UBP Price Increase to 89$ pp pd?

AlexandNessa

This morning I noticed that they were offering a new promotion offering on board credit. When I priced checked our cabin fare, if was the same cost. So I called and asked to have the on board credit of $140 applied to our cabin. After the NCL employee did some research, he could make the switch for me but my fare would increase by roughly $26 which is the increased cost of the beverage package. He also told me that the new maximum price limit for a drink will be $18 instead of $15.

This morning I noticed that they were offering a new promotion offering on board credit. When I priced checked our cabin fare, if was the same cost. So I called and asked to have the on board credit of $140 applied to our cabin. After the NCL employee did some research, he could make the switch for me but my fare would increase by roughly $26 which is the increased cost of the beverage package. He also told me that the new maximum price limit for a drink will be $18 instead of $15.

If that's true then they haven't updated the website then. It still says $15.

We are going on our first NCL cruise in January and got the UBP as a perk. Because NCL screwed up our reservations our TA got NCL to waive the gratuities too. Now that turns our to be a very nice add on. There is no way my wife or I could ever consume that amount of booze to justify buying the UBP.

Paul

It did rise from the $99 and change to $112 and change pp for the service fee on the beverage package perk. I call NCL yesterday about a reservation for December and in order to upgrade I had to pay an additional $25 and some change to cover the difference in the gratuities now being charged for the beverage package.

Next update, prices of all drinks fleet wide raised by 20%. ;p

If the max does go up, it does help justify the change. How much are those chocolate and espresso martinis that people say aren’t covered? Those are some of my favorites....

next update, prices of all drinks fleet wide raised by 20%. ;p

if the max does go up, it does help justify the change. How much are those chocolate and espresso martinis that people say aren’t covered? Those are some of my favorites....

$17.95.

We are going on our first NCL cruise in January and got the UBP as a perk. Because NCL screwed up our reservations our TA got NCL to waive the gratuities too. Now that turns our to be a very nice add on. There is no way my wife or I could ever consume that amount of booze to justify buying the UBP.

Paul

We booked a suite prior to the gratuity charge implementation. But, had we booked after that change, I probably would have had to really think long and hard about accepting the "free" UBP. DH doesn't drink anything but coffee or water.

With this slight increase, we probably would decline...I just don't drink that much. In fact, I would consider bringing some nice wine and paying the corkage instead.

If things go the way I suspect...

Old UBP promo service charge for 7 day cruise = $99.54

New UBP promo service charge for 7 day cruise = $112.14

Actually, I paid less than the $99.54 service charge the first time it was offered, when I booked in January 2016 for a January 2017 cruise I took. I think I paid total for 2 people $160. But when I book this past January for my January 2018 cruise, I paid the $99.54. If it continues to go up for my future cruises, I will have to decide whether I want to pay more, as we don't drink any more than 3 alcohol drinks per day on a cruise, and it doesn't give you bottled water or coffee as Royal's does.

Actually, I paid less than the $99.54 service charge the first time it was offered, when I booked in January 2016 for a January 2017 cruise I took. I think I paid total for 2 people $160. But when I book this past January for my January 2018 cruise, I paid the $99.54. If it continues to go up for my future cruises, I will have to decide whether I want to pay more, as we don't drink any more than 3 alcohol drinks per day on a cruise, and it doesn't give you bottled water or coffee as Royal's does.[/quote

I have the same dilemma! My husband only drinks a few Pepsi's a day and I drink 2-3 drinks a day on a good day! I just told my daughter that I wasnt sure this so called 'free' promo was worth it for her father and me, when we travel by ourselves. We also sail in the Haven. When the gratuities were waived for suites it didn't matter. Now we may just do a la' carte, as well.

By the way, the only reason we are doing one more trip in the Haven is because we got a discount for being on a trip that was delayed by Irma. The Haven prices are now absurd! This next trip will be our 4th and last time!!!!

So a couple on a cruise would pay roughly $ 1400 for drinks? I get it as a " free" perk but if that stopped I'd do a la cart. That's insane unless they throw in bottled water specialty coffee and no price cap on mixed drinks. Still would be stretching it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does anybody actually buy the UBP? I imagine the vast majority of people who have it got it as a perk.

So for most cruisers, the real news is that there's a $1.80 per day increase.

😂😂😂 someone being realistic. What a pleasant surprise.

I do not understand all of this whining. If you do not like their current pricing, book your vacation using another cruise line. We have exclusively sailed NCL for the last 12+ years. If we get to a point (and we may be there, I don't know yet) where I do not feel that NCL provides the service and value that I require for my vacation dollars, I will not hesitate one second to go on another cabin category, cruise line or vacation type.

Factual information about the price and features of UBP that are found in this blog are extremely helpful (lets hope $18 per drink rumor actually is the new price point). But the incessant comments that NCL is "now" too pricey (as if it wasn't on NCL's previous price increase when you still booked a cruise) just clutters up an otherwise useful thread.

I do not understand all of this whining. If you do not like their current pricing, book your vacation using another cruise line. We have exclusively sailed NCL for the last 12+ years. If we get to a point (and we may be there, I don't know yet) where I do not feel that NCL provides the service and value that I require for my vacation dollars, I will not hesitate one second to go on another cabin category, cruise line or vacation type.

Factual information about the price and features of UBP that are found in this blog are extremely helpful (lets hope $18 per drink rumor actually is the new price point). But the incessant comments that NCL is "now" too pricey (as if it wasn't on NCL's previous price increase when you still booked a cruise) just clutters up an otherwise useful thread.

Your comment saying "if you don't like it book with another cruiseline" is about as helpful as trying to skydive with a small garbage bag instead of a parachute. Next time just skip over the thread...

I agree. if you don't like NCL's prices anymore, shop around. Dwelling on this doesn't do anything b/c you cannot complain your way to getting change from NCL

Your comment saying "if you don't like it book with another cruiseline" is about as helpful as trying to skydive with a small garbage bag instead of a parachute. Next time just skip over the thread...

Using that logic, why aren't you just skipping over the replies that you don't like instead of whining about whether you find them helpful or not??

If one thinks the price of the UBP is too high, don't purchase it. If one thinks the price of the 18% gratuity on the UBP when getting it as a perk, don't pick it as your perk. If you want to get NC's attention and let them know how you feel about them raising the price of the UBP and drinks you can do one of a few things: 1. Don't purchase their drinks onboard the ships. 2. Don't purchase or take the UBP as a perk. 3. Write a letter to corporate with your issues. 4. Voice your opinions on here. 5. Don't sail NCL. What will get their attention....numbers 1 and 5.

I agree. if you don't like NCL's prices anymore, shop around. Dwelling on this doesn't do anything b/c you cannot complain your way to getting change from NCL

Most changes in a business are made from customer feedback (within reason). NCL and other cruise lines have staff that monitors what is said on CC and other website so you couldn't be any more wrong.

If one thinks the price of the UBP is too high, don't purchase it. If one thinks the price of the 18% gratuity on the UBP when getting it as a perk, don't pick it as your perk. If you want to get NC's attention and let them know how you feel about them raising the price of the UBP and drinks you can do one of a few things: 1. Don't purchase their drinks onboard the ships. 2. Don't purchase or take the UBP as a perk. 3. Write a letter to corporate with your issues. 4. Voice your opinions on here. 5. Don't sail NCL. What will get their attention....numbers 1 and 5.

But that's just your opinion, right? You get to express yours, and I get to express mine. Some of us are trying to HELP one another reason out the cost and benefit of the UBP. I appreciated those who brought the fact to my attention that it may not make sense for me to accept the package if I am the only one in my cabin using it.

So a couple on a cruise would pay roughly $ 1400 for drinks? I get it as a " free" perk but if that stopped I'd do a la cart. That's insane unless they throw in bottled water specialty coffee and no price cap on mixed drinks. Still would be stretching it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With the 18% it would be closer to $1,500 but I don't see the beverage package as a "free" perk stopping anytime soon. The reason the beverage package on NCL is almost double the cost of other cruise lines and the reason it includes less is mostly because it's given as a perk. A higher daily cost means higher service fees on that. Just by raising the price from $79 to $89 equals to over $10,000,000 in additional revenue per year for NCL...yes that's $10 million.

A few bucks here a few bucks there and as long you have people justifying NCL or saying "it's just a few dollars" and "if you don't like it then cruise elsewhere" then NCL will keep doing it. Not only does the beverage package not include bottled water but you can't even bring onboard your own. Even if you order water in bulk you're going to pay $2.50-3.00 for a bottle of water that they probably pay $0.20 for. That's a 1,500% markup!

Next thing you know NCL will start charging a port fee of $2 every time you get off the ship at one of the ports and other ridiculous fees. Whatever they can come up with...