Gratuity in speciality restaurants

carefree lady

We have dinner and breakfast in PG every day. We usually tip $5 at breakfast and $20 at dinner- normally the "handshake" tip. At the end of the cruise we have envelopes for our Wine Steward and usually the PG Manager to thank them for taking great care of us. We book all of our dinners well in advance and so far have been able to get our favorite table on all of our cruises. The PG staff has always gone above and beyond for us so have no problem giving back.

We have dinner and breakfast in PG every day. We usually tip $5 at breakfast and $20 at dinner- normally the "handshake" tip. At the end of the cruise we have envelopes for our Wine Steward and usually the PG Manager to thank them for taking great care of us. We book all of our dinners well in advance and so far have been able to get our favorite table on all of our cruises. The PG staff has always gone above and beyond for us so have no problem giving back.

Thank you for your defense of the handshake pass. Sometimes I think that I'm all alone, bills tucked under my second and third digits, thumb turned under, waiting to express my gratitude. :)

My big issue is what I call "tip creep" which is a long term tendency to ask for more and more tips, tips on tips, and increasing tip percentages.
And that's why it is even more paradoxical when new and expanded tipping contexts are fostered by consumers rather than by service providers.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

I have never received any service in the PG that would warrant a $5 tip at breakfast. Your PG experiences obviously are superior to all of mine.

I have never received any service in the PG that would warrant a $5 tip at breakfast. Your PG experiences obviously are superior to all of mine.

Indonesian foods are probably my favorite above all. When my server brings me Nasi Goreng and great Sambal in my book they have earned the extra. If they have ingredients I've found that the kitchen is open to special requests in PG at breakfast. Just need to ask.

Indonesian foods are probably my favorite above all. When my server brings me Nasi Goreng and great Sambal in my book they have earned the extra. If they have ingredients I've found that the kitchen is open to special requests in PG at breakfast. Just need to ask.

What are Nasi Goreng and Sambal. We'll be in a neptune on rotterdam in march.

What are Nasi Goreng and Sambal. We'll be in a neptune on rotterdam in march.

Nasi Goreng is Indonesian Fried Rice with fish sauce and an egg on top and Sambal Badjak is garlic chili sauce (can be pretty hot). I have Dutch/Indonesian family and the Indonesian crew spoils me :)

Edited by frankc98376

Interesting about leaving an extra tip for the wine steward. If my ole memory is in gear, I thought we are already charged a mandatory "gratuity" on every bottle of wine....and in theory, that should go in the pool to take care of the wine steward. So now, we are expected to pay an auto gratuity of 15 -18% (depending on the cruise line) on every bottle of wine...and then leave another tip? As I said earlier, we are usually very generous with tips...but we also refuse to be "tip shamed" which seems to be a unique problem in the USA. There is a difference between being generous and being scammed. Consider the restaurant customer that goes to a high-end establishment that adds a 20% Service Charge onto the tab. Should we then tip an additional 20%? And then perhaps drop another $20 with the Maitre'd....$10 to the coat check, etc. I guess it all starts when you arrive at the port and tip $5 - $10 to the Longshoreman (who makes over $80,000 a year) who then moves your luggage less than 10 feet to a bin.

We recently had visitors from the UK (old friends we met on a cruise many years ago) who did some traveling in the USA before reaching our home. They are experienced travelers and understand the tipping culture is different in the USA...but they told us they thought it was totally out of control. Since we are on the HAL thread lets talk about the history of this line. At one time they had a no-tipping necessary and then it was a "no tipping required" and then they took away that language and were pretty silent on the subject (but started leaving envelopes in the cabin). And finally, they started adding tips to everyone's onboard account (which begs the question, is an "auto tip" truly a tip...or is it a mandatory service charge).

Hank

Interesting about leaving an extra tip for the wine steward. If my ole memory is in gear, I thought we are already charged a mandatory "gratuity" on every bottle of wine....and in theory, that should go in the pool to take care of the wine steward. So now, we are expected to pay an auto gratuity of 15 -18% (depending on the cruise line) on every bottle of wine...and then leave another tip? As I said earlier, we are usually very generous with tips...but we also refuse to be "tip shamed" which seems to be a unique problem in the USA. There is a difference between being generous and being scammed. Consider the restaurant customer that goes to a high-end establishment that adds a 20% Service Charge onto the tab. Should we then tip an additional 20%? And then perhaps drop another $20 with the Maitre'd....$10 to the coat check, etc. I guess it all starts when you arrive at the port and tip $5 - $10 to the Longshoreman (who makes over $80,000 a year) who then moves your luggage less than 10 feet to a bin.

We recently had visitors from the UK (old friends we met on a cruise many years ago) who did some traveling in the USA before reaching our home. They are experienced travelers and understand the tipping culture is different in the USA...but they told us they thought it was totally out of control. Since we are on the HAL thread lets talk about the history of this line. At one time they had a no-tipping necessary and then it was a "no tipping required" and then they took away that language and were pretty silent on the subject (but started leaving envelopes in the cabin). And finally, they started adding tips to everyone's onboard account (which begs the question, is an "auto tip" truly a tip...or is it a mandatory service charge).

Hank

My first HAL cruise was 1982- remember those days. CD was not allowed todiscuss tips at the disembarkation talk. I remember one used to say that tipping should be for exceptional not expected service.

As I said earlier, we are usually very generous with tips...but we also refuse to be "tip shamed" which seems to be a unique problem in the USA. There is a difference between being generous and being scammed. Consider the restaurant customer that goes to a high-end establishment that adds a 20% Service Charge onto the tab. Should we then tip an additional 20%? And then perhaps drop another $20 with the Maitre'd....$10 to the coat check, etc. I guess it all starts when you arrive at the port and tip $5 - $10 to the Longshoreman (who makes over $80,000 a year) who then moves your luggage less than 10 feet to a bin.

I recall two other examples of this. First was the switch over from tipping valets when you received your car back in good order to tipping even when somebody's just taking your car away from you. Second was the switch over from tipping bellman when they delivered your luggage to your hotel room to tipping even the person taking your luggage from your car, case they would pass your luggage off among the way.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

You hit the nail on the head. The hotel service charge is the tip, and the beverage servers charge another tip. It is enough and now I expect them to do their job with a smile.

I really do not understand why people would differentiate between waiter services in the MDR vs a specialty restaurant. It is the same effort, probably more so in the MDR. The only rationale for extra tipping is for special requests such as ordering off the menu.

igraf

... As I said earlier, we are usually very generous with tips...but we also refuse to be "tip shamed" which seems to be a unique problem in the USA. There is a difference between being generous and being scammed. ....

Hank

You hit the nail on the head. The hotel service charge is the tip, and the beverage servers charge another tip. It is enough and now I expect them to do their job with a smile.

I really do not understand why people would differentiate between waiter services in the MDR vs a specialty restaurant. It is the same effort, probably more so in the MDR. The only rationale for extra tipping is for special requests such as ordering off the menu.

igraf

Beverage staff does not get any of the HSC. We only buy wine packages and get our 50% off. Wine stewards take great care of us so we take care of them.

Beverage staff does not get any of the HSC. We only buy wine packages and get our 50% off. Wine stewards take great care of us so we take care of them.

We also buy the wine packages at 50% off....but the usual service charge (I think its still 15%) is applied to 100% of the package cost. So again, this begs the question....if you are already paying a service charge/tip as part of the package cost...why should you tip more? At land restaurants I do tip for wine....but only once. Our understanding is that the service charge/tips added to wine prices/packages and the service charge added to all beverages is pooled and split among the beverage staff. If this is not the case....where is that money going? We will sometimes slip some cash to a favorite bar tender or wine steward....but only for extraordinary service.

Hank

My feelings, as well. We do not tip in the Pinnacle Grill.

Totally agree when dining in a specialty restaurant paying that extra service fee is the cover charge & should include something for the wait staff . Besides giving up that meal in the MDR saves money for the cruice line

We will sometimes slip some cash to a favorite bar tender or wine steward....but only for extraordinary service.

Hank

Yes, this is what I do. In the PG, if I am ordering a bottle of wine from my package, I will tip the Wine Steward a small amount. But, if I am buying a bottle of wine (or other beverages), I believe nothing additional is needed unless the service is exemplary.

Yes, this is what I do. In the PG, if I am ordering a bottle of wine from my package, I will tip the Wine Steward a small amount. But, if I am buying a bottle of wine (or other beverages), I believe nothing additional is needed unless the service is exemplary.

We basically do the same except we do it at the end with a thank you card.

Totally agree when dining in a specialty restaurant paying that extra service fee is the cover charge & should include something for the wait staff .

Whether or not the cover charge 'should' include "something for the wait staff" is a matter of opinion.

However, the 'fact' is the cover charge does not; the Hotel Service Charge does, though. Tipping over and above that HSC is optional, and a personal decision.

Question: Do you feel an additional tip is appropriate for the wine steward if you take your own wine to the PG, or the MDR, and pay a $18 corkage fee?

Yes, no and maybe are all appropriate answers.

They already get a portion of the $18.00 which is essentially composed of a corkage fee + the equivalent 15% service charge.

Any additional tip really depends on the service. How long did you wait for them to open the bottle? How many times did they top up the glasses? Did you have to wait a long time between pours? Were they the least bit friendly or just poured the wine without saying a word? If you feel the service deserves a tip, go ahead; otherwise, politely say thank you during the last pour and walk out.

Question: Do you feel an additional tip is appropriate for the wine steward if you take your own wine to the PG, or the MDR, and pay a $18 corkage fee?

On a couple of occasions I have taken a bottle of wine that I received as a "gift" from the Captain for being in a Neptune Suite to the MDR. When I do this, I tip the wine steward as I hand him the bottle. It just seems to be the right thing to do in that situation.

On a couple of occasions I have taken a bottle of wine that I received as a "gift" from the Captain for being in a Neptune Suite to the MDR. When I do this, I tip the wine steward as I hand him the bottle. It just seems to be the right thing to do in that situation.

I agree, but I would wait until my dinner is over to offer the gratuity.