which two cabins for five adults?

christineispink

Hi! I'm new here so please excuse any "dumb" questions. I'm planning my mom's 60th birthday. We decided on the May 19 Inside Passage sailing on the ms Nieuw Amsterdam. Am currently trying to decide whether to book two Verandah staterooms and connect the balconies or one Signature Suite with an Inside stateroom (me and hubs) across the hall.

The rooming situation is:

Room 1: mom 60F, dad 64M, sister 29F

Room 2: me 32F, husband 34M

My sister is ok with either option. We figured we'd like enough balcony space for the five of us to sit and enjoy coffee and cookies and the view (we don't have to be able to lounge or eat a full meal). I think the main pro to 2 verandahs is that we can enjoy the balcony/view and ppl can still have privacy/downtime in the room (like if my mom were to take a nap in the middle of the day in a signature suite we don't want to be tramping in and out of her cabin to chill on the balcony) (or i'm an early riser so i can sit out on the verandah without waking up the sig suite to get there). OTOH, i'm not sure whether having a little more space in the signature suite is necessary for the 3-ppl to have a more enjoyable trip.

I guess my questions are: will a verandah be TOO small to enjoy for 3 adults (all related)? Which would have more balcony space, 1 signature suite or 2 verandahs combined?

i've been reading past threads and wasn't able to find an answer for how big the signature suite balconies are (i think the verandahs are generally 6x9).

Warning -- if you go for 2 balcony cabins, it is only a small door near the railing that opens up. Each balcony will have only 2 chairs and a tiny cocktail table.

I would post pictures bit Photobucket has shut many of us down from posting pictures to a third party like CC without paying a big yearly price.

Try googling the ship name and cabins you want to look at.

I would also not want 3 people in a regular balcony cabin. When 3 of us went we booked a Signature suite and it was very comfortable. The cabin steward would make the couch into a bed every evening. Much more room than a regular balcony for 3 to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Warning -- if you go for 2 balcony cabins, it is only a small door near the railing that opens up. Each balcony will have only 2 chairs and a tiny cocktail table.

I would post pictures bit Photobucket has shut many of us down from posting pictures to a third party like CC without paying a big yearly price.

Try googling the ship name and cabins you want to look at.

hi - thanks for the response. i've tried googling the ship name and cabins i am interested in and haven't found the information to help me decide. thank you for clarifying it is just the small door that connects the balconies. from the photos i've seen, i wasn't sure if it was that or somehow ALL the white barriers that would come down.

If you can afford it, what about an SS w/ a regular verandah next door (assuming those balconies connect)? We have three adult ladies going next June, and I booked an SS for us as we though a regular verandah would be too small. From what I read, the SS balcony might be kinda tight for five all sitting out there at the same time.

I would also not want 3 people in a regular balcony cabin. When 3 of us went we booked a Signature suite and it was very comfortable. The cabin steward would make the couch into a bed every evening. Much more room than a regular balcony for 3 to share.

thanks for your reply. what would you say regarding the balcony size for 5 people? i don't believe we saw any availability for a signature suite adjacent to a balcony and we're trying to maximize time spent together (like it's great that my parents and my sister would have a roomy balcony in the sig suite, but then it's not like my husband and i will be sitting in our inside cabin twiddling our thumbs :confused:)

thanks for your reply. what would you say regarding the balcony size for 5 people? i don't believe we saw any availability for a signature suite adjacent to a balcony and we're trying to maximize time spent together (like it's great that my parents and my sister would have a roomy balcony in the sig suite, but then it's not like my husband and i will be sitting in our inside cabin twiddling our thumbs :confused:)

I don't think you could get 5 chairs on the balcony even in a Signature suite if that is what you mean. 3 chairs would be comfortable if you take turns standing.

Be careful which Signature suite you choose-we had to do a guarantee only (no choice for our Pacific Coastal) and got one next to glass elevator and the balcony was small-was ok for us because it was just the two of us on that trip.

If you can afford a balcony for you and your husband you could get one close to the Signature suite -I'd pick one on opposite side-that way you could go back and forth if you were at a glacier and as the ship turned go to the other cabin (does that make sense?!). I'm sure you'll be outside a lot too depending on weather.

what would you say regarding the balcony size for 5 people?

The balconies on deck 4 are deeper than most other balconies and would be better - and if you can get 4166 and/or 4168 you are in great shape since they are double wide!

We have had balconies on deck 4 with friends next door (once we had four in a row!) and while the opening is not the whole divider, it was still spacious for many of us to be out there at the same time.

Not an option that you mentioned but I vote for TWO signature suites. Forget about the size of the balcony - once the you see the difference in the bathroom size of the signature suite vs. a regular veranda or inside cabin you'll be glad you booked two signature suites!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi! I'm new here so please excuse any "dumb" questions. I'm planning my mom's 60th birthday. We decided on the May 19 Inside Passage sailing on the ms Nieuw Amsterdam. Am currently trying to decide whether to book two Verandah staterooms and connect the balconies or one Signature Suite with an Inside stateroom (me and hubs) across the hall.

The rooming situation is:

Room 1: mom 60F, dad 64M, sister 29F

Room 2: me 32F, husband 34M

My sister is ok with either option. We figured we'd like enough balcony space for the five of us to sit and enjoy coffee and cookies and the view (we don't have to be able to lounge or eat a full meal). I think the main pro to 2 verandahs is that we can enjoy the balcony/view and ppl can still have privacy/downtime in the room (like if my mom were to take a nap in the middle of the day in a signature suite we don't want to be tramping in and out of her cabin to chill on the balcony) (or i'm an early riser so i can sit out on the verandah without waking up the sig suite to get there). OTOH, i'm not sure whether having a little more space in the signature suite is necessary for the 3-ppl to have a more enjoyable trip.

I guess my questions are: will a verandah be TOO small to enjoy for 3 adults (all related)? Which would have more balcony space, 1 signature suite or 2 verandahs combined?

i've been reading past threads and wasn't able to find an answer for how big the signature suite balconies are (i think the verandahs are generally 6x9).

We did 3 adults inside on large main deck. One thing to consider is the temperature in Alaska in May. We were on 14 day in mid July , early morning Temps chilly. Just a thought,not like a Caribbean Cruise where your balcony is used often .

Terri aka augie's mom

If an issue is having enough bathrooms for your party, remember the spa showers and toilets are always available. Many people with 3rd and 4th guests in a room find this a help. If you think you might want to use them, consider a mid-forward location for convenience to the spa.

And for more balcony space, I would think an aft wrap balcony would be a good consideration for a group., although I"m a bit out of my league here, I've never stayed in one. We've only done 2 Alaska cruises; our first cruise, in an inside, and one with a party of 5 in two adjoining porthole rooms. We used the outside decks all over the ship as well as the lounges inside for big-window viewing, especially during the rain, otherwise known as Alaskan Liquid Sunshine! m--

I've stayed in an aft wrap and have one booked for my next cruise. The balcony is huge and can easily accomodate 5 (or more!) people and there are smaller cabins next door, with balconies. With that said, the aft wraps are Neptune Suites and much more expensive than a SS. BUT if it's balcony you're looking for? Well, there it is..:). It seems ideal to your situation though..

Hi, everyone! Thank you so much for all your comments. We actually went with two large interior cabins and rented/reserved two Lido cabanas. We're hoping to enjoy the loungers and the lunch service on the Lido deck. We're really happy with the choice and excited to use the extra savings to go whale-watching and helicoptering on glaciers!

Hi, everyone! Thank you so much for all your comments. We actually went with two large interior cabins and rented/reserved two Lido cabanas. We're hoping to enjoy the loungers and the lunch service on the Lido deck. We're really happy with the choice and excited to use the extra savings to go whale-watching and helicoptering on glaciers!

Glad you are happy with your choices! Thanks for letting us know what you decided. Taking a helicopter to land on, and then walk on a glacier was my first ever shore excursion, and very impressive! I bought it on the pier in Skagway, not through the ship although the prices were very close, I just didn't want to deal with the non-refundable aspect if the weather was not what i wanted. Happy planning. m--

I would not go with a regular verandah for 3 people either. If possible and in the budget, I'd book a Signature Suite with a regular verandah cabin located next to it. I'm not sure what ship you're on, but this configuration is possible on some ships.

Us 4 sisters are in big trouble as we will all be staying in a reg. verandah on our upcoming 10 day cruise on Koningsdam! No worries though. We did it before and had a ball. It was so like when we were children and shared one bedroom. Besides the one bathroom.... No big deal when we were children there were 6 children and 2 adults that shared a bathroom in our house!