Cruise Critic heading out on Silver Muse!

Cruise Critic Chris

Hello to those on-board. It's been a pretty quiet board for the last couple of days so I hope that means you're all having a wonderful time & have nothing to bad to say ! How about an update on all the issues that have provoked discussion? Thanks, all.

Nothing really new that has not been covered before. O-ya almost forget; Captain lost his Starboard anchor and looked for it till well after dark. Trying to get back on schedule. He also forgot to tell a port how big the ship is and we got refused docking. So we are going somewhere else and the poor Shore excursion desk must be going crazy.

Other than that nothing new....

Nothing really new that has not been covered before. O-ya almost forget; Captain lost his Starboard anchor and looked for it till well after dark. Trying to get back on schedule. He also forgot to tell a port how big the ship is and we got refused docking. So we are going somewhere else and the poor Shore excursion desk must be going crazy.

Other than that nothing new....

Is this true? Or an early April Fools joke?

Sounds like a remarkable day. 🤓

Not only the 15,000 LB anchor but I think 400 feet of chain. ....

Can someone explain how this happens? Seriously. I have no naval background. I would have thought there would be a safeguard that would prevent the anchor chain from completely unspooling and dropping right out of the ship. And if that's not what happened, how did the anchor chain get cut?

• Members

Hi, I'm back - thanks for wondering where I was! Got off the ship in Rio.

All in all, lots to like about Silver Muse. I have a report on the changes that should be coming out either today or tomorrow. The gist is that Silversea has a very international passenger base, and one that the company hopes to entice on the longer cruises. There were 70 passengers onboard who were doing the entire 66-day cruise. Having eight different restaurants is very appealing when you're gone that long. Asians, British and Australians (and it has to be said, younger Boomers and below) gravitate to Indochine, and that restaurant is fuller when more of those nationalities are onboard. Americans, continental Europeans and South Americans prefer Atlantide. (These stats are from the hotel director).

No lines to get into Atlantide that I saw, but the service there wasn't as good as the other restaurants (it was still fairly good, mind you - just that the service elsewhere was so much better that the few gaffes we experienced stood out). The food was excellent though. Menus now change weekly - they have lots of choices already - and there's a daily special that you order both there and Indochine. Hotel director told me that the staff preferred the return to open seating/no reservations too, and that even more seats are going to be added in December when some of the furniture changes.

Cabins look great, loved the larger veranda and we had a fantastic butler in Arun. The TVs are a bit of a miss - it's weird to see yourself in the mirror when you watch and we definitely heard sound from our neighbors while we were sitting in our living area. Tub in the bathroom is fantastic.

More to come in my report. :)

Considering there are eight restaurants serving fewer than 600 guests I don’t think sitting too close to other passengers will be a problem. And I suppose one could always ask, if uncomfortable, to be moved to another table?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Considering there are eight restaurants serving fewer than 600 guests I don’t think sitting too close to other passengers will be a problem. And I suppose one could always ask, if uncomfortable, to be moved to another table?

My comments are based upon personal experience aboard the Muse.

The tables are quite close to each other, more so than on the spirit.

Outside dining at breakfast and lunch there are tables for two arranged almost touching each other.

Similarly on the pool deck.

And of course one may refuse to be seated at such a table.

Part of the luxury experience is to enjoy dining.

For us that means having some space between the tables.

And one needs to understand the limitations of the restaurants.

LA Dame, stars and indochine are not open for lunch or breakfast.

Spanacoppoli is pizza.

Kaisecki is a limited menu and no tempura.

Stars is tapas.

Atlantide is a small room, even with the wall removed.

The biggest space seems to be Indochine.

There is also the arts cafe. But really it is a coffee bar.

There is also room service.

Is this true? Or an early April Fools joke?

Sounds like a remarkable day. 🤓

Not really early in Spain and Latin America. November 28 is celebrated as the "Day of the Innocents" (marking a biblical passage), but has evolved to include playing pranks and jokes to the "innocent" public.

I wonder Observer was aware of this...;)

Not really early in Spain and Latin America. November 28 is celebrated as the "Day of the Innocents" (marking a biblical passage), but has evolved to include playing pranks and jokes to the "innocent" public.

I wonder Observer was aware of this...;)

Observer was (again) ignorant and is now edified. That's a relief. The report was very grim. I have been on a ship that did lose its anchor. 😀

So, the lost anchor was a joke, and I'm an idiot. Great. Thanks for that.

Kate. As you know. You read my humorous post that you quoted. But now it's been deleted. Must be some conspiracy. A lot of guest were taking their pictures under the ships starboard bow showing the missing anchor. We have plenty of pictures but now wonder why CC deleted the post on weight of anchor and missing chain.?

If it's to be a secret we will respect Silversea wishes.

This will be our first Silversea cruise. Reading the comments it sounds as though you all know each other for years. That is terrific.

There is a solution for the TV sound issue by using headphones. I use them to not wake my bride every night and she is on the same room with no walls between us.

I saw that the dress code for La Terrazza had been reclassified. We are scheduled to be dining there on formal night. I didn't see what the dress code is that evening at La Terrazza.

I have not worn my tux or tails on over 20 years, although I'm willing too try to fit them on this older body.

I look forward to tnt cruise and the personalities that go with it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Kate. As you know. You read my humorous post that you quoted. But now it's been deleted. Must be some conspiracy. A lot of guest were taking their pictures under the ships starboard bow showing the missing anchor. We have plenty of pictures but now wonder why CC deleted the post on weight of anchor and missing chain.?

If it's to be a secret we will respect Silversea wishes.

I'm even more confused now!

So did it lose its anchor and chain or not? I didn't see the picture indicated, but a bit perturbed if its some sort of media black out. Fair enough I guess if its fake news negative publicity, but if it isn't, why on earth would that information be treated as a classified secret?

I'm even more confused now!

So did it lose its anchor and chain or not? I didn't see the picture indicated, but a bit perturbed if its some sort of media black out. Fair enough I guess if its fake news negative publicity, but if it isn't, why on earth would that information be treated as a classified secret?

Still missing.... and 450 feet of chain. They say it was stretched out too far and a shackle broke.

There is a reward and it should be posted in Lost and Found hopefully.

p3O4v9TwU9ixtgSUA_irzTJuPjAS6f1kss-d06yi4dcp-IQ3N_wrFQQLNgFr6yVrWHf_5C1MxNtxCeeRD16QfCd_CgVtQ_7a3N3KQMI9_i17B-tbKp3ENZXGdcLoWAgrSquyc9lDj7JTtifbF8cjSQCaFrmgi7D8Nw3IS4O5iDZqx7BnjaDRycz9MC_XWmvS8ILkn7-lkK7vRGlKS2k3l7SlwSHKx16QO4tVLy5mOqXfSiO5gnEETJofttusEi6lgUU62-Q9zTz6y9HztrTkvQuuYZsbD5M2Cr86BszDBlGFqKGf0cSxs3GfiPC65cEsBu4hVCBYVVaWtgGw2FkNiqq7ysP28Lo1vp8S54D-yWzuCSJ3ZhaVnKynalJoCjviIj0DDfWFRvy-qUVmuoXOD06Zq8IzKxjW59eO2GMnpRgoQa8CrT6GJCPyo6tYuXMm_bu6yGpsyUBbDWqrBuApvKm5nfjTTNmDBjBguYRtRh6EgTaT0SedrZZxDkfEVQvSdv-PYhFICjxBifMT9Uj8skClJ7h6qu8W1g-YEX4HrukFBxb0MepDbXMpjdNU_ki0IihjlkUem8TpUZs0yd3BWotpJpy1RFyRrg4fmr_pVA0=w895-h637-no

Well it was there in Livorno! Why on earth would your photo be removed? Maybe the photo is a bit rusty looking and offended?

I wonder what the reward for finding is?

20170709092554-d7ef6071-me.jpg

Here's the before! ........ In case someone wants to know what it looks like and fancies hunting for treasure..

Edited by les37b

M/V Silver Muse lost the starboard anchor during regular anchoring operations at Buzio (Brazil). The Silver Muse is equipped with a spare anchor and the itinerary was operated as scheduled.

From an official source via my TC at SS

Spare anchor is in its place . Now we have two working anchors. The chief ing. told me this happened the first time in his professional life. In mine as cruise ship holidaymaker as well. So we have at least two things in common. Not too bad.

Spare anchor is in its place . Now we have two working anchors. The chief ing. told me this happened the first time in his professional life. In mine as cruise ship holidaymaker as well. So we have at least two things in common. Not too bad.

I see its installed also and see the crane pulling out that pulled it off the deck 7. We also feel whole and complete. I would believe it helps the insurance company now feel a little better.

By the way; what is a Holidaymaker? Are you the one organizing this "wine and food" voyage?

Question, what do you think of the sinks in La Terrazza?

And have you noticed that the tables are quite close to one another, particularly the outside seating?

Sinks in La Terrazza are a great idea. They are automatic for water and soap with a temperature control . Also the new buffet layout is a big step-up form the other ships.

Seating seems normal with other ships and I like the extra space outside for additional seating.