Breakaway - When does it start getting into warmer temperatures out of NYC?

Monnom

Just wondering when it starts to get into warmer temperatures out of NYC in the Winter? I'm sailing on the NYE cruise and can't imagine the first sea day to be a warm one? Anyone with experience on this would be much appreciated. TIA :D

Just wondering when it starts to get into warmer temperatures out of NYC in the Winter? I'm sailing on the NYE cruise and can't imagine the first sea day to be a warm one? Anyone with experience on this would be much appreciated. TIA :D

Previously I have travelled on thanksgiving week and it starts getting warmer by 2nd day afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It really depends on a lot of factors (such as the currents, weather patterns, your own personal tolerance for cold/warmth). I just got off the Breakaway on the FLA/Bahamas route, and IMO it started getting warm about 2pm the first sea day. My wife, on the other hand, was still wearing her windbreaker at that time and avoiding the outside decks at all cost until about 9pm the first sea day, when she finally felt warm outside.

It really depends on a lot of factors (such as the currents, weather patterns, your own personal tolerance for cold/warmth). I just got off the Breakaway on the FLA/Bahamas route, and IMO it started getting warm about 2pm the first sea day. My wife, on the other hand, was still wearing her windbreaker at that time and avoiding the outside decks at all cost until about 9pm the first sea day, when she finally felt warm outside.

Thank you :) I'm Canadian, so I'm used to the cold. Just curious about an average time to be wearing shorts and flip flops ;p

For the most part we've experienced it being warmer by 5p the first sea day, and much warmer by the 2nd. But then we've also been on when there was the polar vortex and it didn't really get warm until the 3rd day.

Of course the weather can change everything... I'm hoping for great weather. Thank you :)

Regardless of whether it's New Year or Easter sailing heading south from NYC, rough seas and gale force wind conditions will result in a full closure/lockdown of the outdoor decks, including the Waterfront for safety reasons ... warm or not, irrelevant. As noted, by the afteroon of Day 2 (first full sea day) - ship will be near the Virginia/Carolina coasts - depending on the cold & water fronts, be short sleeve to some while others prefer to still be in hoodies. Hottub/pool is heated to a comfortable temperature unless roped off with the netting.

Of course, feel free to sit on one's private balcony if ... :cool:

Weather Channel and AccuWeather are your friends to look ahead for the 10 days forecast - ocean/air weather temperature obviously will be a little different than those of nearby coastal cities, usually 75 to 100 nm offshore (more when heading northbound)

Thank you :) I'm Canadian, so I'm used to the cold. Just curious about an average time to be wearing shorts and flip flops ;p

My DH is Canadian. Last time we sailed he was in shorts and sandals before sunset on the 1st sea day. :D

You never can be sure. On Breakaway now. Our first day at sea. Was nice and warm. Our second day seemed cooler due to wind and clouds! And we were over 2 hours late leaving NYC due to another coast guard inspection. Last year in October the first sea day was too much cooler than yesterday’s first sea day.!

Regardless of whether it's New Year or Easter sailing heading south from NYC, rough seas and gale force wind conditions will result in a full closure/lockdown of the outdoor decks, including the Waterfront for safety reasons ... warm or not, irrelevant. As noted, by the afteroon of Day 2 (first full sea day) - ship will be near the Virginia/Carolina coasts - depending on the cold & water fronts, be short sleeve to some while others prefer to still be in hoodies. Hottub/pool is heated to a comfortable temperature unless roped off with the netting.

Of course, feel free to sit on one's private balcony if ... :cool:

Weather Channel and AccuWeather are your friends to look ahead for the 10 days forecast - ocean/air weather temperature obviously will be a little different than those of nearby coastal cities, usually 75 to 100 nm offshore (more when heading northbound)

Hopefully the seas aren't too rough... it might interfere with the UBP hahahahaha

Unfortunately, no balcony for me. I'm solo in the studio.

My DH is Canadian. Last time we sailed he was in shorts and sandals before sunset on the 1st sea day. :D

I totally can see that! I can usually spot fellow Canadians in Florida in the cooler months by how they're dressed. ;p

You never can be sure. On Breakaway now. Our first day at sea. Was nice and warm. Our second day seemed cooler due to wind and clouds! And we were over 2 hours late leaving NYC due to another coast guard inspection. Last year in October the first sea day was too much cooler than yesterday’s first sea day.!

I'm jealous! Wish I was on her now... and then again in a few weeks LOL

I don't mind leaving a bit late, it would be nice to see the city all lit up as we sail away! Hope you're having fun :cool:

The ship will be doing about 25 miles an hour to the South. By the same time the next day you will be about 600 miles to the South of New York.

As for how warm it will be?????????.

We have done plenty from NY and NJ in the Winter months and have found that by the next day (24 hours later) we were strolling on the open decks without jackets.

bosco

So, looking at March, is trying to get a Vibe pass worth it? Will it be open the first and second day at all? Is it open for sail away regardless of how cold it is? I'm not from Canada but lived in Michigan and New England the last 5 years, so close enough and cold does not bother me.

Get the Thermal Suite Pass and you will have warmth no matter the outside temperature. Would always book either a Haven Room or Spa when leaving from NYC in winter

I'm heading out by myself and I've definitely got the spa pass. Can't afford a Haven suite atm, but maybe one day. ;p

The ship will be doing about 25 miles an hour to the South. By the same time the next day you will be about 600 miles to the South of New York.

As for how warm it will be?????????.

We have done plenty from NY and NJ in the Winter months and have found that by the next day (24 hours later) we were strolling on the open decks without jackets.

bosco

Thanks for the response... I'm fairly certain I'll be fine on the morning of the next day, just curious when it starts to get balmy. :D

So, looking at March, is trying to get a Vibe pass worth it? Will it be open the first and second day at all? Is it open for sail away regardless of how cold it is? I'm not from Canada but lived in Michigan and New England the last 5 years, so close enough and cold does not bother me.

I've had the Vibe passes on all the cruises, but I am not going to get it for this one. I honestly don't think it's worth my money. I can spend that money on a game or a specialty restaurant. However, I don't have any experience sailing from NY, so mine is just an educated guess that I won't use it. Happy sailing... :)