Eclipse - August 21st, 2017

If you happen to be on a Caribbean cruise on 8/21 you might want to consider your options for viewing the Solar eclipse. A solar eclipse is when the moon is between the Earth and the Sun. The Caribbean won't be perfect, but, you should still see some of it. I think it would be awesome to be on a cruise and see the eclipse, so I am jealous.

You can use this tool to get the exact times for your location:

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/interactive_map/index.html

If you need a refresher on how to do this safely, try this:

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

Going to a celebration here in Nashville. As a retired science teacher, I started several years ago talking about this to my kids. I had written on my whiteboard "Where will you be on August 212, 2017" for a couple of years!

My daughter just graduated from SIU and still lives in Carbondale for the time being....there's eclipse-related stuff all over the place there!

Small world, my brother-in-law lives in Graham and will be going with us to SIU.

My wife and I will be with friends in Hendersonville, TN, just north of Nashville. Have our eclipse glasses and made a pinhole camera out of a couple of cardboard boxes. As mentioned, just need clear skies!

We're going to head out at the crack o' dawn to drive about 35 - 40 minutes south towards Lincoln City, Oregon, which is in the path of totality. We get it at around 10:15 a.m. but there will be MASSIVE traffic and Highway 101 comprises two meandering lanes most of the way.

We might make a left turn and go partly up the Coast Range. According to historic weather data for August 21, there is a 60% chance of fog or overcast sky on the coast at that time. (It usually blows off between 10:30 and noon, wouldn't it be a shame if that happened on this date?)

The 8/20 sailing of the Oasis is being specifically billed as an eclipse cruise. They changed the order of ports so that they can position the ship in the eclipse path. The length of totality will be shorter than some places on land but it will still be over two minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're going to head out at the crack o' dawn to drive about 35 - 40 minutes south towards Lincoln City, Oregon, which is in the path of totality. We get it at around 10:15 a.m. but there will be MASSIVE traffic and Highway 101 comprises two meandering lanes most of the way.

We might make a left turn and go partly up the Coast Range. According to historic weather data for August 21, there is a 60% chance of fog or overcast sky on the coast at that time. (It usually blows off between 10:30 and noon, wouldn't it be a shame if that happened on this date?)

We're concerned about the weather too. What a bummer if it's overcast, which is not unusual.

The only reason we are coming to the US this year is to see the Eclipse. I've picked out a place in the middle of nowhere (South Carolina actually...sorry South Carolinans!) via Google Earth to get a good view. Last one we had in Europe in 1999 just got the edge of Cornwall in England, so my wife and I went on holiday to the middle of Germany to get a good view. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday were gorgeous. Guess which day the eclipse was on? Wednesday the heavens opened and it p****d down! The only thing we saw was it got dark very quick, then got light again very quick. Hopefully the weather in August in SC will be a lot better...fingers crossed!

Simon

Driving to SIU for the eclipse.:)

My son goes to ISU and I suggested he and some friends drive to SIU for the total eclipse as well.

We will have good viewing here in Nashville. I plan on setting up one of my telescopes with a solar filter to do a time lapse of the eclipse.

If you happen to be on a Caribbean cruise on 8/21 you might want to consider your options for viewing the Solar eclipse. A solar eclipse is when the moon is between the Earth and the Sun. The Caribbean won't be perfect, but, you should still see some of it. I think it would be awesome to be on a cruise and see the eclipse, so I am jealous.

You can use this tool to get the exact times for your location:

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/interactive_map/index.html

If you need a refresher on how to do this safely, try this:

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

Hello Rodger!! We booked that Oasis Eclipse Cruise when they began advertising it as such. Of course some negatives could come into play (rain, clouds, Hurricane Season) but we love the Eastern route and have already seen a total eclipse and therefore won't be heartbroken if it is a wash. They are billing it as having special events and entertainment and will provide quests with approved glasses. Because they reversed the itinerary they have planned to place the ship in the direct path.

I hope you are well and enjoying life.

Gil

I picked the Oasis cruise since in the case of cloudy skies I'd still be on a cruise. I saw the 1991 eclipse in Hawaii, I chose there for similar reasons, in the case of clouds I would still be in Hawaii. Fortunately, I saw all 4 1/2 minutes of totality then.

I actually feel the odds are better at sea since the ship can move. Also, in the southeastern US in the Summer clouds tend to build up in the afternoon. When I considered South Carolina, I was trying to decide between a coastal area or on the eastern side of one of the lakes in the path since the cooler water tends to decrease the chance of clouds. Another thing to consider is that as the partial phases of the eclipse begin the air temperature will drop and any fair weather cumulus clouds will start to dissipate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here is a photo I took through my telescope of the Venus transit in front of the sun in 2012.

The moon will block out a little more of the sun :)

This is breathtaking, thank you!