Best Key Lime Pie?

allen.crawford

OMG! Key lime AND chocolate? Does it get any better? I'd better bring plenty of elastic waist pants/shorts! When I was younger, I used to think elastic was for OLD people--now that I'm 50, I've joined the elastic-waist crowd (at least some of the time)!:)

We stopped in there last Wednesday after walking around. It was on my list of things I wanted to do there.

It was REALLY good! Too rich to eat by myself, so my sister in law and I split one.

Well worth the trip. :)

I have read the threads that are now getting dated about the best conch fritters and key lime pie, I was surprised that one of the key lime pie debate threads ended with Halfshell Rawbar beating out Kermits, Blonde Girraffe etc. But that was a few months back. But that could kill two birds with one stone if true. Also has anyone tried Big Daddys for seafood including conch fritters, the menu looked pretty good and it is close to Malory square.

I was surprised that one of the key lime pie debate threads ended with Halfshell Rawbar beating out Kermits, Blonde Girraffe etc.

Turtle Kraals is right next to the Halfshell and they might get their key lime pie from the same spot - it is way, way, way better than any of those other places. You will not be disappointed!!!

• 2 months later...

We just got back from our trip to Key West on the Radiance last week and have to throw in a plug for the most delicious dessert we've ever had.....ANYWHERE!

We took the Old Town Trolley and got off at the stop that is nearest a place called "THE BLOND GIRAFFE KEY LIME PIE FACTORY". We had seen it on a Food Network Special program about food in Key West and wanted to check it out.

Sure, you can watch the ladies making 100's of Key Lime Pies through the windows in the store, but the best treat ever was.....Frozen Chocolate Covered Key Lime Pie......ON A STICK! :D

It was absolutely amazing and we both wanted to eat more than one if we could have!

They start out with a Key Lime Pie....stick it in the freezer.....cut it in slices.....then put a stick in it and dip it in chocolate and freeze it again! It's like an ice cream sucker, only with a slice of delicious creamy Key Lime Pie inside!

I highly recommend trying it on your next visit to Key West!

I want some RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!! :(

I saw that on the Food Network too but couldn't remember the name of the place. Thanks so much for posting. We'll be going there in January.

Hey YEARNIN'! :)

Don't miss it! It was awesome!

There is an "Old Town Trolley" stop right near there, and they have an info desk set up where the person can point out the building to you from there! Just a short stroll down the street.

I'm still craving another one of those frozen key lime pies on a stick things!!!

:D

Is the "THE BLOND GIRAFFE KEY LIME PIE FACTORY" on Simonton Street? My friend went to Key West last winter and told me that I must go to a store that sold the best key lime pie. She could not remember the name, but had remembered the name of the street. Is it within walking distance from Port or will we need transportation?

Is the "THE BLOND GIRAFFE KEY LIME PIE FACTORY" on Simonton Street? Is it within walking distance from Port or will we need transportation?

Yes and yes. Actually they have 5 locations throughout Key West, so it is not hard to find.

Have a great visit!

Mike:)

We were just there last Friday............even though,it was only 10am,I had to have one.........it was sooooooo good..........too bad they charge so much to ship one(about $160!!).........

Go to the place on Simonton,if you want to see them making them..........it is within walking distance from the port(as is most of the Key West attractions)

• 3 weeks later...

We went to Kermit's in June and we tried the Blond Giraffe last week. We had both the regular pie and the chocolate covered pie on a stick. Kermit's is a lot more tart than the Blond Giraffe. We couldn't even finish Kermit's. It was good, but after having the Blond Giraffe, we now have a favorite. I do want to clarify that you can get either meringue or whipped cream at the Blond Giraffe. We prefer whipped cream. I do want to also say that we loved the products at Kermits - salsa with key lime juice and the Caesar dressing with key lime juice.

Happy eating!

You are right is is a toss up, depedning on what flavor you prefer , have gone to nearly all of them over the years and the blonde Girraffe is our favorite as well because it is a bit sweeter...........although they are pricer then some of the others. But heck your on vacation.....worry about the $$ when you get back to reality! LOL :)

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy!

We're on the Fascination on January 30th, docked at the *****. Never having been to Key West before, and always seeming to find what we're looking for just as we get back to the ship, how can I find either store from the Outer Mole? It's now currently my life's mission to try at least one chocolate covered key lime pie while there, since my sister is too young (20) to do the pub crawl and FI is ditching me for golf! I was really looking forward to those rum runners!

Thanks!