Carnival vs. RC

SpeedsterX

Seriously, you must be joking,,,Sorrento's=worst pizza at sea, the premade sands in the mall are garbage, and don't get hungry late, cause on RCL you got nothing edible! And the lines everywhere on the 5000-7000 passenger ship RCL's are certainly longer then Carnivals!

Have you been on the Vista? Talk about lines!! Yes Pizza on Carnival is better. RCL has a better product overall.

Solarium Bistro was not free for dinners on Harmony AND you better have a reservation or you most likely will not get in.

Didn't have that experience on Harmony or Allure.

You made this up. Why? There is a standby line for just about everything if you prefer to stand in line like you are used to doing on Carnival. We skipped the comedy show at Carnival after it was clear you had to wait in a line that wrapped down the Promenade. Reservations would have been great. Having the option to skip the line with a reservation "fast pass" is bad, why? And Solarium Bistro recommends reservations, but doesn't require them, like just about any upcharge restaurant.

You really missed out because the comedy is great on Carnival. Also, that line is for the next show while the current show is still going. Once the show ends they empty it out, do a quick cleanup, and then open the doors and that line comes in all at once. The reason they are mainly ling up is to get the seats the desire because it is first come first serve. Also the line is there when there are back to back shows on the schedule. If you come to the show that comes before in the pair you can just walk right in without a line but you better get there early. Comedy is the best entertainment on Carnival.

There is also no lines at the buffet because RC modernized the layout. They use islands that rapidly move people from station to station versus the long queue that Carnival uses. And I've said it over and over, that Carnival makes great pizza, much better than Royal. But again, those lines. 5 times I probably went to get pizza and only ended up ordering twice because the line and wait was brutal since they make every pizza from scratch. I wish Carnival would have some premade slices to speed things up.

I prefer the Royal buffet layout better too and it is better. However, it can still result in lines but just MUCH shorter ones. (2 to 4 people each line)

The pizza place on Carnival actually does make pizza in batches that are available immediately but as you have learned it is very popular and goes fast during the popular times. I’ve seen it empty with 5 pizzas made and jump out of the pool to go get some and they are gone before I can dry off and I have to wait. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Had to be an aberration as the Glory is almost always less!:confused:

I'm on the Glory in a couple weeks. Our Glory suite was more money than the suite I had on Harmony. This is even with a discount from our canceled Fascination cruise and the Harmony was over a holiday weekend.

Harmony JS Suite is a hell of a lot nicer than a Carnival suite. Harmony came with so many perks. Besides priority boarding Carnival doesn't give you ***** for a suite. Harmony JS suite included WOW bracelets, specialty restaurant every night included, free alcoholic drinks, much nicer bathroom amenities, and a much better designed room. Carnival is way behind on perks for suite guests or repeat cruises.

I prefer the Royal buffet layout better too and it is better. However, it can still result in lines but just MUCH shorter ones. (2 to 4 people each line)Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree, Royal does an excellent job with the buffet islands. Way better setup than Carnival. Less lines and more choices on Royal.

You really missed out because the comedy is great on Carnival. Also, that line is for the next show while the current show is still going. Once the show ends they empty it out, do a quick cleanup, and then open the doors and that line comes in all at once. The reason they are mainly ling up is to get the seats the desire because it is first come first serve. Also the line is there when there are back to back shows on the schedule. If you come to the show that comes before in the pair you can just walk right in without a line but you better get there early. Comedy is the best entertainment on Carnival.

I prefer the Royal buffet layout better too and it is better. However, it can still result in lines but just MUCH shorter ones. (2 to 4 people each line)

The pizza place on Carnival actually does make pizza in batches that are available immediately but as you have learned it is very popular and goes fast during the popular times. I’ve seen it empty with 5 pizzas made and jump out of the pool to go get some and they are gone before I can dry off and I have to wait. LOL

We watched the "family" comedy show on the Carnival ship. It was good. Found a spot back by the bar on a stool, it was fine but not ideal or terribly comfortable. And then they kick everyone out and the line wraps around for the adult show and you are lucky to get a seat, we didn't bother. On Harmony, we simply walked down, walked in and grabbed just about any seat we wanted only a few minutes before the show with no line at all and plenty of good seating. The standby guests were then let in and they filled in the less desirable seats but everyone actually got in (Harmony has a bigger comedy club than Oasis/Allure). Reservations + Standby is better.

In Puerto Rico, started pouring and we got back on the ship just in time. It was pretty much empty by the aft pool so we grabbed a few pizzas, a few drinks, and really enjoyed people watching on the docks. Their pizzas are REALLY good on Carnival if you don't mind waiting. The service is also outstanding on Carnival and consistently good. Another poster mentioned this too... that Royal has higher highs but lower lows when it comes to service, where Carnival seems to have a culture that just hits 95% - 100% consistently. I would agree with that.

I'm on the Glory in a couple weeks. Our Glory suite was more money than the suite I had on Harmony. This is even with a discount from our canceled Fascination cruise and the Harmony was over a holiday weekend.

Harmony JS Suite is a hell of a lot nicer than a Carnival suite. Harmony came with so many perks. Besides priority boarding Carnival doesn't give you ***** for a suite. Harmony JS suite included WOW bracelets, specialty restaurant every night included, free alcoholic drinks, much nicer bathroom amenities, and a much better designed room. Carnival is way behind on perks for suite guests or repeat cruises.

Did you get some sort of a special? Junior Suites do not provide free specialty restaurants or free drink packages. I've sailed a JS on Oasis and it was "ok". Access to Coastal Kitchen for dinner and not having to worry about being charged for towels were the 2 best benefits. We decided not to sail JS's anymore because it just didn't offer much. I don't think Carnival has much of a focus on suite type guests outside of a few nice options on the Vista. I think NCL probably has the best suite perks with the Haven.

Did you get some sort of a special? Junior Suites do not provide free specialty restaurants or free drink packages. I've sailed a JS on Oasis and it was "ok". Access to Coastal Kitchen for dinner and not having to worry about being charged for towels were the 2 best benefits. We decided not to sail JS's anymore because it just didn't offer much. I don't think Carnival has much of a focus on suite type guests outside of a few nice options on the Vista. I think NCL probably has the best suite perks with the Haven.

The JS on Harmony was cheaper three months out than a year. By a thousand dollars I think. Yes Coastal Kitchen was the specialty restaurant we had access to each evening. We ate dinner at CK twice and they did not charge for alcohol. I hear good things about Haven suites, maybe someday.

The JS on Harmony was cheaper three months out than a year. By a thousand dollars I think. Yes Coastal Kitchen was the specialty restaurant we had access to each evening. We ate dinner at CK twice and they did not charge for alcohol. I hear good things about Haven suites, maybe someday.

Can you give us an idea of the menu and how the food was on CK?

https://www.******************.com/menus/coastal-kitchen-dinner-menu-harmony-of-the-seas

Coastal Kitchen is a big perk for many cruisers. The higher suite levels have breakfast and lunch access as well. Junior Suites only get dinner.

Thanks.....so kind of like the restaurant in the Havens on NCL. I will go look at the menus, thanks!

Thanks.....so kind of like the restaurant in the Havens on NCL. I will go look at the menus, thanks!

Pretty much. I think NCL seems to offer the best suite experience with the Haven. I like where Carnival is going with the exclusive Havana section and that they make it more accessible by having affordable cabins within it. I'm not a huge fan of Royal's suite perks. Royal seems to focus more on having really big, spectacular staterooms and charging a lot for them. I personally don't care much about the stateroom size so it doesn't appeal to me.

Pretty much. I think NCL seems to offer the best suite experience with the Haven. I like where Carnival is going with the exclusive Havana section and that they make it more accessible by having affordable cabins within it. I'm not a huge fan of Royal's suite perks. Royal seems to focus more on having really big, spectacular staterooms and charging a lot for them. I personally don't care much about the stateroom size so it doesn't appeal to me.

Try MSC Yacht Club, you might change your mind!

Have you been on the Vista? Talk about lines!! Yes Pizza on Carnival is better. RCL has a better product overall.

Didn't have that experience on Harmony or Allure.

Will be on the Vista in May for a B2B, will give opinion then!

Layout maybe, but choice and quality, I stick with the Carnival buffet!

went to a popular cruise site, imputed the same criteria, balcony, fla. resident, 55+, past passenger, for the month of may and here is what I got for 3 weeks, seems 1 sailing on the Harmony was sold out so I couldn't compare that week,,,

May 5 Harmony $1127/Glory $819,

May 12 Harmony $1111/Glory $860,

May 26 Harmony $1229/Glory $969,

That's 'about' $500 per couple savings on the Glory!:D

Now you still might chose the Harmony, but as I said, most of the time you save on Carnival!

You'll notice I didn't compare suites cause neither RCL or Carnival are the best for suites, that contest is between NCL Haven and MSC Yacht Club! Both far better then anything Carnival or RCL offer in the suite category!:confused:

MSC has a large international appeal and demographic. It's not my cup of tea. I have heard good things about the Yacht club, though.

Yacht club is great, NCL Haven is too, we prefer the Yacht Club when you wanna spend some extra money!:D

Can you give us an idea of the menu and how the food was on CK?Sent from my iPad using Forums

The menu is limited and portions are small. The menu did change every night. The decor and view are outstanding from CK on Harmony. The food was very good. I probably would have preferred to have breakfast in CK but as a JS suite guest was only allowed in at dinner. I find breakfast on any mass market ship too busy and would prefer a small quiet venue like CK. Dinner I'm better able to deal with crowds and this is from a X- NY'er.

Thanks for the video.

I finally went on Allure. I have been wanting to since it came out. I thought it would be my absolute favorite and I thought I'd love Royal, I thought it was more my personality. As it turned out my family wasn't really thrilled with royal. Probably won't do them again but will absolutely go on Carnival. We had a great time on our trip with them. You just never know.

went to a popular cruise site, imputed the same criteria, balcony, fla. resident, 55+, past passenger, for the month of may and here is what I got for 3 weeks, seems 1 sailing on the Harmony was sold out so I couldn't compare that week,,,

May 5 Harmony $1127/Glory $819,

May 12 Harmony $1111/Glory $860,

May 26 Harmony $1229/Glory $969,

That's 'about' $500 per couple savings on the Glory!:D

Now you still might chose the Harmony, but as I said, most of the time you save on Carnival!

You'll notice I didn't compare suites cause neither RCL or Carnival are the best for suites, that contest is between NCL Haven and MSC Yacht Club! Both far better then anything Carnival or RCL offer in the suite category!:confused:

Harmony was cheaper for me for the given cruise. Harmony was in May '17 and Glory is in two weeks. Comparing a brand new ships prices and an older ship is not very fair. Compare Vista with Harmony and you should see some similar prices. I would agree Carnival is usually cheaper but you do get more with Royal. Carnival is just a cheaper brand all around.

Carnival is known for being the party line. I've encountered loads of wasted people on Carnival ships. I also felt Carnival was more family friendly at the same time. I also loved the food on Carnival. Meanwhile, I felt RC was a bit less crazy and a bit more laid back than Carnival. I wasn't a fan of the food on RC but felt their on board entertainment and activities are the best.

I do like Carnival obviously, look at my history but I was very much impressed with Royals Allure. The only thing I think Carnival has that’s better is the buffet, I found RC buffet disgusting.

Royal is a good product or at least their Oasis class ships are.

Harmony was cheaper for me for the given cruise. Harmony was in May '17 and Glory is in two weeks. Comparing a brand new ships prices and an older ship is not very fair. Compare Vista with Harmony and you should see some similar prices. I would agree Carnival is usually cheaper but you do get more with Royal. Carnival is just a cheaper brand all around.

Comparing brand new ship prices vs older ships isn't fair but comparing two sailings booked a year apart is? (Unless I am misreading when you sailed on Harmony and will be sailing on Glory.)