Clamshell v Sun Shelter Rental on HMC

luvn2cruzzz

Wondering if someone can give me some clarity on the difference between a clamshell and a sun shelter rental on Half Moon Cay. I am not familiar with the sun shelter having only ever rented a clamshell in the past--the last time being about five years ago. The clamshell back then was very inexpensive and it is now $39.95 with the sun shelter much, much less. Can anyone help, please?! I want to be sure we get what we are wanting. Thanks!

I'm not sure, but the picture I saw of the Sun Shelter makes me think that it is just that--with no loungers like the clamshell has. I could be wrong--but that might account for the price difference.

I'm not sure, but the picture I saw of the Sun Shelter makes me think that it is just that--with no loungers like the clamshell has. I could be wrong--but that might account for the price difference.

There are so many loungers on the beach at HMC, would we be able to just grab a couple and put them in a sunshade?

Thanks for your replies. Hoping someone has actually rented one who can share.

They are very new. I don't know if any HAL ship has been there since they have been introduced. We were there on KDAM on Apr 1, one of the last HAL ships there before they all departed. Didn't see any.

There are so many loungers on the beach at HMC, would we be able to just grab a couple and put them in a sunshade?
I doubt the sunshades are big enough. And the weight may damage the tent floor. See https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=beach+sunshade for examples of what they could be like.

As noted, the place to read/ask is on the Private Islands section of the Ports of Call boards. Since Carnival calls there throughout the summer, there's a good chance that those cruisers will have posted some info over there.

Have not seen anything there, so I posted a new question on that forum. We'll see if we get any replies.

• 2 weeks later...

I called HAL customer service and they sent this helpful picture! Here is what she said:

"Below is a example picture of the sun shelter. It’s foldable and light and easy to use. The chairs in the photo do not come with the shelter. I included a photo of the clamshell as well, just so you can compare. The lounge chairs do come with the clamshell shelter."search?q=Manta+Sun+Shelter&num=50&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiWkOyRvP3WAhUD1CYKHYugCAAQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1400&bih=929

raw?appid=YMailNorrin&ymreqid=d8d6ae4d-f198-ab94-1c42-b1049e018e00&token=zitEzqOML3j84e6ealFTT5U7-km5qEQF52lp7AcCuBYRwEgdQs0LPOx4gIPDx6EVmFHiDqqf46i0glHnQ8QB_KcScGcHtNEXHMIHT38d_f2ldJA8i3vzfiNePJFcLA02

Just wondering why they don't have the usual beach umbrellas instead of the clam shells.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Many, many years ago when we first stopped at HMC, there were a few umbrellas -- not very large.

But as the years passed, first came 4 Cabanas, then the clam shells. Umbrellas didn't last long.

And now the sunshades.

I wish I'd taken a photo of the sun shelter my friend purchased before our Carnival cruise on 8/30 that called at Princess Cays.

It took all 3 of us to get it set up due to the wind, but it was large enough that we could get three loungers in it easily. It had mesh vents all around that let the breeze in.

It was wonderful! :D

The pole pieces were only about 18" long, so it folded up into a nice, small(ish) bag that went easily into a suitcase. Of course, the fact that they drove to port made it reasonable to bring along since no worries about overweight luggage.

But, yes, the one in that photo is about 1/4 the size of the one we used if even that. I'll have a look when I'm there on 11/18 and try to remember to take a photo and report back.