12/2 Escape Diverted to Cozumel

tarps14

Good morning all. It’s Wed, 12/6, onboard the Escape. We’ve turned tail and are heading to Cozumel this am because of a medical emergency. Will reach there about 4p. We will miss GSC tomorrow because of this diversion. Wish they would let us off for just a bit in Cozumel but also understand the logistics. Gotta roll with the punches sometimes. Helps nothing to get upset in a situation like this. Thoughts and prayers to the passenger and family affected.

Thanks for sharing the news & sorry to hear about the passenger & their family's situation. Just looking at shipcam & AIS data, looked like ship pulled into port, stopped in the harbour and then resumed, turned and on the way again ... patient transferred ashore via smaller boat or via local resources, hopefully.

There's been a good # of medevac done lately ... involving NCL ships as well as others, but when too far away from the nearest USCG base for patient transfer, surely not an easy conclusion for the Captain to make the choice to divert ... hauling 4,000+ passengers and crew along with the ride. Just amazing on how we valued saving lives at sea. Hopefully, the passenger & others traveling have insurance and coverage for the unexpected disembarkation to get the best care available on land, and eventually get back home upon recovery.

Any idea on why they wouldn't helicopter the medical emergency off the boat?

First off, if the vessel is outside of USCG helicopter range, you would be depending on the Mexican armed forces, and not sure they are trained for this kind of maritime evacuation. Also, every medical emergency is evaluated by the ship's doctor, the ship's Captain, and the flight surgeon of the responding agency as to whether the risk of helicopter evacuation outweighs the risk of the patient remaining on the vessel and the risk to the ship, crew, flight crew, and passengers to undertake a helicopter evacuation.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on this cruise, as well. The captain's first announcement did mention that they had "exhausted all available options" which I assume were Coastguard/Navy availability or making it to Key West. (Key West seemed the same distance and on the way, but I assumed that maybe they weren't ready for a ship this size yet.)

I was looking forward to the renovations on GSC, and we were disappointed that we didn't get there (the weather was so perfect all week, I was sure we'd make it) but I totally understand.

I'm overwhelmed at how NCL reacted for this passenger. We made a U-Turn and took about 10 hours to get to Cozumel, then 10 hours to catch back up. Can't imagine how much that cost them in fuel, not to mention all the excursions on GSC that were refunded. Makes me feel good that if something ever happened to me, they'd do the same.

Breakaway also had a medical emergency last week. We were on our way to Costa Maya but went toward Cancun to meet the Mexico Navy at 12:30 at night to transfer a patient. We went to Cozumel the next day instead of Costa Maya. But there was almost no time to organize excursions... and although we booked something it was cancelled due to high winds (50mph) and rain.

Pretty sure the Mexico Navy is not equipped to do helicopter medivacs and apparently Key West was not an option for us either.

Breakaway also had a medical emergency last week. We were on our way to Costa Maya but went toward Cancun to meet the Mexico Navy at 12:30 at night to transfer a patient. We went to Cozumel the next day instead of Costa Maya. But there was almost no time to organize excursions... and although we booked something it was cancelled due to high winds (50mph) and rain.

Pretty sure the Mexico Navy is not equipped to do helicopter medivacs and apparently Key West was not an option for us either.[/quote

Perhaps you need to think again:

https://navaltoday.com/2017/12/07/mexican-navy-receives-final-two-as565-panther-helicopters/