Princess/Barclay Credit Card

Captain&Commander

I just received an offer for a Princess Barclaycard. I've read all the small print and looked at the Princess Barclay website but can't find any info on how the points earned transfer "towards discounted, reduced and even free cruises." I've also read on CC that people are having a problem receiving the correct amount of points from Barclay..

I'd appreciate input from anyone who has the card.

I just received an offer for a Princess Barclaycard. I've read all the small print and looked at the Princess Barclay website but can't find any info on how the points earned transfer "towards discounted, reduced and even free cruises." I've also read on CC that people are having a problem receiving the correct amount of points from Barclay..

There are many recent threads on this. Searching "Barclays" here is one.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2522575&highlight=barclays

We binned the card!

Edited by Colo Cruiser

This was my primary card until their program changes last November created many problems including receiving & redeeming points.

Reading recent posts they're still having problems so we're now using a card that gives us a yearly 3% cash back on all travel purchases in addition to other purchases.

We have the Barclay's card and we were able to redeem our points for 1.5% towards our cruise fare. It almost paid for one person's whole fare. Basically it's 1 point for everything you put on the card and 2 points for Princess purchases.

Thanks for the responses. I had read the thread on Barclay when it was first posted last week, but didn't know so much additional information was added.

I would hate to have to call them every time to get my points credited properly. :mad:

One of the many reasons we got rid of the card.

I would hate to have to call them every time to get my points credited properly. :mad:

One of the many reasons we got rid of the card.

After many years I also dumped it when it took a month to get our points correctly credited & to redeem them for a chargecard credit.

It's been over 8 months since implementing their new system but problems are still occurring. And my 3% cash back reward is better than I could receive from Barclay.

Hello,

To answer your question directly, it is a fine card if you use it exclusively for Princess purchases, including cruise fare, end of cruise statements and pre and post cruise payments and/or purchases. These purchase points are 2x. Then, you can redeem at 2% (thus netting 4%) if making a $4001+ charge (Princess charge) within 180 days of when you want to redeem. I just did and redeemed 80000 points for a $1600 statement credit.

Yes, since April or so, there has been a quirk in their system to wit the points for such Princess purchases weren't (and still aren't) being doubled. Each of my 4 purchases since April were fixed with a simple email. The last one was fixed in a 12 minute phone call to a very pleasant customer service rep, where she also effortlessly redeemed my desired points for my above mentioned statement credit that appeared on my account in 3 days.

Sure, Right now it's a small inconvenience, but they are working on it. So, simple answer, it does work as they say for a maximum 4% return for a statement credit.

For me 4% works. I recently have received an offer for 5% on travel (different card), but the rules were too long and complex to waste my time.

Hope that helps. Safe Journeys.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I need to redeem points I call the appropriate number at the credit card company and they take care of it for me. In the past, I have redeemed points for OBC and for a credit towards charges on the card this way.

I have not tried to do this since they changed the procedures this year.

I have used the card for 9 years for Princess cruises. Since last year it has been a nightmare and the most recent use will be my last. Last October $500 OBC never appeared on my account. Since then I have used for statement credits and it has been no end of hassle redeeming. Most recent Princess purchase (yesterday) showed points not doubled. Oh goodie, another call to Barclay. After this, I am done. Find another card.

We only use the card to pay Princess cruise fares, and while lately have had to call to get points straightened out, if you are a frequent Princess cruiser, this loyalty card makes some sense. Just as some other brand-associated credit cards, only you can decide if you use the brand enough for the offered rewards to make sense. For us, using the Princess card, the Marriott card and the Southwest card make sense. And we just got an Amex Delta card, (because Southwest doesn't fly where we are going) which means free checked bags for us, plus some bonus mileage points that will get us free flights when the time is right. That card will be cancelled when they assess an annual fee in the future.

I just redeemed points for a statement credit. Very easy. However, as others have noted, I didn't receive double points for my Princess charges. I just emailed them. It's a programming problem that I honestly think shouldn't be that hard to fix.

We've had this card for a couple of years now, and never had any issues redeeming points. In fact you can do it all online, it's very fast and easy! And you don't have to use it exclusively for Princess. We ended up getting free air tickets to Las Vegas as we had more than enough points to credit our statement. However, since many of their changes in November we have only just now booked another cruise. Can't speak to whether the double points issue has been resolved.

I have used the card for 9 years for Princess cruises. Since last year it has been a nightmare and the most recent use will be my last. Last October $500 OBC never appeared on my account. Since then I have used for statement credits and it has been no end of hassle redeeming. Most recent Princess purchase (yesterday) showed points not doubled. Oh goodie, another call to Barclay. After this, I am done. Find another card.

I was wondering does the OBC credit go on your account when you redeem the points ( so can use to purchase shore excursions) or not until you board the ship?

I was wondering does the OBC credit go on your account when you redeem the points ( so can use to purchase shore excursions) or not until you board the ship?

You will see it in the personalizer within a few days.

However, it is not shown under "Onboard credits for this booking." Instead its is shown under "All special services for this booking."

I do not know if it can be used pre-cruise since it is in a different category. Maybe someone else knows.

Until they get the system fixed, I wouldn't recommend this card. On my most recent Princess cruise booking I have no double points posted until I email Barclay's and then call them at least twice. They haven't fixed the problem for months. Not worth the trouble in my opinion, with so many other great rewards cards out there.

However, it is not shown under "Onboard credits for this booking." Instead its is shown under "All special services for this booking."

I do not know if it can be used pre-cruise since it is in a different category. Maybe someone else knows.

Thank you for the information. I think that probably the credit cannot be used for pre-booking shore excursions according to the Princess website. All purchased credits will be available once onboard. I will call to check. We can always use it for something else. We are looking forward to our next cruise in Japan and being on the Golden Princess again [emoji4]

I found the point redemption process to be more trouble than it was worth. Too many problems and confusing and conflicting answers to questions. I use another card and don't have to do more than routinely monitor my purchases and benefits.

Did anybody else sign up for 2X bonus points for every $1 between 4/1/17-6/30/17? It was supposed to be from grocery, home improvement and restaurants. To be awarded 6-8 weeks after program ends. It is getting close.

With all the problems getting double points on Princess purchases, wonder if they will honor this special program.

• 2 months later...
Did anybody else sign up for 2X bonus points for every $1 between 4/1/17-6/30/17? It was supposed to be from grocery, home improvement and restaurants. To be awarded 6-8 weeks after program ends. It is getting close.

With all the problems getting double points on Princess purchases, wonder if they will honor this special program.

I was signed up but never got double points on anything - including Princess purchases. Time to search for a new card.

I do not see "All special services for this booking" in my cruise personalizer?

I just called Barclaycard customer service 866-872-6248 and was told by Kate that answered that my Princess Visa points would show up when I was on the cruise.

Just wondering if she is giving me BS?

On the Princess Visa web-site my 20000 reward points are showing "in-progress".

They were redeemed back on Sept 18th

Howard

All--I, too, have had issues with Princess points not accruing correctly, and not being able to redeem points on Princess.

However, a kind person on CC posted a line that goes directly to a manager at Barclay, and I call them and they are able to rectify the situation on the spot.

The number is 866/928-3106.