Do passengers get turned away for not having a Brazilian visa?

recyclelady

We first did a cruise with stops in Devils Is. and Brazil about 9 years ago. I phoned Princess at the time to ask about visa and was told NO visa required. I suspected otherwise and had that confirmed - we got our visa only 2 days before leaving.

There were some people left behind. For the yellow fever shot Princess had a doctor come to the port. That would be more expensive but the passengers at least were able to get on the ship. No guarantee that would be available every time. At the time there was a Brazilian embassy in Miami that could do a quick visa for an extra cost but it is not open on weekend. Even if someone does that, they have the extra cost of catching up to the ship.

The Brazilian visa was required for all US pax and other citizens.

Not quite correct. British citizens do not require a Visa to visit Brazil for up to 90 days but our passports have to be valid for 6 months.

We also do not require a Visa to visit Argentina for up to 90 days. Again our passports must be valid for 6 months, but we must also be able to offer proof, if requested, of onward travel arrangements

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Corfe Mixture

It has always amazed me at my fellow US citizens that feel they don't need a passport or don't need a visa etc. All cruise ships must meet international and local laws. Brazil says that everyone entering their country and that means in their harbor must have a visa and they dictate the rules to get that visa. Argentina and Chile at one time required an entry fee for US citizens but luckily it was easy to pay it. Now both countries have entered an agreement with the US that their citizens can visit without the fee. There are no exceptions and Princess is required by law to comply. Incidentally Brazilian requirements mirror what the US requires of Brazilians visiting the US.

What amazes me is that countries that wish to attract tourist spending actually discourage tourism be making it difficult, costly and time consuming to obtain a tourist visa. I remember the hassle of obtaining a visa for India and will never visit that country again if I can avoid it. It seemed that Brazil not only charged more for their visa than any other South American country, they even hit us with a fee at their airport when we left the country. IMHO, that doesn't encourage tourists to want to return.

What amazes me is that countries that wish to attract tourist spending actually discourage tourism be making it difficult, costly and time consuming to obtain a tourist visa. I remember the hassle of obtaining a visa for India and will never visit that country again if I can avoid it. It seemed that Brazil not only charged more for their visa than any other South American country, they even hit us with a fee at their airport when we left the country. IMHO, that doesn't encourage tourists to want to return.

And yet, they seem to continue the practice. It doesn't seem to be interfering with people going there.

What amazes me is that countries that wish to attract tourist spending actually discourage tourism be making it difficult, costly and time consuming to obtain ....

What amazes the rest of us is that the citizens of USA don't understand that their Government makes it difficult, costly and time consuming for the rest of us to obtain permission to visit the USA. and that the reason these countries impose these charges on US citizens and not citizens of other countries is nothing more than a 'quid pro quoi'

In other words you reap what you sow!

What amazes the rest of us is that the citizens of USA don't understand that their Government makes it difficult, costly and time consuming for the rest of us to obtain permission to visit the USA. and that the reason these countries impose these charges on US citizens and not citizens of other countries is nothing more than a 'quid pro quoi'

But...but...but... Are you saying the US government has "issues"? How can this be??? Oh, wait. Never mind. :rolleyes:

You are so right, these visas are required because my country (Canada) makes Brazilians get visas to come to my country too. Wish they could work out a deal. I love Brazil!

But...but...but... Are you saying the US government has "issues"? How can this be??? Oh, wait. Never mind. :rolleyes:

:D lol

they even hit us with a fee at their airport when we left the country. IMHO, that doesn't encourage tourists to want to return.

Virtually all countries assess an exit fee. You even pay one when you fly out of the US.

It is rolled into your ticket price so that you are likely unaware, but it is there, nevertheless.

When I was prepping for our trip to South America last year I came across information about flights (Peru, Chile in this case) and fees. It told me that the govt had changed the regs to allow the exit fees to be charged as part of the ticket price and then the airline would remit the fees to the govt. I have to say that it streamlined the processes for departing flights.

The country that makes it the most difficult and time consuming to obtain a tourist visa is the USA.

And the Brazil, China and India fees for visas just match what the USA charges citizens of those countries for a USA visa. USA fees are high, thus so are the reciprocity fees from the other countries.

Citizens of countries other than the USA will usually pay a lower cost for a Brazil visa because those countries charge lower fees for visas for visiting Brazilians.

A few years ago when I needed a visa for Brazil, they had us wait for an hour at the NYC Brazilian Consulate before deciding only World Cup applications would be taken. (Our cruise was a few months afterwards). But that's not the bad part. One of the administrators pulled us aside and told us he would "let" us get ours then if we gave him $500. Yes, I wrote a letter of complaint. No, it was never acknowledged. And yes, the next month we went into the city once again to apply for the visa, this time without an issue. Just wonder if THAT'S the same in the US!

The country that makes it the most difficult and time consuming to obtain a tourist visa is the USA.

Absolutely, It is not just getting a tourist visa, they make difficult and time consuming. They also make it difficult and time consuming to benefit from the Visa Waiver scheme.

As a UK citizen I am required make use of the waiver scheme rather than apply for a Visa and the US DHS proudly reminds us that most applications are approved in a matter of seconds.

BUT

Whereas US citizens visiting the UK merely have to arrive in the UK with a passport, we can only benefit from the Visa Waiver scheme if we apply in advance by visiting the DHS website and pay a fee!

The online application process has six stages and, for example, stage 2 alone, requires us to fill in a minimum 62 pieces of information including full employment history, full bio-details of our parents, and asks us to list our social media memberships including passwords (though it does say this is optional).

Later stages ask for further information, such as our address/ZIP code in the US (how many US citizens visiting the UK know the post code of their intended hotel?)

Finally they ask us to pay.

And remember WE BENEFIT FROM THE VISA WAIVER SCHEME, which is supposed to make things easier, so imagine what it must be like for citizens of countries looked on less favourably than us!

As you say....The country that makes it the most difficult and time consuming to obtain a tourist visa is the USA.

People seem to have some strange misconception that the ship is a sovereign nation and they can simply remain within its borders wherever it goes. Pro tip: When the ship is at the dock, it and everyone on it has already entered the country.

Not always. St Petersburg, Russia is an example. You don't have to have Russian visa if you aren't planning to leave the ship.

Well, many countries have reprocical laws in this regard and if US dropped visa requirements they would do to.

Well I don't know what is in plans, but know for sure that this is how Russia does and Brazil too. This is why for their citizens don't have to get visas enter each other countries. Some of my Russian friends kept their Russian citizenship specifically for this reason so they don't have to buy visa Brazil and some other countries