Seabourn/ yellow fever vaccination

Philip33

Booked a Seabourn cruise from South Africa to Singapore

No requirement for a yellow fever jab when booking as we have not been nor transited through a country with yellow fever

Notice from Seabourn now saying we need the vaccination or exemption certificate or we will not be allowed on the ship

We are over 60 and our doctor and all authorities say only get the vaccination if absolutely necessary and as we do not visit any country with yellow fever it is not and neither is an exemption required

But Seabourn say they require one to board and if we have to cancel we have to claim the deposit from our travel insurance even though they changed their requirement after we had paid

Anyone had this before and advice would be appreciated

Never had this happen by a cruise line. We got the shot when we were 65, no side effects whatsoever, but other passengers on the ship had the exemption letter from their doctor. The itinerary touched the island of a country with yellow fever in the interior. Nobody ever wanted to see our vaccination record before or after we had been through this country. In the meantime we continued travelling in tropical countries and did not worry any more.

It could well be that Singapore, as a strict by the rules and very organized state, requires proof of vaccination respectively the exemption letter from all passengers on your itinerary. Better speak to your doctor again about the letter.

This has happened to us, a few years ago, with another cruise line. You can be certain that Seabourn is not making this decision because it is something they want. What happens is that one or more of your countries (on the itinerary) is requiring that anyone coming from a certain country or part of the world (also on your itinerary) must have a valid (I think they are good for 10 years) Yellow Fever Vaccination. If you fall into one of the exempt groups then you would need to get that exempt certificate from a medical authority (usually the same folks that can administer the vaccine.

In our case we were visiting a place "Devils Island" and later stopping at Dakar, Senegal. While Devils Island does not have a Yellow Fever issue, the island is owned by French Guiana....who did have a minor Yellow Fever problem (no where even close to Devils Island). But the government of Senegal had adopted a rule which required anyone visiting French Guiana to have a Yellow Fever Vaccination before visiting Senegal.

So you do have a few choices. 1. Simply cancel your cruise. 2. Get the vaccination, or 3. Get an Exemption Certificate. Life is good when one has choices :).

Hank

P.S. The irony of that Senegal situation was that our ship (with over 3000 souls) was not able to tender into Devils Island due to high seas. As a result, all the passengers wasted their time and money getting a vaccination that we did not need. Such is life.

Can you get the exemption letter?

Have you recently checked all the Countries you are visiting to see if their requirements have changed?

A list of Countries requiring YF certificates

https://www.iamat.org/risks/yellow-fever?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsLnLoPCp1gIVBLXACh0LWQkOEAAYAiAAEgIQsvD_BwE

If you are not willing or able to get the shot or exemption form the cancellation would be the next option

JMO

Edited by LHT28

First, Seabourn did not send that notice just to annoy its paying passengers. There is some requirement on this specific itinerary where the governing officials want proof of vaccination or an exemption letter. Just get the exemption letter signed by your doctor.

We have been on a cruise where proof of YF vaccination (or exemption letter) was required before being allowed to board (and those without proof were denied boarding.) It was a cruise that stopped in Rio and continued to various Caribbean island nations. One of the Caribbean nations demanded proof of vaccination because the ship stopped in Brazil. Didn't matter that YF wasn't in Rio, didn't matter that the guest stayed on the ship while in Rio. No waivers, no favors.

There may be some similar set of circumstances governing your itinerary.

Hopefully they even have the vaccine in stock. Earlier this year, we tried for months to get yellow fever through the public health system, not only in PA. but W Virginia. All were out with no idea when they would get a new supply. Plus it is VERY expensive. I'd get the exemption letter from my doctor.

As others have posted, an exemption certificate from your doctor should be sufficient (automatic for anyone aged 60+), but do check this with Seabourn.

A Yellow Fever jab certificate had a 10 year lifetime but now it's good indefinitely, no need for a repeat jab.

Quite ironic about Devil's Island, Hank, I'm guessing you know the background.

The original name of all three island was Devil's Islands because of the number of shipwrecks due to the nasty currents around them. Then when the French colonised the mainland of Guyana the settlers were decimated by Yellow Fever and the survivors sailed across to Devils Islands because it was free from Yellow Fever. In gratitude for their survival they re-named the islands Isles de Salut (Salvation Islands), which is still the name of the island group. They named the smallest of the three Devil's Island, in honour of the original name.

Another useless piece of information from........

JB :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

A yellow fever vaccination is required for my upcoming cruise. When I heard the vaccine was running low, I had the shot done the same day. It was about $150 but insurance paid all but $40. Although I am over 60, I had none of the other contraindications so I got the shot and had no side effects.

For our cruise on HAL you must have either the "International Certificate of Immunization" (the little yellow booklet) or a letter from your health care professional signed, on their letterhead, and explaining the reason why they determined you should not have the vaccination. You also have to have the original letter (no copies) to show when checking in and perhaps at some of your port stops.

In the mailing we received, it mentioned that WHO guidelines can change at any time. Also the countries can change their requirements. It is possible that the requirements changed after you booked.

I would suggest you talk to your doctor, explain the situation, and get the waiver.

Hopefully they even have the vaccine in stock. Earlier this year, we tried for months to get yellow fever through the public health system, not only in PA. but W Virginia. All were out with no idea when they would get a new supply. Plus it is VERY expensive. I'd get the exemption letter from my doctor.

It can be a big problem in the USA. Some hospitals do provide the vaccine in their travel or outpatient clinics...but usually require reservations. For example, we were able to get the vaccine from a Hershey Medical Center Outpatient Center. They had us wait a few weeks until they could get a few other folks...which reduced the cost per person for the vaccine. Once they activate a vial of that vaccine it must be used within a very short period of time (we are talking hours). While I think they still make single dose vials they are generally not cost efficient. So many places will use a 5 dose vial (which reduces the cost per person) which means having all those folks at the center at about the same time. All this is complicated by a shortage of the vaccine (blame those here in the USA who love to sue drug manufacturers).

Here is a link that will help you find a place (in the USA) that has the vaccine:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellow-fever-vaccination-clinics/search

Hank

The proof of vaccination is not necessarily required by countries WITH yellow fever, but also countries who are trying to keep it OUT.

Yellow fever vaccination can be difficult to get because it is a two part, that has to be mixed, then it has to be given withing a certain (short) amount of time.

But if it is required by any stop, it is required. It is not up the cruise line.

Also, while the exemption letter may get you on the cruise, it may not be accepted at the stop. Sometimes the people checking are not knowledgeable or well educated. If they understand the rule to be to have the vaccination, they will ONLY accept proof of the vaccination.

And has been mentioned, it is now good forever, so once you get it, you are good to go. Just make sure you get it documented on an International Certificate of Vaccination. Any other documentation may cause issues (see comment about the people checking).

Heck, one time entering a country requiring the vaccination, the person checking my ICOV held it upside down the entire time they studiously studied it. Oh, and they never opened it to actually SEE the proof of vaccination.

I wonder if I could still find my certificate from 1967 when everyone in my family had to get a yellow fever vaccination, along with many many other vaccinations prior to an expatriate assignment to west Africa. LOL!

I remember that the yellow fever vaccination was by far the most painful. In 1967 in order to find the vaccination we had to travel to an army base outside of Tulsa Oklahoma, where we lived temporarily to prepare for the assignment.

PS, I loved those 3 years! Have had the travel bug ever since!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I still have my shot book from one of Uncle Sam's travel companies - FTA aka Fun, Travel, Adventure aka £\/(|< the Army.

Are poster's here telling me that will suffice for the Yellow Fever requirement?

Here's a page from the UK National Health website which says the 10 year limit no longer applies. But it's full of "in most cases" etc, so to be sure you'd need to dig deeper & preferably via Uncle Sam's health websites.

More importantly, I seriously doubt your shot book will be acceptable for officials world-wide because many won't have even seen a US military shot-book so you'd need to get the details entered onto the standard world-wide YF "International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis". I don't know whether that can be done, so you may have to have another shot.

(barrack-room lawyer and doctor ;))

I wonder if I could still find my certificate from 1967 when everyone in my family had to get a yellow fever vaccination, along with many many other vaccinations prior to an expatriate assignment to west Africa. LOL!

I remember that the yellow fever vaccination was by far the most painful. In 1967 in order to find the vaccination we had to travel to an army base outside of Tulsa Oklahoma, where we lived temporarily to prepare for the assignment.

PhD-iva -- As I read your post, I was wondering if my 1977 yellow fever jab was still good. DH, DD, & I had to get the shot for a business trip/assignment to S. Africa.

We lived in Cleveland, OH at the time & could only get the vac. at the Great Lakes Naval Center clinic there. The vac. was available only 1 Tuesday a month.

I still have my yellow booklet recording that vac. & several others we had to have for the trip (including another smallpox vac.).

SNIP

More importantly, I seriously doubt your shot book will be acceptable for officials world-wide because many won't have even seen a US military shot-book so you'd need to get the details entered onto the standard world-wide YF "International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis". I don't know whether that can be done, so you may have to have another shot.

(barrack-room lawyer and doctor ;))

Gaol lawyer too?;)

Actually it is the yellow international book which also contains later, non-military vax. IIRC the vax were also entered into my military health record. The yellow book allowed for entry into countries in mufti if required.