No credit card?

Well I would think by now she has or should have the paperwork or at least be able to get into the cruise account on line. If so she can see what has been paid for. They probably should tell the daughter. For those saying your friend shouldn't go they really need to get off their high horses.

I have been in that place and it sucks but it's Not the end of the world. I went through bankruptcy and foreclosure after a divorce and found out my "Dh" hadn't paid a single bill in quite a long time. We were young and I gave him all my earnings and child support. Any ways I survived and I am sure so will they. And if they are going through that tough of a time a paid for cruise is probably a nice thing to have to get away and clear their heads. Plenty of people go through this ( loss of a job, illness) plenty of things can have a person fall behind and use their credit cards thinking they can float on them for a while ...until they start to sink.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

Well I would think by now she has or should have the paperwork or at least be able to get into the cruise account on line. If so she can see what has been paid for. They probably should tell the daughter. For those saying your friend shouldn't go they really need to get off their high horses.

I have been in that place and it sucks but it's Not the end of the world. I went through bankruptcy and foreclosure after a divorce and found out my "Dh" hadn't paid a single bill in quite a long time. We were young and I gave him all my earnings and child support. Any ways I survived and I am sure so will they. And if they are going through that tough of a time a paid for cruise is probably a nice thing to have to get away and clear their heads. Plenty of people go through this ( loss of a job, illness) plenty of things can have a person fall behind and use their credit cards thinking they can float on them for a while ...until they start to sink.

on a cruise?!?!?!?

This couple is in their 70s and are trying to live on social security as only income. Really tough. Despite trying to be frugal they keep falling behind. Don't judge until you have been there. Since they haven't been on a cruise before (and neither has their daughter), they are under the impression that everything is all included in cruise fare including gratuities. I just don't want them to have unexpected problems when they get to the ship. Thanks for the replies. Very helpful.:)

Wow! I can't believe how judgemental the majority of the responses to this thread are! Just some things to think about.....Just because the credit cards are maxed out, doesn't necessarily make the people irresponsible. There is a very good possibility that the cards may have been used for necessities or just to get through a tough time. Just because someone is filing bankruptcy also doesn't necessarily make them irresponsible or undeserving of a vacation. Who knows what their situation may be? This vacation may be a much needed time away from stresses. Why is it assumed that, just because they don't have credit cards that they can use, that they would not tip? That is a pretty harsh assumption. These people have been blessed with a child who loves them and wants them to have this vacation....quit judging them and let them enjoy their vacation...just like you get to.

You are absolute correct rba !

Just a day to day response from people who think they know all and like to judge

I went bankrupt one time because of a bad investment but that still didn't make me a bad person. Stuff happens in life. Don't assume anything people

Sent from my SM-G950W using Forums mobile app

This couple is in their 70s and are trying to live on social security as only income. Really tough. Despite trying to be frugal they keep falling behind. Don't judge until you have been there. Since they haven't been on a cruise before (and neither has their daughter), they are under the impression that everything is all included in cruise fare including gratuities. I just don't want them to have unexpected problems when they get to the ship. Thanks for the replies. Very helpful.:)

As the original poster trying to help a friend you indicated that you had cruised previously. Not sure why you didn't advise them of some important things, such as gratuities, insurance, the need for at least some cash to cover expenses such as drinks. Cruising is not all inclusive and surprised you didn't explain this to your friend.

Now adding more information, such as their age, really hope their daughter has covered them insurance wise. Anyone can get sick, or have an accident, but older people are more likely to need medical services. Medicare does not cover them out of the country.

Sounds like their daughter is not aware of their true financial situation. Not trying to be critical or judge, but I hope they don't have any problems. Traveling, not just cruising, can result in a variety of unexpected problems requiring cash or credit availability. Coming home from a cruise this year I had an airline delay, which resulted in spending a night in Miami. Airline paid for hotel, but I still had unexpected expenses.

If i were in that situation I would come clean and would rather have the funds to pay necessities and bills. I certainly would not want to take a cruise to relax. I would want to fix the problem. But that is just me and my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

They are still going to need some actual cash money. I know. When my brother or sister go on a cruise, it's me who pays for it. I try to make sure they have everything covered in advance, airfare, passports, tips, some OBC, you name it. They have never had a zero balance at the end of the cruise. I think it's unrealistic to expect to board the ship and spend no money.

This is such a simple question to answer. No credit card needed. We don't put a credit card on file and survive a cruise just fine.

Probably should have left out all the extra stuff in the initial post. That really brought out the judgers.

Why is everyone giving their opinions when what the OP asked about was cruising without a credit card? No one cares what you randoms think or would do, all the OP asked was for experiences cruising with a cash account.

Because this is Cruise Critic. The last word says it all. I think Critic was suppose to mean for cruise ships and companies but has turned into something else. :'):')

They will need some cash for gratuities and some spending money. Please check if they have a drink package. And they should try to get some travel insurance. When they do the online checkin setup a cash account.

I am sure you will guide them with that.

And yes life throws monkey wrenches at you. I hope they can enjoy this cruise.

It's nobodies business if they don't tell THEIR daughter.

And OP your question is legit, many still think you have to have a credit card to cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear OP, I am so sorry for all the hurtful comments on Cruise Critic. My hubby is 75 and I am 66, blessed to be able to cruise. I would check with the wonderful daughter on what she has included in the cruise and be upfront. I hope everything works out for you and that your cruise is the best vacation you have ever taken.

They will also need money for tipping porters etc. This cruise makes no sense to me.:*

For starters, why doesn't it make sense? It is a gift. Have you never received a gift? (OK, maybe not a cruise). Porters do not need tips, and it is not required to tip a longshoreman that handles you bag 30 seconds. But that's another story.

They can set up a cash account, on day 1, and on the last day, get the balance they did not spend. They need to budget some items based on what is prepaid or not prepaid. For example, on my last cruise, my final credit card invoice was $22.00. All my tips and drinks were prepaid. The $22.00 was from the gift shop.

If it is not prepaid, than they must figure out those amounts and have enough cash to cover it.

You can absolutely enjoy the stops without spending money. I have often gotten off ships, and just walked around the local town. However, they should budget some money for the ports just in case. Realistically, $25.00 per stop is plenty for many people.

They are still going to need some actual cash money. I know. When my brother or sister go on a cruise, it's me who pays for it. I try to make sure they have everything covered in advance, airfare, passports, tips, some OBC, you name it. They have never had a zero balance at the end of the cruise. I think it's unrealistic to expect to board the ship and spend no money.

You are right. MY last 7 day cruise, my invoice charged to my credit card was $22.38. But if I did not go shopping in the ship's store, I could have walked out with less.

For starters, why doesn't it make sense? It is a gift. Have you never received a gift? (OK, maybe not a cruise). Porters do not need tips, and it is not required to tip a longshoreman that handles you bag 30 seconds. But that's another story.

They can set up a cash account, on day 1, and on the last day, get the balance they did not spend. They need to budget some items based on what is prepaid or not prepaid. For example, on my last cruise, my final credit card invoice was $22.00. All my tips and drinks were prepaid. The $22.00 was from the gift shop.

If it is not prepaid, than they must figure out those amounts and have enough cash to cover it.

You can absolutely enjoy the stops without spending money. I have often gotten off ships, and just walked around the local town. However, they should budget some money for the ports just in case. Realistically, $25.00 per stop is plenty for many people.

It makes no sense to me because in my personal situation we are going back to court for the 6th time to attach wages of a renter that stuck us with $10,000.00 after they claimed bankruptcy. We were advised to rent to them because they would have a clean slate. Yeah, money for everything else but the rent. And the courts drag their feet.

This may not be the OP'S friends situation, but it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Let's just overcharge all our cards, not pay rent, stick the electric co for $3500 and let the tax payers pay for it. BTW, they are now living in a hotel at 3x our rent, go figure.

Sorry for the rant.:halo:

We have cruised since 1999 and has NEVER used a credit card. We prepay for everything prior to the cruise such as gratuity, drink packages, specialty dining, excursions, transfers, OBC. I call and add on-board credits to my account, so when we arrive at the port everything is paid and when we return home there are no bills waiting to be paid from our vacation. We are leaving again at the end of the month and at this point all I have to do is pack our clothes. I use my debit card. If you don't have a credit card purchase a pre-paid visa card and pre-pay all your expenses prior to leaving.