Beware of Doors

Mdamato2

Wow, due to the narrowness of the hallways, I would have never thought the builders would even consider having the doors open into the hall. I've been cruising for almost 30 years, I don't think I have ever encountered a door that opened out.

The doors are recessed. They (usually) won't smack anyone who happens to be walking by...

ezBJ2reg2tw

...OP was on Breakaway which is the same as above.

The wind tunnel created when the balcony door is open does make the inside door close especially hard and fast and it would probably be difficult for a child to control. We took our son and his family that included our 2 yr. old grandson on our last cruise and I kept reminding them about the doors.

Did OP ever say both balcony and other door were open at the same time? I never saw that. The real truth is that the doors close automatically and are heavy, even on an inside cabin.

Well, I doubt when the child got hurt it was the first time the door was handled. If the door truly was too heavy the parent should recognize the potential that it might be too heavy for him. They could have told him to wait for an adult to open and close any doors that were this heavy.

And, I think the point is that there are millions of things that can and do cause accidents. Not just to kids either. This forum could be swamped with warning stories of floors, stairs, light bulbs, drawers, hot water in faucets and tubs, hot food, hot drinks, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Best thread ever! I feel your son's pain! Have you ever tried to open these doors balancing two cocktails and and a room key? Or two cups of hot coffee and a plate of croissants as your wonderful wife enjoys the perfect sunset or sunrise? Impossible!

That being said I hope your son is doing well... cheers!

No, it's not a major safety concern. It's minor, at best. It's not like people are dropping left and right. And this wind tunnel effect isn't exclusive to cruise ships. It's not like this happens to all first time cruisers. Give me a break.

Give you a break? Lets just hope that in your perfect world the door does not slip out of your hand because you accidentally forgot to shut the balcony door and breaks your finger, toe or arm while you are on vacation.

I myself have had near misses with the door and I have been on cruise ships for many years.

I am not sure how old you are but for an elderly person or a young person(say 9 years old) who gets surprised by this it could be a serious matter and should be a major safety concern. Getting hit in the head with a swinging door is bad enough but to get hit in the head with a heavy door being slammed shut is a big deal and could cause serious injury.

I cannot think of another place where a wind tunnel would come into play on a vacation.

For something(the door) that is used many times during the day there should be more of a warning about them, whatever that warning may be.

Anywhere you go and in anything you do you will encounter hazards. My condo has an older style elevator with a door that closes on its own without safety features. It slammed on my finger today when I was trying to haul stuff in and out of it.

On a cruise ship in a balcony room - with or without warnings posted - you will notice the wind tunnel effect the first time you open the door with the balcony open. The solution is easy - just make sure the balcony is closed except when you are using the door to go to and from the balcony.

This situation could have just as easily been what happened on our last cruise where the ship was swaying as we were going down the stairs in the theater and someone in our group lost her footing and tumbled on the stairs.

The point is ***** happens. Learn a lesson and move on. For every situation you could foresee enough as an issue to put up a warning there are 10 other situations that could just as easily lead to an injury. The doors weren't wrong, NCL wasn't wrong, OP wasn't wrong and the child wasn't wrong. But the need to cast blame and being mad that you weren't coddled enough instead of simply realizing that things happen and people get hurt is frustrating.

Also beware of stairs, pool decks, hand rails, wet balconies, spilled food in the buffet and of course, hot coffee.

My kids don't like it but I make them wear helmets, knee and elbow pads for the entire cruise.

p.s. If you eat the ice cream too fast you get brain freeze. ;p

What, you don't make 'em wear life preserver's the entire cruise, especially in the pool?;p

I don't know why so many are so critical of the OP...perhaps they don't really want "anything" other than a follow up communication from the line, as to their son's condition, or what they might do in the way of warning about the danger, as they posted...

Some may be implying that the OP may want compensation of some sort...I didn't read anything like that...

Or they just may be giving a heads up to other parent's about the danger's...anything wrong with that?:confused:

What, you don't make 'em wear life preserver's the entire cruise, especially in the pool?;p

I don't know why so many are so critical of the OP...perhaps they don't really want "anything" other than a follow up communication from the line, as to their son's condition, or what they might do in the way of warning about the danger, as they posted...

Some may be implying that the OP may want compensation of some sort...I didn't read anything like that...

Or they just may be giving a heads up to other parent's about the danger's...anything wrong with that?:confused:

I read it differently than you. They are mad at NCL so came here to complain. In no way did I read (even implied) accountability or personal responsibility.

I don't think they were simply giving a heads up. Otherwise OP would have gone into more detail about what happened. I read it as a complaint about NCL customer service that no one followed up to ask if the son was ok or what they would do in terms of warnings for the future.

Again, if you injury yourself in your room; how much follow up is realistic to expect. It sounds like enough was done for Norwegian to determine they weren't at fault - via pictures and an injury report - and to make sure the injured party got adequate medical treatment. It sounds like there are already warnings posted in the dailies reference the balcony door being left open. Why do the owe the injured party any further follow up. If the room steward had offered ice it would have been a nice gesture but that's about it.

I read it as....

...NCL should have doors that defy physics so this never happens again...

...NCL should have a warning label that a closing door can harm someone who gets caught between the door and door frame...

...NCL should do a follow-up medical exam after the initial medical exam...

...Making a complaint (which was never actually explained) deserves a reply from NCL even though NCL isn't at fault...

...Cruise Critic forum members are mean if they don't take my side when my child gets hurt...

I feel bad for the child, but I have to agree that NCL isn't at fault here. I was on a Princess cruise several years ago and as I was walking down three stairs the ship listed and I fell and sprained my ankle. The medical center reported it and Security came to take my statement. Basically, they just wanted me to sign something that said Princess wasn't at fault, which I did because they weren't.

Our steward was wonderful and made sure we had extra ice so I could manage the swelling. Other than our steward, no one ever followed up to see how I was doing. I didn't know I should be upset about that! ;) They actually do have warnings in the dailies (whatever they're called on Princess) about the ship listing. The warnings didn't help me anymore than a warning on a door would stop a nine-year-old who was probably just being a nine-year-old from getting hurt if he wasn't paying attention. Not sure what the OP is looking for -- I agree, it didn't come across as a warning but more of a complaint that NCL didn't treat them well enough.

Also beware of stairs, pool decks, hand rails, wet balconies, spilled food in the buffet and of course, hot coffee.

My kids don't like it but I make them wear helmets, knee and elbow pads for the entire cruise.

p.s. If you eat the ice cream too fast you get brain freeze. ;p

🤣[emoji23][emoji1][emoji6] I love your humour!!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

teaching them not to let the door slam is helpful to those who may be sleeping around you.

This!! And the same goes for being in a regular hotel. I always get stuck in a hallway where a large group with multiple hotel rooms (or cruise cabins) feels like visiting each other all night and slamming each others doors. Very inconsiderate.

Did OP ever say both balcony and other door were open at the same time? I never saw that. The real truth is that the doors close automatically and are heavy, even on an inside cabin.

Seriously...took my 11 year old grandson on a cruise in April. He is VERY slight...more the size of an 8 or 9 year old. Not ONCE did he have any trouble with the door...of course we had a LONG talk about being considerate and not allowing the door to slam so maybe that was the difference. ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Seriously...took my 11 year old grandson on a cruise in April. He is VERY slight...more the size of an 8 or 9 year old. Not ONCE did he have any trouble with the door...of course we had a LONG talk about being considerate and not allowing the door to slam so maybe that was the difference. ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

LOL, and you read him the whole contract too?

Find it hilarious that they deleted my post in this thread just because I said most of the grumpy people complaining to the OP probably had an average age of 83 and havent had any kids the last six decades.

Find it hilarious that they deleted my post in this thread just because I said most of the grumpy people complaining to the OP probably had an average age of 83 and havent had any kids the last six decades.

Posts that resort to personal attacks such as calling people "idiots" will usually get deleted.

LOL, and you read him the whole contract too?

Ha - someone here sure is sensitive - just saw my post was deleted too - and all I said to the OP was to use some common sense.