9/23 Harmony of the Seas Itinerary changes

derekana0104

I am not sure how accurate it is to look at those 2 satellite photos Look at the difference in water color in the 2 photos.
They were posted by NASA:

virginislands_oli_2017253.jpg

acquired August 25 - September 10, 2017

acquired August 25, 2017download large image (6 MB, JPEG, 11117x7664)

acquired September 10, 2017download large image (5 MB, JPEG, 11117x7664)

Hurricane Irma churned across the Atlantic Ocean in September 2017, battering several Caribbean islands before moving on to the Florida Keys and the U.S. mainland. As the clouds cleared over places like the Virgin Islands, the destruction became obvious even from space.

These natural-color images, captured by the Operational Land Imager (OLI) on the Landsat 8 satellite, show some of Irma’s effect on the British and U.S. Virgin Islands. The views were acquired on August 25 and September 10, 2017, before and after the storm passed. They are among the few relatively cloud-free satellite images of the area so far.

The most obvious change is the widespread browning of the landscape. There are a number of possible reasons for this. Lush green tropical vegetation can be ripped away by a storm’s strong winds, leaving the satellite with a view of more bare ground. Also, salt spray whipped up by the hurricane can coat and desiccate leaves while they are still on the trees.

Irma passed the northernmost Virgin Islands on the afternoon of September 6. At the time, Irma was a category 5 storm with maximum sustained winds of 185 miles (295 kilometers) per hour. According to news reports, the islands saw “significant devastation.”

virgingorda_oli_2017253_front.jpg

acquired August 25 - September 10, 2017

A close-up of Virgin Gorda gives a better sense of the changes. Note how some of the vegetation on the south and west of the island is a bit greener, likely because it was partly shielded from winds by the hills in the center. Differences in ocean color likely stem from differences in the ocean surface; rougher surfaces scatter more light, and appear brighter and lighter.

barbuda_amo_2017251.jpg

acquired August 21 - September 8, 2017

acquired August 21, 2017download large image (857 KB, JPEG, 1308x1114)

acquired September 8, 2017download large image (691 KB, JPEG, 1308x1114)

The destruction is also clearly visible on Barbuda. This small island in the eastern Caribbean was directly hit by the category-5 storm early on September 6. These images were acquired by the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Terra and Aqua satellites. The left image shows Barbuda on August 21, 2017. The right image shows the ravaged landscape on September 8.

In contrast, vegetation on Antigua appears relatively healthy and intact. With the storm’s center passing to the north, the island sustained less damage. Ground reports noted that by September 7, electricity had been restored to most of the island, and the international airport reopened.

NASA Earth Observatory images by Joshua Stevens, using Landsat data from the U.S. Geological Survey. Story by Kathryn Hansen.

Instrument(s): Landsat 8 - OLITerra - MODISAqua - MODIS

Thanks for the additional photos. I saw some of these earlier on the news sites from NASA. I didn't see any explanation for the water color differences so was not sure if it was color shifting the islands / vegetation somewhat as well.

It seems like St. Thomas and St. Maarten are 2 ports that may have some of the longer roads to recovery. Hopefully they can get them up and running soon (not for our benefit, but for their own economic benefit). I have been to both and so enjoyed visiting them.

Got an email that St Thomas was changed to St Kitts.....

St Thomas and St John was the only reason I booked this cruise over Mediterranean cruise, now it has been taken away from the trip, from the researches I have done, St Kitts is not known for its beaches (I am a huge blue water, white sands beach fan). Now I will be heading over 2 ports (San Juan, St Kitt) that I think is boring and Labadee that I have been there already...

This really disappointed me, I called in and see if we're getting any sort of compensation due to the changes... NO, asked if I can cancel this cruise and book for something else, NO

sigh....

St. Thomas & St. John have been my favorite islands to cruise, but last year we did Southern Caribbean ports & I feel in love with St. Kitts. It's not St. Thomas or St. John, but St. Kitts is beautiful & we enjoyed the island very much! I understand your disappointment, we've had our fair share of ports cancelled on past cruises, but I would take a cruise back to St. Kitts anytime.

One of our all time favorite beach days was in St Kitts at the Shipwreck Beach Club--it's actually down at the far side of the beach from Carambola. It was so quiet--beautiful water and views, hammocks to relax, nice restaurant/bar. Only thing is that the beach has become much smaller because of erosion, so not sure what it would be like now after the hurricane. We liked Shipwreck more than Carambola, but they are an easy walk away on the beach and Carambola had a much deeper beach if I remember correctly so there are 2 nice options there in one cab ride.

Funny enough, we did not like our day on St Thomas. We went to Sapphire Beach and it just wasn't what we wanted--very crowded, time share apartments right there, etc. We may have just had a bad day or need to pick a different beach if we get back there.

Have a great time!

https://shipwreckstkitts.com

I will be interested to see if our St. Thomas port gets switched on the Oct 1 Allure cruise. We originally were going to Nassau, St. Kitts, and St. Thomas. Last month they swapped St. Kitts for San Juan due to Allure propulsion issue. I am not sure where we will be going now if St Thomas is not ready by Oct 1. Maybe Labadee if there is capacity that week.

As others have stated, cruising this time of the year increases the chances of changes to itineraries due to weather. That is part of cruising in the Caribbean. Wherever we go, it will be an enjoyable cruise. Especially on the Oasis class ships where there is so much to do.

I thought I read (and I could be mistaken), that Allure was doing Western through October.:confused:

Got an email that St Thomas was changed to St Kitts...

This really disappointed me, I called in and see if we're getting any sort of compensation due to the changes... NO, asked if I can cancel this cruise and book for something else, NO

sigh....

You have a right to be disappointed.

But not with RCCL but with Irma. Your disappointment does not even begin to compare with how the people who live on the Caribbean Islands feel.

We are not entitled to any compensation. The only compensation I have every received was when we have missed a port and there was not a substituted port. The compensation has been OBC in the amount of the port tax for the island missed.

I am sure you will enjoy the ship and your cruise and St. Kitts. The plus side is now you have an excuse to do another Caribbean cruise so you can visit St. Thomas.

I will be interested to see if our St. Thomas port gets switched on the Oct 1 Allure cruise. We originally were going to Nassau, St. Kitts, and St. Thomas. Last month they swapped St. Kitts for San Juan due to Allure propulsion issue. I am not sure where we will be going now if St Thomas is not ready by Oct 1. Maybe Labadee if there is capacity that week.

As others have stated, cruising this time of the year increases the chances of changes to itineraries due to weather. That is part of cruising in the Caribbean. Wherever we go, it will be an enjoyable cruise. Especially on the Oasis class ships where there is so much to do.

Our October 21st cruise on Harmony already swapped St.Thomas for St.Kitts.

We are sailing on 12/2 we too are scheduled to stop at St. Marteen. I would love to go back 1) because it's so beautiful 2) to help the wonderful people on the island however if RCCL chooses to change our itinerary then so be it. We are on vacation. Life could be so devastating not like those on the islands or in Fl, Tx that lost everything. I and alot of us in this forum are very fortunate to be able to travel. I am just going to enjoy my vacation. I have never been to St. Kitts so this might be a blessing all in one if it gets switched. Either way we will make the best in it. Just remember to make the best of each and every day because you don't know what tomorrow brings. Happy sailing everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are sailing on 12/2 we too are scheduled to stop at St. Marteen. I would love to go back 1) because it's so beautiful 2) to help the wonderful people on the island however if RCCL chooses to change our itinerary then so be it. We are on vacation. Life could be so devastating not like those on the islands or in Fl, Tx that lost everything. I and alot of us in this forum are very fortunate to be able to travel. I am just going to enjoy my vacation. I have never been to St. Kitts so this might be a blessing all in one if it gets switched. Either way we will make the best in it. Just remember to make the best of each and every day because you don't know what tomorrow brings. Happy sailing everyone.

Very well said❤️

Even if you were to get "compensation", you should immediately turn around and donate it to recovering the islands you wanted to go to so much.

I don't think enough people realize how devastated these islands are. This wasn't a normal hurricane. It will take years for some of them to recover. But hey, as long as you get a few hundred dollars in obc who cares.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Amen, Think of the people on the islands you love. It will be a long time before they see tourists... the tourists they depend on for their livelihood. Be thankful you can cruise to anywhere!

St. Thomas was devastated by a major hurricane and right now there is nothing for tourist to do there as they are trying to get their lives back together. Other than going there to help with recovery efforts what else would you want to go there for? And you seriously think that you should be compensated because Royal won't take you there because you don't want to go to St. Kitts??? Wow....Unbelievable!

Our October 21st cruise on Harmony already swapped St.Thomas for St.Kitts.

Really? When I spoke with Royal Caribbean yesterday they said no itinerary changes had been made for any cruises past Sep 30th. Our Oct 1 Allure cruise would be in the next group to be reviewed.

Did you receive an official email from RC stating your port change?

St Kitts is fabulous! I did an island tour with Grey's Island excursion and it was a whole lot fun. I've booked my next cruise because it goes there and then I can get across to Nevis for the day. Enjoy and see it as a positive!

Aussie Cruiser

First off, I live in Orlando and just experienced Irma. I too have an upcoming sailing on Harmony of the Seas and signed up to go because of the stop in St. Thomas. The few days prior to the storm hitting the islands, as well as after, I went on the RCCL website daily to see how they were handling upcoming cruises. They were offering different compensation options for many sailings (look on this board and you will see what others were offered). Needless to say I was shocked when I received the notice that we were just now going to St. Kitts. I have been to St. Kitts and it is not a replacement for St. Thomas. RCCL pays a premium docking fee to go to premium islands, which then translates to higher fares for the passengers. St. Kitts is not a premium island therefore RCCL comes out ahead financially on this one. I have been on 27 cruises, I get that this is hurricaine season and now that I live in Florida, I will never book another cruise during these months. Being stuck on a cruise ship while a hurricane is about to uproot your life is not something I will entertain. In fact, I'm worried that another one is going to form while I am on this upcoming trip and I won't be able to get back before it hits. In addition, I am (fortunately) getting my house repaired etc. after Irma.

I understand these islands are devastated. An option to rebook the same cruise at a different date when the islands are restored would have been a fair option. I resent having to go on this cruise right now not only because of the aftermath of Irma but also because the only island that I signed up for is not available at this time. So, I do agree with the original poster.

I do not relate to all of the "shaming comments" directed at his/her post. A more relatable scenario is If you had a flight that was cancelled or diverted, you would be upset especially if it ruined an itinerary. Flights are not as expensive as cruises and the duration isn't for a week.

At this point this is going to be my last cruise, don't know if I'll ever get to St. Thomas or any other island again. I have been to St. Thomas as well as most of the islands, but I had a specific reason for going to St. Thomas this trip. However, I do know for a fact if I ever cruise again, it will not be on RCCL. Would love to be excited and forget everything and have a good time like so many people have advised, but I have to find someone to repair my roof, a little hard to think about a cruise right now.

First off, I live in Orlando and just experienced Irma. I too have an upcoming sailing on Harmony of the Seas and signed up to go because of the stop in St. Thomas. The few days prior to the storm hitting the islands, as well as after, I went on the RCCL website daily to see how they were handling upcoming cruises. They were offering different compensation options for many sailings (look on this board and you will see what others were offered). Needless to say I was shocked when I received the notice that we were just now going to St. Kitts. I have been to St. Kitts and it is not a replacement for St. Thomas. RCCL pays a premium docking fee to go to premium islands, which then translates to higher fares for the passengers. St. Kitts is not a premium island therefore RCCL comes out ahead financially on this one. I have been on 27 cruises, I get that this is hurricaine season and now that I live in Florida, I will never book another cruise during these months. Being stuck on a cruise ship while a hurricane is about to uproot your life is not something I will entertain. In fact, I'm worried that another one is going to form while I am on this upcoming trip and I won't be able to get back before it hits. In addition, I am (fortunately) getting my house repaired etc. after Irma.

I understand these islands are devastated. An option to rebook the same cruise at a different date when the islands are restored would have been a fair option. I resent having to go on this cruise right now not only because of the aftermath of Irma but also because the only island that I signed up for is not available at this time. So, I do agree with the original poster.

I do not relate to all of the "shaming comments" directed at his/her post. A more relatable scenario is If you had a flight that was cancelled or diverted, you would be upset especially if it ruined an itinerary. Flights are not as expensive as cruises and the duration isn't for a week.

At this point this is going to be my last cruise, don't know if I'll ever get to St. Thomas or any other island again. I have been to St. Thomas as well as most of the islands, but I had a specific reason for going to St. Thomas this trip. However, I do know for a fact if I ever cruise again, it will not be on RCCL. Would love to be excited and forget everything and have a good time like so many people have advised, but I have to find someone to repair my roof, a little hard to think about a cruise right now.

Even without the hurricane the ports could have been substituted as it states in the terms and conditions. Perhaps in the future it would be better to fly to your desired place than cruise. That way you have more control over reaching your destination. Just a suggestion.

Got an email that St Thomas was changed to St Kitts.....

Now I will be heading over 2 ports (San Juan, St Kitt) that I think is boring and Labadee that I have been there already...

sigh....

I know it's really disappointing to lose ports when you're looking forward to them, but before you get too upset note that you could still be reassigned even different ports depending on what TS (soon to be hurricane) Maria does.

For example,St. Kitts is currently under a hurricane watch and this weather statement from PR tonight is disturbing, especially the part about "as serious or more serious than any system that has passed in the last 15 years" :

Area Forecast Discussion...UPDATED

National Weather Service San Juan PR

720 PM AST Sat Sep 16 2017

LONG TERM...Tuesday through Friday...

Almost all weather conditions on Tuesday will begin to be

dominated by the approach of then Hurricane Maria. Showers will

begin to increase over the U.S. Virgin Islands, and on the

windward side of Puerto Rico, (northeast, east and southeast).

Currently the confidence is increasing that Hurricane Maria will

pass near to Saint Croix and over Vieques and over the northeast

half of Puerto Rico. Wednesday and Wednesday night. Hurricane

force winds will likely still be over the local waters northwest

of Puerto Rico on Thursday. Bands from Hurricane Maria will pass

over Puerto Rico on Thursday night and Friday with more rain.

Tropical moisture is expected to follow the hurricane over the

following weekend with more heavy rains.

Impacts from the passage of this system will be as serious or more

serious than any system that has passed in the last 15 years if

the track continues as published by the National Hurricane Center.

This would include life threatening winds, flooding and mudslides

and storm surge on the eastern . Danger from falling trees and

powerlines will begin even before the hurricane force winds and

rain.

As a cruiser I hope she changes course and stays aways from all the ports, and as a FL resident, I hope she changes course and stays away from ME :eek:

Our Allure 9/3 cruise wound up going to Western Caribbean instead of Nassau, St Thomas, San Juan (St Kitts had been cancelled earlier) due to Irma. St Kitts, St Thomas and San Juan are now all in the direct path of Maria. You won't be going to any of them. Wish you were - those folks really need tourism to pay for the recovery. Harmony had something like 1200 passengers aboard last week on their shortened cruise because people couldn't get to the port. Allure had 2058 on the 9/10 (rescheduled to 9/13) shortened cruise and it only went to Nassau. We spent months planning what we were doing and nothing happened as planned - except we spent two weeks on a great ship with a great staff. Technically they don't have to take you anywhere (just refund port charges). Sorry, our sympathy is all for the island folks.

Our Allure 9/3 cruise wound up going to Western Caribbean instead of Nassau, St Thomas, San Juan (St Kitts had been cancelled earlier) due to Irma. St Kitts, St Thomas and San Juan are now all in the direct path of Maria. You won't be going to any of them. Wish you were - those folks really need tourism to pay for the recovery. Harmony had something like 1200 passengers aboard last week on their shortened cruise because people couldn't get to the port. Allure had 2058 on the 9/10 (rescheduled to 9/13) shortened cruise and it only went to Nassau. We spent months planning what we were doing and nothing happened as planned - except we spent two weeks on a great ship with a great staff. Technically they don't have to take you anywhere (just refund port charges). Sorry, our sympathy is all for the island folks.

Im not looking for sympathy i was just commenting that thats probably where well go no one will really know the outcome till Maria goes thru and is done .