, we sail them exclusively and have sent numerous customers their way......saddened by the corporate greed and poor handling of this situation.:rolleyes:

Might have to rethink my loyalty, we've spent $$$ with them over the years. Thanks for listening all and I am happy for those folks who will be able to change their plans and enjoy the Edge!

Disappointing but the damage is done...

Why not do the Eastern itin anyhow? Celebrate your b day and retirement in a suite..EDGE will be all about the ship, less about the ports. We are doing Eastern b/c we enjoy Tortola and not that crazy abt W ports anymore. Just a suggestion...plus rates for EDGE will surely be going up if it's a hit...

Suite pax get more than $250 need to check

They also price matched 3/3 for us and upgraded one level (No Charge) and $350 obc (we are CC1)

Bob

Bob, was that 350 OBC per person or for the cabin? I am calling Celebrity back tomorrow to verify since I keep seeing $350 on this thread.....

We have decided to take the Eastern sailing and enjoy the ship and our first suite experience:D

• Like 1

Well first, the $$$ you have spent with Celebrity over the years wasn't exactly for nothing. I am assuming that you enjoyed the product, found value in it, and therefore you got what you paid for. It doesn't entitle you to special treatment beyond what the Captains Club loyalty program offers.

Next, The change is for a cruise 20 months in the future. yes, you reserved because the price was acceptable, the itinerary was acceptable etc and you were afraid if you didn't get out in front of it, that there would no availability left. I will wager that at least once you said, "if we change our minds, the deposit is refundable until just a few months before the sail date". making a deposit is not being "loyal". If you wanted loyalty, then you would commit and pay the entire amount due at the time of purchase. All Celebrity has right now are a bunch of maybes. Now 20 months in advance a company comes and buys out (full paid at time of purchase) and buys out the ship. Celebrity would be foolish to pass that up. Since this is so far out, there are few people who will not be able to accommodate the change and walk away with same pricing as when they first reserved (which is no more) and some extra OBC. Since you are one of the few this doesn't work out for perfectly,,,you call them greedy and accuse them of handling the situation poorly. Exactly what more would you have wanted them to offer you? If really sounds more as if it is you being greedy and handling the situation poorly. By the way....every cruise line bumps passengers in favor of charters. Celebrity is among the fairest of them.

I'm sorry your plans were upset. I'm sorry you can not be flexible enough to go with the alternatives offered, but you have not been treated poorly at all.

Why not do the Eastern itin anyhow? Celebrate your b day and retirement in a suite..EDGE will be all about the ship, less about the ports. We are doing Eastern b/c we enjoy Tortola and not that crazy abt W ports anymore. Just a suggestion...plus rates for EDGE will surely be going up if it's a hit...

After reading through several threads and counting my blessings, I agree, sailing EDGE will be about the ship, and we have never been to Tortola before, so I am going to accept Celebrities offer to guarantee my suite price, maybe we will see you on-board!

We are on one of the western itineraries, but only because it stops in Key West. I've never been there. We aren't even likely to get off the ship on any of the other ports. This is all about the ship.

Well first, the $$$ you have spent with Celebrity over the years wasn't exactly for nothing. I am assuming that you enjoyed the product, found value in it, and therefore you got what you paid for. It doesn't entitle you to special treatment beyond what the Captains Club loyalty program offers.

Next, The change is for a cruise 20 months in the future. yes, you reserved because the price was acceptable, the itinerary was acceptable etc and you were afraid if you didn't get out in front of it, that there would no availability left. I will wager that at least once you said, "if we change our minds, the deposit is refundable until just a few months before the sail date". making a deposit is not being "loyal". If you wanted loyalty, then you would commit and pay the entire amount due at the time of purchase. All Celebrity has right now are a bunch of maybes. Now 20 months in advance a company comes and buys out (full paid at time of purchase) and buys out the ship. Celebrity would be foolish to pass that up. Since this is so far out, there are few people who will not be able to accommodate the change and walk away with same pricing as when they first reserved (which is no more) and some extra OBC. Since you are one of the few this doesn't work out for perfectly,,,you call them greedy and accuse them of handling the situation poorly. Exactly what more would you have wanted them to offer you? If really sounds more as if it is you being greedy and handling the situation poorly. By the way....every cruise line bumps passengers in favor of charters. Celebrity is among the fairest of them.

I'm sorry your plans were upset. I'm sorry you can not be flexible enough to go with the alternatives offered, but you have not been treated poorly at all.

WOW Fish Lover your reply surprised me a tad bit, you made LOTS of assumptions in your reply. I did pay in full, my kids bought us gift cards for our anniversary and birthdays so were able to pay the sailing in full:confused: I also work in the hospitality industry in contracting so I am well versed in what I am "entitled" too and I didn't think my email said I felt entitled, if that was the impression you got from reading it I am most confused as I was mostly venting my disappointment and I thanked folks for listening to my bemoaning. I do enjoy the Celebrity experience and find them a good value for a quality product. Greedy is the last thing I would call myself......we work in ministry as well, don't take a salary and give back 100% of any money we receive to our local community. I don't fault Celebrity for the charter, as a stock holder I understand the business end of their decision. You ask what I would want from them- I would have liked the option of another sailing date that worked for my schedule, and yes I can only take certain weeks off in the year due to the ministry we work in, no kidding the week of April 14th really is the ONLY week we CAN'T go. I fully understand supply and demand and competitive market pricing, I also know full well that Celebrity can offer the option of another sailing at the guarantee price if they want to. I don't really care about OBC other then I give it back to the crew in the form of gratuities and I was not looking for any freebies......I know that may sound odd but it really is the truth. Your reply came across rather hostile:cool: but I thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

I really didn't intend to be hostile. You accused Celebrity of being greedy and treating you poorly. I don't think that is the case at all.

I also think, if you have spent lost of money over the years on Clebrity, that you spent those dollars on what you got at the time. That's doesn't give you (I used the word entitled) etxra points or better treatment than anyone else when this happens. I don't know how else to interpret what you wrote.

I did assume that you had not paid in full already. If you did, well then you are the exception. Still, charters make sense. They don't happen that often and usually so far in advance, what Celebrity offers for the inconvenience is generous in my opinion. I make no judgments on you as an individual. My only comment was that if you wanted more in this case, then I think that would be unreasonable (and daresay "greedy").

I meant it when I said that I was sorry this happened to you. It's like ordering chicken parm take out , and finding out when you get home that its eggplant parm. Just not what you were anticipating and therefore disappointing.

After reading through several threads and counting my blessings, I agree, sailing EDGE will be about the ship, and we have never been to Tortola before, so I am going to accept Celebrities offer to guarantee my suite price, maybe we will see you on-board!

Hope you enjoy your cruise...and the double Celebration.. lucky to have a suite, We sail AQ and are looking forward to the Infinite balcony..something new,

Check out Tortola,..very pretty island, more than enough to do. We are excited to be going back there,

I felt the same way with my post on Edge. Some folks just have that ability to rub you the wrong way. This is an open forum. By voicing our frustration, we open ourselves up to comments, with opinions that we don't want to hear. They are like the devil's advocate. This site has a few of these people on it, as I have learned. One poster calls them the MEAN people. About Edge; there are truly different levels of anger, disappointment, frustration etc. At every level, people have been negatively affected. There is no positive in this. IT STINKS.

Sadly, group charters are possibility of any cruise line, they are simply economics of the cruise business. I'm just grateful when they are done this far out before air has been booked. Happened to me once, wasn't happy, but its part of the contract that I agree to when booking a cruise. Luckily onlyonce in 28 cruises to me so although not a routine event, but it does occur, gratefully not too often.

And always the possibility of other chartersgoung forward that could affect anyone...esp with sail dates so far out, We may pick a back up just in case.,

Looks like booking a back up cruise won't work out for us.. at least not on Edge. The X website stinks right now so it's very difficult to find another Edge date for either itin; and from what I see on non X sites...prices are much higher in all categories than when we booked.

We have had a few cancellations for charters over the yrs including one on Princess . Only one on X was disruptive. But all the EDGE hype would make a cancellation more disappointing...no comparable choices for replacement. I am betting more charters will eventually be announced. We will be happy if our cruise happens in 2019 but also realistic.

• 8 months later...