Independence Norovirus Outbreak?

JakeyK414

MR LED,

Did you happen to notice while on Indy if they were offering the drink cards? ( 10 drinks for a set price ) Today is my last day to decide on the drink package and sadly Im still unsure. 9 days of everyday drinking would get old quick. But I enjoy having it. Just wanted to ask.

They used to have a wine package also, but Im not seeing it listed.

Thanks!

We leave on Anthem OTS in a few days. It "went noro" a couple of cruises ago. Never gave one thought to cancelling and we're not going to ruin our cruise worrying about what may happen. Perhaps the best thing to remember is ships don't make people sick; people make people sick - on land and at sea.

Just off 19 nights on Anthem. 11/25/17 then 12/2/17. No issues. For the 1st leg on 11/25 boarding was delayed for an enhanced cleaning despite no issues the previous cruise. Upon boarding I could see the glass elevators had a film of sanitizing solution so the glass wasn't sparkling. I knew what it was so no big deal. A few days later the glass was sparkling clean. The 2nd leg on 12/2/17 was normal. I'm back on Anthem in January. Enjoy your cruise!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/200-passengers-aboard-royal-caribbean-ship-stricken-stomach/story?id=51829904

Not many people really... At this time of the year with over 4,000 people on the ship you would expect quite a few to be sick.

I was on the Independence 12/11sailing. I assure you there were many many more than 220 sick. I read a report on AOL that stated 320... much more than that I assure you. Hallways closed and detoured. elevators closed for cleaning. Blowers drying restroom floors. My wife and I were both sick for a day. Food poisoning. Some people had Noro some food poisoning but they are lumping all together and under reporting the number to the press. Good news was many seats available for shows etc. by Thursday night. One side of the windjammer was closed yet plenty of empty tables at 6:30. Room service waits of up to 3 hours one guest told me. So what does that indicate?

On Indy now. I love reading the CC posts. They are very entertaining! No is going hungry on the ship. Yes some fresh selections are limited like salad toppings. (Tomato’s, cucumbers, etc). But still a lot of food that is normal RCCL quality. Which has declined over the years. The Captain on the first day announced that the previous sailing had norovirus, they are not hiding anything. The crew is cleaning everything all the time. I think it’s great to have a clean ship. So far I have not heard if anyone on this sailing has norovirus. Hopefully that continues, they are making sure we clean our hands. Again I have had more than enough food and getting my money’s worth on my drink pkg. Great weather and fun times!

Thanks for giving us an accurate take on this! Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Because they ended the cruise at a US port they are required to report the number of cases that were reported to them. Here is the report to the CDC. It lists 310 reported passenger cases representing 7.45% of the passengers and 23 crew representing 1.65% of the crew. A CDC official and epidemiologist also boarded the ship on the 16th to assist in identifying the cause and help assessment and response efforts.

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2017/Independence_Seas12-11.html

So those people who are hunkered down, and hungry, will then just decide to go up to the Windjammer and spread their virus around? You are right, the captain's policy was not a bad idea... it was a stupid one.

I was thinking about why they would make this rule and think somebody mentioned that the sick people had food delivered in disposable containers so that the dishes wouldn't be brought back to the kitchen. Maybe that's why they wouldn't allow a plate of food to be taken from the kitchen. They may have been concerned it would be used in the cabin by a sick person and then the contaminated dish would be picked up by the employees and not handled properly.

I was thinking about why they would make this rule and think somebody mentioned that the sick people had food delivered in disposable containers so that the dishes wouldn't be brought back to the kitchen. Maybe that's why they wouldn't allow a plate of food to be taken from the kitchen. They may have been concerned it would be used in the cabin by a sick person and then the contaminated dish would be picked up by the employees and not handled properly.

Agree that's why. Also when you are sick with Noro, disposable containers and no room service charges...

has the CDC called it Noro? I thought only the CDC could determine Noro. And I thought Noro symptoms lasted about a week...these quick recoveries sound like GI instead. Regardless of what it was...I'm allergic to the sanitizer they use to deep clean so I'm glad I wasn't on Indy at this time. I will be in February so I hope the sickness season will be waning by then!

I’m currently on the Indy and everything is fine. They are still serving us in the windjammer. They are constantly cleaning everywhere you look. I haven’t heard of any problems on this sailing. Enjoy your cruise.

Perfect, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Okay, I'm back down in my cabin now.

The issues started a couple of hours after lunch at Labadee yesterday. We talked with several people, word first started getting around at Dinner last night. Adults and children who opted for the hot dog at lunch yesterday the majority were ill within a few hours, this included many who had the dogs on the ship. Those who had the hot dog were mostly fine mid afternoon today whether they'd been down to medical or not. These people did not infect any cabin mates. (I personally know a family of five staying in two joined cabins down from me, one had the hot dog and got sick. Two stayed with him all night last night and never experienced any symptoms. He was fine by 2pm today. same story from others that I've talked to in elevators and bars across the ship. Others have reported illness in those who did not eat the apparently tainted dogs who have infected their companions.

I think we have a small Norovirus outbreak. and a large case of food poisoning.

I also think some staff has gotten ill as well. My steward was fine earlier today and from previous conversations I know that he does not have a day off during this cruise, but whoever serviced my room this evening was not him. In fact I've not seen him since before I disembarked in Falmouth today.

The reality is that often times 'food poisoning' is really when the handler (or cook) who handled all the hotdogs had norovirus and infected all the hot dogs. So it's anyone's guess whether it was true food poisoning or whether it was norovirus that multiplied within all the hotdogs.

has the CDC called it Noro? I thought only the CDC could determine Noro. And I thought Noro symptoms lasted about a week...these quick recoveries sound like GI instead. Regardless of what it was...I'm allergic to the sanitizer they use to deep clean so I'm glad I wasn't on Indy at this time. I will be in February so I hope the sickness season will be waning by then!

Norovirus symptoms last 1-3 days.

Any laboratory that can perform genomic amplification via reverse-transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) and antigen detection via enzyme immunoassays can diagnose Noro. There is nothing special about the CDC.

MR LED,

Did you happen to notice while on Indy if they were offering the drink cards? ( 10 drinks for a set price ) Today is my last day to decide on the drink package and sadly Im still unsure. 9 days of everyday drinking would get old quick. But I enjoy having it. Just wanted to ask.

They used to have a wine package also, but Im not seeing it listed.

Thanks!

I cruised on Indy from December 2nd to December 7th. I had the drink package, but I did notice, that at least the last 3 days of the 5 day cruise they were selling drink cards 10 for $85.

So it is the last day of our 5 night cruise. Some updates.

1. Food is certainly limited and being served is frustrating. An example being loyalty lounges do not have anything self serve or appetizers. If you booked a suite I'd fight for some money back.

2. The cruise has been a good time. Our weather has been a 10/10 and the workers have been slaving to make everything as best as possible. The ship is definitely showing some wear but don't mistake that for their cleanliness.

3. No one is hiding Noro happened. The captain acknowledged it the first day. Any during games like Quest of Love and Marriage they make jokes and wipe down the microphone with Purell between contestants. The washy washy jokes are in excess.

4. CD Marc must have been sick. I heard about how great he was and how he is moving to Harmony then Symphony but he barely made announcements the first three days but since yesterday has been around and apparent and hosting Love and Marriage. The AM Marc did host Quest.

5. There are still some red flags. Numerous crew said that the Norovirus protocol would have been lifted Day 3 and we would be back to normal yesterday. Today there have been some enchanted precautions. The arcade has been shut down, the protocol has not been lifted, and they are even sanitizing pens before giving them to sign checks at the bar (the arcade and bar protocol are NEW and have not happened all week). So I'm to assume some people still got sick but certainly NOTHING like last week. If you are coming on the 9-night I'd still be cautious and expect Norovirus protocol.

Hubby and I will be on the December 30th sailing - it's our first cruise and we haven't been on vacation since well before our six-year-old son was born. I'm trying not to panic; hopefully everything will be in good shape by then.

I was wondering, though...it sounds like a lot of the trouble may be from sick passengers going down to the medical facilities. Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to send medical personnel to the cabins? I could see there being an issue with not having enough people, but wherever they are they can only see one person at a time anyway.

So it is the last day of our 5 night cruise. Some updates.

1. Food is certainly limited and being served is frustrating. An example being loyalty lounges do not have anything self serve or appetizers. If you booked a suite I'd fight for some money back.

2. The cruise has been a good time. Our weather has been a 10/10 and the workers have been slaving to make everything as best as possible. The ship is definitely showing some wear but don't mistake that for their cleanliness.

3. No one is hiding Noro happened. The captain acknowledged it the first day. Any during games like Quest of Love and Marriage they make jokes and wipe down the microphone with Purell between contestants. The washy washy jokes are in excess.

4. CD Marc must have been sick. I heard about how great he was and how he is moving to Harmony then Symphony but he barely made announcements the first three days but since yesterday has been around and apparent and hosting Love and Marriage. The AM Marc did host Quest.

5. There are still some red flags. Numerous crew said that the Norovirus protocol would have been lifted Day 3 and we would be back to normal yesterday. Today there have been some enchanted precautions. The arcade has been shut down, the protocol has not been lifted, and they are even sanitizing pens before giving them to sign checks at the bar (the arcade and bar protocol are NEW and have not happened all week). So I'm to assume some people still got sick but certainly NOTHING like last week. If you are coming on the 9-night I'd still be cautious and expect Norovirus protocol.

Thanks for the update.

We will be boarding the ship tomorrow but haven't heard from Royal on delayed boarding time as it was for your sailing so at least it sounds like that part is back to regular schedule.

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk