norovirus and OTC meds?

Smyles

When we travel I load up on all sorts of over the counter meds. Meds we have never taken while home and have never used on a trip. My husband rolls his eyes at me but I bring the immodium, pepto, gravol, etc plus advil and tylenol...I even bring a carton of powdered gaterade. Just in case.

Does any of that actually help with something like norovirus? If we ever catch any stomach bug etc at home we just wait it out. But I feel like if we had it on vacation we'd want to be able to take something to feel better since we aren't in our own home.

Not sure that anything otc stops it. And you don’t want to feel so good guy can go out and about.

If I’d focus NOW on good hand washing habits and on breaking any fingernail biting, or resting hands on face, types of habits now. That way you’ll lower your chances of dealing with noro.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we travel I load up on all sorts of over the counter meds. Meds we have never taken while home and have never used on a trip. My husband rolls his eyes at me but I bring the immodium, pepto, gravol, etc plus advil and tylenol...I even bring a carton of powdered gaterade. Just in case.

Does any of that actually help with something like norovirus? If we ever catch any stomach bug etc at home we just wait it out. But I feel like if we had it on vacation we'd want to be able to take something to feel better since we aren't in our own home.

Nothing helps noro. You need a bucket, a toilet, gatorade, and time. ;)

If you want to bring something to help you if you get noro, bring air freshener.

I also agree that prevention is the best medicine. Wash your hands early and often. Also, most hand sanitizers are not considered effective against Noro. However, some are believed to be effective. I always take Clorox non-bleach hand sanitizers when I cruise. Available at Amazon. At the buffet, I always use it after going through the line. In the MDR, I use it after ordering and handing back the menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also agree that prevention is the best medicine. Wash your hands early and often. Also, most hand sanitizers are not considered effective against Noro. However, some are believed to be effective. I always take Clorox non-bleach hand sanitizers when I cruise. Available at Amazon. At the buffet, I always use it after going through the line. In the MDR, I use it after ordering and handing back the menu.

I would think bleach is what you'd want though. Bleach is very effective at almost everything, and can even be used to purify drinking water.

But yes, nothing will stop noro once you already have it. Gatorade, or Power Aid, or other electrolytic drink (Pedialyte) is about all you need (due to all the fluid loss), but the ship will provide it if it happens.

Wash your hands with soap and water often (especially before eating), avoid public restrooms as much as possible (pay attention and you'll see quite a lot of people don't wash their hands), and keep your hands off your face is the best thing you can do.

We also always travel with rehydration salts. They have saved us on past land-based trips. I always bring ginger snaps made with real ginger - if you don't need them, they're a nice snack. I also bring a bag of peppermints. I have all the usual suspects - Pepto, Immodium, GasX. I've heard that there are Rx that your doctor can give you to help control the nausea and vomiting. I bring a box of saltines - sometimes when you need them, it's not particularly convenient or easy to go find them. I know none of these things cure you, but whatever you can do to minimize symptoms for your own semi-comfort is important.

Thanks for the tip on the Gravol - that wasn't one that I was familiar with.

Washing hands in hot water frequently ,keeping hands away from any part of your face are the most important parts of not contacting the noro bug . The Clorox hand sanitizers are a layer of added protection .

Recognize that the alcohol gel that is available at the dining room doors will not stop getting Noro virus . anither thing we do is use our knuckles on the buttons when ordering a elevator . As many preventative measures one can take will definitely work to keep that awful noro bug away :)

The symptoms of Noro are the body’s way of expelling the virus. To speed things along, just let nature take its course, just keep slowly rehydrating.

While very true my concerns are more the fact that we travel with our 4 year old and if both my husband and I catch noro, whether or not our daughter also has it we need to care for her. Even if while contained in our rooms for a few days we need to be at least functional enough to care for her so depending on how bad it hits and if we both/all have it at the same time we may just need to load up on drugs to attempt to survive! I know no drugs will end/cure the noro itself but I was wondering if it can help ease some symptoms so we can care for her.

We've lucked out so far in our travels to not get ill...so here's hoping but all this recent talk about noro on the ship has me thinking ahead more than usual!

I would think bleach is what you'd want though. Bleach is very effective at almost everything, and can even be used to purify drinking water.

But yes, nothing will stop noro once you already have it. Gatorade, or Power Aid, or other electrolytic drink (Pedialyte) is about all you need (due to all the fluid loss), but the ship will provide it if it happens.

Wash your hands with soap and water often (especially before eating), avoid public restrooms as much as possible (pay attention and you'll see quite a lot of people don't wash their hands), and keep your hands off your face is the best thing you can do.

I don't think bleach is recommended for hand washing. I agree 100% with the rest of your advice. I would only add that hand sanitizers in combination with, and not as a substitute for handwashing, are an effective addition. And some are specifically believed to better than others at killing viruses like noro.

http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home/which-hand-sanitizers-kill-stomach-flu-viruses

All of your suggestion on avoiding Noro are good suggestions. I travel with resealable packets of Clorox disenfecting Wipes. Nothing is sacred, not chairs, tables, doorknobs or elevator controls. We took a land tour of the British Isles and our group was cursed with the nasty Noro. We wiped everything we contacted and of the 28 on the trip, the four of us escaped it. You do what you can to hopefully remain healthy.

Medical on board will give you anti diaherra pills which you can purchase at CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc. I always carry some with me along with Tums for an upset stomach just in case. As long as you can keep things down, they work. However, if not and you have a problem at both ends, the doctor will give you a shot which makes you sleep for a number of hours.

Yes, you do need to rid the system of the "poison" but not to get dehydrated in the process. It has to run its course which can be longer or shorter depending on the amount of exposure and how soon treatment has started. Pedialite which was given on the ship tastes horrible!!! Food has to be re-introduced gradually and you are given a schedule of what you can eat and when. But not having much of an appetite anyway nothing much is that appealing.:(

Definitely not something you want to experience on vacation.

MARAPRINCE

I don't think bleach is recommended for hand washing. I agree 100% with the rest of your advice. I would only add that hand sanitizers in combination with, and not as a substitute for handwashing, are an effective addition. And some are specifically believed to better than others at killing viruses like noro.

I wasn't saying to wash your hands in bleach, that wouldn't be good for your hands. I was meaning in regards to the 'Clorox non-bleach wipes' I would think it would be better if the wipes DID have bleach. For wiping down surfaces.

I wasn't saying to wash your hands in bleach, that wouldn't be good for your hands. I was meaning in regards to the 'Clorox non-bleach wipes' I would think it would be better if the wipes DID have bleach. For wiping down surfaces.

Gotcha. The product I was referring to is hand sanitizer. I think they just call it non-bleach because we all associate Clorox with bleach. This is an alcohol based hand sanitizer. Definitely recommend using wipes to sanitize surfaces!

Gotcha. The product I was referring to is hand sanitizer. I think they just call it non-bleach because we all associate Clorox with bleach. This is an alcohol based hand sanitizer. Definitely recommend using wipes to sanitize surfaces!

Actually the sanitizer isn't alcohol based. It's made with something else (can't remember the name). It's one of the few that is supposed to actually help kill noro. I've ordered some to take on my cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually the sanitizer isn't alcohol based. It's made with something else (can't remember the name). It's one of the few that is supposed to actually help kill noro. I've ordered some to take on my cruise.

It is alcohol based though. 71% Ethel Alcohol.

I'd also be leery of purchasing this product since you can not buy it in any department store, and from online websites like Amazon it's only sold by third party sellers. The chance of counterfeit is high.

Clorox does indeed make a hand sanitizer, but it's only available to commercials suppliers.

No one knows if it even actually works. Human norovirus can not survive in a lab environment so they can't run tests on effectiveness. The best they can do is use surrogate viruses that are 'similar'. Clorox does not advertise this product as working with norovirus in any way shape or form. The only place saying it does work is a blog...

It may or may not work, but I certainly wouldn't put my trust into a website blog that is selling products via affiliate links.

It is alcohol based though. 71% Ethel Alcohol.

I'd also be leery of purchasing this product since you can not buy it in any department store, and from online websites like Amazon it's only sold by third party sellers. The chance of counterfeit is high.

Clorox does indeed make a hand sanitizer, but it's only available to commercials suppliers.

No one knows if it even actually works. Human norovirus can not survive in a lab environment so they can't run tests on effectiveness. The best they can do is use surrogate viruses that are 'similar'. Clorox does not advertise this product as working with norovirus in any way shape or form. The only place saying it does work is a blog...

It may or may not work, but I certainly wouldn't put my trust into a website blog that is selling products via affiliate links.

You make fair points. I would point out a couple of things. I purchased the Clorox from the Amazon seller "Clorox Commercial Solutions". I can't confirm if this is Clorox, but that's my guess. Regarding the blog, I do believe they cite to actual data and documents, and there is additional research out there.

Most importantly, the take away from the CDC says this (emphasis mine):

Using Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizers

The use of alcohol-based hand antiseptics (hand sanitizers) does not replace the need for frequent and proper hand washing. The efficacy of most alcohol-based hand antiseptics approximates simple hand washing. In addition, many alcohol-based hand antiseptics have very poor activity against bacterial spores, protozoan cysts and certain non-enveloped viruses, such as noroviruses. Alcohol-based hand antiseptics appear to have very good to excellent activity against many bacteria and some enveloped viruses. Some scientific evidence suggest that ethanol-based hand antiseptics containing 60-90 percent alcohol, appear to be the most effective against common pathogens (including non-enveloped viruses) that cause acute gastroenteritis on cruise ships. In general, ethanol-based hand antiseptics appear to have greater antimicrobial activity against viruses than isopropanol-based hand antiseptics, although both appear to offer some activity against these pathogens.

It should be noted that alcohol-based hand antiseptics are not effective on hands that are visibly dirty or those contaminated with organic materials. Hands that are visibly dirty or contaminated with organic material must be wash with soap and water, even if hand antiseptics are to be used as an adjunct measure. It is also worth noting that the amount of alcohol-based hand antiseptic is important to its overall effectiveness. Failure to cover all surfaces of the hands and fingers will also greatly reduce the efficacy of alcohol-based hand antiseptics.

The Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP) position on the use of hand antiseptics is that they may be used as an adjunct to proper hand washing. Given the environment of a cruise ship and the types of pathogens present, we believe, if alcohol-based hand antiseptics are used, ethanol-based products should be considered over isopropanol-based products.