Calling all Seasoned Cruisers: Irma thoughts?

Size12Stilettos

So, I was due to cruise out on NCL's Escape out of Miami tomorrow, but got the news early in the week that it was being cancelled. Totally bummed. Found a good deal for upcoming cruises and wanted to ask: When is it too soon to cruise after a Category 5 storm? What could I expect? Is it perceived to be disrespectful to flaunt on vacation at a Caribbean destination devastated by a storm? Ports? Excursions? Should I wait until next month? Next year?

Seasoned cruisers, what were you were experinces with past storms? Thoughts to share?

Many of the ports of call will likely be closed for quite some time, so the timing of when you can go and where you can go will not be up to you. Most Caribbean islands rely heavily on tourism, so visiting them when feasible would help them regain an economic foothold. But several islands have been hit very hard and the rebuild may take many months - or years.

But the bigger issue in my mind is the disruption and devastation to the lives of the residents of the islands affected. You may have lost a vacation and can always plan another, but many have lost everything and their lives will take a very long time to recover.

The same storm is about to hit Florida with the same potential for destruction there. IMO it's a matter of perspective, but worrying now about when to reschedule a cruise would be the last concern on my mind.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

It's fine if you want to start thinking about the replacement cruise for your cruise that wasn't meant to be. However, as Mike stated above, many of the ports are devastated. We have family in three Caribbean islands (St. Maarten, Anguilla, and St. Lucia) and two of the three were devastated. You've seen Irma's destruction, and now Hurricane Jose is coming up right behind it to further pummel what is left.

What can you expect? Right now, the streets are either under water or barely passable. The cruise ship piers are barely operational. No power, limited cell service, ravenous looting, debris everywhere, curfews. I wouldn't be thinking about a cruise right now knowing how the locals are suffering, but of course, eventually, things will get back to their "new normal".

When should you book? When should you go? It's your decision. Check your line's cancellation policy, though, just in case things are not up and running as quickly as hoped for.

My family members are safe. For now. Thank You, Lord. :)

How soon to sail out of say Florida is unknown but you should know more in a couple of days.

Some places you could still visit but clearly many itineraries will be revised.

Keep in mind that if you have to fly to Florida that the next week or two flights might be very full.

Keith

So, I was due to cruise out on NCL's Escape out of Miami tomorrow, but got the news early in the week that it was being cancelled. Totally bummed. Found a good deal for upcoming cruises and wanted to ask: When is it too soon to cruise after a Category 5 storm? What could I expect? Is it perceived to be disrespectful to flaunt on vacation at a Caribbean destination devastated by a storm? Ports? Excursions? Should I wait until next month? Next year?

Seasoned cruisers, what were you were experinces with past storms? Thoughts to share?

Totally understand your wanting to plan an upcoming cruise now that yours was cancelled. (I'm expecting the 9/16 cruise we have planned from Miami to be cancelled as well.)

I'm sure you as well as everyone else feels awful for the people and islands of Caribbean that Irma effected so badly and many are still really worried about Irma still needing to pass through Florida.

I think at times like this, it is good to plan something to look forward to.

But the bigger issue in my mind is the disruption and devastation to the lives of the residents of the islands affected. You may have lost a vacation and can always plan another, but many have lost everything and their lives will take a very long time to recover. .

Yes, this was the other issue. Some kind of way it feels wrong going to these islands while they're suffering and not going to help. Before the storms, I struggled when I when to Antiqua. The poverty there was heart breaking. It was hard relaxing and having a good time when you see people are living in tin houses, so I imagine going after a storm like this will be even more difficult. Le sigh.

It's fine if you want to start thinking about the replacement cruise for your cruise that wasn't meant to be. However, as Mike stated above, many of the ports are devastated. We have family in three Caribbean islands (St. Maarten, Anguilla, and St. Lucia) and two of the three were devastated. You've seen Irma's destruction, and now Hurricane Jose is coming up right behind it to further pummel what is left.

What can you expect? Right now, the streets are either under water or barely passable. The cruise ship piers are barely operational. No power, limited cell service, ravenous looting, debris everywhere, curfews. I wouldn't be thinking about a cruise right now knowing how the locals are suffering, but of course, eventually, things will get back to their "new normal".

When should you book? When should you go? It's your decision. Check your line's cancellation policy, though, just in case things are not up and running as quickly as hoped for.

This is extremely helpful. Extremely. Thank you. I didn't even think about looting!!! Some of these ports may not be safe for awhile. When you say check the cancellation policy, what do you mean? NCL is refunding our money plus providing a 50% (of what we paid for) credit to a future cruise. They have a cruise leaving out of Miami next Saturday that hasn't been cancelled yet. Forecasters are now saying Miami (east Florida) may not be hit, but the Western coast may get hit. I had a gut feeling Miami wouldn't get hit. I don't know. Can't explain it.

And youre right... I'm worried about all the wrong things, which in the beginning had me feeling like a spoiled American Brat, ashamed of my own self.

Totally understand your wanting to plan an upcoming cruise now that yours was cancelled. (I'm expecting the 9/16 cruise we have planned from Miami to be cancelled as well.)

I'm sure you as well as everyone else feels awful for the people and islands of Caribbean that Irma effected so badly and many are still really worried about Irma still needing to pass through Florida.

I think at times like this, it is good to plan something to look forward to.

Thank you.

Thank you again for not using this as an opportunity to bask in moral superiority. I truly appreciate your empathy and grace even if its undeserved. And I am so happy your loved ones are OK. Let's pray this storm decides to go out to sea.

We visited Kauai 15 months after Iniki ( cat 4) hit. It was just beginning to return to normal, but some hotels were still closed. It will take time for these islands to repair and get back to normal life.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1993-09-12/features/1993255239_1_sheraton-kauai-hyatt-regency-kauai-poipu

You are right, Keith.

The hurricane has not yet arrrived at Miami, or FLL so how can one begin to guess when they will have ports rready to take cruise ships for embarking, disembarking. They will have critical work to do far more imporant than cruise ships for some period of time...

Forecasters are now saying Miami (east Florida) may not be hit, but the Western coast may get hit. I had a gut feeling Miami wouldn't get hit. I don't know. Can't explain it.

While the track is looking more west of Miami as it travels northward up the coast of FL, the storm is significantly large enough that it is forecasted to have hurricane force winds 75 miles out from the eye. This would have ALL of FL hit, including Miami - maybe not directly - but with significant force to still be potentially devastating. Hope it changes and the predictions are wrong, but I would trust the weather forecasters over my gut feelings.

The other issue is all the residents that have forced evacuations. When they return, they will have to deal with whatever happens to their homes relatives' homes etc . It seems reasonable to think many of them work for cruise related industires and full work force will not be up to speed for a length of time. Hotels may not be ready for lon ggime to acept cruise guests. Fo all who are missing their cruise, I am sorry. However, I am more sorry for all those in the path of this monster storm.

Edited by sail7seas

With Hurricane Jose coming, I would not want to leave next week.

I cruised in December, 2005, after hurricane Wilma hit. The docks in Cozumel were destroyed -- We used tenders to get to Cozumel. Many of the structures were damaged, and many placed in Cozumel used tents. It was actually interesting but sad to see the destruction.

If the Miami / Ft. Lauderdale ports are damaged, I would expect other departure ports to become more active, such as Baltimore, MD, Bayonne, NJ, and Mobile, AL. I remember that the seldom used Bayport terminal in Houston was used for a while in 2008 after Ike damaged the Galveston terminals.

Bottom line: If you are flying, I'd wait until the cruise lines figure out what's next. If you are driving and can be flexible, you might find some good deals, especially if the ship has to change departure ports for a while and previously booked passengers cancel.

The other issue is all the residents that have forced evacuations. When they return, they will have to deal with whatever happens to their homes relatives' homes etc . It seems reasonable to think many of them work for cruise related industires and full work force will not be up to speed for a length of time. Hotels may not be ready for lon ggime to acept cruise guests. For all who are missing their cruise, I am sorry. However, I am more sorry for all those in the path of this monster storm.
And,let's not ignorre the fact there are moer r hurriicanes in line behind this one.:loudcry:

Never mind wondering about how the hurricane will affect future holidays

It would be great if everyone who had enjoyed the carribean on earlier holidays and cruises could show support to the people in these fantastic island communities and each donate at least the price of a day's cruise to the disaster relief funds

It would be great if everyone who had enjoyed the carribean on earlier holidays and cruises could show support to the people in these fantastic island communities and each donate at least the price of a day's cruise to the disaster relief funds

Exactly! We have already donated to Samaritans' Purse that is already on the ground in the Caribbean, esp St. Martens. Give to charities with experience and a high rating of getting the job done.

Here is their link and the Charity Watch rating:

https://www.samaritanspurse.org/article/emergency-supplies-airlifted-to-the-caribbean-irma/

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=4423

With Hurricane Jose coming, I would not want to leave next week.

I cruised in December, 2005, after hurricane Wilma hit. The docks in Cozumel were destroyed -- We used tenders to get to Cozumel. Many of the structures were damaged, and many placed in Cozumel used tents. It was actually interesting but sad to see the destruction.

If the Miami / Ft. Lauderdale ports are damaged, I would expect other departure ports to become more active, such as Baltimore, MD, Bayonne, NJ, and Mobile, AL. I remember that the seldom used Bayport terminal in Houston was used for a while in 2008 after Ike damaged the Galveston terminals.

Bottom line: If you are flying, I'd wait until the cruise lines figure out what's next. If you are driving and can be flexible, you might find some good deals, especially if the ship has to change departure ports for a while and previously booked passengers cancel.

FYI: For Florida, I'm flying, but if I leave out of Baltimore, NJ or NYC, I can drive.

This was helpful, thank you. Yeah, no matter how tempting the deal, it may be best if I just sit still for a few months. I may visit the Western Caribbean or grab a Mediterranean cruise before it gets too cold.

I think my biggest struggle is managing expectations because I just recently got into cruising, so I don't have a lot of experience to go off of to make wise, sound or practical decisions. Naively, I thought hurricanes were a regular occurence, hence the term "hurricane season," and the Caribbean is use to them like California is use to Earthquakes.

I didn't get the whole they don't have the same resources, infrastructure, etc that we (the U.S.) do to repair and rebuild. Which leads me to the thought... am I hurting them further by NOT going once the storm leaves since tourism is their #1 industry feeding their economy?

For example: If people stop going to Barbuda for a year or two, will they get what they need to rebuild?

That's a fantastic idea! I'll follow your lead. I'm willing to match your donation. How much did you donate and who did you donate to?