UBP Price Increase to 89$ pp pd?

AlexandNessa

But that's just your opinion, right? You get to express yours, and I get to express mine. Some of us are trying to HELP one another reason out the cost and benefit of the UBP. I appreciated those who brought the fact to my attention that it may not make sense for me to accept the package if I am the only one in my cabin using it.

No, no, no. On here you're only allowed to post if you agree 100% with what a cruise line does. The second you dissent the trolls come out.

But that's just your opinion, right? You get to express yours, and I get to express mine.
That is what a public forum is all about. I love reading other's opinions and sometimes one actually gets some insight from their opinions and/or suggestions.

BTW, not sure it will make sense for me to pick it as a perk again, I'll have to put pen and paper to it and then decide.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I do not understand all of this whining. If you do not like their current pricing, book your vacation using another cruise line. We have exclusively sailed NCL for the last 12+ years. If we get to a point (and we may be there, I don't know yet) where I do not feel that NCL provides the service and value that I require for my vacation dollars, I will not hesitate one second to go on another cabin category, cruise line or vacation type.

For us, it only matters if we are forced to take an extra charge "freebie" on our cruise. I would never choose the $105 per day beverage plan because there's no way I would drink enough to make it worthwhile. But I also don't drink $16.02 per day in alcoholic beverages so the "free" plan would also cost me money. So far, NCL has always provided a way to avoid paying for it.

That's because a better pricing deal doesn't allow you to pick your own cabin. So all things aren't equal.

Are my french fries ready yet?

Hence why it is a better "pricing" deal and not an "overall" deal. Nobody ever said things were equal.

Most changes in a business are made from customer feedback (within reason). NCL and other cruise lines have staff that monitors what is said on CC and other website so you couldn't be any more wrong.

this is such a small change, they aren't going to roll back on it.

you are free to complain, but you aren't going to get anywhere.

this is such a small change, they aren't going to roll back on it.

you are free to complain, but you aren't going to get anywhere.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I only remember one change rolled back and that was food back to the cabin. I think Cruise Critic might have made a very small impact, but I think there were two main reasons why it was rolled back. One was that there was no real way to implement the policy and two, it got national media attention.

If anyone knows about any other changes rolled back, please remind me.

No, no, no. On here you're only allowed to post if you agree 100% with what a cruise line does. The second you dissent the trolls come out.

absolutely not the case. There are many who post here regularly that are negative or sometimes negative about something NCL has or hasn't done.The toll enters the picture when a person seems to always have negatives, with a chip on their shoulder or have posted on a few times. Yep, those are trolls, if the shoes fits wear it, if not don't worry about it.:cool::cool:

absolutely not the case. There are many who post here regularly that are negative or sometimes negative about something ncl has or hasn't done.the toll enters the picture when a person seems to always have negatives, with a chip on their shoulder or have posted on a few times. Yep, those are trolls, if the shoes fits wear it, if not don't worry about it.:cool::cool:

👍👍👍

Your comment saying "if you don't like it book with another cruiseline" is about as helpful as trying to skydive with a small garbage bag instead of a parachute. Next time just skip over the thread...

Thanks for your “helpful” comment.

Actually, if more people would respond to the price increases like I did, it would help. We have cruised NCL at least once every year for about 10 years. I looked at booking my next cruise recently and did not like the prices. So we booked a land vacation instead. I didn’t come to the site to whine about NCL having prices I did not like. I figured NCL can set their prices hoe they wish and I can make my choice where to spend MY money. The whining infers that we are either required or entitled to cruise NCL. We aren’t!

The more people do this, the better. Maybe NCL’s assessment of their pricing model will be adjusted if they have problems filling ships at their current pricing model. If not, then my cruise budget may be what needs adjusted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For us, it only matters if we are forced to take an extra charge "freebie" on our cruise. I would never choose the $105 per day beverage plan because there's no way I would drink enough to make it worthwhile. But I also don't drink $16.02 per day in alcoholic beverages so the "free" plan would also cost me money. So far, NCL has always provided a way to avoid paying for it.

Forced? Did you really say you were Forced to buy UBP?

Hint: pick another bonus if you don’t want to pay the service charge that you knew about before you selected UBP. Or just decline the “Freebies “.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Forced? Did you really say you were Forced to buy UBP?

I think you misread my statement. I have highlighted the pertinent parts for you:

Originally posted byfshagan

Got it?

Next update, prices of all drinks fleet wide raised by 20%. ;p

If the max does go up, it does help justify the change. How much are those chocolate and espresso martinis that people say aren’t covered? Those are some of my favorites....

And ... wait for it ... next will be the Corkage Fee for bringing your own bottle goes up to $20. ;p

absolutely not the case. There are many who post here regularly that are negative or sometimes negative about something NCL has or hasn't done.The toll enters the picture when a person seems to always have negatives, with a chip on their shoulder or have posted on a few times. Yep, those are trolls, if the shoes fits wear it, if not don't worry about it.:cool::cool:
Very well said, Nita!

It's a way to up the gratuities! I thought in Florida where the company is based you can't legaly add tips to a bill! It's in Palm Beach County and isn't it in Dade County? I sent a email to the attorney general of Florida with the question? I paid it on my cruise I just got off of and still cash tied the bartenders but now on my other cruises?

It's a way to up the gratuities! I thought in Florida where the company is based you can't legaly add tips to a bill! It's in Palm Beach County and isn't it in Dade County? I sent a email to the attorney general of Florida with the question? I paid it on my cruise I just got off of and still cash tied the bartenders but now on my other cruises?
The thing you want to go after is the sales taxes in Florida ports. The legislators passed that as part of the 2016 tax compromise bill and the governor signed it law. It was effective last year. It was HB7099.

The company might be based in Florida but the loophole is that the ships are not based/registered/etc in Florida.

I think you may be on to something! IMO, most people don't care because they are looking at it as they are getting free, unlimited drinks; quality isn't important to them.

I have never thought they get a penny of any so-called "gratuity" or service charge increase, BUT many, many cruisers do according to 1000s of CC posts that state something like "they work so hard, I don't mind paying the increase." NCL is very aware of this thinking.

As far as UBP (AKA Open Bar) increase, it will continue because people are paying it. They will continue to raise the per drink price so it appears to be a good value. They will continue to limit brand selection; I don't think they can limit/devalue the wine selection any more. Maybe it's a bit of NCL greed and cruiser unawareness. I believe there will be a resurgence of rum runners in the near future ;)

If I book future NCL cruises, I won't choose the UBP. I'll use the money towards carrying on wine and champagne that I enjoy. I do enjoy a good bourbon or gin occasionally, but either they don't stock what I like or they are charging a ridiculous premium for the ones they do carry. Can I afford it? Yes, but it's the principle of it and I have had enough of all the increases (that affect me) in recent years.

They are out of their flipping minds. What is that? About a 13% increase with no additional return, hint--bottled water?

I do like the NCL product but there is no way in hell I am consuming $105 a day in alcohol.

I will be choosing a different free at sea option if I choose them again for my cruise line. Honestly, I'm sick of this BS. They are overcharging for a product solely to increase the service charge which is allegedly distributed to employees, but I suspect a solid percentage goes to anyone but.

I spoke with a server on the Escape who I wrote an additional tip in for and asked her if she actually gets it. She said in all her years with NCL, her check never changes from her set pay rate despite passengers writing in additional tips on her receipts all the time.

Classy.

I live in the UK and wish i could get our cruises as cheap as the US market , we now have to book an " All Inclusive Rate " which includes one bottle of water per day and we can have coffee ( but only during meal times and not from the Coffee shop ) to give you a scale of the increases for a balcony room for 2 of us we have paid £2668 ($3548) for our cruise in 5 weeks time and we booked prior to the new " all inclusive rates" the new rate would be £4,038 ($5,358 ) not taking into account transatlantic flights and hotels they have priced us out of the Caribbean Market which is a shame because we love sailing from the US , as we cruise 2/3 times a year i am now having to look at the Med :(

My 2 cents:

Nothing is for free.

In regards to the Free at Sea, I agree that paying the 18% gratuity on $89 per day vs $79 per day is not the end of the world. It's $1.80 more per day.

However, in order to "qualify" for Free at Sea, you have to book any category other than the guarantee cabins (IX, OX, BX, MX). It hasn't been that long ago that these were excluded from the promo. I'm not sure if all CCers were aware of that.

That being said, you need to pay more for your cabin in order to have the "privilege" of accessing Free at Sea. All other categories within a metacategory are quite more expensive. I've seen an inside cabin cost $400 more per person vs booking an IX. A $400 difference results in $57.14 per day. Sure, it's cheaper than paying $89 per day (full price of UBP).

Personally, I'd put some thought into this and ask myself: "Will I really rack up a $400 bar bill during the week?" Quite possibly, however my DW hardly has more than one drink or two per day.

Why would I pay more for the cabin, in that case? I'm sure we wouldn't rack up an $800 bill between the two of us. An IX would be fine, in that case.

Come to think about it... the IX would save me $800 + 2x Gratuities of $112.84 = $1024.28

The way I see it is that it's a way to make the "free" UBP look like an even better deal. Simple as that. People who haven't previously sailed NCL won't notice the difference in the service charge.

I have mostly found that other cruise lines that don't offer this "perk" have overall lower cruise fares-- if you drink little or moderately or mostly beer.

I've actually not been on NCL yet, but wanted to see if the package was worth the increased cost of the cruise + the service fees and I have my first NCL cruise at the end of the month. Depending on how much BF and I drink, we may not return to NCL... especially with this increase.

As per comments re: "Find another CL or vacay option"... people have spent a lot of money and years building up their status to get additional perks so it's sh***y if they now feel like they have to leave and subsequently start over with a different loyalty program.

I've mostly crusied Carnival due to them generally having the lowest prices, based on the amount we drink, but the NCL loyalty perks looked appealing so we wanted to get the ball rolling in addition to trying out the UBP. Just not sure the loyalty perks will be worth it if prices continue to increase.

I also find it pretty shady that they advertise these brilliant cruise prices AND the Free at Sea and then *bait and switch* you have to pay $10s to $100s extra for a room to qualify for the UBP in the first place PLUS the service charge.

I'm staying open minded because I already paid for my upcoming NCL cruise but SMH about all the price increases that have been cited on her.