Night of the Living Drunks: Our 2017 Halloween cruise aboard the Carnival Dream!

watermelonqueen99

Happy Sunday everyone! Since my church (the liquor store) is closed on Sundays in Oklahoma, I'm here this morning with another installment. But I am wearing my good Sunday clothes (sweats and my "Dorothy in the Streets, Blanche in the Sheets" t-shirt), I have my bible handy (a copy of "The Home Bartender"), and I've been singing hymns all morning by some of my favorite gospel singers (Usher, Ludacris, Snoop, Eminem, etc), so I'm ready to go. When I left off, we had just sailed away and unpacked, so let's pick up from there.

Sunday, 10/29/17 continued:

After we unpacked, we decided to roam around the ship. As we exited our room, we met our room steward, Lumba from Jamaica. He asked if we wanted morning or evening service, and I told him we're easy (I'm not usually so upfront with that. Actually, yes I am.) and that we only needed evening service and our ice bucket filled.

We found ourselves on deck 5, and I ended up taking a few pics of the piano bar, since it was empty. We had so much fun in there over the next 7 days. Some of which I hope there is no photographic evidence:

24450403088_7e0a70c81e_k.jpg

38289010722_98516e7fa8_k.jpg

I love the bar top in the piano bars:

38265785236_060fcd36eb_k.jpg

As always on night one, we bar hopped trying to find our "home" for the week. We bounced between the Atrium and the Alchemy bar, which was still the Ocean Plaza bar when we were on the Dream last year. We don't like the Alchemy being in the Ocean Plaza. It's far too loud with the band. On the Freedom, the Alchemy is located aft, away from the music, and it makes for a much quieter, more intimate setting, which I think suits the atmosphere of Alchemy much better. Unfortunately, the live music in both the Atrium and the Ocean Plaza was AWFUL. All of the main bands/singers were either acoustic and/or instrumental only. We hoped that this was the case just for the first night, but unfortunately it was the same the entire cruise. The bands/singers mostly did ballads and slow songs, unless there was something special going on. I couldn't believe that they had an instrumental band as main live music. No words, just the music. Several other people we met and talked to were very disappointed in the music as well. It has been our experience over 8 cruises that the music sets the mood and tone of the cruise. And by far, this was the worst music we've ever had on all of our cruises. We would be sitting at Alchemy, ready to party and have a good time, and there would be violins playing in the background. We joked that it was the same band that played on the Titanic as the ship sunk. That's exactly what it sounded like.

We did notice on the first night that this was probably the drunkest crowd we'd seen on embarkation day, and yes, I am including ourselves in that observation. People just really seemed to be having a good time. We chatted with a few people at both bars, feeling them out, (Not literally. Ok, maybe one or two.) hoping to make friends early on like we usually do. We ended up going to the "Rock the Promenade" that our CD, Chris the Flying Scotsman was hosting. I had HIGH expectations for Chris, because I had heard nothing but great things about him. He was good, but he's definitely no Dr. E. In our opinion, he didn't live up to the hype, but I would say he's probably the best one we've had other than Eversen.

We closed down Alchemy, and hopped over to the nightclub. We didn't stay long, because the music was terrible there too. This has been our experience in the club the last several cruises. Unknown music. After we left the club, we ended up in the piano bar, and it was the best decision we could have made. Ben Gentry was the PBE, and he was absolutely fantastic. By far, the most fun PBE we have ever had. We closed the piano bar down, and decided to call it a night. We walked gracefully (and by that I mean I held onto the railing with one hand and desperately clung to C with the other, praying to the vodka gods that I wouldn't fall over) back to the room. I noticed that our towel animal looked a lot like me at the end of a long day of Cheers: It had one eye, it was disheveled, and you couldn't quite figure out what it was. Eventually, I fell asleep and dreamed that the shower in our bathroom poured out Long Island Iced tea instead of water.

To be continued.....

**Note: I apologize for the lack of pics, I left my phone in the room that night. Also, my next post will be the FunTimes from embarkation day.

Much like this review, these particular FunTimes pics are gonna be a hot mess. Flickr is not letting me crop them, so that means on the next set, I'm gonna have to crop them before I upload them. I'm too lazy to go back and do that for this set, because they're already uploaded and ready to go. So, here are the FunTimes screenshots from embarkation day:

26592022609_ac8e119526_z.jpg

26592019999_a2ca6f25c7_z.jpg

26592019399_f13eb67956_z.jpg

26592018419_7dc5ee2362_z.jpg

26592017799_01ac333390_z.jpg

24496940568_1d22c95aa6_z.jpg

Continued in next post......

Loving this review!!! I just read the Freedom review. You have a great writing style. I have one question for you.... How in the H E double hockey sticks did you come up with the name "watermelonqueen99". Seems to me it would have been more appropriate to use "alcoholqueen99".... or was that one already taken:p:p:p

Sorry, somehow I missed your reply. The "watermelonqueen" part is from a 90's country song, and the 99 is the year we got married. The song has a long backstory for me. Lol I do love the name "alcoholqueen", though, I wish I would have thought of it! That wasn't my original screen-name on here, but I had an internet stalker so I had to change it. Thanks for reading!

You had me at: We do not cruise without the Cheers package, and we make full use of it, no shame. (15 drinks? Honey, that's not a limit, that's a goal

🤣🤣🤣🤣. Can’t wait for more

DITTO:

I actually had to read that out loud to my Hubby.

So now I must go make a drink cuz I'm only on page 1.

I hope I don't squirt Cap't Morgan out my nose from laughing so hard.:D

That would seriously be Alcohol Abuse.

O.K So now I'm caught up and totally loving your review.

I did have to stop and get a Kleenex to wipe the tears from my eyes from laughing so hard.:D:D

I just hope I don't laugh so hard the tears run down my legs. LOL.

Hubby is like, What are you reading.

Thanks for this hillarious review.

I can see pics, yeah, I don't like pork rinds but going to store tomorrow to see if they sell Jiffy Pop.

For the next installment. Better buy a case of Rum to.

Sorry, somehow I missed your reply. The "watermelonqueen" part is from a 90's country song, and the 99 is the year we got married. The song has a long backstory for me. Lol I do love the name "alcoholqueen", though, I wish I would have thought of it! That wasn't my original screen-name on here, but I had an internet stalker so I had to change it. Thanks for reading!

I'm trying to figure out which 90's country song you're talking about. The only one I can think of is Watermelon Crawl. Is that the country song?

DITTO:

I actually had to read that out loud to my Hubby.

So now I must go make a drink cuz I'm only on page 1.

I hope I don't squirt Cap't Morgan out my nose from laughing so hard.:D

That would seriously be Alcohol Abuse.

Oh, yeah, that would be a party foul for sure! Thanks for reading!

O.K So now I'm caught up and totally loving your review.

I did have to stop and get a Kleenex to wipe the tears from my eyes from laughing so hard.:D:D

I just hope I don't laugh so hard the tears run down my legs. LOL.

Hubby is like, What are you reading.

Thanks for this hillarious review.

I can see pics, yeah, I don't like pork rinds but going to store tomorrow to see if they sell Jiffy Pop.

For the next installment. Better buy a case of Rum to.

So glad your'e enjoying my review! Make sure to follow my tips on Jiffy Pop to the letter. Pretty sure I learned that technique from Martha Stewart.

I'm trying to figure out which 90's country song you're talking about. The only one I can think of is Watermelon Crawl. Is that the country song?

Yep, that's the one. I'm a lady (not really), so I'll refrain from going into detail about which part of the song got me the title of Watermelon Queen in high school. Lol