Entertainment on Seaside

stournillon

What exactly does not sound family friendly in those shows? :confused:

Many of the shows I've read about on MSC about been Opera related, which will be painful for my 11 year old, and frankly for my husband.

Looking to see what other options are for an 11 year old. (we can only go bowling so many times!!)

Many of the shows I've read about on MSC about been Opera related, which will be painful for my 11 year old, and frankly for my husband.

Looking to see what other options are for an 11 year old. (we can only go bowling so many times!!)

Here is what is planned for the Seaside http://ctbobcruisesite.com/SeasideShows.html

Admittedly Madama Butterfly is based on the Opera and My Life in Music may be more classical than you would like but the others look like fun. I'll be sure to write a review of these shows when I return from my B2B in January. Bob

On the Divina, they had one opera show, and that was a special in the afternoon. My first taste of opera, and I did walk out about half way through. Not my cup of tea. If that's what they have on the Seaside, then I'll simply not go, and go to the other venues on the ship, but I will be disappointed.

On the Divina, they had one opera show, and that was a special in the afternoon. My first taste of opera, and I did walk out about half way through. Not my cup of tea. If that's what they have on the Seaside, then I'll simply not go, and go to the other venues on the ship, but I will be disappointed.
I loved the intro to opera on the Divina but admit that it's not for everyone and probably not for most younger kids. I think MSC is taking a chance with this show and will probably replace it with a different show if the reviews aren't good. Bob

That is the information I was given and if these shows are similar to the Divina shows I'll be very happy. However I heard that there will not be a Michael Jackson show which was one of my favorites. If you check my website in my signature I have a link to full descriptions of all the shows that are planned. Follow the link to my Seaside cruise and click on Entertainment. Bob

Bob, you mistakenly put our photo with the Jan 6 Seaside folks. We are booked on the Jan 13 cruise.

---Dan and Marilyn Bahr

I loved the intro to opera on the Divina but admit that it's not for everyone and probably not for most younger kids. I think MSC is taking a chance with this show and will probably replace it with a different show if the reviews aren't good. Bob

I think the programs are great! We've been on The QE2 and the QM2, and I was now resigned to only mainstream entertainment on Seaside as there was on Holland America, so this will be lovely. Our cruise is 12/22/18, so I hope they still have programs of this caliber! Do they have classical music - violinists, etc. on MSC ships?

Do they have classical music - violinists, etc. on MSC ships?

Yes, usually in the atrium, where violinists accompany a piano player, and especially on 'Elegance' (Gala/Formal) nights. There's a great buzz on the formal nights (on Med cruises, anyway) on decks 5, 6 & 7 as people gather in the atrium area of each deck to enjoy the music, with a free cocktail in hand, as they wait to go to dinner. (Crew go around the bars/lounges with trays of free cocktails/sparkling wine/juice on Captain's night).

Bob, you mistakenly put our photo with the Jan 6 Seaside folks. We are booked on the Jan 13 cruise.

---Dan and Marilyn Bahr

Thanks, I would have been looking for you too soon! When you arrive I'll tell you which shows are the best! Bob

Yes, usually in the atrium, where violinists accompany a piano player, and especially on 'Elegance' (Gala/Formal) nights. There's a great buzz on the formal nights (on Med cruises, anyway) on decks 5, 6 & 7 as people gather in the atrium area of each deck to enjoy the music, with a free cocktail in hand, as they wait to go to dinner. (Crew go around the bars/lounges with trays of free cocktails/sparkling wine/juice on Captain's night).

Just to clarify: the free drinks are only offered pre-dinner - not for the whole night, LOL!

Opera, classical music, violins, Gala/Formal nights, 2 hour dinners....have I booked the wrong cruise for an 11 year old?? I'm worried. My kid loves Taylor Swift, YouTube prank videos, swimming and eating plain noodles with butter.
Unfortunately we won't know until there are live reports. However when my son was young he spent all his time with kids from the kids club and didn't attend any of the night shows. I won't have any kids with me on my January 6th - 20th B2B but I will be sure to ask those who do have children with them what they think about the kids program. Bob

I love that cruising allows for all of these fantastic opportunities to open the world to everyone, including children! New foods, cultures, music, shows, languages, and people.

Dinner is two hours if you want it to be. If you order an entree for you and a kids meal for your child, you'll be done in no time. No worries. The buffet also has a kids only section and there's a family buffet on Seaside. But they also offer a variety of appetizers, entrees, and desserts along with very nice wine pairings so that you can order a 3, 4, or 5 course meal and linger over dinner as many enjoy doing. You make it your own vacation.

quote=stournillon;54549217]Opera, classical music, violins, Gala/Formal nights, 2 hour dinners....have I booked the wrong cruise for an 11 year old?? I'm worried. My kid loves Taylor Swift, YouTube prank videos, swimming and eating plain noodles with butter.

Stournillon, Oh My, we did the NCL Epic last Thanksgiving and there were no shows for kids. The only one was "Pricsilla of the Desert" booked for my family of 4 (7 and 9 yr old kids) Had to cancel it due to it being a drag queen show. Never told you on the website there is an age restriction. Anyway my kids never saw any of the shows they were all for adults. We did do the circa dinner theater, was awesome but did have to pay extra. Also I would not to the Epic ever again. Had a great time but the ship was nothing special!! Weird family balcony stateroom. Research it carefully! Seaside looks like a great ship for kids. We will sail May 26 on one of the mysterious Aft suites.

Its funny you say that about young kids and opera. When on board Divina recently I went to see the 'Love Me' opera based on La Traviata, and noticed that four boys (aged around 10-13) had nabbed the four prime seats on the front row centre stage. I thought to myself 'well they won't appreciate that!'.

I've never seen four people look so enthralled and enthusiastic! That'll teach me to judge...!

I love that! If they're not exposed to it, how will you ever know their thoughts on it? I feel like anything live for 45 minutes with music, dancing, and usually a bit of acrobats keeps the kids very interested in the shows.

Its funny you say that about young kids and opera. When on board Divina recently I went to see the 'Love Me' opera based on La Traviata, and noticed that four boys (aged around 10-13) had nabbed the four prime seats on the front row centre stage. I thought to myself 'well they won't appreciate that!'.

I've never seen four people look so enthralled and enthusiastic! That'll teach me to judge...!

I agree. Plus my 11 year old daughter plays violin. She's been exposed to all sorts of culture and will sit very well with adults for a 2 hour meal because she's been raised with a give and take attitude. Would she rather play video games and dance? Probably. But it's our vacation too and she knows we take turns doing something for everyone.

Hi Everybody,

We just signed up for the SEASIDE cruise of Feb 24 and were surprised to find what I thought was an unusually high Gov't/Port tax of over $500 for 2 people (4 ports).

Anyone have similar experience. Previous charges were never more than $240 for 4 stops in the Caribbean.

Joe O

We're booked on Seaside next summer but it was about $120 per person for 4 ports. I'd have them double check that for sure...

Hi Everybody,

We just signed up for the SEASIDE cruise of Feb 24 and were surprised to find what I thought was an unusually high Gov't/Port tax of over $500 for 2 people (4 ports).

Anyone have similar experience. Previous charges were never more than $240 for 4 stops in the Caribbean.

Joe O

Saw a post on MSC Cruises USA Facebook page about the evening shows on Seaside.

Madame Butterfly

The Wizard

DeJaVu

Peter Punk

My Life in Music

Latin Planet

Timeless

Does anyone know if this is accurate?? If so, I'm canceling my trip and booking with another cruise line. I have an 11 year old and she loves the night shows at the various resorts we have stayed at...but these sound nothing like a show she'd enjoy.

How do you know what they are about? GEEZ

I agree. Plus my 11 year old daughter plays violin. She's been exposed to all sorts of culture and will sit very well with adults for a 2 hour meal because she's been raised with a give and take attitude. Would she rather play video games and dance? Probably. But it's our vacation too and she knows we take turns doing something for everyone.

That's wonderful and sounds like you've done a great job raising your daughter. My parents failed with raising me because I can't sit through a 2 hour dinner!! LOL!

Opera, classical music, violins, Gala/Formal nights, 2 hour dinners....have I booked the wrong cruise for an 11 year old?? I'm worried. My kid loves Taylor Swift, YouTube prank videos, swimming and eating plain noodles with butter.

I guess cruising its not for your family at all. No cruise line will do prank videos or Taylor Swift show.