Santorini - best beaches in Greece?

bigwally

My wife and I were talking with another couple this weekend about maybe doing a Venice - Greek Islands - Rome together in 2019, and the other couple are particularly interested in visiting Santorini because they are of the opinion that it has the best beaches of all the Greek islands.

Now I'm not in any position to say whether or not that's true, but I am prepared to say that if I was choosing an itinerary for just my wife and I from the sailings available in 2018 HA Oosterdam in June would be on my list because I really want to visit Naples (for Pompeii), and it for sure is not stopping in Santorini (Mykonos instead).

So what's the truth of it, and are there any Greek ports with beaches that are superior or equal to the ones on Santorini?

I'm not personally a beach person, but have never heard folks rave much about the beaches in Santorini. Quaint blue and white villages -- yes. Wineries -- yes. Ruins of ancient civilization -- yes. But the island has mostly steep cliffs with just a few beaches, and from what I understand most of them are of volcanic sand (dark).

On the other hand, Mykonos is known for its beaches -- some very touristy, some less so. Rhodes also is supposed to have good beaches.

Again, I'm not a beach person but I'd ask your friends how they came to think Santorini's beaches are "all that"...

Santorini has some stunning scenery but it's way way down on the list of somewhere to visit for best beaches. I would go so far as to say it's one of the Greek Islands I would least choose to visit for a beach holiday.

I did find another good itinerary for 2018 that I would sail - Mykonos, Santorini, and Naples out of Venice on Celebrity Connie, ending in Rome. Sadly, they aren't doing that itinerary in 2019 and instead it's going to be a Venice R/T with more Greek ports. :loudcry:

Edit: And actually Oosterdam going in the other direction stops at Santorini instead of Mykonos. I hadn't thought about starting out in Rome.

Edited by bigwally

Santorini is post card perfect - especially Oia for scenery and little houses with blue roofs - so spectacular it gives me goosebumps just remembering the view. We took the inter town bus for a real cheap $2.00 euros each way to Oia from Santorini bus stop. Got there way before the rest of the cruise ship passengers. As I said, picture perfect - everyone needs to experience this. But in terms of beaches, nah, very cliffy - Red Sand Beach is just ok. Hard to reach gotta traverse a rocky cliff to get there or take a catamaran drinking boat. Nah, for beaches, you gotta go to Mykonos!!!!!!. Beautiful beaches. Rent a scooter or ATV and you can visit many in one day. Alternatively, one year, we went to Super Paradise, if I recall, and it cost us $10 Euros each return on their Super Paradise shuttle.

• 2 months later...

Agreed, Santorini is beautiful but it does not have the best beaches. It does have a nice black sand beach at Kamari. It is extremely touristy and may be very overcrowded depending on how many ships are visiting. Rhodes, Corfu, or Crete would all surpass it. Mykonos also has some good beaches but is also very touristy.

Zakynthos Beach is pictured below.

Naples and area have a lot to offer.

We are beach people and have done more then our share of time on Greek and other European beaches. Santorini's beaches would not even rate on my top 5 list, although we have enjoyed going out to Red Beach (there is a bit of a hike from the parking lot). Kamari is also a beautiful spot, but too commercial and often crowded during the season. There are over 6000 Greek Islands of which something like 200+ are inhabited.

Probably the most interesting beach (in the Greek Islands) we have visited is called "Shipwreck Beach" and is located on the island of Zakynthos (one of the Ionian Islands) which can only be accessed by boat. We sailed into its cove while on a small boat cruise (20 passengers) and our Captain anchored about 100 yards off the coast. We then jumped off the boat and swam into the beach,,,,which lies below a very high cliff. There is actually a view point on the top of the cliff (accessed by an island road) where folks can look down (hundreds of feet) to the beach below.

Even the more popular beaches of Mykonos (such as Paradise and Superparadise) have it all over the Santorini beaches....although some of the Santorini beaches do offer fantastic views. The island of Rhodes also has excellent beaches, especially for those that want a beach with nice sand and facilities. Balos (on Crete) is another stunning beach with really great clean water.

Hank

Hank, Love shipwreck! It’s in my signature, we visited it above and below!

Also love Falasarna, Elafonisi, Itanos on Crete! Plus some on Skiathos and Keffallonia. So many amazing spots!

So true :). When folks limit themselves to cruise ships they also limit (in a big way) the Greek Islands they can visit. Outof over 200 populated islands, cruise ships go to about a dozen...and most cruises only get you to a few of the more popular (and more commercial) islands. We love the Ionian Islands, but one needs to be on a small boat cruise to explore the area.....or be adventurous and use ferries. Santorini has allowed itself to be overrun with cruise ship passengers....which causes lots of problems because of the low capacity of the cable car in Fira. Mykonos has limited docking facilities which does help control the number of crusiers. But when you start talking about places like Keffallonia or perhaps Paxos......these islands are still relatively unspoiled due to the absence of cruise ships. As much as we love to cruise, we do not want to see cruise lines ever ruining these kind of islands.

Hank

We love Greece a lot, and have probably spent over three months on the islands in addition to over two months cruising the Med. I agree, many things are best experienced on a land trip. We will be visiting Northern Greece hopefully in the spring. We love to get a bit off the beaten track. So we are really looking forward to it. We haven’t been to Paxos, so many islands! Trying to do them by groups, but really wanting to get to Chios and Samos too. Santorini and Mykonos are our least favourite because they are so touristy. Probably love Crete the best.

We also really like Hawaii, and feel that those who just visit for a day on a ship miss the best part of the islands.

Hlitner- We will be going on a cruise with a stop in Mykonos in early October 2018. We are beach people and I love to walk and collect shells. Would the beaches you mentioned, Paradise and Superparadise be good for this or are they more about sunbathing and water sports? I prefer a quiet not touristy beach day. Thanks.

Hlitner- We will be going on a cruise with a stop in Mykonos in early October 2018. We are beach people and I love to walk and collect shells. Would the beaches you mentioned, Paradise and Superparadise be good for this or are they more about sunbathing and water sports? I prefer a quiet not touristy beach day. Thanks.

I do not recall a lot of shells on Mykonos beaches. These beaches are known for their good sand, clean clear water, and decent swimming conditions. But to be honest, DW and I do not normally go looking for shells.

Hank

• 1 month later...