Alaskan Cruise on Mariner

Tridhos

To each his own. Our first Alaska cruise was on NCL and it was OK (hated having to sign a bill for every glass of wine) but i couldn't believe the difference when we took our 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Alaska cruise on Regent. Granted the big ships may "own" Alaska in terms of the space they take up at the piers, but in terms of the access to certain ports and smaller numbers of people on excursions and access to some more remote areas, not to mention the excellent lecturers that prepare you with info on both historical and current information on each port, as well as what you are seeing as the ship cruises along, I pick Regent.

Bottom line, Alaska is awesome. It will take your breath away whether you are on a big ship, small ship or something in between.

I've heard that one or other of the mainstream lines "owns" Alaska, but that is not enough to persuade me to do Alaska on one of them.

I did it on Regent Navigator. A smaller ship than Mariner. I recently did Mariner and loved, loved the ship, so I'd do Alaska again on her in a heartbeat.

We did the inaugural trip in May, SF to Vancouver. I would avoid mid-summer when the ship has kids, but for some that wouldn't matter.

I find the comment odd that most Regent returning pax drink in their cabins. That has not been our experience. In fact, when Regent went truly all-inclusive for liquor, the bars and public spaces became much more social and engaging places to hang out. That's been my experience.

I've heard that one or other of the mainstream lines "owns" Alaska, but that is not enough to persuade me to do Alaska on one of them.

I did it on Regent Navigator. A smaller ship than Mariner. I recently did Mariner and loved, loved the ship, so I'd do Alaska again on her in a heartbeat.

We did the inaugural trip in May, SF to Vancouver. I would avoid mid-summer when the ship has kids, but for some that wouldn't matter.

I find the comment odd that most Regent returning pax drink in their cabins. That has not been our experience. In fact, when Regent went truly all-inclusive for liquor, the bars and public spaces became much more social and engaging places to hang out. That's been my experience.

We sailed to Alaska on the Mariner on the cruise just after your own. I second your remarks 100%.

We had a fabulous cruise.

Wendy, this is a little OT, but we are on the May 6, 2018 SF to Vancouver cruise. Our prior Regent Alaska cruises were late May, early June and late June. What was the downside, if any, to taking the initial cruise of the season in early May. We are from Orange County, CA and love watching the whales start their migration north in April and hope to see them swimming alongside the Mariner on the way to and through Alaska. What are the chances?

It is fascinating reading the comments on taking Regent to Alaska. I appreciate everyone’s experiences! DH and I are on the May 23, 2018 Seward to Vancouver, and I chose Regent (first Regent Cruise) because of the size of Mariner and inclusive pricing. Is it realistic to trust that the “freshening” of Mariner will truly be completed by May? I am a bit concerned...

Pinksunset, I can't make any guarantees on the freshening, Hopefully, it will be since we are on the March 6 cruise. We were on the Mariner for a Caribbean cruise in late March and it looked just fine.

Just a hint on the flight into Anchorage - I'm not sure where you are flying from but we had some amazing views of glaciers for about 30 minutes as we flew into Anchorage.

I have been to Alaska on Business in Anchorage but have always wanted to do the cruise around the natural beauty of Alaska! The brochures and pictures in folk's reviews are so beautiful!!!! But to be honest, I tend to think of vacations as warm sunny experiences. I still have my good coat from my trip to Switzerland in COLD weather. I guess I am a little concerned if the ship decks going to Alaska tend to be cold and miserable? Beautiful to be sure but cold ruins it for these old bones :-)

I have been to Alaska on Business in Anchorage but have always wanted to do the cruise around the natural beauty of Alaska! The brochures and pictures in folk's reviews are so beautiful!!!! But to be honest, I tend to think of vacations as warm sunny experiences. I still have my good coat from my trip to Switzerland in COLD weather. I guess I am a little concerned if the ship decks going to Alaska tend to be cold and miserable? Beautiful to be sure but cold ruins it for these old bones :-)

Really think that you should give Alaska a try -- it isn't quite as cold as you may think. We were in Juneau in May (a few years ago) and it was 80 degrees (had to go to a tourist shop to buy t-shirts because we didn't pack anything for warm weather). We were in Alaska last month and with the exception of Sitka, the weather was beautiful!

I'd happily trade the "cold weather" in Alaska for the hot, buggy weather in the Amazon:halo:

Bet my bones are older than your bones. :) The Mariner has many beautiful sheltered viewing areas complete with hot cocoa and hot toddies, chocolate chip cookies and just about any other thing your heart could desire. Sure, you have to dress warm - think layer/layer/layer, especially if it's windy - but many days the sun warms the deck to a very comfortable temperature and remember that the days are long in Alaska which means far more hours of sun. Some of the views are so spectacular, you'll forget you are cold!

Edited by bigmac1av
additional information

The Alaska climate sounds as varied as Switzerland’s weather! A close friend had to buy t-shirts in Alaska this past May, Travelcat2, as well. We will be flying from Atlanta, not sure what the connection will be there. Thanks for the tip; I will be looking for Anchorage’s glacial beauty from the plane. Spending a few days pre-trip in Anchorage and in Vancouver post-trip. Really looking forward to our trip!

It is a "fools errand" to bet on the weather in Alaska! It can be anything and everything in a week's period.

The Alaskan views are magical; you want to be on deck (or your verandah) as much as possible. Yes, layers and don't forget to provide for fingers and ears for if (when) it gets cold and/or windy. Bring a wool knit cap and real wool gloves - exercise wear could be insufficient.

We've cruised a few times, but a few years ago. We'll taking Regent's Mariner from Tokyo to Vancouver in April 2019. Looking forward since it's been a while. Alaska is really a nice place to see, from land or ship. One thing we havn't done is the Dog thing and will be doing it this time. We don't really care for tours but looking forward to tours this time. Everyone going have a great time I know you will. Rick

We've cruised a few times, but a few years ago. We'll taking Regent's Mariner from Tokyo to Vancouver in April 2019. Looking forward since it's been a while. Alaska is really a nice place to see, from land or ship. One thing we havn't done is the Dog thing and will be doing it this time. We don't really care for tours but looking forward to tours this time. Everyone going have a great time I know you will. Rick

Rick, we did a private visit to one of the Iditarod breeders and trainers in Seward and had a blast. This was at the end of our Regent cruise before we drove to Anchorage to catch our flight. Of course my wife had to sit down and play with six husky puppies on the ground. I'm sure glad we brought a change of clothes with us because I don't think they would have let us on the plane. :D

My wife was born and raised in Alaska and I worked there for several years. We still enjoy Alaska. but wish the diamond sellers would go back to the Saint Thomas. We have cruised Alaska with Regent, Crystal, Celebrity, Princess and along time ago on the cruise ship ferry Star Dancer, on our way to live in Alaska. Our round trip on the Mariner, back to back Vancouver was by far the best. Go early , mid season or late and the weather will be good or rainy, you just take your chances. My only thought about Mariner suites in get one with a shower only. Enjoy your adventure.

Rick, we did a private visit to one of the Iditarod breeders and trainers in Seward and had a blast. This was at the end of our Regent cruise before we drove to Anchorage to catch our flight. Of course my wife had to sit down and play with six husky puppies on the ground. I'm sure glad we brought a change of clothes with us because I don't think they would have let us on the plane. :D

Thanks for the information. Being that we start in Tokyo and end in Vancouver we'll have to take the Regent tour. They have one you pay for--you fly into the area which We'll be taking. I'm thinking it will be one of the highlights of the trip. Rick

The dog tour is the very best. We did the one you have to fly to as well. It was owned by the guy who won the Iditarod several times. I know you will like it a lot.

The other one that we loved was rafting in the Eagle Preserve. We did it on a private basis and loved every minute of it. We dragged the dinghy out halfway and had lunch. It was so peaceful and wonderful.

Everything about Alaska is BIG AND BEAUTIFUL.

Going there in a year again.

It is fascinating reading the comments on taking Regent to Alaska. I appreciate everyone’s experiences! DH and I are on the May 23, 2018 Seward to Vancouver, and I chose Regent (first Regent Cruise) because of the size of Mariner and inclusive pricing. Is it realistic to trust that the “freshening” of Mariner will truly be completed by May? I am a bit concerned...

My husband and I just booked this cruise for my 60 th:D

My husband and I just booked this cruise for my 60 th:D

Debbie, we are celebrating our 20th anniversary and also the year in which we will turn 60 & 70! Great years! Looking forward to a wonderful and celebratory cruise! See you there!

The Dog Sled excursion on Mendehall Glacier was one of the all time best excursions...ever...anywhere. Period. Well worth every dime.

We had that one booked but they cancelled it at the last minute...so we booked the helicopter tour to the glaciers. Was also worth every dime. Fabulous.

We had that one booked but they cancelled it at the last minute...so we booked the helicopter tour to the glaciers. Was also worth every dime. Fabulous.

We id this one also and it really was great, glad we did it. In fact this is a must because you'll never see or spend a day like it. We stopped at the top and had I think an hour to walk around The dog one is something I've always wanted to do--this time we're not going to miss it. Rick

We were on Mariner's first ever cruise to Alaska; she was brand new, and we were hooked! We never cruised another line and became Gold shortly before my husband's death. Every cruise line has Loyalty levels, but Regent's Loyal Cruiser benefits would be far less noticeable because they include so much from the very beginning! There is the SSS reception, no big deal, and the get-together for Gold and up, that's all I can think of.