Traveling with Daughter's friend

Sheshefran

Has anyone had any experience taking a friend of their child on a cruise. My DD is 15 and wants to ask one of her friends to go with us. I know I will need the paperwork from NCL with her parent's permission, but I was wondering if anyone had any hassle with this. The cruise will be going to Belize, Hon. and Mexico.

We did it last year for Spring Break and will be doing it again for upcoming Epic Spring Break cruise. I took a notarized Consent to Travel letter from her parents which is something required by Customs and Border control. (link below) Use google to find a variety of sample letters. I also took a notarized Medical Treatment Authorization letter from her parents. I Asked her parents to obtain a Passport for her (which they did). I can't recall if RCCL had a separate form to fill out last year. Everything went smoothly and the girls had a blast. I travel alone with my own daughters quite a bit and I carry those same document signed by my husband too.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3643/kw/minor%20child%20travel/session/L3RpbWUvMTUxMDA2NDkyOS9zaWQvZjNsOTQ4eG4%3D

Thanks Hencoll. I was hoping to hear from someone who had done it. I will make sure to bring all the documents including her passport. I get nervous that something will go wrong and we will have a nightmare while boarding. I am so glad it went smoothly for you.

Thanks Hencoll. I was hoping to hear from someone who had done it. I will make sure to bring all the documents including her passport. I get nervous that something will go wrong and we will have a nightmare while boarding. I am so glad it went smoothly for you.

Happy to help. Of course the passport wasn't required but I required it since our family always travel with passports.

We did it last year for Spring Break and will be doing it again for upcoming Epic Spring Break cruise. I took a notarized Consent to Travel letter from her parents which is something required by Customs and Border control. (link below) Use google to find a variety of sample letters. I also took a notarized Medical Treatment Authorization letter from her parents. I Asked her parents to obtain a Passport for her (which they did). I can't recall if RCCL had a separate form to fill out last year. Everything went smoothly and the girls had a blast. I travel alone with my own daughters quite a bit and I carry those same document signed by my husband too.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3643/kw/minor%20child%20travel/session/L3RpbWUvMTUxMDA2NDkyOS9zaWQvZjNsOTQ4eG4%3D

NCL has a form to fill out:

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/ParentGuardianForm_01302012b.pdf

Source:

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents

I would make sure she actually has a passport and its not expiring or expired.

• 2 weeks later...

Have travelled from Canada with a child not my own and the child required a passport and a notarized consent letter from the parents. Also don't forget to ask the child's parents for the child's health card and the parent's benefits card for insurance purposes.

Traveling with Minors Unaccompanied by Parent or Legal Guardian*:

The following documents must be supplied at the pier during check-in:

1)Download and Complete the

Minors or the same parent(s)/legal guardian(s) may be listed on the same form

2) Copy of both parents/legal guardians Driver’s License or other Government Issued ID

Adoptive parents, legal guardians or persons separated or divorced are advised to keep legal and other relevant documents available in order to clarify custody rights.

*If travelling to Canada, you’ll the following document in addition to items #1 and 2 (Alaska, Pacific Coastal, and Canada/New England Itineraries):

Canadian entry requirements stipulate that a child under the age of 18 traveling alone, or with person(s) other than both parents, should be in possession of a letter (preferably notarized) from the parents or legal guardian containing:

Authorization for the child to travel with another person and to be outside the country;

The name and a 24-hour contact telephone number of the parents or guardian;

The destination and length of stay in Canada.

Have travelled from Canada with a child not my own and the child required a passport and a notarized consent letter from the parents. Also don't forget to ask the child's parents for the child's health card and the parent's benefits card for insurance purposes.

Healthcare insurance is unlikely to cover them outside the country. OP is from the U.S..

Healthcare insurance is unlikely to cover them outside the country. OP is from the U.S..

Sorry, not uber familiar with US insurance, we have global coverage through work benefits so don’t require additional insurance... but wouldn’t some private US health insurance have global coverage as well? Well I guess there’s always travel insurance with medical coverage if not. I certainly wouldn’t let my child go without some kind of health insurance coverage.

I take our Nephew often...

Note that the ship form ONLY covers the ship permissions, it is not necessarily CBP compliant...

I use these forms:

http://www.globetrektravel.com/minortravelforms.pdf - Minor Travel Consent.pdf

Also, even though a passport is not required it is not optional in this case. If there is an issue (say like the Gem had) getting an emergency passport for air travel without a parent present will be an absolute nightmare.

I took my son's 3 friends before they all turned 18. I had consent to travel letters signed and notarized by their parents, I had a paragraph allowing me to consent to medical treatment if required, I also had a paragraph included that allowed me to sign consents for on board activities.

Two of them had passports, one had her BC and license. We were fine.

Also, I insisted that they all agree to purchasing travel insurance. While we flew to Florida and our insurance was good before we boarded, once we left port, I needed to know that any costs would be covered and medevac if needed.

Everyone had a great time.