Allure vs Anthem for 3-6 year olds

We are looking to booking a cruise for our family for spring break next year... our boys will be 3, 4, and 6 years old. We don't care about the ports very much... we just want to go somewhere warm for spring break (to escape the Wisconsin winter), and want to enjoy the ship! Does anyone have any experience with Allure and/or Anthem and having any input on which might be better suited for our young, very energetic, very adventurous young kids?

Not sure when your spring break is, but looking at March sailings on Anthem, they only do the Bahamas run. I would not be willing to guarantee that it's going to be really warm in the Bahamas in March, and it almost certainly will not be warm here in NJ at that point.

To be sure of nice, warm weather, I think the Allure is a better choice. But of course, I think that cost is a factor and coming from Wisconsin, you should check air into both locations to see which will be a better deal for you and your family.

If you're flying into either port anyway, I would choose Allure at that time of year. In March/April the NY area could be 70 degrees or 20 degrees! If I was paying for airfare into the port anyway, I wouldn't want to risk cold weather on the first few and last few days.

That being said--your kids probably wouldn't care about the cold weather on Anthem! There is a ton to do inside--including a family indoor pool. My teens spent way more time inside than out on our July Anthem cruise--they actually preferred the indoor pool because it was less crowded and they didn't need sunscreen! But for the adults in the group, I think a warm weather tropical cruise is probably what you want at that time of year! And while I thought the sail away on Anthem was beautiful and really special to see NY like that, it just didn't feel as "vacationy". as our sail aways from Florida.

Agree with Allure as well. We did the Anthem spring break cruise and although it was plenty hot in the Bahamas...the first 1.5 days down and then back were COLD!

Also, with those ages there will be plenty to do on both ships. Have fun planning :)

Not sure when your spring break is, but looking at March sailings on Anthem, they only do the Bahamas run. I would not be willing to guarantee that it's going to be really warm in the Bahamas in March, and it almost certainly will not be warm here in NJ at that point.

To be sure of nice, warm weather, I think the Allure is a better choice. But of course, I think that cost is a factor and coming from Wisconsin, you should check air into both locations to see which will be a better deal for you and your family.

The airfare to Newark from Wisconsin at spring break time is far cheaper than into Florida (about $2,000, if not more, for our family)... that is exactly what led us to this point! :) I know it won't be warm in NJ at that time, but I was hoping it would be warm in Bahamas. This would be my boys' first cruise and I think the cruise ship will play a large part in their enjoyment in the trip. I am 100% positive the Bahamas will be quite a bit warmer than Wisconsin at that time... so at least we'll be able to walk around outside without the air literally hurting our faces! :)

The airfare to Newark from Wisconsin at spring break time is far cheaper than into Florida (about $2,000, if not more, for our family)... that is exactly what led us to this point! :) I know it won't be warm in NJ at that time, but I was hoping it would be warm in Bahamas. This would be my boys' first cruise and I think the cruise ship will play a large part in their enjoyment in the trip. I am 100% positive the Bahamas will be quite a bit warmer than Wisconsin at that time... so at least we'll be able to walk around outside without the air literally hurting our faces! :)

But it will take longer to get to the Bahamas on the Anthem than to the Caribbean on the Allure.

Just something to take into account. The one week Anthem cruise will be a lot more SHIP and less BAHAMAS. The Allure cruise would be much more Caribbean.

Both have lots for kids to do, even if weather is not favorable. Anthem has more "inside" if weather is actually bad, i.e., SeaPlex. Bumper cars, games, etc. And a completely indoor pool for the family.

I think if you and your husband are OK with being inside more than out, and you save a lot of money by going into NJ, you'll have a great time on Anthem. Just also double check cruise price difference--Anthem can be more but maybe not enough to off set airfare difference.

The kids clubs will be very similar on both boats, if your kids want to do that. And there are tons of inside activities, including the indoor pool. There are also lots of areas to see the water--difference from Allure. The Solarium is also well suited to colder weather--if you get a chance to be kid free! Maybe just set your expectations that it might not "feel" tropical until you are basically in the Bahamas but you'll have tons to do on the ship!

I am 100% positive the Bahamas will be quite a bit warmer than Wisconsin at that time... so at least we'll be able to walk around outside without the air literally hurting our faces! :)

From one Wisconsinite to another, I'm with you on the air hurting the face thing! FL is so nice in March and April, I was in NYC in March a few years back during a cold snap and it was brutal. I too am looking at doing either Anthem or Allure for my next cruise, but if I were going in early spring I'd probably choose a FL port, less clothing to pack, no winter coats, you step off the plane into warmth rather than more cold that you're trying to get away from. My HAL cruise in '06 was first week of April and FL weather was warm and perfect. Good luck with your decision!

Another Wisconsinite who would take the Caribbean over the Bahamas. Nothing beats being dropped off at the airport in "summer" clothes, especially with kids. No hats, scarves, snow suits - you are pretty much sailing in sunshine right away. Either ship would be great, but weather wise I would sail from Florida.

Also think young kids would like the carousel and aqua theater show. My grandkids also loved to skate on the Oasis. A lot of young Wisconsin kids like to skate - I don't think the Anthem has ice skating. Also not that familiar with any size/age limitations on Anthem activities, like bumper cars. Rock climbing walls have a minimum age of 6. Given how young your kids are I would checkout age/size limits for things you might be interested in.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

But it will take longer to get to the Bahamas on the Anthem than to the Caribbean on the Allure.

Just something to take into account. The one week Anthem cruise will be a lot more SHIP and less BAHAMAS. The Allure cruise would be much more Caribbean.

Both have lots for kids to do, even if weather is not favorable. Anthem has more "inside" if weather is actually bad, i.e., SeaPlex. Bumper cars, games, etc. And a completely indoor pool for the family.

Is it horrible that we would actually prefer to spend more time on the ship than in port? :o We can keep our little ones more contained on the cruise ship!

From one Wisconsinite to another, I'm with you on the air hurting the face thing! FL is so nice in March and April, I was in NYC in March a few years back during a cold snap and it was brutal. I too am looking at doing either Anthem or Allure for my next cruise, but if I were going in early spring I'd probably choose a FL port, less clothing to pack, no winter coats, you step off the plane into warmth rather than more cold that you're trying to get away from. My HAL cruise in '06 was first week of April and FL weather was warm and perfect. Good luck with your decision!

Very, very good points about needing to pack less... especially since I'll be packing for 5 in 2 suitcases. That point alone may have just been the deal breaker for cruising out of New Jersey!

Is it horrible that we would actually prefer to spend more time on the ship than in port? :o We can keep our little ones more contained on the cruise ship!

Not horrible at all. I just got off the Harmony this past weekend and booked the cruise with the intention to spend most of my time on the ship, which I did with no regrets. I made my choice based on the ship, rather than the itinerary this time. The only port I got off ship was Labadee to lay on the beach. With your 3 little ones I certainly can understand your reasoning!

Another Wisconsinite who would take the Caribbean over the Bahamas. Nothing beats being dropped off at the airport in "summer" clothes, especially with kids. No hats, scarves, snow suits - you are pretty much sailing in sunshine right away. Either ship would be great, but weather wise I would sail from Florida.

Also think young kids would like the carousel and aqua theater show. My grandkids also loved to skate on the Oasis. A lot of young Wisconsin kids like to skate - I don't think the Anthem has ice skating. Also not that familiar with any size/age limitations on Anthem activities, like bumper cars. Rock climbing walls have a minimum age of 6. Given how young your kids are I would checkout age/size limits for things you might be interested in.

Your age restriction comment on Anthem is a very good point. The Seaplex is great but the bumper cars have either a 6 or 8 yr old age requirement, so that will be out. The trapeze school likely has an age requirement. There are foosball tables and ping pong tables that are very busy. The xbox games are also always in use by the teens. Northstar and iFly have age requirements too. The kids will have access to Adventure Ocean if you plan on using the kids club. The indoor family pool will be open and the outdoor areas will be accessible once you get farther south.

I would go Allure since you would start in the warmth and there is more for little ones. Allure has the parades with all the characters, Anthem doesn't. The aqua shows are great as well as the ice show.

Your age restriction comment on Anthem is a very good point. The Seaplex is great but the bumper cars have either a 6 or 8 yr old age requirement, so that will be out. The trapeze school likely has an age requirement. There are foosball tables and ping pong tables that are very busy. The xbox games are also always in use by the teens. Northstar and iFly have age requirements too. The kids will have access to Adventure Ocean if you plan on using the kids club. The indoor family pool will be open and the outdoor areas will be accessible once you get farther south.

I would go Allure since you would start in the warmth and there is more for little ones. Allure has the parades with all the characters, Anthem doesn't. The aqua shows are great as well as the ice show.

Minimum age for iFly is 3. THREE. So all three kids can try that.

You must be at least 42" tall to go up in the North Star.

Anthem has character appearances and small performances.

I would choose Allure from Fort Lauderdale anyday over Anthem from New Jersey. Better weather, bigger ship, more pool space, more variety.

Allure will definitely be in my cruising future. Anthem? Probably not, although we did enjoy trying a new class of ship.

We are looking to booking a cruise for our family for spring break next year... our boys will be 3, 4, and 6 years old. We don't care about the ports very much... we just want to go somewhere warm for spring break (to escape the Wisconsin winter), and want to enjoy the ship! Does anyone have any experience with Allure and/or Anthem and having any input on which might be better suited for our young, very energetic, very adventurous young kids?

Since you say you want to be warm, I'd go with the Florida option (Allure) so you can be warm the entire trip.

We've decided to go with Allure! We are having a heck of a time finding adjoining rooms so my husband and I can stay in one room with our 2 youngest and Grandma can stay in an adjoining room with our oldest.... looks like we might be 'stuck' with interior rooms. But, the bright side is, perhaps we'll be able to 'top' this trip with a future trip with a balcony! (We've done quite a bit of travel with Grandma and know that having adjoining rooms really helps 'make' the experience... but if anyone has other suggestions, please share!)

Thanks for all of your input! It has been absolutely pivotal in our decision making! Love these boards!!!

We've decided to go with Allure! We are having a heck of a time finding adjoining rooms so my husband and I can stay in one room with our 2 youngest and Grandma can stay in an adjoining room with our oldest.... looks like we might be 'stuck' with interior rooms. But, the bright side is, perhaps we'll be able to 'top' this trip with a future trip with a balcony! (We've done quite a bit of travel with Grandma and know that having adjoining rooms really helps 'make' the experience... but if anyone has other suggestions, please share!)

Thanks for all of your input! It has been absolutely pivotal in our decision making! Love these boards!!!

Enjoy your cruise! Notice you are looking for adjoining rooms. Be careful with your terminology. I think you are looking for connecting rooms not adjoining. Connecting rooms have a door inside both cabins - just like in a hotel. That's what we prefer for a family cruise, or a 5-person or family suite. Adjoining rooms just mean they are next door to each other on the ship - they do not connect. Hope that makes sense!