Which Mayan Ruins To Visit?

Fletch1

Hi, we are in Cozumel for the day from 10.00am to 10.00pm. I am interested in people's opinions on which is better to visit.......Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins, Tulum Mayan Ruins or Coba Mayan Ruins?

We will probably do a ship tour,

Since all 3 are on the mainland I would only use a ship's tour.

Coba and Chichen Itza are both farther away but larger and more impressive than Tulum. Tulum is closer, offers a great view of the water, and tours usually involve a stop at a nice beach area.

Your call. :cool:

Hi, we are in Cozumel for the day from 10.00am to 10.00pm. I am interested in people's opinions on which is better to visit.......Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins, Tulum Mayan Ruins or Coba Mayan Ruins?

If offered Coba,that that one. Should have plenty of time there. Chicken It za is a bit too far from Coz. people taking that excursion say you don't get enough time to see anything as the whole trip is mostly travel too and from.

If offered Coba,that that one. Should have plenty of time there. Chicken It za is a bit too far from Coz. people taking that excursion say you don't get enough time to see anything as the whole trip is mostly travel too and from.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T) using Forums mobile app

Chichen Itza would make for a grueling day, and lots of time on the bus. Our favorite ruin is Ek Balam, with a pyramid to climb, quite nearby CI, but the same time restraints hold.

Coba also has a pyramid to climb and may be slightly closer to the island/Playa del Carmen.

Tulum would be the closest of those mentioned. The location is spectacular, the history very interesting, but the ruins themselves, not so impressive as the others mentioned.

You might contact a private transport/tour company like Yucatreks to see if they can get you to your ruin of choice and back with time to board the ship without stress.

Because of the ferry leg, I too would probably advise the cruise excursion if you are risk adverse about being back on the ship on time.

Have a great trip.

I don't think I'd do Chitzen Itza even with a ship sponsered tour. We did it through our all inclusive resort and it was a 15 hour day. Even if the ships tour cut it to 8 hours it would be fast and furious and exhausting in my opinion. I didn't realize how long of a day it would be or we wouldn't have done it but I'm glad we did. Bucket list item marked off

I agree about Chichén Itza. Probably the most impressive of all (it's classified as one of the new wonders of the world), but the distance would make for a brutally long day.

We've done Tulum and we enjoyed it immensely. The ruins aren't as impressive if you have visited other Mayan archaeological sites, but the location, atop a cliff overlooking the ocean makes the trip well worth it. It's just a different experience.

One archeological site which is very easy to visit since it's in the island of Cozumel and which doesn't require a long ferry ride followed by a long bus ride (and back) are the Mayan Ruins of San Gervasio. You can easily do these ruins without an excursion (taxis can taken you there, or you can rent a jeep for the day and drive it yourself). The ruins aren't nearly as impressive as the ones found in the Mexican mainland, but we still enjoyed our day there thoroughly, specially since we were traveling with small children who'd never seen Mayan ruins before (and who would've probably lost their marbles if we'd taken them on the long trip to see the other ruins). They got too see a pyramid (although in a smaller scale) as well as other interesting ruins throughout the site. It's well laid out with easy to follow paths. Just food for thought if the long journey to any of the other sites is a deterrent.

San+Gervasio.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

Can you climb the ruins at Chichen Itza and Coba?

As someone mentioned above, they have gotten more stringent about letting people climb the pyramids. All 3 sites that I've visited have been cordoned off to prevent people from climbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I would only do a Ship's Tour.

I would like to see Tulum again, and spend some time on that beach there. But, since we don't dock until 10:00a.m. I just do not want to get back from an excursion that late. Would consider it if the excursion could be earlier, like from 8:00 to 4:00.

I hear that these longer excursions often do not get back on time.

Just the logistics of traveling that far!

Yes, I would only do a Ship's Tour.

I would like to see Tulum again, and spend some time on that beach there. But, since we don't dock until 10:00a.m. I just do not want to get back from an excursion that late. Would consider it if the excursion could be earlier, like from 8:00 to 4:00.

I hear that these longer excursions often do not get back on time.

Just the logistics of traveling that far!

And that is why we a ship tour is best I think.