HAL Gala Attire Evenigs 2

HvySeezFcstr

Just booked a Cruise on the Eurodam and not sure what ... Gala Attire Evenings 2 consist of ?... and if those in the Lido Buffet or other areas of the ship are required to wear Gala Attire Evenings 2 ?

I've heard different pronunciations of the suffix of HAL ships... is "dam" pronounced like Grand Coulee Dam or dom? ...:confused:

Just booked a Cruise on the Eurodam and not sure what ... Gala Attire Evenings 2 consist of ?... and if those in the Lido Buffet or other areas of the ship are required to wear Gala Attire Evenings 2 ?

I've heard different pronunciations of the suffix of HAL ships... is "dam" pronounced like Grand Coulee Dam or dom? ...:confused:

The "2" just means you will have 2 Gala nights during your cruise. :)

The Lido is always Smart Casual. Gala attire now is very easy. Jackets and ties are no longer required for men, just a collared shirt and slacks (and no jeans or shorts).

Most of us pronounce it like the Grand Coulee Dam. :)

The "2" just means you will have 2 Gala nights during your cruise. :)

The Lido is always Smart Casual. Gala attire now is very easy. Jackets and ties are no longer required for men, just a collared shirt and slacks (and no jeans or shorts).

Most of us pronounce it like the Grand Coulee Dam. :)

Isn't the Lido just "casual" - i.e. shorts and tee shirts OK at anytime?

On the Westerdam Sept. 20 Barcelona to Venice. Can anyone tell me how much a glass of house wine costs at dinner? Does it pay to get a beverage package if I only drink 1-2 glasses of house wine at dinner?

Here is the MDR Wine List (by the glass is near the bottom:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Dining-Room-Wine-List.pdf

If you are not consuming at least seven $8-9 per drink beverages each then it is better to buy by the drink/glass.

We have noticed on recent cruises that people pretty much dress the same on Gala nights as they do on smart casual nights.

Men wear slacks with a collared shirt. Ladies wear slacks and tops or skirts with tops or dresses. We saw very, very few men dressed in either tuxedos or suits -- not even in the specialty restaurants.

We were just on the NA Aug 26 sailing to Alaska and saw a few tuxedos but lots of men wearing suits and ties or sports jacket and ties, more than slacks and shirt. We were in open seating (deck 2) and expect there were even more on deck 3 MDR. I don't recall seeing any man in other than jacket and tie in the PG the night we dined there.

On every cruise on HAL we've been on over the last few years, the vast majority of men have worn jackets in the dining room. Many wore ties, some did not. However, very few went with just slacks and a collared shirt. Most men made an effort to dress up a bit on Gala Nights.

No need to dress up for the Lido. Speciality restaurants are what is always Smart Casual. Gala might as well be Smart Casual by the requirements, but you are "allowed" possibly even encouraged to ritz or bling it up on Gala Nights! They are hoping to keep the photographer busy.

I saw no tuxes in Alaska in 2016 (but I wasn't assigned to fashion police). My guys (3 in a group of 6) wore Hawaiian shirts one night and goofy ties the second.

I didn't realize that you can buy a bottle and take it to the dining room and that it will be kept corked for your usage. My husband suggested that buying the 3 bottle package could be a savings for us since I have 1-2 glasses (avg. $7 based on MDR price list) with dinner every night. What do you think?

I didn't realize that you can buy a bottle and take it to the dining room and that it will be kept corked for your usage. My husband suggested that buying the 3 bottle package could be a savings for us since I have 1-2 glasses (avg. $7 based on MDR price list) with dinner every night. What do you think?

If you are 3-star you get a 25% discount on wine packages and 4 and 5-star get 50% discount. That's where the savings really adds up. :)

If you are dining in a specialty restaurant, they can get your wine bottle from the MDR too and vice versa.

Absolutely. And you can buy a bottle in the MDR (or anywhere else pretty much for that matter) and have it saved.

There is usually a small savings if you order the bottle and depending on your preferences, you may find you prefer the bottle choices over the HAL house wine. All subjective, of course :);)

@Marsha, the real advantage to wine packages over by-the-glass is the selection(s) -- those are in Roger's PDF in post #6 above, last but for the by-glass prices. Your costs (US$) would be:

Navigator's

3-bottle 102.35 ~34/bottle

5-bottle 171.35 ~34/bottle

7-bottle 228.85 ~33/bottle

Admiral's

3-bottle 136.85 ~46/bottle

5-bottle 228.85 ~46/bottle

7-bottle 309.35 ~44/bottle

If you're the only one drinking the wine, on a 12-day cruise, according to the MDR "pour" of 1/4 bottle, at 2 glasses per dinner, you would want 6 bottles! But here's a thought if you are going to be in Barcelona a day or more early -- you can bring your own wine aboard -- a bottle per adult "free" but for consumption in your cabin only, and as many bottles as you want paying $15/bottle corkage for drinking anywhere (they put a sticker on the bottles that you pay corkage on). Be sure to carry all wine with you at boarding, not in checked bags. Don't feel awkward having the sommelier open your own wine; you have paid for the privilege!

So if you can buy a wine you like, for $18/bottle or less, you are equal or better than the Navigator's package... I even brought a 6-bottle tote along from home to carry it on board!

s-l400.jpg

I asked this same question recently and felt like it started a class war. ;)

We just got off the Eurodam and on Gala nights saw one man in a tux, most in slacks and dress shirts, maybe with a tie. We also saw some in jeans and t-shirts. Women were mostly in cocktail dresses. We ate in the Tamarind one night, and the MDR on the other.

Honestly, if I were packing again I would take one nice dress and wear it both nights. No one notices what you're wearing except you and whoever you may be traveling with.

@marsha

Addendum: I am apparently caught in a time-warp as the corkage is now $18/bottle for your own wine brought on board (after the one bottle apiece to drink in cabin). DNK if acceptable wine will be had in Barcelona for US$15 or less. Also factor in the hassle of toting your own wine (even in a special bag!) -- Even before making 3-star, we only ever did it for the "free" bottles.

Honestly, if I were packing again I would take one nice dress and wear it both nights. No one notices what you're wearing except you and whoever you may be traveling with.

And in our view, these are the two most important persons on board, so we make sure to dress up for them as much as we can. ;p

Thanks. I agree that good wine can be had at low cost. We love Spanish so bringing some aboard won't be a problem. That makes me wonder, is it just at first boarding that we can bring bottles on, or can we buy some in different ports and get it labeld for corkage, too?