Are we too old to take transatlantic cruise?

cruisetime25

For a one way flight from Florida be sure to check out your cruise lines air prices. We recently booked one way Ca. to London, prices from Royal Caribbeans air2sea program were under 380.00 for economy . We booked non stop Virgin Atlantic economy plus for 584.00 pp. Happy cruising, and you will find your self to be on the younger side.

Go for it - as long as you are both in reasonably good health, it can be like a stay at a spa. Problem is, you often have to find one way flight-- unless you take a QM2 round trip NY - Southampton, of something like HAL Voyage of Vikings.

I want to take the QM2 from NY and stay in Europe for a week or more and return to NY on a future QM2 cruise .

Our first cruise ,in 1973 ,was on a Cunard ship and it was fantastic.

We cruise from the UK to the Caribbean and back each winter- 28 days, with a total of 18 sea days crossing the Atlantic both ways.

Because of the time away from home, the passenger age is pretty high, with around 9 children on board. Many passengers are in their 80s, 90s, and are unable to fly long distance. We did have someone with a major illness after leaving Madeira once; the captain told us he was increasing speed to 23 knots, and we made it to Barbados in 5 days instead of the 6 from Madeira. The passenger remained in the medical centre and was taken to hospital as soon as we landed.

These cruises from the UK are incredibly popular- this year the ship we're on is returning for a new cruise- almost the same cruise- as soon as we're back, with the addition of some southern USA visits. Other ships from the same line (P&O) do these all-round cruises at different times in autumn and winter.

We love TAs, but we do not love the flight(s) home or over. Since you want to go to Ireland, how about taking Cunard to Southhampton, visit family, and return on Cunard or other line? Alternately, at a different time of year, there is a sailing or two from Florida to UK.

Health-wise, I think the biggest concern is many hours in a plane and the stress of air terminals, etc., rather than the many days at sea.

My husband wants to go on TA which includes Ireland where we have many relatives and friends. He's in his mid 80s and I'm in my mid 70s. Our health is good and we feel happy about that. We've been on about 30 cruises and have never been on a TA. Because I hate the hassle of flying I thought a TA would be perfect but am concerned about being out in the Atlantic for such a long time? What would you do? Should we stick closer to home and stay on the shorter cruises?

Last year my husband celebrated his 85 th birthday on our transatlantic cruise. Six months later I celebrated my 75th birthday on the ship's return transatlantic cruise.

We were not the oldest ones aboard.

I wish someone would do that the other way round. Start from Europe, sail down the East coast of Canada and the US and then sail back to Europe. I'd take that cruise. 42 days on a ship would suit me very well.

Your wishes are granted.

http://www.pocruises.com/j813/?search=true

http://www.fredolsencruises.com/places-we-visit/cruise-holiday/canada-in-the-fall-w1821?referrer=7&isback=1

https://www.cruiseandmaritime.com/cruise/p725/canada-in-the-fall

There are others. P&O once did a 72 night to Alaska from Southampton. That was fun.

My husband wants to go on TA which includes Ireland where we have many relatives and friends. He's in his mid 80s and I'm in my mid 70s. Our health is good and we feel happy about that. We've been on about 30 cruises and have never been on a TA. Because I hate the hassle of flying I thought a TA would be perfect but am concerned about being out in the Atlantic for such a long time? What would you do? Should we stick closer to home and stay on the shorter cruises?

Certainly not. The time to stop going on holiday is when you find you don't enjoy it at all. There will never be a time when you look back and feel glad you didn't go.

My mother is 84 and even since she turned 80 has been to Alaska, Cape Verde, the Grand Canyon, Shetland & Orkney, the Rocky Mountains, Egypt & Israel. She's saving the transatlantic for when she starts to slow down! New York & Niagara Falls next month.

Here's an itinerary you might like. Celebrity Eclipse, next April 15, Miami to Dublin. Family time in Ireland, then on May 10 (or early June), Cunard from Southhampton to Brooklyn. Train or air home to Florida.

Similar but reverse order should be available in the fall.

I might also mention that I have had minor health issues on a transatlantic, and was well taken care of. In fact, having the

health center in "walking distance", rather than car or ambulance, was more reassuring than if I had been at home.

Even in the middle of the Atlantic you will find small island in case of problems. We did an extraordinary emergency stop at the Azores at day 4 of our TA from Southampton to Cape Liberty. A passenger was picked up by the local pilot boat and brought to the hospital.

RXGfMDGMjpY

Azores are not in the middle of the Atlantic. Delightful island to visit, but then you head out for 5-6 days; or the Azores are at the end of a TA cruise.

Stopped there out of Southampton too, but part of the Azores, Portugal, Canary Islands route. Then you cross the Atlantic.

Azores are not in the middle of the Atlantic. Delightful island to visit, but then you head out for 5-6 days; or the Azores are at the end of a TA cruise.

Stopped there out of Southampton too, but part of the Azores, Portugal, Canary Islands route. Then you cross the Atlantic.

Azores are not quite at the middle - however day 4 at a 8 day cruise!

We did depart from Southampton Sunday afternoon, the emergency stop at Wednesday noon (day 4) and arrived into New York Monday morning (Day 8).

Thanks for all the great advice, I'm now planning on making the reservation! I think what was really bothering me was the airplane trip. Because of the suggestion to book a return trip to NY and then get a short flight to Fl, I'm now looking for the return cruise. Needless to say my husband is ready...already...so he doesn't need any convincing. We looked at the QE2 but that's coming back later than we wanted, May 10th. The Navigator Bliss will be returning on April 21st, their maiden voyage, which might work out. You've all had such great ideas and advice, thanks so much. I'll be checking back to see if there are any more suggestions.