Entertainment on Seaside

stournillon

Many of the shows I've read about on MSC about been Opera related, which will be painful for my 11 year old, and frankly for my husband.

Looking to see what other options are for an 11 year old. (we can only go bowling so many times!!)

There is only one opera show and it's maybe good time for your kid to see what it is about. plus she does not have to go, she can stay in kids club.

not family friendly for me is when swearing or nudity involved :confused:

Again, if entertaining your child is your top priority and they aren't interested in the kids club, then maybe Seaside isn't the ship for you? I think cruising is a great opportunity to introduce them to new things since most are already included in the price...what do you have to lose? My son tried escargot and a cappuccino for the first time on a cruise, for example...why not opera? But you know your child better than I of course...to the poster who said there was no children's shows on the NCL epic, I disagree. They had "family friendly" versions of the comedians and dueling pianos most nights, for example. And if you didn't know the plot of Priscilla, you should have done your research.

I guess cruising its not for your family at all. No cruise line will do prank videos or Taylor Swift show.

Goldenbonny, you have misunderstood my post. I was simply trying to explain that my child is not too 'refined' in her tastes and unfortunately, we haven't had much luck making her 'change' her likes/dislikes when it comes to food, the arts, etc. She likes basic plain food. She likes pop culture, sports and she likes YouTube Videos that are geared for her age. I am not opposed to exposing her to things of a different culture and the arts, in fact I encourage it and continue to try it. However, if she is miserable/bored on the cruise, that means my husband and I will be miserable.

We take one family vacation a year and I want to make the most of it. I want there to be options for all of us to enjoy. After reading posts sent by the kind people on this board, I am feeling better about Seaside and am going to keep my reservation at this time.

In addition, my daughter and her friends believe it would be a good idea for cruise lines to do prank videos and Taylor Swift Shows. ;p

I'm sure your daughter and her friends would like that, but being realistic, I doubt you'll ever find those things on a cruise ship. Maybe someday in the teen lounges, but you'll have to pay for the internet pkg to get You Tube.

Did you not see the emoji face with the wink and tongue sticking out at the end of my comment about You Tube??? That emoji represents that the comment was a joke. Yes, it was a joke.

I guess I need to not joke on the posts or maybe this is a cultural misunderstanding???!!!

Did you not see the emoji face with the wink and tongue sticking out at the end of my comment about You Tube??? That emoji represents that the comment was a joke. Yes, it was a joke.

I guess I need to not joke on the posts or maybe this is a cultural misunderstanding???!!!

How posts can be misinterpreted:

We have many options available to us now when it comes to communication: face-to-face, phone, facetime, e-mail, text. For difficult or sensitive subjects, text has got to be the worst, followed closely by e-mail. Without tone, voice, body language or facial expression, a huge part of the human communications repertoire becomes unavailable, and the chances of misinterpretation of message and/or tone increase hugely, along with the chances of offence being taken with resulting counterattacks and the whole interaction goes into a downward spiral.

I’ve all but given up on hoping for anything excellent in the way of entertainment on any cruise line. DCL was fabulous, but it’s not like anyone else has access to their IP. And as much as we enjoy concerts and theater IRL, our favorites aren’t likely to be cruise line material. It’s ok. We are often in bed by 10 and up by 6. Love the quietness if the ship in the AM and being some of the first off in port. There is a pro to less-loved entertainment offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Everybody,

We just signed up for the SEASIDE cruise of Feb 24 and were surprised to find what I thought was an unusually high Gov't/Port tax of over $500 for 2 people (4 ports).

Anyone have similar experience. Previous charges were never more than $240 for 4 stops in the Caribbean.

Joe O

Just done a mock booking: shows 125$/Person tax - looks like there is something wrong

That is the information I was given and if these shows are similar to the Divina shows I'll be very happy. However I heard that there will not be a Michael Jackson show which was one of my favorites. If you check my website in my signature I have a link to full descriptions of all the shows that are planned. Follow the link to my Seaside cruise and click on Entertainment. Bob

Thanks for the information. I think these shows look fantastic! I'll be looking forward to your review (I hope?).

Opera, classical music, violins, Gala/Formal nights, 2 hour dinners....have I booked the wrong cruise for an 11 year old?? I'm worried. My kid loves Taylor Swift, YouTube prank videos, swimming and eating plain noodles with butter.

My daughters will be 11 and almost 10 when we cruise Seaside in November 2018. This will be our first cruise with MSC.

Personally, I look at such things as opportunities to expose them to new ideas and experiences, rather than a missed opportunity for them to spend more time doing things they could already do at home. And, if all else fails, it does appear that MSC has a pretty good family/children's program. So, I don't worry one bit that my girls will enjoy themselves immensely.

That is the information I was given and if these shows are similar to the Divina shows I'll be very happy. However I heard that there will not be a Michael Jackson show which was one of my favorites. If you check my website in my signature I have a link to full descriptions of all the shows that are planned. Follow the link to my Seaside cruise and click on Entertainment. Bob

That is sound great, do you know if is there twos shows by night?

I think the programs are great! We've been on The QE2 and the QM2, and I was now resigned to only mainstream entertainment on Seaside as there was on Holland America, so this will be lovely. Our cruise is 12/22/18, so I hope they still have programs of this caliber! Do they have classical music - violinists, etc. on MSC ships?

On Divina there are a trio on classical musiciens! Great performance!

Opera, classical music, violins, Gala/Formal nights, 2 hour dinners....have I booked the wrong cruise for an 11 year old?? I'm worried. My kid loves Taylor Swift, YouTube prank videos, swimming and eating plain noodles with butter.

my daughter started cruises is 10 years old. dinner in the specialities restaurants, shows, etc. We need to show them something else. She is now 25 and it adapts to each environment.

To anyones knowledge, is there any other complimentary dining venues other then the formal dining room and the buffet on Seaside. One of the things I loved about the newer NCL ships is the 3rd complimentary option of-the OShehans pub. Then again, prehaps they do their buffet like Carnival with distinct areas like a Mongolian wok and a deli?? I am only asking because Ive never been on MSC and am considering the seaside next year.

• 2 weeks later...

That's odd what happened to the much touted Broadway style shows? I've seen videos of them so they've presented them on at least one cruise already.

To whomever was talking about the Sports Bar apparently on an earlier segment the Seaside Sports Bar had some free chips and dip on offer if you bought drinks but they seem to have cut that out. From the pictures I saw they were never on the printed menus. You can never entirely judge until the ship does a couple rounds of their regular rounds with any of the lines. They all do some special stuff on the first few cruises probably partly to make it memorable and hoping to divert attention from whatever doesn't work properly without a few updates and corrections. :)