Parking at San Pedro (Los Angeles) port... advice?

ShyannDay

Is there parking if you arrive at 2pm? It looks like there will be two ships in Port on the day of our embarkation. I really don't like crowds so I often wait to board until later.  

If parking will be limited we may just take Uber or Lyft.

Just now, andrek said:

Is there parking if you arrive at 2pm? It looks like there will be two ships in Port on the day of our embarkation. I really don't like crowds so I often wait to board until later.  

Yes there is parking after 2 pm.    I don't think we have ever had a problem parking even when they had 3 ships in port.   You might have to walk a bit farther but they do have buses riding around the parking lot picking up  people.

On 10/11/2017 at 5:59 PM, triple7tahoe said:

And the sad part, they will charge you for 8 days @ $18 per day if you get there early or off the ship late.

Exactly. After you're 1 hour over, they charge for the full day. Is there any alternative besides the park and stay hotel? I hope there is more competition so the price is more reasonable.

3 hours ago, andrek said:

I have had to drive around looking for a space, but I have always found one!

So far (knock on wood) I have always found someone along my route to car pool with and split the parking. Since San Pedro attracts a lot of locals from Los Angeles it's worked for me. I always ask on my roll call and to date I've had 100% success. 

i'm localish, i live near pasadena.  but i've never parked at the pier nor at a hotel.  i usually just take a lyft or the blue line becuase when i calculate the parking and cost of a lyft, it is almost the same. I also typically go down the night before and spend a night in long beach so i don't have to deal with commute traffic on the 110,   but i see you have some mobility impaired travelers, so that won't work for you. 

it might be worth it to just park at the pier.  trying to park off site for a little less and then having to schlep from pier to car sounds like it might not be worth your while or comfort.  i think the real thing you have to consider is post cruise, what is going to be easiest on you and your travel partners.  dropping people off to check in is easy, but dealing with disembarkation after waking up early is a different story.

Edited by vampiress

On 10/11/2017 at 4:38 PM, ShyannDay said:

Hi... I live locally in Los Angeles, but I have no idea of the best way to get to the dock for embarkation. My husband and I are traveling with my elderly Aunt (88 yrs) and Uncle (80). Is there parking there that is close by? What about disembarkation? If anyone here has parked there or if you have any experience at this port, please let me know your recommendation. Thanks so much!

I have parked in San Pedro several times,last time was January 2019. Family lives locally.

Yes the last time there was two of us and we pulled up to the porters dropped off our big suitcases and then proceeded to go around to the parking lot ,parked the car and just brought our hand luggage in with us. Super easy -parking lot has plenty of spaces.

Yes drop off family and checked luggage and go park.

Google or look at a map for directions to the port. 100 Swinford Street, San  Pedro.

On 10/11/2017 at 6:17 PM, ShyannDay said:

Does anyone know if it's a long walk from the drop off point to where we get in line to board?

NO it’s not a long walk from the curb to just inside the terminal. Almost immediately inside you will go up an escalator or elevator to the actual check in area.If you think your relatives will need a wheelchair you can request one that’s usually not a problem at all.