Booked with MSC...First Impressions Are Not Good

GadgetRick

sorry,but I don't even get what problem you have? what you want to do? Just print your documents you must have them or cal land ask them to mail it to you.

Apparently, you didn't read my posts. Maybe you should clear your cookies?

I called this morning because the refund still was not in my account. Guess what? It was never processed and sent to accounting! What?? How is that possible when I spoke to someone, confirmed I was cancelling and she said the refund would be back on my card in a few days. Amazing. Hopefully the person who I spoke to today did what he said he would and sent it to accounting. Ineptitude abounds. I'll be keeping an eye out again.

That's exactly what happened to me. Their refund process is archaic at best, and the fact that their bank is overseas delays the refunds even more. Hopefully, you will have a quicker resolution than I did.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Uh oh. I just canceled a cruise yesterday, and now I'm reading about cancellation refund issues. I thought it was very strange that when I requested the cancellation, the guy asked me for the credit card number the refund was going to. With other cruise lines (and almost everywhere else), they already know your card number and it's an automatic process to refund the card that was originally used.

Then I asked him to send me a confirmation of the cancellation. He said there are no confirmations. Your booking just "disappears". Huh? I asked him, if I don't see the refund come through and have to call back, where is the proof. He again said that the booking just won't be there and that's the proof it was cancelled. Oh boy. Needless to say, before my reservation disappeared I took screen shots showing the deposit paid.

I also had a problem when I booked. Long story, but that could have turned out very badly. Despite these issues, I do plan on re-booking the Seaside for mid-2019, so I'm not totally turned off by their customer service...yet.

Uh oh. I just canceled a cruise yesterday, and now I'm reading about cancellation refund issues. I thought it was very strange that when I requested the cancellation, the guy asked me for the credit card number the refund was going to. With other cruise lines (and almost everywhere else), they already know your card number and it's an automatic process to refund the card that was originally used.

Then I asked him to send me a confirmation of the cancellation. He said there are no confirmations. Your booking just "disappears". Huh? I asked him, if I don't see the refund come through and have to call back, where is the proof. He again said that the booking just won't be there and that's the proof it was cancelled. Oh boy. Needless to say, before my reservation disappeared I took screen shots showing the deposit paid.

I also had a problem when I booked. Long story, but that could have turned out very badly. Despite these issues, I do plan on re-booking the Seaside for mid-2019, so I'm not totally turned off by their customer service...yet.

I cancelled with MSC couple times once from TA took 4 weeks and 2 phone calls and once from MSC took one call and one week to get money back. Don't worry. As for the CC number they don't keep it now for security reason .

That is reassuring :) Half the time I can't see my booking and it is still in place.

No offense but, most of us don't need an agent. It's 2017, not 1985 and the Internet is a wonderful place. As much as I travel--as many cruises as I've been on--I've never had this experience (and have never used a travel agent). Also, a travel agent wouldn't be able to help the issues for the people at check-in. I just know (in my heart), no matter what, I'll have issues when I get to the port.

A travel agent won't solve the problems MSC is having, it may hide some of them from the public but it won't fix them. If MSC wants to succeed here, they need to get this worked out.

Regarding the website problems getting so much attention, Ronald Reagan used to say that with all this manure, there must be a pony here somewhere! Meaning I can't wait to see what MSC comes up with as a replacement. But for what it's worth I was able to purchase options on MSCUSA (WiFi, laundry package) and check in online last year with minor hiccups. Regarding travel agents, I don't think 2017 makes them obsolete. Look, I'm an early adopter who's owned every model iPhone since the debut opening weekend in 2007, and I've never set foot in a branch of the bank I've used since 2004. But my travel agent got me things I never knew existed and arranged deals that I didn't have the leverage to get myself. For example he got us into an over the top hotel suite on a high floor in Miami where I got to watch Divina arrive in the early light the morning of our embarkation. I found out it's the most sought after suite in the hotel, and he already reserved it for us next year. Onboard our agent got us suites not available to the public and arranged for us to share the same butler. Elon Musk is warning us about the future robot uprising but I can't see how travel agents will ever be replaced.

Regarding the website problems getting so much attention, Ronald Reagan used to say that with all this manure, there must be a pony here somewhere! Meaning I can't wait to see what MSC comes up with as a replacement. But for what it's worth I was able to purchase options on MSCUSA (WiFi, laundry package) and check in online last year with minor hiccups. Regarding travel agents, I don't think 2017 makes them obsolete. Look, I'm an early adopter who's owned every model iPhone since the debut opening weekend in 2007, and I've never set foot in a branch of the bank I've used since 2004. But my travel agent got me things I never knew existed and arranged deals that I didn't have the leverage to get myself. For example he got us into an over the top hotel suite on a high floor in Miami where I got to watch Divina arrive in the early light the morning of our embarkation. I found out it's the most sought after suite in the hotel, and he already reserved it for us next year. Onboard our agent got us suites not available to the public and arranged for us to share the same butler. Elon Musk is warning us about the future robot uprising but I can't see how travel agents will ever be replaced.

Not sure if you're trying to say MSC doesn't have problems with their system because you experienced no problems or not.

As far as travel agents go, I didn't say they can't be helpful, my point is, they are not needed in this day and age. Sure, a good TA may have some relationships and may be able to get you a few of the things you received, however, But, you are talking about an exception, not the rule with your TA. Not all of them can (or will) go to the extent yours did to make you happy. That's great. But, they are not needed in order to book travel and have a smooth trip (no pun intended) today.

And, again, those of us who have experienced the problems we're talking about would STILL have the problems we've had since these problems are on the MSC side and is their technology problems. As I've said, the TA may be able to hide some of these problems from the public (not a bad thing for us) but they wouldn't make these problems go away.

I'm not here trying to convince you--or anyone else--NOT to use a TA, I just have no need for one.

Well said. A professional travel agent would be the ones making the phone calls for their clients. Dealing with the Online Check-In issues and e-Docs. Plus even doing the Status Match. Good agents know how to get things done by going to the right people.

Still will never understand why people put themselves through hell when agents services are free plus give you a better deal. And if your agent doesn't do all the above for you if you ask, you need to find a new agent. As an agent, I do this on a nearly regular basis so I know the frustration. But that is my job...to make it the best vacation experience possible for the client.

Enough of my rant for today. ;p

Bret

Who do you use? Calling directly is SO ANNOYING and I get so much attitude :rolleyes:

I hope the OP posts how his check in at the port went after he returns. Always nice to hear the followup.

I started to use the web site tonight to book a Seaside cruise and the site kept getting hung up. I did receive 2 emails asking if I would want to continue the booking, but I'll phone tomorrow and see how that process goes.

I hope the OP posts how his check in at the port went after he returns. Always nice to hear the followup.

I started to use the web site tonight to book a Seaside cruise and the site kept getting hung up. I did receive 2 emails asking if I would want to continue the booking, but I'll phone tomorrow and see how that process goes.

I will for sure. I'm with you, I like to hear how things work out in the end (or don't).

Totally lost it now

evandbob- - In normal forum terms GadjetRick is the OP.

yet he has just said he agrees with you and wants to know

how it works out for ??? the OP ????

Edited by Aulanis

Totally lost it now

evandbob- - In normal forum terms GadjetRick is the OP.

yet he has just said he agrees with you and wants to know

how it works out for ??? the OP ????

I think you've misunderstood GR's response. He said "I will, for sure" to evandbob's "I hope the OP posts how his check in at the port went". He just meant that he, too, likes to hear how things turn out so he intends to come back and let us know how he gets on.

I think you've misunderstood GR's response. He said "I will, for sure" to evandbob's "I hope the OP posts how his check in at the port went". He just meant that he, too, likes to hear how things turn out so he intends to come back and let us know how he gets on.

Exactly. I will keep everyone posted (pun intended) on how it all goes. Just want to enjoy the trip.:)

Exactly. I will keep everyone posted (pun intended) on how it all goes. Just want to enjoy the trip.:)

Hopefully, you will, too! I can understand your fears, though, with the problems you're having.

Personally speaking, I've never encountered anything similar. But we can't book online in Ireland so I've either booked direct or thru' a TA. I can say that I've done 16 cruises on MSC ships with 4 more booked. I think that illustrates how much I enjoy sailing MSC. That's not to say that I haven't had problems. However, just look at the forums for other cruiselines and you'll find people have issues there, too.

I hope you get sorted soon so that you can look forward to your trip with peace of mind.

Hopefully, you will, too! I can understand your fears, though, with the problems you're having.

Personally speaking, I've never encountered anything similar. But we can't book online in Ireland so I've either booked direct or thru' a TA. I can say that I've done 16 cruises on MSC ships with 4 more booked. I think that illustrates how much I enjoy sailing MSC. That's not to say that I haven't had problems. However, just look at the forums for other cruiselines and you'll find people have issues there, too.

I hope you get sorted soon so that you can look forward to your trip with peace of mind.

Thanks. It seems, once you're on the ship, things seem much better. So I'm hopeful. :)

Just don't want to be put in a bad mood right when I get there, kinda kills the excitement of going on vacation (holiday for the Europeans).

I think you've misunderstood GR's response..

LOL - well I did say I had totally lost it

:o

So I was partly right :D

Must be landsickness I need a cruise or maybe

:beer-mug: :beer-mug: :beer-mug:

So I'll look forward to GadgetRick's post cruise report. But in the meantime, I booked a Seaside cruise via telephone directly with an MSC agent. I received the confirmation email as I was hanging up the phone. Agent was friendly and helpful, and she gave me her phone # so if any issues arise I can contact her directly.

Now I'm awaiting my status (Carnival Diamond) match from MSC and my Voyager #. Agent said she will apply 5% discount when I call her back with that info.

It did feel different booking on the telephone since I'm usually online clicking away booking a cruise or land vacation.

I don't want a TA either, part of the fun of planning vacations is doing everything myself. That also means not bugging someone when I change my mind several times over the next year until my vacation comes. I know some folks love having someone doing everything for them, I do not.

Not sure if you're trying to say MSC doesn't have problems with their system because you experienced no problems or not.

As far as travel agents go, I didn't say they can't be helpful, my point is, they are not needed in this day and age. Sure, a good TA may have some relationships and may be able to get you a few of the things you received, however, But, you are talking about an exception, not the rule with your TA. Not all of them can (or will) go to the extent yours did to make you happy. That's great. But, they are not needed in order to book travel and have a smooth trip (no pun intended) today.

And, again, those of us who have experienced the problems we're talking about would STILL have the problems we've had since these problems are on the MSC side and is their technology problems. As I've said, the TA may be able to hide some of these problems from the public (not a bad thing for us) but they wouldn't make these problems go away.

I'm not here trying to convince you--or anyone else--NOT to use a TA, I just have no need for one.

I don't think MSC will be garnering my business ever. After calling again about my refund (which hadn't been processed the first time I called to cancel) I log on to my CC account and what do I see this morning? A refund! Yes! Wait, what?? It was for $98. I should have received my full deposit of $198 back per both the phone reps. How is this even possible? They should have just reversed the charge. Now I must make phone call 3. First, and last, impressions are not good.

Yeah, I hope they get these issues worked out. It is so nice on Carnival to just be able to click the cancel button and a couple days later the money is back on your card. I would do Carnival again but I really need to try something else. I'm still not 100% set on our MSC cruise, if a good deal comes up on an all inclusive I will probably jump ship (yes I know what I did) and book that instead. Right now for June 2018 the prices for the all inclusives I have checked are outrageous, mostly thanks to American Airlines. Still hoping as it gets closer there will be better flight deals as I would really prefer to do an AI right now over a cruise. To be continued.....

I don't think MSC will be garnering my business ever. After calling again about my refund (which hadn't been processed the first time I called to cancel) I log on to my CC account and what do I see this morning? A refund! Yes! Wait, what?? It was for $98. I should have received my full deposit of $198 back per both the phone reps. How is this even possible? They should have just reversed the charge. Now I must make phone call 3. First, and last, impressions are not good.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Got to the port and got aboard with no problems. Just have to sort out my Internet--wasn't able to order early to get the bonus because of these problems--but I'm not messing with Guest Services until later when the crowds die down.

Bonus is the pizza is awesome.