Capital One Venture credit card bragging moment

my kids mama

On the Venture card, do you have to book your travel through a certain agency or are you able to book it anywhere you want?

We have a Hilton Honors card (VISA) and must book travel through a specific agency when using points for cruise certificates.

I've also discovered that the points on our American Express card transfer to our Hilton account at a rate of 1:1.5 (ie, 10 AE points = 15 Hilton points).

Considering swapping the Hilton card out for a different card, as DH (diamond member at HH) cannot use the card for his expenses at the hotel (must use corporate card).

Nope. You book directly with the vendor or wherever as long as it codes as travel and "erase" the charge.

That's odd. My rewards appear as soon as the transaction is posted.

We have a Delta Gold card, Barclay Arrival Plus, and a Sapphire Reserve. All three had great sign up bonuses and just keeping the Arrival when the annual fee comes up. The delta card is our primary card right now as they are giving 7000 points for every $2000 we spend up to 21000 points. We got the offer in the mail. I guess they noticed we stopped using it lol. The Sapphire gave us the best deal as it almost paid for all 4 of our Ireland tickets and gave us free insurance in Ireland which only chase does and free Global entry fee. Delta card did get us $100 off a cruise.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

If you plan on using any of the chase sapphire products in the future it looks they changed to the tc’s to being 24 months before you can bonus another sapphire product (reserve or preferrred). Looks like they are preparing for the slew of cancellations from the 100K churners who have annual fees coming up. Might be worth keeping with the $300 travel credit, multipliers on travel and dining as well

As primary insurance in car rentals and travel/ medical travel insurance

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you spend a lot on travel and dining, the Chase Sapphire Reserve is a must-have

Agreed. If you redeem for travel you get an effective 4.5% return. Use the freedom unlimited for non travel and dining spend, combine points with reserve card and you get effective 2.25% back on those purchases.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Whatever card you use, check for benefits. When people planning a trip to Ireland in conjunction with a cruise, rental cars were cheap but insurance was very high. Read somewhere to check my card benefits. Sure enough, decline rental waiver and they would be primary.

First time in 40 years of rental I had damage (wheel rim scuffs- ever drive in IR). Made claim when I got home, had a check for $433 in less than 2 weeks. Thanks, Costco Citicard. No annual fee and 3% cash back on travel. Also good for travel interruptions, certain trip cancellation, baggage delay, price rewind, etc.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Forums mobile app

On the Venture card, do you have to book your travel through a certain agency or are you able to book it anywhere you want?

We have a Hilton Honors card (VISA) and must book travel through a specific agency when using points for cruise certificates.

I've also discovered that the points on our American Express card transfer to our Hilton account at a rate of 1:1.5 (ie, 10 AE points = 15 Hilton points).

Considering swapping the Hilton card out for a different card, as DH (diamond member at HH) cannot use the card for his expenses at the hotel (must use corporate card).

You can even use it to pay for an Uber if you want.

• 2 weeks later...

Spirit M.C. In the last 5 years my wife and I have flown 3 times a year each, thats 15 times each for a total of 30 non stop round trips using ( DISCOUNT AIR MILES ) that is 10 % of the normal air miles charge. I would bet the O.P. has been saving up miles for the past year for one trip. We charge about 20K a year and get 40K miles for this. When the miles are discounted we use 2,500 P.P. to fly from Chicago to Ft.Lauderdale, for a total of 10K miles per trip. They charge a very small fee, and we pay for 1 bag for a total of $100 round trip.

Capital One is predatory lender charging outrageous rates for their "services." The Venture card should be renamed the vulture card. Their rate of return is just 1.25% LESS $59 per year fee. That fee soaks up $4,720 of purchases. The return is only useful for travel providers that accept the card. What's in my wallet? It ain't Capital One, Chase, AMEX, or B of A. They are stealing your lunch money.

I use the Costco Citibank Visa. While most of the other Citi cards are about the same as other banks, the Costco version is loaded with benefits. The biggest for me is 3% on Dining and Travel. 4% on gas worldwide. 2% at Costco. 1% everywhere else. The card has no annual fee and the benefit is paid in cash. Citi mails you a card every year you can redeem at a Costco for the loot. I am then free to use the cash to buy Satay in Singapore or Elote in Ensenada. I am not restricted to use miles or points for a limited range of travel services. Using Costco Travel (an independent agency) for my suite on the Horizon in April I will receive a Costco Cash Card after the voyage. Total cash back just a tad over 10%. They also have travel insurance, car rental insurance, price protection, priority concert tickets, and other minor services.

I do understand that this is like a tax refund. They are just giving me some of my money back. These discounts are included in the price of the goods and services I buy, however, it is better that I get the cash instead of others keeping it.

Capital One is predatory lender charging outrageous rates for their "services." The Venture card should be renamed the vulture card. Their rate of return is just 1.25% LESS $59 per year fee. That fee soaks up $4,720 of purchases. The return is only useful for travel providers that accept the card. What's in my wallet? It ain't Capital One, Chase, AMEX, or B of A. They are stealing your lunch money.

You’re getting your Capital One Cards confused. Venture Rewards is 2 points per dollar with a $59 annual fee after the first year. Free $400 worth of travel credit for the sign up bonus. Venture One has 1.25 points per dollar and no annual fee.

I have no idea what you’re talking about “travel providers that accept the card”. It’s a VISA Card for Pete’s sake!

Edited by firemanbobswife

I'll plug the Citi Double Cash card here. No fee and effective 2% cash back (1% when you make the purchase, and 1% when you pay the bill).

This is what I've had for the past 2 years. I use it to pay for literally everything so I get 2% back on all the things. :D

You’re getting your Capital One Cards confused. Venture Rewards is 2 points per dollar with a $59 annual fee after the first year. Free $400 worth of travel credit for the sign up bonus. Venture One has 1.25 points per dollar and no annual fee.

I have no idea what you’re talking about “travel providers that accept the card”. It’s a VISA Card for Pete’s sake!

Exactly!

Spirit M.C. In the last 5 years my wife and I have flown 3 times a year each, thats 15 times each for a total of 30 non stop round trips using ( DISCOUNT AIR MILES ) that is 10 % of the normal air miles charge. I would bet the O.P. has been saving up miles for the past year for one trip. We charge about 20K a year and get 40K miles for this. When the miles are discounted we use 2,500 P.P. to fly from Chicago to Ft.Lauderdale, for a total of 10K miles per trip. They charge a very small fee, and we pay for 1 bag for a total of $100 round trip.

Actually, it's only been a few months. We can easily charge 20K a month for our business. We used to write so many checks and then we finally started getting smarter. Since we have 6 months after we paid our final payment to go back, we can most likely pay off the rest of the trip by then. Or most of it at least.

Or we can see if we get a bounce back offer on this cruise and go again in February. Then use our future points to pay for that trip. It's so flexible that way. I don't use my personal card as much as the business one but, it the personal one had enough points to cover most of our deposit. When I made the big final payment last week, I used the business card to pay for it and about 60% of the charge was erased.

By the way this is for 2 cabins in December, one balcony and one interior.