Getaway Review 11-26-17

bravesfan19

Thank you so much for this. We're going to be on the December 24th sailing, and this info will definately help with the planning!!

You are welcome, we kept trying to find current copies of the freestyle dailies before we sailed but I couldn't find them anywhere.

Looking through the dailies it appears that the O'Sheehan prime rib specials are gone. I'd heard they were gone on the smaller ships. Sad. They always had 2 nights each cruise with that special. I think you may have liked O'Sheehans a bit better, had they kept that one. It's really a shame when stop serving a really popular item.

thanks for the review.

Looking through the dailies it appears that the O'Sheehan prime rib specials are gone. I'd heard they were gone on the smaller ships. Sad. They always had 2 nights each cruise with that special. I think you may have liked O'Sheehans a bit better, had they kept that one. It's really a shame when stop serving a really popular item.

thanks for the review.

I think I remember seeing something on the ship about all you can eat prime rib at O’Sheehan’s, but I’m not certain.

thanks for the review.

Check Day #1 and Day #3 closer, it is listed.

Edited by norway olin

I think I remember seeing something on the ship about all you can eat prime rib at O’Sheehan’s, but I’m not certain.

We were on this same cruise. There was definitely prime rib at O'Sheehan's at least once and maybe twice. We didn't go, but it was listed on the dailies.

Curious, did you happen to notice if Diet Mountain Dew was available anywhere onboard?

Water, water, everywhere, but not a drop of Dew (diet, or otherwise) to drink! :(

Sorry to say, the soft drink options on board are rather limited.

Cirque du Soleil Steam- The show was phenomenal and the food was good. The worst part about the food, is that it's not cooked to order. All the steak is prepared the same way, which appeared to be rare. The show itself is worth the extra money.

Cagney's- The food was delicious, we ate there twice and loved everything we had. The filet was great and very tender. Don't forget the 7 layer chocolate cake, oh my.

Teppanyaki- This was probably the best Japanese steak house we've ever ate at. The portions are huge, everyone at our table left food on their plate.

Moderno- We loved the concept of this restaurant and the salad bar but eating this much meat is just not our thing. I think it was more quantity instead of quality.

Our least favorite place was O'sheehans, they quality of the food wasn't good, neither was the selection. It seems to have really went down hill since our last time eating there 2 years ago.

The entertainment was great, Million Dollar Quartet is not to be missed!! Burn the Floor was good, and the cast was very talented. We also enjoyed all the different game shows and events that were held in the Atrium. There were 2 or 3 different events in the atrium every evening, it was a very lively place.

We were on the same sailing, and could not agree more with the OP on the quality of the food (or the lack thereof in O'Sheehan's :( ) and the production shows. The Cirque Dreams show is not to be missed (the Steampunk-themed costumes and sets are amazing!!), as is the ship's production of the Broadway musical, "Million Dollar Quartet" (especially if you are a '50s rockabilly buff). The current cast just joined the ship in early November, and two of them are from the national tour.

great first "review" post by Bravesfan19!

Thanks for the dailies. I've been looking for them for a couple of weeks. We are taking our family on the Getaway for Christmas and some of them have never cruised before. These will help explain what happens on a cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
This is my 1st ever review, so hopefully I'm doing this correctly.My wife and I booked this trip at the last minute, only 10 days before the sail date. This is not how we normally book cruises, but in doing this, we got the best deal on a cruise that we've ever got. I love the new NCL bidding process, we won a bid on a balcony for only $50 pp extra over our inside room price.

This was my 27th cruise, and we don't have children. It was just my wife and I on the cruise. We are both in our late 30's. We aren't loyal to any one brand, but usually stick with RCCL, Carnival or NCL. We really enjoyed this cruise and needed this time away to relax and unplug.

Due to getting such a good deal on the cruise, we decided to splurge and get the 7 night ultimate dining package. We were really glad we booked the UDP in the end. We also booked the new Cirque du Soleil Steam show. Here are my thought on the other specialty restaurants that we tried.

Cirque du Soleil Steam- The show was phenomenal and the food was good. The worst part about the food, is that it's not cooked to order. All the steak is prepared the same way, which appeared to be rare. The show itself is worth the extra money.

Cagney's- The food was delicious, we ate there twice and loved everything we had. The filet was great and very tender. Don't forget the 7 layer chocolate cake, oh my.

Teppanyaki- This was probably the best Japanese steak house we've ever ate at. The portions are huge, everyone at our table left food on their plate.

Le Bistro- I had the Dover Sole and French Onion Soup and both we're delicious

La Cucina- We were not impressed with the food, it wasn't bad, just not great

Moderno- We loved the concept of this restaurant and the salad bar but eating this much meat is just not our thing. I think it was more quantity instead of quality.

The buffet was always very well stocked and seemed to always be open. The food at the buffet was good and they had both soft serve and hand dipped ice cream available. We ate breakfast in the main dining room several times and were not that impressed with it. We both thought that Carnival's Sea Day brunch was much better. Our least favorite place was O'sheehans, they quality of the food wasn't good, neither was the selection. It seems to have really went down hill since our last time eating there 2 years ago.

The entertainment was great, Million Dollar Quartet is not to be missed!! Burn the Floor was good, and the cast was very talented. We also enjoyed all the different game shows and events that were held in the Atrium. There were 2 or 3 different events in the atrium every evening, it was a very lively place.

The ports were Roatan, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya and Cozumel.

Roatan- Honduras- We booked an independent tour with Cleve from Cleve's Tours. This tour was excellent and I highly recommend him. He also has near perfect reviews on Trip Advisor.

Harvest Caye- Belieze- This was beach day for us. All the chairs and umbrellas were free. The beach is nice, but no free food or drinks are available at the port. The food and drinks that you can purchase are very expensive.

Costa Maya- We toured the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins through NCL

Cozumel- We took the chocolate tour through NCL

I hope this review doesn't seem negative, because we loved the cruise overall. I would not hesitate to book the ship or any other NCL ship again.

If you have any other specific questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

How long did you wait on your bid? We booked for July 1 last week and bid on an upgrade. We are currently inside GTY. I’m starting to get nervous. We don’t mind inside (it’s a first for us) but we’re a week out and still no cabin assignment.

Sent from my iPad using Forums