Back To Abyss-ness! Live from Harmony - December 2, 2017

Okay, I’m trying to be much more live today.

Ha! Well I have always been told I'm a jinx. So no surprise that the quote above is where this went off the rails.

Rewind!

Six days ago I was in San Juan, which many of you know is very a short stop for the Harmony, with an arrival of 7:00 AM and an all aboard at 2:30 PM. However, this was also the morning that I was invited to the bridge tour, which didn't begin until 9:30 AM. So I lost nearly three hours of port time. That said, I refrained from signing up for the Cave Window (Cueva Ventana) shore excursion, which was the only offering that really interested me. The tour is pretty much the entire day, as it requires driving an hour out to a cliff, which overlooks the Rio Grande de Arecibo Valley.

My next cruise will be on the Adventure of the Seas and I will be doing a two day pre-cruise stay in San Juan, so I wasn't too upset to miss this.

Now I know I did the Bridge tour twice in September, but for some reason its just one of those things that I can never turn down.

fd3302881f36ce38ae836796d9ecfcd2.jpg

8561a500db796af09119b75523b2e55c.jpg

f8ac37b5d17b273c0c7c33104dd72a5f.jpg

After the tour, I went for a quick run at the gym, showered and I was off the ship by 11 AM, which didn’t give me much time. Walking off the ship, my shower was quickly cancelled out as it was hotter than Hades. If you have never cruised to San Juan, you dock right In the heart of Old Town so exploring on foot is very easy. My first destination was Castillo San Cristobal, which always provides for excellent photo opportunities.

471ed50d2606437fe0129a9fc44bfb76.jpg

9dc07b6eabd40a5a4e08dfde5ba88d28.jpg

20f57965f33ac20a5d75b17f03997b0f.jpg

From Cristobal, I walked along the north shore and really got to see what great shape Old San Juan was in. I will also say that all the locals I encountered were smiling and very upbeat despite so much destruction and lack of power in many of the areas outside of Old Town.

ceecce67d3830a631283ee1dfd76ac0a.jpg

59f43d53bcc1d3af5ed02bcd1a10e830.jpg

1b652d475c883c62d94eeb0d6faa65ed.jpg

My second stop was San Felipe Del Morro Fortress, which is the fort that you pass when entering and exiting the harbor. Notice the lighthouse.

ceb5189fee36a0fa39e3ff583cb9ff6b.jpg

From there I took a walk along the Paseo Del Morro, which is one of my favorite things to do in Old Town. It’s just so peaceful and the views are the best. I entered through the San Juan Gates.

244daae6df2c772092cef1a6eda51efd.jpg

The Paseo Del Morro will end right at the Raices Fountain, which never fails to impress me, especially when the sun hits it just right.

7f8184f8c19d84a71cca34a9cbd7642a.jpg

After that, I made a pit stop into CVS to pick up some protein bars, browsed some of the local vendors and made my way back to the ship.

Edited by CruiseLifeRick

938f9b61664cbbc13113d98f7efd3000.jpg

I didn’t really have a chance to stop into any of the restaurants or bars given the time constraints I faced with getting off the ship so late, but my fiends were able to enjoy some pina coladas and some local fare, all of which they said was was excellent.

So no food in my belly and no alcohol at 2 PM. This is where things went south quickly. Remember this picture.

0934b30895f84ff63e251c1f8844b1cb.jpg

I spent the rest of the afternoon at the Suite Sun Deck Bar getting tanked. However, I did manage to catch a good shot from our sail out as well as the sunset.

b04735995160729e741c56a1091c3a60.jpg

19c8d22bd58a29a08b84a310ae6b9f51.jpg

Rick -we also love bridge tours. I never get tired of them. We are on the Adventure out of Puerto Rico - end of April ABC islands. I was told ship would be using the new pier - not in Old Town - as Puerto Rico is start and end of cruise and not a port stop. The Caribe Hilton (Hotel and Villas) where we have stayed before has been housing workers trying to rebuild the island. The hotel was supposed to reopen for guests in early April 2018.Got email today our reservation for end of April before cruise starts and May when cruise ends have been cancelled. I called fhe hotel direct and was told they are now looking at 2019 before they will be able to reopen. We have Marriott and Renaissance Condado as back up. Looks like thats where we will be. One pre cruise and the other post cruise.

Rick -we also love bridge tours. I never get tired of them. We are on the Adventure out of Puerto Rico - end of April ABC islands. I was told ship would be using the new pier - not in Old Town - as Puerto Rico is start and end of cruise and not a port stop. The Caribe Hilton (Hotel and Villas) where we have stayed before has been housing workers trying to rebuild the island. The hotel was supposed to reopen for guests in early April 2018.Got email today our reservation for end of April before cruise starts and May when cruise ends have been cancelled. I called fhe hotel direct and was told they are now looking at 2019 before they will be able to reopen. We have Marriott and Renaissance Condado as back up. Looks like thats where we will be. One pre cruise and the other post cruise.

For now, I’m booked at the Sheraton in Old Town. I know the Adventure docks on the other side of the harbor, but I rather be in the heart of the restaurants and bars.

For now, I’m booked at the Sheraton in Old Town. I know the Adventure docks on the other side of the harbor, but I rather be in the heart of the restaurants and bars.

When is your Adventure cruise? I am sure the bars will want to restock.... hahaha.....

I thought this meant that you didn't bring any other cameras on this trip. Now I see that you must have just been referring to while you were on St. Thomas.

I was just making a joke with the iPhone comment. Sorry if that wasn’t more obvious.

d6a7cfeab40e369e5f3a3ff25a7ce09f.jpg

See...just an iPhone. Ignore the contraption on the bottom right.

Back to the story. So after spending way too many hours here...

ea4d6e3f2af681d60a9a22d69e73a8ae.jpg

Side note: Love Antoniu! I will sail with him again for sure.

I started to get hate texts from my friends because apparently I was holding up the Escape the Rubicon group from starting the mission. So I stumbled my way down to Adventure Ocean on Deck 13 (that’s right, hide your kids). Upon my arrival I was welcomed with a lot of death stares, but nothing I haven’t become accustomed too. The group thought it would be funny to have the drunk guy commence the mission of finding and pressing the blue “start” button.

a12aa116ecfac281696bd48833f5572e.jpg

As you can see, in addition to the libation issue, my stunted growth (otherwise known as being Italian), came into play here and provided for a good laugh that seemed to settle the tempers in the room.

I won’t give anything away, but the challenge is a lot of fun and I surprisingly really enjoyed myself. We were able to complete the mission with about 5 minutes to spare and it definitely was a great way to start the evening, which would be comprised of dinner at 150 CP and the Red Party.

The group was ready to paint the ship red. One guy looks a little happier than the rest.

1bda23fbb2fcd5a297804e96405a7a91.jpg

I actually left my camera in the cabin for the night one: because I was afraid I would drop it or, let’s be honest, just fall down with it around my neck; and two: I planned to dance my arse off at the Red Party. So all the following are crappy photos I took LIIT Up.

Now anyone who has been to 150 Central Park knows that you must try the Cucumber Martini and given that it was the rest of my group’s first time we had them made for the entire table.

f14966ff1856103f4ad734745a75b95b.jpg

We also had about every single appetizer on the menu and shared amongst the table, which was pretty consistent all week long. All were very delicious, as usual, and solidified that this is definitely my favorite speciality restaurant on the ship, in both service and food quality. Standout appetizers were tuna tartare and lobster gnocchi.

For my main, I steered clear of the beef tenderloin for two, well because I was afraid I would eat the whole thing myself. Instead, I ordered the short rib, which I really enjoyed.

c09fd257409035366586bb82235194bd.jpg

I passed on dessert, but I feel like Tim’s choice of the cheese cart made up for it. Doesn’t he look so happy!?

c6b9b6f2ae21466ca6d3c85531d78651.jpg

Edited by CruiseLifeRick

Standout appetizers were tuna tartare and lobster gnocchi.

Instead, I ordered the short rib, which I really enjoyed.

c09fd257409035366586bb82235194bd.jpg

York didn’t eat the short rib without you seeing him? Total Ninja move.

I have to try the lobster gnocchi next time along with the tuna which was really nice.

The Red Party in Studio B.

While the Red Party was way more attended in September, the crowd this go around was so much more lively. I can’t tell you the number of dance circles that broke out throughout the night.

Say hello to Nick.

270240bc4927a5a51d53aabec6e35646.jpg

You may remember him as the winner of the Sexy Man contest. Well he is also a trained dancer, albeit I questioned if his training included giving ladies lap dances. In any case, he decided to take over for the Royal Caribbean male dancer, which was all fun and games at first. Then he made the poor decision to do some dirty dancing, like the actual dirty dancing air lift and dropped the Royal Caribbean female dancer.

81f439801ebbc2fc188b2ac7857e5dbd.jpg

Say goodbye to Nick.

We never saw him in the club again the rest of the week.

We shut down the party a little after two.

DJ Tony Scott and DJ Lingo were just amazing. I really enjoyed having two DJs spinning every night.

8d54d687f1e85b3e65f09ee964e0c929.jpg

Edited by CruiseLifeRick