Do you pre-pay everything?

A&Jfamily

Do you pre-pay on board expenses?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Do you pre-pay on board expenses?

• Yes, I pre-pay as much as I can!
    • Some
    • No, I don't pre-pay anything that isn't required.

Ok - so this is my second thread of the day, prompted by the other, wherein it is pretty obvious people either fall into the pre-pay or not pre-pay camp. I'm going to give a 3rd option, but really curious.

Feel free to post your reasons!

We prepay everything, taxes, tips, insurance and other items just so we won't have to worry about it later.

I prepay mostly everything.... next cruise I'm getting free gratuities and $200 obc so I'll save that for the big pc lock excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are for our next cruise mainly to have a larger amount for our charge card and be able to get a statement credit to pay off the cruise in it's entirety. We can only do this every couple of years, the other cruises we purchase gift cards at 10% savings and prepay. For us it's the fact that most of the cruise is already paid for before we even step on the ship, with a minimal sail and sign account when we leave the ship. However everyone has their own way of doing things, most important is that your going on a cruise!

No, we don't pay ahead. Why use my money now? We pay our credit card bills off every month so there is no real big bill, I'd rather stretch it out. We have four cruises booked and only two are paid for completely and that is only because we are going on them next month.

I've prepaid the gratuity, excursions, Cheers, bubbles, internet package... pretty much anything that could be prepaid before getting on board.

But- as far as pre-purchasing Carnival gift cards and using them to fund my on board account- no I did not go that route for this cruise. I can see the benefit of it, but for this upcoming cruise we have some OBC waiting for us, so I did not see the need to buy extra gift cards or cruise cash this time.

Yes I prepay as much as possible with 10-15-20% off Carnival gift cards.

Repeated from another thread:

I prepay as much as I can ahead of time like gratuities and BB so that's one less thing I have to factor in on the ship. I start with a clean slate and I like it that way. And no, I don't care about the minuscule "interest" or the fact that I'm giving Carnival a "free loan" because again, they are paid for with discounted Carnival gift cards so the gift card people already had my money to begin with.

I pay what is required at the time it is required to be paid by. I do not voluntary pay early for anything unless there is financial advantage or reason to for me. Paying early does not make things "easier" for me mentally. I *will* pay ahead if there is an advantage to me doing so; such as the Amex $100 credit with a $500 payment

Yes I prepay as much as possible with 10-15-20% off Carnival gift cards.

Repeated from another thread:

I prepay as much as I can ahead of time like gratuities and BB so that's one less thing I have to factor in on the ship. I start with a clean slate and I like it that way. And no, I don't care about the minuscule "interest" or the fact that I'm giving Carnival a "free loan" because again, they are paid for with discounted Carnival gift cards so the gift card people already had my money to begin with.

I do the same thing. The potential interest/return isn't worth the convenience and psychological benefits of not prepaying for me. Need to start doing the discounted gift cards, would potentially be a big $$$ saver.

I said no because as this was our first cruise I didn't even think of it. I told hubs next time we are going to buy Carnival gift cards from Kroger every month (plus get the Fuel Points) and then apply them to our S&S card when we get on the ship. Then we don't have to worry about owing at the end.

I said no because as this was our first cruise I didn't even think of it. I told hubs next time we are going to buy Carnival gift cards from Kroger every month (plus get the Fuel Points) and then apply them to our S&S card when we get on the ship. Then we don't have to worry about owing at the end.

You can also use them to pay for your cruise. I have saved so much money between those and the Amex offers.

I pay what is required at the time it is required to be paid by. I do not voluntary pay early for anything unless there is financial advantage or reason to for me. Paying early does not make things "easier" for me mentally. I *will* pay ahead if there is an advantage to me doing so; such as the Amex $100 credit with a $500 payment

(y) Ditto for us

I like boarding knowing everything possible is already paid and normally with a healthy OBC balance from Early Saver to boot. My wife doesn't drink and I have just two Gin and Tonics per day so our booze bill is insignificant. We normally get a check at the end of the cruise.

We pre-pay as much as we can as well.

I always pre-pay gratuities (if not w/ the reservation w/ pts from my CWMC); spa treatments, excursions.

It frees up a lot of extra spending cash if we can pay in advance, plus w/ things like excursions and spa treatments we know we are booked and get the time slots we want.

I marked some because it depends on the cruise line and if I can get discounted gift cards. Our next Carnival Cruise is pre-paid because I was able to get $800 in gift cards for a total of $705 (10-15% off depending on the sale). Since I already had purchased the gift cards to get the discount, I went ahead and finished paying for our cruise, prepaid gratuities, purchased the Social Internet Plan at the discounted on-line rate, and purchased the Sail Away package from the Fun Shops. Leaving me with $450+ to spend on-board or leave on the card for our next Carnival Cruise. After we return from this cruise I will again watch for the deals on the gift cards and hopefully have enough to cover our deposit with discounted cards next time we go to book.

Since I have not found discounted NCL gift cards anywhere, I will wait to pay until required to on our NCL cruises. Other cruise lines may vary.

Sometimes it pays to pay early as the discounts I receive can be much more than the earnings I would make on that money sitting in my bank...While I always purchase my discount gift cards and cruises with a credit card to get the reward dollars (my vacation spending money), I always pay in full at the end of the month so as not to pay any interest on that money. We always made sure we had the cash to pay in full before purchasing. Whether you pre-pay or pay when due, the key is to not go in debt when purchasing a vacation. Paying with interest for a vacation that is already done and over is just planning IMHO.

We sail on Regent where everything is included and thus prepaid: gratuities, beverages, shore excursions, specialty dining, fitness classes.....the only onboard expenditures would be for salon/spa services, boutique purchases, private or specialty excursions - things of that nature.

Prepay everything possible when booked. Then during planning, just pay for excursions and drink packages/extras on the cruise planners. I can't at all see the point in holding off unless you simply don't have the money. Any gained interest on keeping the money in the bank is trivial. If you book a cruise, you bought a cruise, why not just pay for it? I see no upside in waiting unless you don't have enough funds to comfortably part ways with the cruise fare and need to wait and save.

Prepay everything possible when booked. Then during planning, just pay for excursions and drink packages/extras on the cruise planners. I can't at all see the point in holding off unless you simply don't have the money. Any gained interest on keeping the money in the bank is trivial. If you book a cruise, you bought a cruise, why not just pay for it? I see no upside in waiting unless you don't have enough funds to comfortably part ways with the cruise fare and need to wait and save.

If I book a cruise 18 months out and have to pay for it 15 months down the road; let's say I owe $2k on it. Paying that $2K out to pay down additional principle on a mortgage, or accelerate investments is more advantageous than paying early on something without benefit. The cruise costs the same amount today or in 15 months. If I do need to cancel the cruise I also am not waiting for a refund of more funds than was strictly necessary.

I could send the water company a check large enough to not have a water bill for two years, but there's no reason to do that when there's more advantageous ways to spend the money. That's the logic at work here.

If I book a cruise 18 months out and have to pay for it 15 months down the road; let's say I owe $2k on it. Paying that $2K out to pay down additional principle on a mortgage, or accelerate investments is more advantageous than paying early on something without benefit. The cruise costs the same amount today or in 15 months. If I do need to cancel the cruise I also am not waiting for a refund of more funds than was strictly necessary.

I could send the water company a check large enough to not have a water bill for two years, but there's no reason to do that when there's more advantageous ways to spend the money. That's the logic at work here.

I can see your point, but what about where discounted Carnival Gift Cards come into play? Is there a reason why I shouldn't go ahead and just get everything out of the way now? My money is already gone out of my account. Besides, when I budget for a cruise, I will not be using those funds for any other purpose such as the things you mentioned so that doesn't come into play for me.

I get the "prepay" is a psychological trick some people play on themselves. Whatever works for you. I am floored people plan cruises out 18 months in advance. People are actually planning vacations for 2019. I think that is amazing