Eclipse - August 21st, 2017

My son goes to ISU and I suggested he and some friends drive to SIU for the total eclipse as well.

We will have good viewing here in Nashville. I plan on setting up one of my telescopes with a solar filter to do a time lapse of the eclipse.

Oh man that brought back memories from the 70's:o

We would drive the 3 plus hours from ISU down 51 to SIU to visit some friends that went there. Was not for eclipse sighting but we did see the sun come up a few times.:beer-mug::whiskey-glass::beer-mug:

Hello Rodger!! We booked that Oasis Eclipse Cruise when they began advertising it as such. Of course some negatives could come into play (rain, clouds, Hurricane Season) but we love the Eastern route and have already seen a total eclipse and therefore won't be heartbroken if it is a wash. They are billing it as having special events and entertainment and will provide quests with approved glasses. Because they reversed the itinerary they have planned to place the ship in the direct path.

I hope you are well and enjoying life.

Gil

Hey Gil. Nice to hear from you. Hope you enjoy the cruise. Send us a picture of what you see.

Cheers.

The 8/20 sailing of the Oasis is being specifically billed as an eclipse cruise. They changed the order of ports so that they can position the ship in the eclipse path. The length of totality will be shorter than some places on land but it will still be over two minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are on that cruise -- was a bit bummed because we live in SC and were going to miss the Eclipse. So now we are excited.

I also like OA doing her ports in reverse -- on FR Eastern Itinerary did that and we liked it better-- we got into St. Thomas earlier.

The only reason we are coming to the US this year is to see the Eclipse. I've picked out a place in the middle of nowhere (South Carolina actually...sorry South Carolinans!) via Google Earth to get a good view. Last one we had in Europe in 1999 just got the edge of Cornwall in England, so my wife and I went on holiday to the middle of Germany to get a good view. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday were gorgeous. Guess which day the eclipse was on? Wednesday the heavens opened and it p****d down! The only thing we saw was it got dark very quick, then got light again very quick. Hopefully the weather in August in SC will be a lot better...fingers crossed!

Simon

We live about 1 1/2 hours south of Charleston and and our media is covering the Eclipse pretty well. One tip is to prepare for traffic. Hope you have a hotel room as when this article came out a few days ago, Charleston only had two hotels with occupancy: http://www.islandpacket.com/news/weather/article162400933.html

The only reason we are coming to the US this year is to see the Eclipse. I've picked out a place in the middle of nowhere (South Carolina actually...sorry South Carolinans!) via Google Earth to get a good view. Last one we had in Europe in 1999 just got the edge of Cornwall in England, so my wife and I went on holiday to the middle of Germany to get a good view. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday were gorgeous. Guess which day the eclipse was on? Wednesday the heavens opened and it p****d down! The only thing we saw was it got dark very quick, then got light again very quick. Hopefully the weather in August in SC will be a lot better...fingers crossed!

Simon

Welcome to my state. What city did you pick for the Eclipse? If you get a chance, take a side trip to beautiful and historic Charleston, visit our beautiful beaches or some of our beautiful parks.

Weather will be HOT!

enjoy

M

We live about 1 1/2 hours south of Charleston and and our media is covering the Eclipse pretty well. One tip is to prepare for traffic. Hope you have a hotel room as when this article came out a few days ago, Charleston only had two hotels with occupancy: http://www.islandpacket.com/news/weather/article162400933.html

Welcome to my state. What city did you pick for the Eclipse? If you get a chance, take a side trip to beautiful and historic Charleston, visit our beautiful beaches or some of our beautiful parks.

Weather will be HOT!

enjoy

M

Hotels have been booked for over 6 months. We fly into Atlanta on the Thursday, drive to Charleston on Friday, do the sightseeing over the weekend then I've picked out a place near Laurens (on the way to Greenville) to see the eclipse. After that we will wend our way up the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive to Gettysburg, then head to Cape Liberty to pick up the Anthem on the 31st. 2 weeks on the ship then fly home...exhausted!!

Simon

Hotels have been booked for over 6 months. We fly into Atlanta on the Thursday, drive to Charleston on Friday, do the sightseeing over the weekend then I've picked out a place near Laurens (on the way to Greenville) to see the eclipse. After that we will wend our way up the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive to Gettysburg, then head to Cape Liberty to pick up the Anthem on the 31st. 2 weeks on the ship then fly home...exhausted!!

Simon

Great itinerary!!

Simon

Enjoy your time in SC. Charleston is beautiful. Laurens will be just 60 miles off the eclipse direct path. We are in Columbia, right in the path. You will likely drive through Columbia to get to Laurens. Blue Ridge Parkway is lovely. Enjoy and have a safe trip.

M

I am just outside of Charlotte, NC so will only be able to see a partial (but still spectacular) eclipse. My daughter will be up in the mountains for school at Western Carolina, they will be in the path for the total eclipse. All afternoon classes were cancelled. I am a little bit jealous.

Enjoy your time in SC. Charleston is beautiful. Laurens will be just 60 miles off the eclipse direct path. We are in Columbia, right in the path. You will likely drive through Columbia to get to Laurens. Blue Ridge Parkway is lovely. Enjoy and have a safe trip.

M

Actually, Laurens is only about 13 miles from the centre line of the eclipse, but we are going to near Ware Shoals which is right under the centre line.

Simon

For those in the path of the eclipse (full or partial) DO NOT LOOK AT THE SUN.... unless you have approved filters. welding glass works and they have some filters in like paper glasses that are good. if you do not have a filter do not look at the sun. Poke a pin hole in a piece of paper and look at the ground to see the eclipse.

We will be in Miami just boarding the Enchantment during the eclipse. My wife mentioned it to me last week, the eclipse should take place between 1:30 4:30 pm Miami time.

Thanks for posting the link.

For those in the path of the eclipse (full or partial) DO NOT LOOK AT THE SUN.... unless you have approved filters. welding glass works and they have some filters in like paper glasses that are good. if you do not have a filter do not look at the sun. Poke a pin hole in a piece of paper and look at the ground to see the eclipse.

You are absolutely correct about not looking directly at the sun during the sun during the partial phases, however, it is completely safe to look at the eclipse during the two plus minutes of totality. Once the entire photosphere is covered by the moon the sight of the solar corona glowing around the black disk of the moon in truly spectacular.

Simon

We plan to be very close to the last point where it crosses land near McClellanville, just north of Charleston. We are an hours drive north and plan to fight the traffic down highway 17 to watch the eclipse. If we were more active we would join the "flotilla" that plans to row out to watch from the coast.

You are absolutely correct about not looking directly at the sun during the sun during the partial phases, however, it is completely safe to look at the eclipse during the two plus minutes of totality. Once the entire photosphere is covered by the moon the sight of the solar corona glowing around the black disk of the moon in truly spectacular.

But you have make sure you are in the COMPLETE TOTALITY, any waver in the slightest could possibly damage your eyes.

We are going to Rabun Gap in N. GA - a prep school there is selling $5 tickets and going to have food and music, and jumbo screens broadcasting NASA's coverage of the eclipse and scientist giving lectures.

Be prepared for CRAZY traffic in the totality line and remember most of these places are SMALL towns so take your patience with you! :)

We plan to be very close to the last point where it crosses land near McClellanville, just north of Charleston. We are an hours drive north and plan to fight the traffic down highway 17 to watch the eclipse. If we were more active we would join the "flotilla" that plans to row out to watch from the coast.
Saw that McClellanville will be last spot where totality crosses land. The flotilla sounds cool.