Formal Nights

sabrefan

What are formal nights like now on Princess? Do most people get reall dressed up with gowns and tuxedos?

I have been on two previous Princess cruises in 2007 and 2011. I just booked a cruise on Royal Princess for 2018. Have sailed on Oceania where there are no formal nights and Celebrity where rules around formal nights are very loose.

What are formal nights like now on Princess? Do most people get reall dressed up with gowns and tuxedos?

I have been on two previous Princess cruises in 2007 and 2011. I just booked a cruise on Royal Princess for 2018. Have sailed on Oceania where there are no formal nights and Celebrity where rules around formal nights are very loose.

Another thread on formal nights. This is my observation, and not a thesis on dress preferences. The observations are kind of general and vary some by itinerary.

Women - most are in nice dresses or other nice outfits, very few gowns.

Men - about 15% plus or minus are in tux or other formal wear. About 70% or so are in suits with shirt and ties. 5% to 10% are in sport jacket with shirt and tie. Some may just be in a shirt with tie no jacket, sport jacket with nice shirt no tie, and a few just a nice shirt no tie or jacket.

Another thread on formal nights. This is my observation, and not a thesis on dress preferences. The observations are kind of general and vary some by itinerary.

Men - about 15% plus or minus are in tux or other formal wear. About 70% or so are in suits with shirt and ties. 5% to 10% are in sport jacket with shirt and tie. Some may just be in a shirt with tie no jacket, sport jacket with nice shirt no tie, and a few just a nice shirt no tie or jacket.

Agree with the above.

Just adding .... Every year more and more are no longer wearing a tie or jacket.

Dress is not nearly as formal on Princess as it once was. ;)

First time going on a cruise (Royal Princess) What are the dress expectations for formal night? Men: Shirt and tie with pants? Are dress shorts for teens too casual? Can my teen wear a nice dress shirt and pants without a tie? Are dinner jackets necessary? In my head, what I would wear to a wedding would be appropriate...however, the last wedding I went to some people were wearing jeans and dress shirts. Women: I'm thinking for, a simple dress with accessories.

I used to wear a Tux every formal night and a jacket and tie every other night but when you look around you these days in the dining room you nearly feel overdressed so I don't do the tux anymore, just a dark suit and although I get free laundry and pressing I don't even send it any more, partly because the first formal night is often the second night and the laundry doesn't come back in time.

So I attend formal dinner in a slightly creased suit, but with a nice tie. And still feel overdressed.

Another thing that stopped me feeling formal nights were special was when Princess had burger on the menu as an option on formal nights. Really????? On a formal night??????

There are a million threads on this question and I will answer by yet again quoting the Princess website.:

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

The same would apply for teens. My boys wear jackets, slacks, shirt tie and dress shoes. I wear a cocktail dress.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And now for the reality of formal nights. No shorts in the MDR. For men a nice pair of pants, dress shirt and tie will get you into the MDR with no problems from the staff. For women you are correct. There are huge number of threads on this subject and you will never see any agreement on them. Sit back, grab a drink and a snack and enjoy what comes next.

And now for the reality of formal nights. No shorts in the MDR. For men a nice pair of pants, dress shirt and tie will get you into the MDR with no problems from the staff. For women you are correct. There are huge number of threads on this subject and you will never see any agreement on them. Sit back, grab a drink and a snack and enjoy what comes next.

Even though I posted the policy, I agree that this is a true statement....all of it. Get the popcorn.

Even though many people will post that on formal nights at least a suit & tie are mandatory Princess does allow the guys to be dressed as casual as a shirt, tie & slacks and still be seated in the DR.

They have become much less formal over the last decade & let their passengers feel comfortable dressed casually, within reason.

Even the tie has gone by the waste side.

I used to wear a Tux every formal night and a jacket and tie every other night but when you look around you these days in the dining room you nearly feel overdressed so I don't do the tux anymore, just a dark suit and although I get free laundry and pressing I don't even send it any more, partly because the first formal night is often the second night and the laundry doesn't come back in time.

So I attend formal dinner in a slightly creased suit, but with a nice tie. And still feel overdressed.

Another thing that stopped me feeling formal nights were special was when Princess had burger on the menu as an option on formal nights. Really????? On a formal night??????[/quote

Thank you, this was helpful.

Even though many people will post that on formal nights at least a suit & tie are mandatory Princess does allow the guys to be dressed as casual as a shirt, tie & slacks and still be seated in the DR.

They have become much less formal over the last decade & let their passengers feel comfortable dressed casually, within reason.

Even the tie has gone by the waste side.

Thank you, this was helpful. I'm concerned about "tuxedo" and full "suits" for my son and husband.

Thank you. This was helpful.

There are a million threads on this question and I will answer by yet again quoting the Princess website.:

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

The same would apply for teens. My boys wear jackets, slacks, shirt tie and dress shoes. I wear a cocktail

dress.

I'm sorry my question seemed to have upset you. I looked through the "millions of threads" before I posted my thread and honestly I had a hard time finding ones that pertained to Princess Royal attire. I did find many that involved what nights formal dining would occur. I also looked at the log in site on Princess Cruise and didn't find anything. After seeing your post, I was able to find it on the Princess website under questions and answers. You alerting me to that was helpful. I'm sorry to have bothered you. It was my mistake.

Another thing that stopped me feeling formal nights were special was when Princess had burger on the menu as an option on formal nights. Really????? On a formal night??????[/quote

Burger is an option every night

Thank you, this was helpful.

Thanks again Mixer Dave. I understand your sentiments exactly. We went to a wedding this past summer and wore what we thought were formal clothes. Most other guests had on jeans and no ties. We felt over dressed with a suit and nice dress. It sounds like, no shorts in dining room ever. Pants with button down shirt for casual evenings and step it up a notch on formal nights with dress shoes, ties, slacks, etc.

Thanks again Mixer Dave. I understand your sentiments exactly. We went to a wedding this past summer and wore what we thought were formal clothes. Most other guests had on jeans and no ties. We felt over dressed with a suit and nice dress. It sounds like, no shorts in dining room ever. Pants with button down shirt for casual evenings and step it up a notch on formal nights with dress shoes, ties, slacks, etc.

That is correct and the reality of formal night on Princess Cruise Line. Just one correction as nice Polo shirts are great for casual evenings. Enjoy your cruise.

First time going on a cruise (Royal Princess) What are the dress expectations for formal night? Men: Shirt and tie with pants?

Yes, pants would be good.... ok, please don't be offended. This made me really lol, as I pictured a guy just wearing a shirt and tie. Now I'm kind of scared to ask, it's ok to wear jeans to the buffet for dinner if we don't want to do formal night, right? I'm on the Grand, end of August. (People can be so mean on this board...)

Yes, pants would be good.... ok, please don't be offended. This made me really lol, as I pictured a guy just wearing a shirt and tie. Now I'm kind of scared to ask, it's ok to wear jeans to the buffet for dinner if we don't want to do formal night, right? I'm on the Grand, end of August. (People can be so mean on this board...)

Jeans are fine in the buffet anytime.

Most seem to be somewhere in between. You'll see some tuxes & gowns, but mostly sport coats/slacks & cocktail type dresses. Oceania is nice slacks & polo or dress shirts.."Country Club chic"(whatever that is)

That's a pretty good description of what we saw on the Regal.

First time going on a cruise (Royal Princess) What are the dress expectations for formal night? Men: Shirt and tie with pants? Are dress shorts for teens too casual? Can my teen wear a nice dress shirt and pants without a tie? Are dinner jackets necessary? In my head, what I would wear to a wedding would be appropriate...however, the last wedding I went to some people were wearing jeans and dress shirts. Women: I'm thinking for, a simple dress with accessories.

Basically, what would you wear to a really nice restaurant on a special night? I'd say that sums it up.

Shorts for kids on formal night in the MDR is not allowed.(really no night actually, in the MDR)Was just at a wedding this weekend. All of us had suits except one guy who wore a long sleeve shirt(untucked)& jeans. Sorry, but he stood out like a sore thumb. Dress on invitation was "proper attire". Out of 90 people he had no clue! Simple dress & accessories is fine.

Edited by keithm
additions

How would you dress when go to a "nice" restaurant? Use that as a guide.

That's really a complicated question since depending on where you live in the world it differs greatly.

In Florida our restaurants mostly tend to be casual and someone showing up in a pair of shorts wouldn't be given a second glance. I suppose there are some that require dressier clothing but we haven't seen them.

Even seeing someone in a bathing suit & flip flops with a cover up in a supermarket is common.