how close to a cruise can you book (what's really last minute)?

reader135

We might be able to go on a cruise but won't know until a few days before. We'll already be in the departure city. With security these days, I figure there must be some sort of deadline as to how far out a cruise must be booked. 72 hours? 48 hours? Anyone know? (I know I can call but thought there might be some interesting last minute stories to go with this).

Can you get last minute bargains from 1-30 days before departure? Or are they much more expensive?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Forums mobile app

It depends, I think it probably depends on how full the ship is. I have seen some great deals and then I have seen some really high prices within the last 30 days before sailing.

Have a friend who was supposed to camp at Disney right after the hurricane. Camp ground was still closed so 24 hours in advance was able to book a Carnival cruise. Also had to be done directly through the cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We might be able to go on a cruise but won't know until a few days before. We'll already be in the departure city. With security these days, I figure there must be some sort of deadline as to how far out a cruise must be booked. 72 hours? 48 hours? Anyone know? (I know I can call but thought there might be some interesting last minute stories to go with this).

If cabins are available you can book by phone on the day of sailing. The cutoff is that you have to check in at the pier two hours prior to departure because online check in is closed. One thing to remember is that you are not likely to get any deal on pricing.

Can you get last minute bargains from 1-30 days before departure? Or are they much more expensive?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Forums mobile app

Its a toss up really, sometimes you will get the really low rates then because they dont want empty cabins so they go dirt cheap to sell them, other times, especially during their busy season/times, you probably wont see much of a price drop

Many last minute bargain fares do not include any perks (Drink package, dining package, etc), but each sailing is different. Sail Away fares (category X) are for guarantee cabins so you get what you are assigned. Often you can pay slightly higher fares and choose your cabin and get the available perks. Some great deals can be had if the sailing is not full. Monitor online to see the pricing trend.